Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I watch now?

Options
  • 22-03-2009 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭

So now that the programme's over, what is there on TV that's actually any good? Lost is pure cack, Stargate is a childrens programme and Dexter went downhill last season, so the fourth season will probably be rubbish. Even the news is no good these days.

I need escapism. Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

back to southpark for me, 24 is worthless drivvel as is lost since season 1, tv just got a lot more boring all of a sudden, maybe i'll take a course in advanced robotics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Lost is my other show now that makes me look forward to the day of viewing. Sarah Connor Chronicles does it for me but mainly because I'm a Terminator fanatic.

I think tv shows are pretty dull in comparison to BSG. I think BSG is as close to perfect a tv show as I would want.

Try watching Nip/Tuck. I love that show. Its brilliantly different and just pure outrageous fun for men to watch. And some women.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Nip/Tuck is my holy grail, I adore that show :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Forgot about 24 and Prison Break, terrible, terrible TV.

Southpark is always good for a laugh, but it's not the same.

Will the BSG slot be filled by trek/SG-1 re-runs or reality tv? I wonder.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Stargate ain't a children's program - approaching things in a light-hearted manner isn't childish any more than using moody lighting and having characters growl is adult...

There's a lot of great shows out there still - True Blood, Damages, Breaking Bad, Terminator: TSCC - are all worth watching and that's before you delve into the back library of shows that have gone off the air waves.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Stargate ain't a children's program - approaching things in a light-hearted manner isn't childish any more than using moody lighting and having characters growl is adult...

There's a lot of great shows out there still - True Blood, Damages, Breaking Bad, Terminator: TSCC - are all worth watching and that's before you delve into the back library of shows that have gone off the air waves.

I put that in to make the blood boil :D. When they start airing the re-runs of BSG at lunchtime on sky I'll conceed that one.
    Going to look up Breaking Bad, never heard of it. Cheers.

Stargate is a family show. ;)

You can always tell a family show from an adult show. They both have people getting killed by guns but in the family show they never shoot people in the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

ixoy wrote: »
    and that's before you delve into the back library of shows that have gone off the air waves.

The West Wing, best show ever made (first 4 seasons of it anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

The Wire.

/thread.

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    The Wire.

/thread.

Most definitely not escapism though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I had the same empty feeling when The Wire finished. BSG is going to be a hard act to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

qz wrote: »
    Nip/Tuck is my holy grail, I adore that show :o

I love Nip/Tuck also but that has now finished till 2010. However, for all you BSG fans, you'll be happy to know that Katee Sackhoff aka: Starbuck appears in the last few episodes of season 5 and she looks HOTT!

Dexter is a great show and the 3rd season is just finished (4th starting soon). Worth the watch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you could re watch babylon 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Chuck and How I Met Your Mother for light hearted comedy.

Friday Night Lights for drama.

Season 2 of Breaking Bad is back on as well and Season 5 of Rescue Me is starting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Supernatural
    Sanctuary (which is so naff it's good)
    Burn Notice (not sci-fi but fun to watch)
    The Listener
    Life (again not sci-fi)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

Firefly probably the most similar thing you will find to BSG out there although completely different at the same time.

Besides that I watch stuff like criminal minds and CSI.

But yeah, television is a load of ****e right now.

Just watch your DVD's of Galactica for another year and then see if Caprica is any use. Or else just get rid of your tv cause there aint much in comparison.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just watch your DVD's of Galactica for another year and then see if Caprica is any use.
    Be sure to skip over the half of the show's episodes of the show that aren't all that good :)

I disagree there's nothing else good, once you're willing to look into old shows. I'd also recommend "Chuck" for a bit of escapism (although BSG is hardly easy escapism is it?).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Sadly the standard of tv shows these days is diabolical.
    Its too dumbed down and predictable.
    I find myself watching less and less tv.
    Caprica could be worth a look and Virtuality could be decent too.
    Lost is quite good and the end of Prison Break could surprise us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Dexter is a great show. Well series 1 and 2 are anyway, i havent seen the 3rd yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

The Wire, Damages, Dexter, Dollhouse, Chuck, Burn Notice, Supernatural, Terminator, House, Medium, Oz, Mad Men, Underbelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Oz used to be good until they got really graphic with the gay and rape stuff, the rest i've tried and couldnt find anything to keep me watching :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Shows that are still running that I'd reccomend are:Lost,24 and Fringe. For some non-arched/light entertainment shows I'd go with South Park,Bones and Cold Case. There's a few shows that have been cancelled that are worth a watch anyway like Journeyman,the first 2 seasons of Prison Break and Jericho.

Two shows I'm looking forward to that will replace BSG perfectally are Caprica and Stargate:Universe. I know you said you didn't like SG but Universe seems to be closer to BSG than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

star gate is absolute drivel - sorry!

On the other hand I doubt Ron Moore will be able to leave BSG alone even though it ended so well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

One and a half seasons of the Wire left, still got South Park, the new series of Monk (yes its a bit formulaic, but I like Tony Shaloub, very funny), new series of Peep Show soon (floss is boss!) and I only waste my time on Terminator when the svelt form of Summer Glau is caught by the camera.

Other than that...

plenty of BSG reruns!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You could rewatch BSG from the beginning from your dvd/dvr/computer storage.

Or you could check out

The Listener (FX and FX HD) which is a great show
    Dollhouse (and after episode 5 it get's good)
    Fringe (back soon)
    Rescue Me (back 07 April in USA)
    Life (brilliant acting in there)

Or if you just want to laugh a lot try The Big Bang Theory, I find it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

Thumbs up for fringe well worth the watch

Farscape DVD's for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

House or the big bang theory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

you could re watch babylon 5

I used to love B5 - but sadly I think it may have gone past it's sell by date in terms of SFX - and the acting wasn't great - not that SFX is the be all and end all of a good show - Strazinsky did an impossible job of keeping that show going for 5 years (not including recent DVD releases) and the story line was fantastic , that man can really spin a yarn, check out his Spiderman stories for more great work - but you can pretty much drop off at "Brand New Day".

I'd recommend B5 but would also warn people that it's not BSG in terms of acting or SFX, but I think it's equal in terms of over-all story.

I think Stargate:Atlantis is well worth a watch, David Hewlett is great in it.

I think it's time I dipped into "The Wire", people have been recommending it to me for a while now.

I saw the West Wing recommended above, I'd also recommend Studio 60 which is currently going for a song here

House is pretty good, I mean the show has the exact same structure every week but Hugh Laurie is great in it.

Life is a good show - is the second season out on DVD yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just in case there are a few unconverted lurking on the BSG forum, do yourselves a favour and watch "Arrested Development", one of the greatest comedies of all time, the performances of David Cross and Jeffrey Tambor are worth the price of admission alone.

Advertisement