Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zamano

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This happened to me years ago - started getting these texts taking money off my phone it was over 10 euro so I rang my phone provider. They kept saying I must have signed up I was 100% that I had not I never sign up to any downloads and had not even used the browser on the phone at all. I would not get off the phone til they told me who was charging me.

I rang them (it was not zamano a different company at the time). They had no evidence I had signed to anything (they knew damn well I had not) so I demanded a full refund and to be removed from all lists. I did actually get a refund cheque in the post for the 11 euro and I havent got a text since.

ironically a few weeks later I came into work and a colleague was on the phone to the same provider who were letting on that they did not know whop was charging her and could nto give details. Luckily I overheard it and told her what happened to me. She said 'my colleague has just informed me the same happened to her last week and its X thats doing it and you know it'. 2 minutes later she had the contact details for the company and was able to get it all sorted. what maddened me was the the phobe providers knew what was going on and didnt care and were reluctant to give details - I did wonder if it was phone provider who gave theis crowd my number in first place!
    your phone provider makes more from these texts than Zamano does! it is not in their interest for the texts to be stopped by you so they are very slow to give information.
    Got a total refund off ZAMANO .. It was a battle and its not over yet .. Today i got a letter off REGTEL accusing me of being a racist ! "I kid you not !" .. I contacted Zamanos customer services that are base in the Philippines and i negotiated a full refund with a lovely girl called mel .

I gave her my name and address so they could send a refund cheque ..The next day i got a letter off Zamano telling me they weren't paying me a refund .. The number for their HQ in Dublin was written at the bottom of the page so i gave them a call .. They hung up on me .. Bad idea as i phoned them everyday till someone dealt with my complaint .. It worked and after they tried to fob me off i finally got a full refund .. REGTEL started an enquiry and ZAMANO said , and i quote "His refusal to deal with non-Irish personnel made it even more difficult for the service provider to assist him !".... They continued "Mr Walters has been fully refunded as a "Gesture of good will" on the basis that he did not download any content .

This matter is still not resolved to my satisfaction .. Watch this space..
    You can find me on facebook under Christy J Walters
    they were refusing to progress your case and escalate it so you refused to deal with them instead dealing with another branch of the company that has sent you your refund!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

foggy_lad wrote: »
    your phone provider makes more from these texts than Zamano does! it is not in their interest for the texts to be stopped by you so they are very slow to give information.

Out of each text, how much does the network make and how much does the likes of Zamano make?
    I'd seriously doubt the network makes more, but you obviously have the figure to hand to support what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,218 ✭✭✭✭noodler

These people are thieves. Plain and simple.

I had a similar situation where €5 was taken from my balance the second I topped up and I got a horoscope text or two. There was absolutely no instructions (text stop etc) in the text.

It was a 5 digit number and I rang Meteor who informed me it was Zamano and gave me a phone number to ring to get taken off their list (Meteor also informed me they have had huge problems with the company in question).

I got some woman with an american accent and the call was very faint, she completely fobbed me off, first she told me I signed up, then when I pushed her for details she on when exactly she got vague again and promised a call back but I never recieved one.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I can only assume I signed up when my phone was in my pocket too but I highly doubt it.

Legislation banning this stuff needs to be brought in - signing up for a service like this need to involve more than pressing one button on your phone.

I also sent an emial to the regulator but never heard anything back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I got a mobile number of their irish website. I asked him which body part he wanted to keep because i was coming looking for him if my number was not deleted of their system and a refund put on my account. I got a cheque 3 days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭owainglyndwr

Hi all ... Right, I've managed to get a full refund off ZAMANO and because they treated me with contempt I've taking it further by lobbying for a change of law .. Eamon Ryan ignored my emails so i called on Senator Noel Coonan to handle my case . Within a week i received many letters of intent from the minister for Communications Eamon Ryan . I also received correspondence from those "fine"(OK OK that's sarcastic)people from REGTEL ! These guys never fail to amuse me with there "Uuuhhm Pat Breen isn't in his office right now , we'll pass the message on and he'll contact you ! I'm still waiting ! In the meantime Regtel being impartial (Don't snigger) sent me a letter after contacting Zamano (Some say they investigated ! I say they shared Cigars and talked about Golf)and ho what a lovely letter it is! as, not only have they accused me of being a "Racist"(now you can laugh) but they also implied that i am thick as two short planks!.

Your already aware of the "Gesture of good will" quote from ZAMANO(I don't normally repeat myself, sorry I blame the Curry i had earlier!)

Following our investigation, RegTel can find no issue with the manner in which this service was promoted, operated and delivered and can confirm that it complies with our code of practice. I also note from information to hand that Mr Walters has been fully refunded as a "Gesture of good will" on the basis that he did not download any content.

I have some disturbing news to report. As of next July RegTel will be ComReg and i believe that the merger is taking place as we speak if the conversation i had with RegTel last week is anything to go by .. I mind my P's &Q's when dealing with them but i don't hold back on my criticism and to say they had an ear full is an understatement ... They broke the conversation with the feeble excuse that they had another call to take ..

Now I've tried to push the point that the only way of protecting people from being scammed in the future is to introduce legislation compelling Zamano and other similar companies to send an E receipt each and every-time they charged the customer/client/target for services provided ! Also, any company found to be in breach of the guidelines set down will have their licence/s suspended whilst an investigation is being conducted .. How difficult could that be? I think its reasonable !!

All the best and remember this "I was refunded as a gesture of good will" That might spur you on .. Don't give up !!

Christy J Walters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

RegTel?

- Why do they, or is it did they exist, when we have Comreg?

Perhaps instead of merging they could instead create another 8 useless, inefficient, corrupt, self-serving, arséhole infested Quangos so we could give larger amounts of wasted money to a greater number of idle, careerist, profiteering W@nkers.

Fair play to you, and I'd hasten to add that if you are publicly perceived to be a Racist then surely you must have grounds for libel/slander/defamation of Character (delete as appropriate)

Certainly it is a serious matter to be vilified as a Racist and then have the outrageous accusation certified as such by a State Authority which you are funding via PAYE...... Might be time to clear your good name :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Zamano have a call centre somewhere in the third world and anybody who takes a firm line with them for fraud is automatically accused of racism by Zamano management to make the complainant look bad.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Zamano have a call centre somewhere in the third world and anybody who takes a firm line with them for fraud is automatically accused of racism by Zamano management to make the complainant look bad.

They are leaving themselves open to the "Racists" getting organised and taking legal action - especially since they seem happy to make this cynical and stupid assertion on paper in black and white.

- I most certainly wouldn't tolerate this.

ZAMANO plc 4 st, Catherine's Lane West, The Digital Hub, Dublin 8

Tel 014885820 Fax 014885821 www.zamano.com Head Office

0818300048 Customer Service Philippine's

Dept of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Tel 016789807
    Lo Call 1890449900
    minister.ryan@dcenr.gov.ie

www.dcenr.gov.ie

Eamon Ryan has recently introduced new legislation via the Communications Regulation (Premium Rate Services and Electronic Communications Infrastructure) Act 2010 to bring the situation under control.

The Act was signed into law on 16Th March last and will come into effect on 12Th July next in relation to the regulation premium rate services.

The Act provides for: Transfer of the regulation premium rate service from self regulatory body RegTel to the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg)

The licensing of premium rate services and the conditions that shall be attached to a licence, including provision for refunds of charges paid by user.

Sanctions (amendment, suspension and revocation of a licence) for breaches of the regulations.

Eamon Ryan

The day Eamon Ryan shows any initiative, ability to operate independently of Fianna Fail, teeth and general strength of character - I'll pull out my own teeth with a Pliers and post them to Dail Eireann via Registered Post.

- In fairness Zamano have never wronged the People of this State as comprehensively, greedily, ruthlessly, dishonestly, shamefully and relentlessly as the ignorant Cowboy outfit that is The Green Party.

Worse still the sins of Zamano will be short lived - The Curse of the Green Party in their role as enablers for Fianna Fail in propping up our ridiculously inept Government will haunt us for many, many Decades to come and live on to Blight our Children's lives also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Raiser wrote: »
    The day Eamon Ryan shows any initiative, ability to operate independently of Fianna Fail, teeth and general strength of character - I'll pull out my own teeth with a Pliers and post them to Dail Eireann via Registered Post.

- In fairness Zamano have never wronged the People of this State as comprehensively, greedily, ruthlessly, dishonestly, shamefully and relentlessly as the ignorant Cowboy outfit that is The Green Party.

Worse still the sins of Zamano will be short lived - The Curse of the Green Party in their role as enablers for Fianna Fail in propping up our ridiculously inept Government will haunt us for many, many Decades to come and live on to Blight our Children's lives also.

I just got a text from "Caseys" saying there is a sale on this w/e, the end of the message was "Opt out free? Text Caseys to 50015". Since I am on 3 and they do not have online itemised statements I dont know if I was reversed charged for this SMS. Is it likely that I was? Obviously I'm not going to reply to the text just wondering if I was ripped off!

Note Caseys is a furniture shop in Cork - I bought something off them 5 years go and I gave them my phone no. for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

OneWayBet wrote: »
    I just got a text from "Caseys" saying there is a sale on this w/e, the end of the message was "Opt out free? Text Caseys to 50015". Since I am on 3 and they do not have online itemised statements I dont know if I was reversed charged for this SMS. Is it likely that I was? Obviously I'm not going to reply to the text just wondering if I was ripped off!

Note Caseys is a furniture shop in Cork - I bought something off them 5 years go and I gave them my phone no. for delivery.

Quick response from Caseys, looks like I would not have been charged.

We understand from our provider that 50015 is a shared short code, which is hosted by a company called Zamano. A large number of companies and brands would use the same numbers such as 51444, 53033, 57030 & 50015. Each has a different cost associated to it (some of the companies using these numbers may have used the number incorrectly – but from what we understand this would not have been Zamano – which are a listed company)

The 50015 is a Fee to text Shared Short Code number we have organised, as we wished to cover the cost of any Opt outs fully. There will be NO cost to the end user.

If you prefer in place of using the number please confirm if you wish to opt out via e-mail and I will remove your number from our database.

As ZAMANO paid me a refund as a "GESTURE OF GOOD WILL" because i didn't download any content , I think thats an avenue you need to explore if you haven't downloaded any content !! Fight the good fight ... !!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭El Camino

RegTel?

- Why do they, or is it did they exist, when we have Comreg?

RegTEl weren't a Quango but were funded jointly by the Mobile industry and the Content and service providers. A percentage of each PSMS went towards their funding. So at least it wasn't government money down the drain.

They genuinely were rather inept in their management of custoerm queries and didn't play much of a role in curtailing certain sharp practices that were prevalent over the past number of years. I don't believe that this is such a widespread issue anymore but some providers were notorious at the time.

RegTel are now ComReg - same guys, just a different name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

As ZAMANO paid me a refund as a "GESTURE OF GOOD WILL" because i didn't download any content , I think thats an avenue you need to explore if you haven't downloaded any content !! Fight the good fight ... !!
    calling it a gesture of goodwill does not show all the instances of their theft from people though as it indicates they gave you back money after you had made a mistake in subscribing etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

:mad:

Background info : I am 35 years old and I am not a fan of Podge and Rodge .

Without my knowledge I was subscribed to a premium service ( 2.50 every 6 days ) for Podge and Rodge content!!!

I don’t mean someone subscribed me, I mean I put the handset (k800i - a fine handset apart from the nuisance "open browser" shortcut key ) into my pocket and when I removed it I had received a message saying to download this weeks podge and rodge clip click here ( I didn’t click )

I contacted O2 on 17/09 and they said that they had no record of me having been subscribed to a premium service.

All the messages I received ( about 1 a week ) were “Click here to download this weeks podge and rodge clip” , no indication that I was being charged.

Then on 11/10 I received a message from “FREE MSG” ( containing details as to how I could unsubscribe – text STOP to 57030 )

I checked my bill today and there is a charge of €8.20 on my account for premium services.

I queried with 02 and the only text message that they have a record of is the “FREE MSG” one on 11/10 ( they do not see the “click here to download” messages )

I requested that Zamano delete my name from their database and that they refund me. They said they would remove me from the database but that they would not refund me.

I wish to express my annoyance at the sharp practices being engaged in by this company.

I’m sure there are some genuine customers who are willing to pay for compelling content but if a 35 year old who has worked in IT /Web area for the last 10 years ( ok I still don’t have an iPhone) can be unwittingly subscribed to a premium service in this way then it raises questions about what this company are doing.

They even charge you .35c a minute to ring their customer service!

My dislike for Podge and Rodge has also increased... can someone remind me how much the TV licence costs :)

Got a total refund off ZAMANO .. It was a battle and its not over yet .. Today i got a letter off REGTEL accusing me of being a racist ! "I kid you not !" .. I contacted Zamanos customer services that are base in the Philippines and i negotiated a full refund with a lovely girl called mel .

I gave her my name and address so they could send a refund cheque ..The next day i got a letter off Zamano telling me they weren't paying me a refund .. The number for their HQ in Dublin was written at the bottom of the page so i gave them a call .. They hung up on me .. Bad idea as i phoned them everyday till someone dealt with my complaint .. It worked and after they tried to fob me off i finally got a full refund .. REGTEL started an enquiry and ZAMANO said , and i quote "His refusal to deal with non-Irish personnel made it even more difficult for the service provider to assist him !".... They continued "Mr Walters has been fully refunded as a "Gesture of good will" on the basis that he did not download any content .

This matter is still not resolved to my satisfaction .. Watch this space..
    You can find me on facebook under Christy J Walters

I was on the phone to them just now... the sound quality on the line ( once I got passed the overly long intro sequence ) was atrocious.. sounds like the call centre was outdoors :)

anyway the agent asked for my number and then my name. which I gave to them at the start of the phone call.

the agent then asked for my name again when I asked them to remove me from the database.

I said "you don't have my name on your system!" , I'm not giving you my name.

I suspect I was subscribed in one of 2 ways.

1) the handset was unlocked, placed in my pocket and the open web browser button was depressed. the podge and rodge link was probably a banner ad on the O2 home page. and somehow I managed to click the banner ad and subscribe.

2) I requested to be in the podge and rodge audience for the TV show many moons ago. perhaps at the time I gave the producers my phone number. this may have been passed on to Zamano.

I'm also annoyed with o2 for their part in this. I'm not locked into a contract with them so emobile is looking like an option at this stage.

You're almost obliged to demand your money back - Otherwise Zamano will continue to rob People blind.....

You're almost obliged to demand your money back - Otherwise Zamano will continue to rob People blind.....

Zamano are not going to change their business model i.e.
    rob People.....
    just because I get my money back.

Realistically I haven't time to spend to chase them up over €8.20. I could tell from the agent on the phone that they knew the score and that I was just another sucker who was actually paying money to ring them and complain about them taking money off me in the first place.

reputable companies O2 should not be hosting Zamano "promotions" ... but I suppose a % of that €8.20 goes to 02 as a kick back.

I wonder have there been any genuine customers of this service.. i mean who would want to pay 2.50 every 6 days for a Podge and Rodge clip on their phone?

Have emailed consumerline@comreg.ie so I'll see what they have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭doleman2010

Hi all Ive just spent a year dealing with 02 in relation to a sms premium text scam they were involved in , where they stole money from a dead relatives phone account , members of staff in 02 then provided opt in records which were later proven to be false . this whole industry is about greed , just because they wear suits to work it doesnt make any difference , its a filthy low life way of stealing .
    I had to use some very stern methods to eventually get them to own up to what they done .
    My advice is to report the matter to the Gardai and quote some directors of the company here as a contact for investigation . dont bother with customer care at all .
    The mods wont like this post !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Zamano are not going to change their business model i.e. just because I get my money back.

Realistically I haven't time to spend to chase them up over €8.20. I could tell from the agent on the phone that they knew the score and that I was just another sucker who was actually paying money to ring them and complain about them taking money off me in the first place.

reputable companies O2 should not be hosting Zamano "promotions" ... but I suppose a % of that €8.20 goes to 02 as a kick back.

I wonder have there been any genuine customers of this service.. i mean who would want to pay 2.50 every 6 days for a Podge and Rodge clip on their phone?

Have emailed consumerline@comreg.ie so I'll see what they have to say.

I have lodged a complaint with Comreg, they took €20 from my wifes credit, she's 39 years old and would never subscribe to "Voice Transformer" whatever the fukk that is, I couldn't be ar$ed about €20 but its the principal, I can't let these scum get away with it.

If you just complain to comreg only be careful , some of the staff there were with regtel and may not be the most helpful !
    The people who took your money are the mobile operator, ask them for proof of opt in to the service , time dates whether by the mobile or the internet and cross ref with your mobile bill.
    I requested this with o2 after they stole from a dead family member , a couple of months later they did povide opt in details but they were made up and were proven to be false,
    The mobile companies here are coining it because of lack of legislation in this area. this country is a haven for these con artists at present,
    Dont give up , it took me a year to get them to pay back the money they took and issue an apology to our family .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

If you just complain to comreg only be careful , some of the staff there were with regtel and may not be the most helpful !
    The people who took your money are the mobile operator, ask them for proof of opt in to the service , time dates whether by the mobile or the internet and cross ref with your mobile bill.
    I requested this with o2 after they stole from a dead family member , a couple of months later they did povide opt in details but they were made up and were proven to be false,
    The mobile companies here are coining it because of lack of legislation in this area. this country is a haven for these con artists at present,
    Dont give up , it took me a year to get them to pay back the money they took and issue an apology to our family .

In the past I had complained Zamano to Comreg & Regtel and they were useless. I know at least 4 people including myself who have been done by Zamano.

I believe that there is complete collusion by the mobile companies. I'd love to know who the ultimate owner of Zamano is.

How it happens is actually easy : I had a K800i where the internet can be started by a raised button on the keypad. If you don't lock your phone, something like coins in your pocket can set it on. As it happens, when the browser starts, the cursor first rests on an ad, for a "competition" which turns out to be a subscription service taking €2.50 every so many days. I have tested this and it is very easy to do. It's sharp practice and they must have made millions out of it, especially PAYG users who wouldnt check a statement.

Hi just to give you a clue, work it out for yourselves .
    ZAMANO
    rugby
    O2
    rugby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Seems clear to me that ComReg (RegTel are now absorbed into this body) need to issue a directive on this. It seems unreasonable that you can actually subscribe to this service by hitting a banner advert on a mobile site. There should be a confirmation process that happens afterwards.

Nothing will change until somebody notifies Zamano and ComReg of this. It is worth while informing the operator that this type of advertising on their site is causing these problems.

BTW with premium short codes it is the operator that gets the largest chunk of the money with the service provider getting the rest. Complaining to your mobile provider is not effective - all they will do is e-mail the owner of the shortcode and request an unsubscribe and confirm when it's done. I wouldn't rely on it. The best way is to send STOP to the shortcode in the first instance.

On the other hand there are tens of thousands of people who happily sign up to theses services - many without reading the costs and small print. This is why your mobile operator may seem less than interested when you have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

http://www.zamano.com/investors/BoardOfDirectors.aspx

Michael Watson - Chairman

Michael ("Mike") was Director of Marketing and Technical Strategy for ICL/Fujitsu, Managing Director of BICC Technologies, Director of Sales and Marketing for AEA Technology plc, and Chief Executive of Tertio Ltd. He was previously a non-executive director of AIM listed Spectrum Interactive plc, Xitec plc and OSI Group plc.

John O' Shea - Chief Executive Officer

John joined zamano in 2002, becoming CEO in 2005. An electronics engineer, John worked with Siemens and AT&T in Germany and the USA for 11 years, before joining a web start-up in 1997, which he sold in 2000 for &euro10M to Horizon Technologies. John obtained an MBA from the Open Business School in 1998 and recently completed Leadership 4 Growth, a Stanford University program.

Brendan Mullin - Non-executive Director

Brendan is Managing Director of Bank of Ireland Private Banking. Prior to that, Brendan held positions at NCB Stockbrokers and Quinlan Private Capital.

Colin Tucker - Non-executive Director

Colin was Deputy Chairman of Hutchison 3G Europe between 2003 and 2007. He was a founding main board director of Orange plc and Managing Director of Hutchison 3G UK (trading as 3) between 2000 and 2003. He is a non-executive director of FTSE-listed technology company Monitise plc.

Their Families must be so proud......

- What a pack of absolute w@nkers.

Hi just to give you a clue, work it out for yourselves .
    ZAMANO
    rugby
    O2
    rugby

Brendan Mullin ?

Did anyone manage to get a refund from this ?

Zamano via Comreg supplied me with a log file indicating that I did receive an unsubscribe info message when the suscription began ( i dispute this )

As suspected , the subsciption was triggered using a WAP service (the k800i problem)

Really felt that the benefit of the doubt should be with the customer ( esp. when its so obvious that I had no intent to subscribe to the service, and didn't download anything from them )

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote: »
    I have lodged a complaint with Comreg, they took €20 from my wifes credit, she's 39 years old and would never subscribe to "Voice Transformer" whatever the fukk that is, I couldn't be ar$ed about €20 but its the principal, I can't let these scum get away with it.

they are due to take €20 from me too.. the €8.20 they took off me was for last months bill.. i didn't take account of THIS months bill that I am due to get.

according to Comreg they are obliged to send a "free MSG" to the customer once a sum of €20 has been incurred.

thank you very much Zamano , podge and rodge and O2 :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement