Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I watch now?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I'm going to watch 2 shows that I have been putting off for ages, Firefly and The Wire. I should have plenty of time to devote to these now.

I'm also nearly finished watching every episode of seinfeld which has been on my to do list for a while.

Future shows im looking forward to are the new seasons of Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Peep Show (if what someone said earlier is correct) and i'd be willing to give Caprica a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

I've no idea what to watch now either. Just about all other current TV series (apart from maybe Lost) are complete drivel IMO. Im totally gutted BSG is over. I'm really glad they ended it properly, but to be honest I wish they left some glimmer of a chance of a spin-off.

Not really looking forward to Caprica. Descriptions such as "television's first science fiction family saga" don't fill me with much optimism.

"BSG: The Plan" should be good. But I know it will only drag back memories of what a real TV show should be. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

cian_r wrote: »

Not really looking forward to Caprica. Descriptions such as "television's first science fiction family saga" don't fill me with much optimism.

Just watched a trailer of this on scifi.com ... looks pure muck tbh

http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=1068030

They could make a spin-off following the adventures of the red centurions in the rebel baseship.

It would just be mostly cgi and no dialogue but i'm sure RDM could make something out of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Breaking bad is the best thing on TV by a country mile atm.

30 rock is very funny too. Light hearted lols ftw!

edit: breaking bad is not light hearted lols, but it is lol in parts. I just don't want people getting upset with me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Current sci-fi: Terminator. Pity it's headed for the cancellation route most likely.
    Back catalogue: Farscape without a doubt. Then Firefly, Babylon 5 etc.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Dollhouse.

It was slow to start but it finally paid off with the latest episode which was brilliant, also it has Mr Karl "Helo" Agathon as an incentive for bsg fans to watch :)

Other than that I'm watching Lost, which is a brilliant show if only for the characters and it's ability to come up with a new plot twist or cliffhanger week after week. Regardless of how ridiculous the show is getting as it advances the story, it's still keeping me coming back for more.

I do plan on watching Caprica, but I dunno about this family saga premise they're selling us. I also don't like the idea of Battlestar becoming a franchise in the same fashion as Star Trek, imo the show has ended on a high note so lets leave it at that... but my longing for more of the same puts Caprica on my to-watch list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Dollhouse (and after episode 5 it get's good)

But there have only been 6 episodes aired so far ,bit early to judge .

I see alot of people recommending shows to watch but very few of them are in the same genre as BSG.
    I'm going to watch some of them,The Wire,Arrested Development,Studio 60,Underbelly and see how they go.
    Its very hard to get good hard hitting drama nowadays.
    Most shows are dumbed down ,cheesy and full of tacky dialogue.
    I like dark edgy and gritty shows preferably with a bit of scifi and depth.
    Btw I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Fair City as a replacement.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

House MD
    The Unit anyone?
    +1 for Rescue Me

I missed the whole Wire thing, but picked it all up on DVD so i guess I've that to get through

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Waiting for "The Plan" to hit DVD then rerun of BSG from start to finish. There is no substitute.

Don't hold much hope for Caprica, looks very like its going to be a Beverly Hills 90210 type thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Just in case there are a few unconverted lurking on the BSG forum, do yourselves a favour and watch "Arrested Development", one of the greatest comedies of all time, the performances of David Cross and Jeffrey Tambor are worth the price of admission alone.

a big + 1 for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Battlestar is without a doubt the best TV show I've ever seen. It's not the only TV show I watch, and not the only one I enjoy, but in a side by side comparison even the 2nd best lags far behind. Special effects, models, design, characters, action...it really can't be bettered. For me it's really the definitive Sci-Fi...even Star Wars pales in comparison and that would have been my previous gospel for all things sci-fi. I'll never forgot watching Season 2, watched it all in one sitting and went through a tin of roses at Christmas time. :D

Worthy follow ups though in the same vein, I would recommend Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles or Firefly. The latter in particular, even if its run is short. It has the characters pegged down extremely well. Personally I've always disliked Stargate and Star Trek immensely though....

In other genres Arrested Development or Curb your Enthusiasm are the top dogs. :p

What am I going to watch now? Battlestar 1978...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I think Kings is worth checking out. I saw the first 2 episodes last week. Its got Ian McShane and if that isnt incentive enough I dont know what is. IGN reviewed the first 2 episodes here: http://tv.ign.com/articles/961/961665p1.html

Should suit BSG fans as it's about War and Death in an alternate reality with an alternate Human Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    I think Kings is worth checking out. I saw the first 2 episodes last week. Its got Ian McShane and if that isnt incentive enough I dont know what is. IGN reviewed the first 2 episodes here: http://tv.ign.com/articles/961/961665p1.html

Should suit BSG fans as it's about War and Death in an alternate reality with an alternate Human Race.

And it's also slated to be cancelled after its 14 episode run, so you get to exprience a double sense of loss in a single year if you do like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The Wire
    The Wire
    The Wire
    The Wire

Did I mention The Wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Dollhouse looks promising.
    Only watched the first epside but so far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

The Unit :D

Well since BSG, I watched Firefly and Serenity, and started the Wire.

Firefly and Serenity were fantastic and i can't get enough of the wire, flying through season 2 at the moment.

After that I don't know where i'll go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

silvine wrote: »
    The Wire
    The Wire
    The Wire
    The Wire

Did I mention The Wire?

Yeah,if you havent watched the wire yet,then do so immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Stargate is a family show. ;)

You can always tell a family show from an adult show. They both have people getting killed by guns but in the family show they never shoot people in the head!

that is the stupidest thing i've heard in a while:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

MikeHoncho wrote: »

Beat me to it. Really enjoyed Kings. Such a unbelievable shame its getting canceled. Ian McShane is eleven different kinds of awesome. Whats the incentive for clever and different shows if they just cant get the viewers? Still pick it up on DvD or some other source of known and <ahem> reputable origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'd say either "Andromeda", "Babylon 5" or "Deep Space 9" would be you next best thing for good, adult orintated sci-fi. (still not as good as BSG, though:D)

If you can, try to get your hands on a dvd of "Space: Above and Beyond" it's old, (1995) but the closest thing to resembling Battlestar around.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 GroundHog

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    The Wire.

/thread.

Yep. The Wire is outstanding.
    if you've never seen it West Wing is definitely worth it. Season 1&2 of Dexter and Damages is definitely worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

see ronald (blessed be his name) is writing a thing remake and i robot sequel

Advertisement