Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope rejects condom use in Africa

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I see his point.

Condoms will not stop the spread of aids in africa, as how exactly are you going to get men to WEAR a condom in a culture where they believe sex is their right, and they believe sleeping with a virgin is the cure for aids?

Education is the only way

Sane people call for education, abstinence, condoms, etc. You know, those who don't view the world in black & white and realise that taking a multi-faceted approach is the best.

No, wait. Having everything in neat and tidy bundles makes it easier to fathom.

NO TO CONDOMS!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 498 ✭✭Splainc

Phototoxin wrote: »
    Well studies in South Asia have shown that total abstinence works. Its sensible really no sex = little chance of STIs. Condoms have only about an 85% efficiency in practice and don't protect against all STI's anyway. So it makes sense although the hole 'condoms iz eevil' thing is a bit mental.
    I'm all for having tonnes of kids but I'm also for spacing them out as wimmenz are not baby ovens.

that is scary isnt it??? do not have sex at all and still there is a slight chance that you might catch a sexually transmitted disease!!!!

that stat is ridiculous though in my opinion. sure its the same as : do not fly on planes = little chance of dying in a plane crash

resolves nothing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Splainc wrote: »
    that is scary isnt it??? do not have sex at all and still there is a slight chance that you might catch a sexually transmitted disease!!!!

that stat is ridiculous though in my opinion. sure its the same as : do not fly on planes = little chance of dying in a plane crash

resolves nothing

ER solves alot of things. I know a guy who just came back form thailand, sleeping his way round every city, gave me frightful details of his s.t.i's. Whereas I, who have never have unprotected sex and have slept with one person has never had an STI.

I get really angry with people who have unprotected sex and know better. It is the stupidest, stupidest thing you could do. And if you're in a relationship and having it, then get checked all the time, it's a no brainer, some people are unbeleivably stupid about their health.

ER solves alot of things. I know a guy who just came back form thailand, sleeping his way round every city, gave me frightful details of his s.t.i's. Whereas I, who have never have unprotected sex and have slept with one person has never had an STI.

I get really angry with people who have unprotected sex and know better. It is the stupidest, stupidest thing you could do. And if you're in a relationship and having it, then get checked all the time, it's a no brainer, some people are unbeleivably stupid about their health.

i agree with you but i think you are missing my point. if you abstain from sex i.e. have no sex then you have no chance of getting an STI as in order to get a Sexually Transmitted Infection you would need to first have sex.....

Better to not have sex then.

That'll show that AIDS virus...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I see his point.

Condoms will not stop the spread of aids in africa, as how exactly are you going to get men to WEAR a condom in a culture where they believe sex is their right, and they believe sleeping with a virgin is the cure for aids?

Education is the only way
    Of course condoms will not stop the spread of AIDs.

But they sure as hell will slow the increase more than just telling people not to have sex with anyone other than your wife.

Dades wrote: »
    Of course condoms will not stop the spread of AIDs.

But they sure as hell will slow the increase more than just telling people not to have sex with anyone other than your wife.

telling humans not to do anything has never really worked has it??!!!

dont press that button!
    dont stick that up there!
    dont do that!!
    dont! dont! dont!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

I think some people are forgetting that there are a lot of young people in africa with HIV/AIDS who got it from their parents. Its entirely possible that these people, when they grow up, will want to get married and have sexual relations exclusively with their spouse (just like any christian is supposed to do). Are these people supposed to have unprotected marital sex and possibly give their spouse the disease because they're not supposed to use condoms? Or, in the eyes of the pope, are these people unclean and not supposed to procreate at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Are these people supposed to have unprotected marital sex and possibly give their spouse the disease because they're not supposed to use condoms? Or, in the eyes of the pope, are these people unclean and not supposed to procreate at all? __________________

No you're not supposed to have sex as that would be murdering your spouse essentially. Also as children are one of the main reasons to have kids the cold nazi lawyer personality in me (often akin to the RCC I find :pac: ) tells me to say no to them getting married

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Have you noticed though that the rampant spreading of Aids and premarital sex in Africa is nearly inversely proportional to the number of Bears in Africa. Coincidence?

Pfft, bears are not native to Africa.

*searces fossil record*
    I think some people are forgetting that there are a lot of young people in africa with HIV/AIDS who got it from their parents. Its entirely possible that these people, when they grow up, will want to get married and have sexual relations exclusively with their spouse (just like any christian is supposed to do). Are these people supposed to have unprotected marital sex and possibly give their spouse the disease because they're not supposed to use condoms? Or, in the eyes of the pope, are these people unclean and not supposed to procreate at all?

That is an interesting can of worms; which is more important, the right of these (blameless) people to have children or their responsibility not to create new sick people?

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Pfft, bears are not native to Africa.

*searces fossil record*

Inversely related

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Splainc wrote: »
    telling humans not to do anything has never really worked has it??!!!

dont press that button!
    dont stick that up there!
    dont do that!!
    dont! dont! dont!!!!!
    And let's not forget the one that is responsible for HIV/AIDS and growing old etc... Don't eat from that tree.

MrP

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Just to drag up an old thread with a related story.

Ben Goldacre's lost Bad Science chapter:
    http://www.badscience.net/2009/04/matthias-rath-steal-this-chapter/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Please someone reassure me it's satire.

Someone should tell him that isn't not a condom...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

pH wrote: »

I lost interest at "all you sceptics". He isn't funny enough to be satire, he's just a retard. Also, I stopped because I fear his experiment is gonna be a posh ****.

He has another video "Why it is okay for sex to hurt the vagina".
    I'm not going to sign up to youtube to watch it.

Tard ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joe freethinker

the pope in theory is right, absanance is 100% reliable while a comdom isn't. but the reason aids is spreading is because people are not committing to one sexual partner for life, if they did aids wouldn't spread.
    So when people are not listening to the church when it says "No sex before marrage" and "Thou shallt not commit aduldery" Why are they listening when it says "Don't wear a comdom":confused::confused:

'do you want a vagina full of aids?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

the pope in theory is right, absanance is 100% reliable while a comdom isn't. but the reason aids is spreading is because people are not committing to one sexual partner for life, if they did aids wouldn't spread.

Did they ever? Certainly not in Africa. The Pope is either evil or retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

"Here comes the ejaculation!"

It's got to be satire. It just has to be.

EDIT: Ok, he has a whole series of satirical videos. First of all, his username is "jesusophile"...which seems a little too flippant for a believer. His anti-gay video uses a demonstration of a banana and a toilet roll showing how straight sex is ok, he then mangles a banana trying to force it into a drinks can showing showing that anal sex is wrong ("it hurts!").

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    The Pope is either evil or retarded.

Either or?? I'd say he's well and truly both. When he dies they'll just replace him with another fcukwit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Zillah wrote: »

EDIT: Ok, he has a whole series of satirical videos. First of all, his username is "jesusophile"...which seems a little too flippant for a believer. His anti-gay video uses a demonstration of a banana and a toilet roll showing how straight sex is ok, he then mangles a banana trying to force it into a drinks can showing showing that anal sex is wrong ("it hurts!").

I... I can't tell anymore... I really can't.

Zillah wrote: »

And yet he has a video explaining why vaginal sex hurts (I havent listened to that one since I fear it).

O'Coonassa wrote: »
    The Pope is either evil or retarded.
    I'm sure he values your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Pope rejects condom use in Africa???

Maybe he was only talking about priests? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lettydon

My goodness, I thought this was a rational debate. Are atheists capable of such a thing? or is the "intellect" and the "I like.." the most important thing in your mediocre lives?

Guys, we have one life and one chance at getting it right! This we have in common...

As far as the Pope is concerned he is perfectly within his right as the leader of the Catholic faith to speak to the Catholic faithful. He is perfectly inline with Catholic doctrine....

So what's your problem? Is what he is teaching immoral to you?

What's your solution then?

Please remember the African situation is NOT the western world. "Yeah, hey lets head on down to boots and get some strawberry flavoured condoms for tonight baby..."

Ehh...NO! 40 MILLION condoms had to be withdrawn recently from the market in Africa due to public outrage that they were about as useful as no condom! 40 MILLION Condoms faulty!!!! Don't the Pharma just love making money...it doesn't really matter what they give the people, so long as they make the few quid, who really cares about Africa???

Please try to fathom 40 MILLION condoms....! and then think again about sending Africans out and telling them they will be ok so long as they get their condom...

Also remember the culture over there is so completely different to ours..superstitions about having sex with virgins is a cure for AIDS..etc. etc.

Please! There is more going on then your "O here he is at it again...silly Pope...telling us what to do with our lives.." then what you realise!

There's your "intellect" that you prize so highly with your sarcasm and spite! and then there are the "real" people dealing with real life situations...the one's putting their lives on the line for the greater good of humanity!

Get real! Get a life! Find your purpose! Or don't comment and show just how ignorant you are...the rash of outrage every time the Pope opens his mouth is old..tired...and beyond transparant at this stage to the person with more dimensions than one soley to spit ridicule and spite!

Have fun with it, hope it's fullfilling for you..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

We're mighty keyboard warriors for civic freedoms here.

Quick someone start an online petition to make the pope change his policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

that video is the best one I've ever seen...

• Advertisement

lettydon wrote: »
    My goodness, I thought this was a rational debate. Are atheists capable of such a thing? or is the "intellect" and the "I like.." the most important thing in your mediocre lives?
    Any chance of being taken seriously disappeared with your opening line.

Thanks for stopping by. :pac:

Advertisement