Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psych Ward

Options
  • 16-03-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.psychward.ie/

I think this is fairly excellent and is part of RTÉ's storyland experiment.

Pretty slick looking it is only 7 mins long.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Wasting your time, Hardybucks have it in the bag.

mikom wrote: »

Well the whole idea of it is to spread the word. I happen to like this one. Also voting continues for the next 2 weeks and Only 2 will be eliminated.

Something funny going on with the Hardybucks vote IMO, Hardybucks isn't good IMO. At lease Chez Spuds is doing well, very odd but really good at the same time.

So over the next 2 weeks it's all to play for (Sorry for the cliche).

I call shenanigans Elmo.
    The hardy bucks vs Psych ward battle aside, Chez Spuds is a pile of ****e and has shot up the ranks.

My heart goes out to the "rental boys" video which has a copy of the hardy bucks clip pasted in instead of the correct one.
    Maybe everyvote for the "rental boys" removes one from the bucks. :D

Nothing would surprise me with RTE, storyland was three days late when finally uploaded now this.
    Knobs of the highest order.

Edit: just as I thought http://adventuresinfilm.blogspot.com/2009/03/stop-presses.html
    Good on ya RTE as usual.

• Advertisement

I call shenanigans Elmo.
    The hardy bucks vs Psych ward battle aside, Chez Spuds is a pile of ****e and has shot up the ranks.

I like Chez Spuds it is very different. I didn't expect it to be to everyones tasted but I see your point it just shot up the rankings.

Hardybucks is far worse then Chez Spuds.

Either RTE only uploaded Happy Slapper's promo video or Happy Slapper did well out of the competition :D

Pubworld is interesting but it is a stupid name and Running low is also good.

"This Is Not A Conspiracy Theory" is a bit on the long side for just the one person.

Personally if 2 are going this month it they should be "This Is Not A Conspiracy Theory" and "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine".

with Hardy Bucks just getting into the next month.

At the top would be Psych Ward and Chez Spuds (but since it is a little odd) perhaps Running Low.

Nice to see RTE read the television threads as the "rental boys" video is now fixed.
    Amateurs RTE.

Nice to see RTE read the television threads as the "rental boys" video is now fixed.
    Amateurs RTE.

I am sure the producers rang them :rolleyes:

Edited my post above to include conformation of my suspicions.

RTÉ seem to be members of polldaddy or at least featured clients. But then so are FOX.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Quite liked Running Low. Two leads (helps that they're pros) are good and I want to know what happens next.

Thought Rental Boys could have been a lot funnier and really felt like the opening 7 minutes or so to a half hour sit-com instead of the first episode of a web series.

Psych Ward - Looks great. Nicely acted. Found I wasn't too clear about what the focus was going to be though - this one particular case or just focus on the doctor and the stress of his job. Hopefully the second episode will make it clearer.

Pub World - Some nice effects. Should have been longer though. There wasn't enough in it to make me go 'show me more now!'.

Chez Spuds - Odd. Would like to see where it goes but perhaps a bit too 'weird for weird's sake'.

Hardy Bucks - I love the web episodes that were on YouTube but felt it was a bit rushed maybe. If you came with no prior knowledge of it I'm not sure if you'd enjoy it as much. The Viper should have had lines.

That's all I've watched so far. RTE site is a bit ropey. Some pages wouldn't open for me in Firefox. Although I see they've fixed some errors. Hope the voting nonsense gets sorted out.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's all I've watched so far. RTE site is a bit ropey. Some pages wouldn't open for me in Firefox. Although I see they've fixed some errors. Hope the voting nonsense gets sorted out.

**** Hardy Bucks is now at 45%. :eek: And chez spuds has dropped to 5% :eek:

Elmo wrote: »
    **** Hardy Bucks is now at 45%. :eek: And chez spuds has dropped to 5% :eek:

Although I'm all for Hardy bucks, there is some seriously dodgy poll dancing going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PopBeloved

Although I'm all for Hardy bucks, there is some seriously dodgy poll dancing going on.

I could be that. It could be that the voting system is currently on the fritz. Or it could be that the webmaster listened to the complaints about the dodgy voting system, was able to tell the individual votes from the votes cast repeatedly from one computer and discarded the latter. If it's the last of those, then there was some very sharp practice at work in the voting. If Hardy Bucks' 45% is the actual percentage of the vote it has
    (and it sounds believeable since it came into the competition with a lot of goodwill and support), some series were scoring 500% more than their real vote count and one was at what? 1700, 1800%?

Anyway, this is all specualtion. Who knows what's going on at this point?

Of course it could be that the Hardy Bucks got friends, family etc to vote on the first day of voting. I'm sure it'll even out a bit over the next two weeks.

I think that if Hardy Bucks win it will really annoy most of boards.ie it is typical YouTube **** that thinks it can work on Television with RTÉ thinking that what is need is a poilet run, they should really make sure they know the name of the Head of Entertainment he will definately give them a full series. Sorry lads but you lack any amount of development. I know that is harsh but it is the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

why would it annoy boards.ie its only a online comp????!!

also you make it sound like the lads are on here??

did you have anything to do with Psych Ward???? your pritty bias est...

I think that if Hardy Bucks win it will really annoy most of boards.ie it is typical YouTube **** that thinks it can work on Television with RTÉ thinking that what is need is a poilet run, they should really make sure they know the name of the Head of Entertainment he will definately give them a full series. Sorry lads but you lack any amount of development. I know that is harsh but it is the truth.

They've done 3 web episodes. Who's to say that with a bit of time and money they couldn't develop Hardy Bucks into an excellent comedy. As it stands it's already a cut above most Youtube 'comedies'.

Also - I know Storyland is a competition but I think you may well find that at the end RTE could be looking at a few of the entrants with an eye towards development.

afatbollix wrote: »
    why would it annoy boards.ie its only a online comp????!!

also you make it sound like the lads are on here??

did you have anything to do with Psych Ward???? your pritty bias est...

Licence fee wasters etc etc I gaurentee you that if Hardy Bucks becomes a comedy series for RTÉ for 2009/2010 season, we will have another set of threads that we have had for Katherine Lynch and Twenty Something and on both occassions people from each production posted to defend their show (which they are entitled to do).

If I had anything to do with Psych Ward I wouldn't have posted a really really bad review of any of the other contestants as that would look bad, and to be honest it still looks bad, so let me appoligies to anyone involve in Psych Ward for messing up any chances you have for getting through.

I honestly think Psych Ward is a very well written piece and unlike the others it gives you some idea of where the full story might lead.

I honestly think Psych Ward is a very well written piece and unlike the others it gives you some idea of where the full story might lead.

I thought Running Low and Hardy Bucks both gave an idea of where they were going too.

Elmo - you personally might hate Hardy Bucks but there's a charm and humour to it that people seem to like. Personally I thought their Youtube episodes were better than their Storyland one but we'll see how it progresses.

And before anyone starts accusing me of being involved - I had nothing to do with any of the Storyland pieces.

• Advertisement

I thought Running Low and Hardy Bucks both gave an idea of where they were going too.

Elmo - you personally might hate Hardy Bucks but there's a charm and humour to it that people seem to like. Personally I thought their Youtube episodes were better than their Storyland one but we'll see how it progresses.

And before anyone starts accusing me of being involved - I had nothing to do with any of the Storyland pieces.

True.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 PopBeloved

Personally I thought their Youtube episodes were better than their Storyland one but we'll see how it progresses.

I thought it was their funniest episode yet but as an introduction it was poorer than their Youtube pilot. With the latter, you knew who was what to whom. Here, you couldn't tell that, say, the blond lad was the joint lead.

I think that Psych Ward, Running Low, Hardy Bucks and Happyslapper (or what is/was on Youtube) are leading the pack and the last three of those are exactly the kind of thing (Post-apocalyptic comedy-drama? Teenage noir? Satire not from the '50s) that RTE would never commission straight for television.

Happy Slapper is also very good, it is a pity they got it up so late.

So far for me

Psych Ward
    Running Low
    Happy Slapper
    Chez Spud (I like its oddness)
    Pub World (Sci-fi I like it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bushalicious

Hardy Bucks is by far the best despite being the "Irish Trailer Park Boys". As someone else said it has a great charm that comes across and there is a big following for it online even before the Storyland project. It's young new talent that hasn't had a chance before this and it's great to see. Hope it goes well for them. I would be interested to see where the Pubworld video goes. I imagine it will turn into a comedy but i would like to see how they do with that.

Hardy Bucks is by far the best despite being the "Irish Trailer Park Boys". As someone else said it has a great charm that comes across and there is a big following for it online even before the Storyland project. It's young new talent that hasn't had a chance before this and it's great to see. Hope it goes well for them. I would be interested to see where the Pubworld video goes. I imagine it will turn into a comedy but i would like to see how they do with that.

Sure aren't they in the main new talent?

What I would say about the competition is that each of the shorts are in different genres which doesn't work out. Even though I amn't a Hardy Bucks fan (TBH not a Trailer Park Boys Fan either) it is complete different to Psych Ward. Both are equally good but in different genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Personally I thought their Youtube episodes were better than their Storyland one but we'll see how it progresses.

I would tend to agree. And the fact that they had a following previously means they stand a seriously good chance of winning (something like 6K followers on facebook).

It'll be interesting to see where each show goes... but I know one thing, rental boys should get your vote :p (I was involved with that one... :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Sure aren't they in the main new talent?
    do you mean they have other stuff?? any links? should be good by the looks of hardy hucks...

afatbollix wrote: »
    do you mean they have other stuff?? any links? should be good by the looks of hardy hucks...

No sorry I was talking about all of the works involved with Storyland. What I was trying to say was that most of the entries are coming from new talent not just Hard Bucks.

According to this and the Hardy Buck thread they have a following on YouTube I haven't seen any of their other stuff. IMO Hardy Bucks would still be quite new talent.

and then they go to the underground street rally, which is on paper a brilliant idea but in practice it turned out like a mix between the fun fair in Father Ted and a Traveler roadside boxing video…

It just descends into a mess of "comedy dancing" (the robot, for fcuk's sake) and random vox pops with their grassroots voting base.

Do you hear that whooshing sound?
    That was the point of the whole thing, and it just flew right over your head.
    What were you expecting? Paul walker and Vin diesel to show up in one of the cars from "Fast and the furious"
    But the worst thing is because everyone who liked the shorts over the past year, and moreover the friends and family of the dozens who appeared in the episode are voting for it regardless, encouraging the further episodes to be even lazier. The now guaranteed "episode six" (since the only people who know about Storyland are friends of those involved and this thread on Boards, it's not even on the RTE website) will probably just be a still image of the Viper pissing into a bucket of 8 grand.

Then come autumn we can look forward to the spiritual successor to Katherine Lynch, and another potential Irish comedy series will be met with revulsion. RTE really have to learn to train and question and develop new writing. Not just hand over the price of a pilot to eager amateurs and let them hang themselves on it.

(Just frustrated at seeing another potential shot at Irish comedy mishandled.)

Nice bit of black propaganda.
    In the words of the Hardy Bucks, " Your coddin' no one hi.

• Advertisement

Do you hear that whooshing sound?
    That was the point of the whole thing, and it just flew right over your head.
    What were you expecting? Paul walker and Vin diesel to show up in one of the cars from "Fast and the furious"

Nice bit of black propaganda.
    In the words of the Hardy Bucks, " Your coddin' no one hi.

I am sorry Mikom but Frank is right. We aren't suggesting that Hardy Bucks aren't good (often comedy is about your own personal taste and for me HB isn't great) but if they are good to others fair enough but they aren't going to be the next Paths to Freedom that RTE so despartely need and that is due to the lack of development of the show from Webisodes to Television. RTE need to say to the writters sit down develop your scirpts and we will pay for that as long as you come back to us with a well produced Television programme that will work. Don't just hand money out for production give it to development and to production.

We aren't giving out about the producers of Hardy Bucks but RTEs lack of skill a developing programmes that have potentential indeed I would worry about Psych Ward's development also.

I would have perfered if RTE had given out the budget for Storyland into developing scripts for Television.

Advertisement