Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No pain No Gain

• 16-03-2009 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

here it goes ,i have finally decided to start a training log , not sure for what really , at the moment running , however this could change to triathlon.

Goals
    under 42 min Great Ireland Run ( original plan was 40min but due to lack of commitment since november will def not happen)
    under 40min womens mini marathon
    Ballina Triathlon ( have not assessed achieveable times yet)
    Mullaghmore Tri ( maybe , sea swim is a turnoff)
    Lough Key Triathlon

Expectation for this log :
    1. help me to be more consistent with training
    2. encourage me to have a training plan ( none yet )
    3. aid in achieving my ST and LT Goals
    4. to focus me
    5. Training assessment ( my me and other on the boards )
    So here it goes, starting today:
    up 7 am , run slow 40min

just a note : got one of those nike wrist bands to help me record pace , distance etc , however not working , disappointing
    has anyone used these and if so how are they( prob should post a thread on this )?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great to see you've started one of these and it will def help you in your quest. I find when motivation is waning all you need is a slight shove and you'll get that here, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good stuff. The women's mini marathon is v hard to run fast in (or simply run!) with the crowds (yes, I did it once dressed up - guilty!)

Best of luck with the log

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Best of Luck Seres in the Bupa run and good for you putting up a log.... 'tis busy around these parts... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

thanks for the support guys

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Seres, best of luck with the goals and the log.

On the Nike+, I had one for a while that I used with an iPod Nano. A friend had one too (with iPod Nano), and his footpod was a dead duck. Have you paired the footpod to the wristband? Can you borrow someone else's footpod and see if it works?

• Advertisement

i was told in the shop that i had just to pair the wrist band with the footpod , have tried that but its not working ,was told in the shop that i didnt need an ipod , think i might bring it back , hope that i dont look like and eejit if they get it working in the shop !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

No, he's right, you don't need an iPod (the wristband replaces the iPod piece). Are you sure you've 'woken' the footpod? You need to swing it briskly like a pendulum, or attach it to your show and walk for a bit to get it powered on.

will try your suggestion krusty , thanks

yesterday 17th : forgot to post
    long run , one hour twenty , glad to get back , knees are stiff and sore when running, worried about this , really need to get thing equipment to measure distance while i am running

Today 18th
    35 minute easily run , legs stiff

does anyone know when i should do speed session and long run( after day off , after easily day ???)

a little worried about knees , one in particular , might go to see physio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Seres wrote: »
    does anyone know when i should do speed session and long run( after day off , after easily day ???)

You will probably feel freshest after a day off. So that could be a good day to get the best out of your speed session. Post up the rest of your week and there might be an obvious way to schedule it.

thank cfitz

• Advertisement

anyone any good ideas for a speed session for morro morning , training for 10K ?

How about: 4-5 x 1600m at target 10k race pace with 2 min jog recovery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

cfitz wrote: »
    How about: 4-5 x 1600m at target 10k race pace with 2 min jog recovery?

Hard session to start with there, I know its 10k pace but I'd prob start with 3 reps depending on when the 10k race is.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Hard session to start with there, I know its 10k pace but I'd prob start with 3 reps depending on when the 10k race is.

Yeah if Seres hasn't been doing these kind of sessions up until now, that would be quite tough. It might be better to start with something like 2 x 2000m and build up from there. Possible increments might be:

2 x 2000m
    3 x 2000m
    4 x 1600m
    5 x 1600m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

You could check this site out http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/paces.php?metres=5000&hr=0&min=19&sec=25&age=29&gender=M&Submit=Calculate

Or I did this last night for the first time, it was tough but you knew you were going to get sth out of it

pyramid 1 min,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1
    the rest is half the time of your last repeat, so if you ran the 3 mins fast, well then its 1:30 rest
    I didn't know what pace I was to run them at, but when I finished I realised I ran it at roughly 5 mile race pace

thank woddle
    i shudder when i think of pyramids , bad childhood memories , tough stuff !

speed session today

did on threadmill to give the road a break

10min warm up

6*1k @ 7min/mile pace , 60 sec intervals

10mins warm down

disappointing performance for a no of reason:
    1. did not stick to correct interval times , went over 60sec to maybe 80sec on some
    2. did not feel as comfortable at that pace as i should have
    3. felt very heavy in the legs
    4. fitness has gone back alot !
    good reality check , think goal of 42min re bupa 10k is out the window
    dread going back swimming , expect big setbacks there

update : havent log on for a couple of days but have trained

Saturday 21st March
    nothing , not intentional rest day , day ran away on me , very dissappointed

Sunday 22th March
    8min warm up
    35min Fartleg , spurts of between 45 sec to 2min thirty
    10min warm down
    Session really wrecked me out , didnt pace myself , however a good kick in the ass session which is what i needed

did fartlek years ago , but somehow felt i wasnt doing it right !

Monday 23th March
    40min easy run

Tomorrow Tuesday 24th March
    60-70min long run

Fartlek Questions
    1. is there any point doing spurts of less than 2 mins if you are training for 10K ?
    2. what lenght of time jogging should you give between spurts ? do you leave it to your own discretion( this doesnt seem right )
    3. should jogging betwwen spurts be very slow ?
    4. how long should i do it for ?
    Long Run Question
    1. should this be done very slow ?
    2. is 60mins enough for long run ( training for 10K) ?

65mins easy run/jog

Fartlek Questions
    1. is there any point doing spurts of less than 2 mins if you are training for 10K ?
    2. what lenght of time jogging should you give between spurts ? do you leave it to your own discretion( this doesnt seem right )
    Long Run Question
    1. should this be done very slow ?
    2. is 60mins enough for long run ( training for 10K) ?

I didn't reply to this the other day coz I didn't think my answers were very good (I don't think I've done any fartlek in years). But seen as no-one else replied, here's my opinions:

When doing Fartlek, training for 10k, I think spurts of less than 2 minutes might be useful - also, it may be hard to keep your discipline for longer bursts in such an unstructured type of run.

As far as I know, both fast parts and the parts between are meant to be chosen at your discretion while you run. But it might be a good idea to have some maximum and minimum times in your head before you start.

In my mind, Fartlek means running with some short bursts, so the gaps between the bursts shouldn't be a very slow jog - they should be an easy running pace.

The length of a normal run is probably what you should do for your Fartlek (maybe 35-55 minutes), and possibly don't put any bursts in the first or last 5 minutes.

Regarding your long run, I think it should be very easy but not necessarily very slow. It should be done at a very comfortable pace, some days that might be slower than other days. It's hard to describe properly, but I think it should feel like a run rather than a jog even if it is at an easy pace.

Lastly, I reckon your long run should be about 60 minutes and upwards. But I wouldn't move up to a distance that I couldn't run easily. Doing it in weekly cycles like this might work - 60min, 65 min, 70 min, 55 min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

Fartlek Questions

You may get more answers to this by posting on the main forum - cfitz covers the long run very well. I'll just give my two cents on the fartlek as it's one of my main training sessions.

1. Definitely. I've two speed sessions a week and one of them usually ends up being 1 minute intervals. The other could be a tempo run, 800m, 2 or 3 minute intervals.
    2. Enough time until you're recovered to go again is a good way to start off. Don't worry too much about it. With 2 minute and 3 minute intervals I'd generally give a 2 minute jog in between. 1 minute interval would have a 90 second jog.
    3. As slow as you need to recover before the next one starts.
    4. You're looking at a 2 mile jog before starting and finishing. For one minute repeats you could do around 12, building up to 16 eventually (this should take a while and there's no need to rush into getting there too soon). Again for 2 minute intervals you could probably start with around 6 and try build up to 8.

They're a great training session if done right. Every now and again I tend to do them too fast and pay at the end.

thanks cfitz and stupid private
    i suppose i should have posted it on the main forum , it was a little bit presumptuous of me to think people would bother reading my logs

Yesterday 25th March
    planned Days rest

Today 26th March

10min warm up

6*1k @7min/mile pace , rest approx 1min 20sec

10min warm down

threadmill not in miles so 1k a bit short (.6miles ( 960m) , hard to get rest interval time correct cause have to start on .1mile exact , feel pace not as good as could be outdoors

Morrow 50min easy run

50minutes steady run

Morrow Saturday 27th
    30min easy run

Sunday
    35min Fartlek , 10min warmup&warmdown

will report on monday , prob wont be on internet over wkend

Disappointing weekend training wise

Saturday planned 30min run did not happen

Sunday
    planned fartlek session in the park did not happen , instead did 10*2mins with 1min in between @4.10min/km on threadmill

Monday
    Planned 30min run did not happen this morning , hopefully tonight.

10min warm up
    2*10mins @ 5k race pace( dont know speed) with full recovery between
    10min warm down

not at all sure what pace i should run 10k on sunday , think 42mins id out of my reach

havent posted in a while , due to circumstances beyond my control did not get the training in last week that i wanted and could not go to bupa 10k yesterday , very dissappointed.
    Wednesday
    35min easy run

Thursday&friday nothing

Saturday
    4.7mile nearly race pace @ 7.23mi/pace - pace has not improved much

sunday 5th April
    10min warm up
    6*4mins @ 6.4mile pace with minute rest between
    10min warm down

Tuesday 7th April

60min run , 7 miles

37mins /4.6miles 8.03min/mile/pace
    easy run

• Advertisement

thursday 9th April 09
    Speed session -very dissapointed
    intended to do 6*1k @ 6min 40sec approx, 1 min intervals

Actual
    5*1k @ 6min 40sec - 7mins , some intervals > 1 min

Disappointing : dont feel i am improving at all !

Advertisement