Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope rejects condom use in Africa

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lettydon

Hi,

I would like to apologise for the "tone" of my post.... :o

I guess I just happened apon the thread and read through and tarred ye all with the same brush! I've since looked through some of the other threads on your board and realise that perhaps I was a little on the rash side! My apologies if my rant came across a little on the harsh side!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

lettydon wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to apologise for the "tone" of my post.... :o

... In response to your first post I'd just like to say one thing... Your right the pope is of course entitled to push for abstinence, and if all the people with aids listened to him it would certainly help the situation ...

However clearly people aren't listening to him... And if those people would ware condoms it woul also help the situation...

Frankly I think the pope should say something like "abstain from sex and fornication as it is sinful and risky... However if you choose to sin, thus tarnishing your soul, at least try to reduce the temporal danger to yourself and others ..."

He could make it clear that the church utterly condems fornication without under mining other health inititives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

kiffer wrote: »
    ... In response to your first post I'd just like to say one thing... Your right the pope is of course entitled to push for abstinence, and if all the people with aids listened to him it would certainly help the situation ...

However clearly people aren't listening to him... And if those people would ware condoms it woul also help the situation...

Frankly I think the pope should say something like "abstain from sex and fornication as it is sinful and risky... However if you choose to sin, thus tarnishing your soul, at least try to reduce the temporal danger to yourself and others ..."

He could make it clear that the church utterly condems fornication without under mining other health inititives.

My understanding of catholic dogma is that it's not the fornication that is at question (although outside of marriage that is also a sin) but all forms of contraception besides abstinence are inherently sinful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

sink wrote: »
    My understanding of catholic dogma is that it's not the fornication that is at question (although outside of marriage that is also a sin) but all forms of contraception besides abstinence are inherently sinful.

Oh that people would start to think for themselves and see the pope as the completely-out-of-touch idiot that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

This is not a case of atheism, agnosticism, or any other religious stance.
    It is a case of life and (a slow, horrible) death for millions in Africa.
    Those people need condoms.
    I think a specialized charity should be started with all profits going to the distribution of condoms in Africa.
    If we can have them in developed nations, why can't they have them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

He obviously believes africans deserve aids, crazy catholics

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

But all catholics over here use them and the pope rarely tries to take them off us!
    And we're confirmed catholics.
    Most of those poor people in Africa don't have time to study a religion they are too busy looking for food!
    It seems like they're dieing for the beliefs of our religion, which most of them don't even follow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lettydon

Guys I'm not here to proslytize, I believe in "Free Will" The quote above ( if it works out right cause I'm new to boards.ie) is misguided... There is nothing in Catholicism that denies the natural method as inherently sinful. Actually, there is nothing in the teachings of the church that undermines your thinking! Only "validates" your choice to do so..!

People are learning same way as everybody else is...

Only difference is..."Faith"..you either explore that or you don't! It's up to each individual..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Yes... but that's part of the problem... you can condemn the sin of Fornication, and condemn the sin of not going forth and multiplying at an exponential rate... but also say if you do sin, thus damning yourself to eternal torture at the hands of Beelzebub, at least take steps to avoid spreading diseases here on Earth...

Or at the very least you could avoid lies like "Condoms don't reduce your chances of getting aids."

Advertisement