Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No pain No Gain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

thanks guys
    ya normally have porridge for the brek but head was a bit mushy race morn , didnt know what i was about . however dont think it really made a difference to my preformance , could use it as an excuse for my bad swim leg but who would i be fooling !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Great result Seres! Sounds like a nice day.

Getting the kids ready is the missing fourth discipline I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

well done, seres
    you did really well!

hope to see for an OW swim in the next few weeks.

roll on Sep 6.............!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good work seres, well done. Did the kids get to cheer you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done Seres on a good result. Your mixing the races and family life well:)

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    Well done Seres on a good result. Your mixing the races and family life well:)
    us women are known for multitasking , although it was more luck than anything else that it went smoothly, these situations are very fragile !
    asimonov wrote: »
    Good work seres, well done. Did the kids get to cheer you on?
    i didnt see them at all during the race , i think whatever was done to please during my abscence was done , sometimes its better though if they dont see me cause they just start crying , i think they feel i am neglecting them if i run/cycle past without stopping !:(

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Bloody hell woman, thats an amazing result, your cycling has REALLY come on!
    And your runs are definitely not being neglected or dis-improving with the extra training in swim/cycle. You should try to come to the lake for your OW swims, at least you know the distances and can measure your progress.

Seres wrote: »

i didnt see them at all during the race , i think whatever was done to please during my abscence was done , sometimes its better though if they dont see me cause they just start crying , i think they feel i am neglecting them if i run/cycle past without stopping !:(

in that case...maybe its better that you don't see them :) My OH and kids came to a roadrace with me a few months ago, she was mortified when they started cheering "COME ON OLD MAN" at one of the more senior participants...and then they saw someone puke at the end...a great day was had by all.

Sunday-Tuesday : nothing done , let myself give in to laziness, 3 days off :eek: , no point on dwelling on it .

Wednesday 12th august 2009

25K Cycle with speed bursts
    15min warm up 6*4min with 1:30sec interval recovery , normally love this session , found it tough , legs felt tired , why, after 3 days rest i dont know , glad to get the ball rolling again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Seres,
    I spend a lot of time lurking on other peoples training logs as I'm too lazy to do my own. Well done on that fantastic placing and on balancing the family and competition obligations.
    found it tough , legs felt tired , why, after 3 days rest i dont know , glad to get the ball rolling again though.
    Many years ago in my competitive cycling days I discovered that having a very gentle recovery ride the day after a hard race was much more of a rest for the body than doing nothing at all. I used to take a max of one day off per week and I found that by having active recovery days after races or hard sessions I very rarely had tired or sore legs. It might be worth a try for you.

• Advertisement

thanks aerok , will take that on board , was actually surprised at how tired and stiff my legs felt after my long rest , especially since i didnt even notice the stiffness till i got on the bike !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭aero2k

Yeah, I know exactly the feeling you're describing.
    I think that's why the Tour de France guys go for a 2-3 hour spin on the 2 rest days, even though they've been doing 4-6 hours racing every other day.
    Anyway, off out for my recovery run now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just catching up on the logs, fantastic result in the tri! Great time in the run too, on the back of a swim and cycle. Well done..

Just catching up on the logs, fantastic result in the tri! Great time in the run too, on the back of a swim and cycle. Well done..
    thanks KC , i am wary of the distance , i would say its was about 400m short , triathlete dont seem to be as specfic bout distance as runner , have to say that bothers me a bit :o

Thursday 13 August 2009

Long Bike
    36k Cycle in 1hr22 , enjoyable morning ride, a few nice long drags , legs alot looser today , route took in alot of the lough key cycle so i imagine i will be doing it again before september 6th.
    Weeks' work going very bad a this stage , only two bike done , plan to finish off the week

Thurday PM : 5mile easy
    Friday AM : long run 9.5miles
    FRiday night : pool swim (iffy)
    Saturday : Bike session 25k ( maybe tempo)
    Sunday : tempo run

a little ambitious considering i normally have alot of my sessions over at this stage as usually weekend bad for training
    also need to sort out diet and sleep , bed at 1:30 last night , up at 6:30 , 5 hrs :eek: , eyes hangin out of the head alright.

change of plan for the finsh of the week , local 10k race on sunday so plan on doing that as part of weeks training , so left out long run this morning and replaced last nights easy 5 with a short tempo

Thursday 13th august 2009

PM : 5 mile with tempo
    did 15min warm up , 15min tempo (between 6:40-7 min/mile pace) , 15min warm down .Session done on threadmill , pace grand but the boredom of it , dont know what i am going to do for the winter months :( , legs felt tired at the start but had loosened up well by the end . Niggle in the knee that i will have to get checked out with my physio.

Am : 5 mile easy
    replaced long run cause i will do the 10k race sat , had also planned to do 20k cycle instead but thought it better to make sure legs got a recovery run after tempo yesterday

New plan

Friday Pm : swim ( might not get to this session)
    Saturday : Steady 20k bike ( hope friday night doesnt hamper this , havent been out in a while )
    Sunday : 10k road race ( will happen)

Anyone think 20k on sat is a bad idea ? just i feel i need to get another bike in this week and i dont like leaving it too long between sessions ( for each discipline )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Anyone think 20k on sat is a bad idea ? just i feel i need to get another bike in this week and i dont like leaving it too long between sessions ( for each discipline )

Nope, just don't press hard or go climbing up any major hill. Keep the gearing light and spin your legs. Should loosen your legs up nicely for Sunday IMO.

saturday 15th Aug 2009

20k Cycle
    Easy spin , no time, my watch , cant find it , hope i didnt lose it last night , head was a bit ropey today , glad to have done anything !

Sunday 16th August

10K Race Report
    In aid of cancer society , told by one of the organisers that the 10k fun run was 6miles and marked in miles , he didnt bother to equate the miles to kilometers exactly. the circuit was two loops of three miles , the turnout wasnt great , i think it wasnt very well advertised. i used to train weekly on this loop in my teens so am very familiar with the climb of about two k at the start. arrived at 10 with the kids to register , husband came at 10.55 , race was due to start at 11 , then there was an announcement that it would start in 15min (11:15), went out for jog , on the way back they had started so i just joined in near the back bout 100m metres from the start , caught up with everyone except the two front guys by 2k , caught second guy at around 4.5miles , first guy was out of sight , arrived in on my watch at 38min , cant really trust this as i didnt start at the start and im not sure of the distance, first guy came in at 36:30, forgot how tough 10k run can be ,legs fecked today , should of got up this morn for a recovery run but laziness prevailed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good running Seres and whether or not the turnout was significant beating all but one guy is superb in any race!

MCOS wrote: »
    Good running Seres and whether or not the turnout was significant beating all but one guy is superb in any race!
    thanks MCOS, there was maybe bout 30 in the race though , checked the distance on mapmyrun , well short of 3 miles , 2.85 , therefore 38min for 5.7miles , over 1/2mile short of 10k , grand though , meant i got a good tempo session in for the week and that i got my quota of runs in too .

• Advertisement

Sunday 16th August

10K Race Report
    In aid of cancer society , told by one of the organisers that the 10k fun run was 6miles and marked in miles , he didnt bother to equate the miles to kilometers exactly. the circuit was two loops of three miles , the turnout wasnt great , i think it wasnt very well advertised. i used to train weekly on this loop in my teens so am very familiar with the climb of about two k at the start. arrived at 10 with the kids to register , husband came at 10.55 , race was due to start at 11 , then there was an announcement that it would start in 15min (11:15), went out for jog , on the way back they had started so i just joined in near the back bout 100m metres from the start , caught up with everyone except the two front guys by 2k , caught second guy at around 4.5miles , first guy was out of sight , arrived in on my watch at 38min , cant really trust this as i didnt start at the start and im not sure of the distance, first guy came in at 36:30, forgot how tough 10k run can be ,legs fecked today , should of got up this morn for a recovery run but laziness prevailed :(

Good run Seres, its good to get up to race pace every now and again after so much training. You must have been fuming with the organisers.

asimonov wrote: »
    Good run Seres, its good to get up to race pace every now and again after so much training. You must have been fuming with the organisers.
    normally i would be fairly ticked off but it was only in the road , i hadnt decided till thursday to do it , and its didnt affect my training that week in any way , i was just treating it as training so it worked out ok . also when one of the organisers said that it was 6 miles i knew there was no point in been too particular bout the time . however i did enjoy it and it got me out for a good session on a sh*t day :)

Monday 17th Aug 2009

Recovery Run

4 miles in 35 mins , legs very stiff from sunday , the fact that i did no warm down after the race made the stiffness alot worse.

Tuesday 18th August 2009

AM : Long bike

40k in 1hr36min , really tough session , toughest on bike to date , first 15k fine , then i got on to the main rd , driving wind and rain , i only had tunnel vision , peripheral vision gone , , pace totally gone , not even on the down hills , just a case of survival , was really glad to finish , glad to have long bike finished for the week , can notice the morning really closing in now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Just read the race report. Excellent time!

thanks mr creosote but i measured the distance on mapmyrun and it was over .5mile short of 10km !

Wednesday 19th August 2009

Am : Pool Session

warm up : 250m
    Leg work : 100m
    FC : 25m
    Catch up
    both arms : 100m
    Catch up
    R/L :100m
    high elbow
    drill : 100m
    breathing
    drill :100m
    stretching
    out : 100
    overall
    stroke
    concentration:250
    warm down : 125
    Total : 1250m

was meant to do this session last night and bike session this morning but when i got to the pool last night realised i didnt have my togs :mad: but worked out ok cause this morning was so bad with torrental rain i dont think i would have been able to get out for a ride .
    not great session today but nice to switch things round and have a pool session in the morning :)

Wednesday 19th August 2009

PM : Run Interval Session
    10min warm up , 5*4mins @ 9.4miles/hr (on threadmill) , pace 6:23mile
    rest interval 1:30., 15min warm down
    Good session , listened to to radio on the mp3 which worked out as a very good distraction.

Thursday 20th August 2009

Am : Bike tempo Session

29/30k in 1hr 8mins with two tempos 1*15min , 1*20min .
    Got up , weather was gloomy , by the middle of the cycle the morning was beauiful , got in most of the lough key tri course , tough , enjoyable session.

Friday 21st August 2009

Bike Speed Session :
    20k Bike in 44min : 5min warm up , 4min*6 with 1:30 rest intervals , 6 min warm down
    tough session , really pushed it on the intervals and did one more than i planned to do :) , legs felt a bit tired , beautiful morning , fresher than normal , have been luck with the weather this week besides tuesdays session.
    Tried starting/finishing bike with shoes already on the bike , getting on is tricky , getting off ok ,any one any tips on how to speed this up , i think my pace was veeery slow while sorting the shoes out ?

Saturday 22 th August 2009

Long Run

10.3miles in 1hr20 min , av pace 7:46min/mile , felt very tired after it , couldnt eat properly , dont know how some of ye folk can run marathons !

Sunday 23th August 2009

Rest Day : had planned a swim but didnt happen

Week Summary

Bike : 40k/30ktempo/20kspeed session : 90k
    Run : 4mile easy/6mile intervals/10mil long : 20mile(32k)
    Swim : Drills :1.25k , missed session here :(

Monday 24th August 2009

Swim Speed AM

Warm up : 300m
    Fast Drills 10*50 (25fast/25slow):500
    Moderate Drills 100*3 : 300
    Warm Down : 400m
    Total : 1500m

Best swim session i have done in a long time , was out of my comfort zone for a change , will prioritise swim this week and maybe drop a bike for swim if i need too.

Tuesday 25th August 2009

Long Bike :40k in 1hr31min , usual 40k route that brings in alot of lough key bike route , really nice cycle that can be enjoyed on a nice morning :) , pushed a bit more on the second half of the route when i normally fade .

• Advertisement

Wednesday 26th July 2009

Nothing : laziness and disorganisation are the culprits . Thats my rest day pass for the week used up , training over the weekend :(

Thursday 27th July 2009

AM Bike with speed bursts :29k in 1hr 7mins with 6*5min intervals with 2min rest , , rest sessions were a bit long but i suppose i did 6 reps of 5mins , took in most of the lough key course , tough but beautiful course , absorbed some of the panoramic view of lough key this morning during my rest intervals , gorgeous morning , need to savour morning cycles cause they are coming to a close :(.

Advertisement