Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think the 3 hour TV film with Patrick Bergin is pretty faithful but it was cut to 90 minutes for DVD release over here and as such lost a lot. I've had it in a Box of Blood box set for years now and never watched it, perhaps it's time to do so.

Have that DVD. Alwas thought it was very disjointed, now I know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Anyone else here seen Dumplings?

Has anyone posted the trailer for Daybreakers yet? Definately one for the Nocs:

Keeping with the post-apocalyptic theme, The Road

and Zombieland (which has a very misleading title. Everyone knows real zombies can't run):

and re: Dumplings, blergh...

More post-apocalyptc stuff heading our way with 9:

and the Book of Eli:

Think we might be getting oversaturated with post-apocalyptic films soon..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Willem Dafoe sure does like his Vampire films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 spencerzc

cant get enough of sergio leone's work.........and a western is good for what ails you on a sunday........(monday morning)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

It was supposed to get a cinema release, but is only being released DVD, but should of been out a while ago, but that never happened and confusion onsetted :confused::confused:

Either way:

Some pretty cool stills from the Irish made zombie film Portrait of a Zombie have been released. The film is due for release next year. The teaser trailer goes live in 5 days time at portraitofazombie.com
    The makeup effects look pretty slick.

14332_104624796221056_100000206084362_120740_4512327_n.jpg
    14332_104624829554386_100000206084362_120744_6914562_n.jpg
    14332_104627746220761_100000206084362_120804_3959923_n.jpg
    14332_104627786220757_100000206084362_120809_4233991_n.jpg
    14332_104631069553762_100000206084362_120885_5141578_n.jpg

Sure would be nice to get a really decent horror film come out of Ireland for a change.. Here's hoping this is it.

• Advertisement

More stills; Guns n' gore, horay!

14332_104631046220431_100000206084362_120882_8128129_n.jpg
    14332_104627762887426_100000206084362_120806_3606239_n.jpg
    14332_104624896221046_100000206084362_120752_2707510_n.jpg
    14332_104624812887721_100000206084362_120742_6244566_n.jpg

Forgot to mention there is a Facebook page where you can get updates etc. (act fast though, as friend space is limited!):
    http://www.facebook.com/#/PortraitOfAZombie?ref=ts

And a more general fan page (doesn't have as much content yet, but will soon):
    http://www.facebook.com/#/pages/Portrait-Of-A-Zombie/133574205681?ref=ts

Mainstream media coverage woo!!!!

http://www.iftn.ie/?act1=record&aid=73&rid=4282740&tpl=archnewshome&only=1&force=1
    IFTN wrote:
    Production has recently wrapped on the set of feature film ‘Portrait of a Zombie’ from Irish born director, Bing Bailey. The low budget black comedy/horror film explores the story of a working class Irish family who become caught up in a zombie invasion of Dublin.

When son, Billy, becomes a zombie the family chooses to take care of him in the home much to the chagrin of the neighbors and the local crime boss. Meanwhile, they invite an American documentarian to film their situation and the film crew become involved in the mayhem.

’Portrait of a Zombie’ is produced by Laura Morand Bailey and Bing Bailey for Organ Hill Films. The film was shot on Red Digital 4K by Clayton Haskell (executive producer, Chinatown) and will now be edited in the U.S. The film’s cast includes Patrick Murphy, Todd Fletcher (Yard of Blondes), Diane Jennings (Dublin: A Movie in Four Days), Geraldine McAlinden (The Guards), Rory Mullen (Hunger), Gerry Shanahan (Omagh), Paul O'Bryan, Sonya O'Donoghue, Sara White, Ciaran Davies (The Haunting of Hell House) and Stephen Neeson.

Cast and crew involved in the project filmed mainly on Mellowes Avenue in Finlgas but used other various Dublin locations such as Smithfiled, College Green and the Glasnevin Cemetery.

Producer Laura Mornad Bailey tells IFTN: “The goal of the film is to reflect modern Ireland in the horror genre and to celebrate the strength and humor of the Irish in the face of adversity.”

It is expected that ‘Portrait of a Zombie’ will be released next year. A teaser trailer will be released on December 1st at www.portraitofazombie.com.

(Sorry for spamming the forum, could a mod maybe merge my posts?)

Galvasean's zombie movie update

Good news everyone. The teaser trailer will be playing before the main feature at the underground cinema Dec 17th in Dun Laoghaire. So if anybody wants to pop along and see it on a big screen (not to mention the actual films) now's your chance.

More info @ http://www.underground-cinema.com

I'll be heading on in (pending work times of course).

Very nice write up about the trailer on Slash Film:
    Not since Once have I been so interested in the filmic output of a land that spawned my ancestors and I have to say, without question, the premise is fascinating: a kid (Billy) becomes a zombie, his parents elect to take care of the kid at home, a documentary film crew (of course) wants to tape the family, and then we watch the havoc unfold.

The trailer opens very strangely: a group of people take to the streets to protest something. It’s in slow motion, there’s no voice over, and we’re left wondering what it is they’re protesting against. We have some person getting swarmed by a pack of zombies, a woman lets us know the whole country is “****e,” a guy gets his hand cut off with a meat cleaver, and then we meet Billy. Treated more like a rabid dog than human I am impressed with the idea of where this is going.

Slow-mo shots of zombies running around, of people evading certain death, and then a mom trying to console a thrashing Billy who is bound up in a straight jacket and muzzle all the while with a minimalist touch. This feels intimate, claustrophobic.

The final seconds of this trailer are an especially nice touch considering what we’re dealing with: a first time director/writer, Bing Bailey, who obviously doesn’t have Hollywood funds but is trying to make it look like it. The execution is grand and really taps into that sense of terror that so many other, highly polished zombie films can’t match.

More here.

I saw Daybreakers today. It sucked was crap. :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Galvasean wrote: »

Guessed it was generic vamp schtik from the trailers tbh.

It had a good opening third and an interesting idea (ie: when vampires take over the world and the blood starts running out, what happens?), but then starts getting really lame with cliché after cliché and ridiculously random 'jumpoutatyouoohyourescared!' moments from the VERY start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

/0\

I was hoping that was going to be good....
    The first ad looked crap but the newest one looked great......
    Guessed it was generic vamp schtik from the trailers tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

saw this ad and will probably check it out once it's released.

really looking forward to this, as I've never managed to see a Ghibli movie on the big screen.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Solomon Kane looks a bit too Lord of ther Rings 'inspired' if you know what I mean..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Techincally a mini series not a film but just saw Torchwood: Children of earth.

Talk about dark, mature, television. the last episode... jesus, the last episode.

Even the obligatory Doctor Who reference was ultra dark.

This is an EXTREME spoiler if you're going to read...
    I couldn't believe they actually showed Jack killing his own grandson... just stood there as he started bleeding...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Solomon Kane looks a bit too Lord of ther Rings 'inspired' if you know what I mean..
    You comparing REH's Puritanical adventurer to a bunch of hairy-footed midgets?

One thing I never got about Aliens (the ones that get their ass kicked by Ripley) is what is the reason behind their killing? I mean is it a simple case of mindless kills or do they actually eat their victims as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Dark City!! A city in which its always night, very apt for here me thinks :D

Oh and Karl I wanna know what that film was that you referred to as a film and a half early in the thread, as its since been removed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

--LOS-- wrote: »

Oh and Karl I wanna know what that film was that you referred to as a film and a half early in the thread, as its since been removed.
    Ichi The Killer was what he was speaking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Another one fitting the mood here....."Kontroll"......dark and funny, set entirely on the Budapest metro.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373981/

Shamless plug*

Whatever It Takes

A comedy short I worked on (did the sound recording) can be viewed in full here:
    http://www.babelgum.com/4026653/whatever-takes.html
    Its in a competition so if you like it click the thumbs up icon underneath the film details (over on the left) to vote for it.

And yes it is nocturnal as most of the film takes place at night, in a night club. Plus I'm a Noc and helped make it. :D

Lemme know what ya'all think!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I fully endorse this product and/or service:)

T'is a good little flick!

Advertisement