Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MON MAR 16 19:30 3RRB Boardeaux Coca Cola

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

good call on that Jules. that rule was, as i have been led to believe, done away with about 4 years ago, maybe more, however refs are still blowing it in most games. i think they use the unsporting behaviour ply behind it. it could essentially be up to the refs, but it wreecks of major inconsistency.

i was thinking about asking them to change the rule on the goal difference also for next season on that basis that some teams can turn up with 7 players one week and lose 10-1 and the following week dont field and its a walkover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

i was thinking about asking them to change the rule on the goal difference also for next season on that basis that some teams can turn up with 7 players one week and lose 10-1 and the following week dont field and its a walkover.

Yeh, you're on pretty solid ground there Ed I think. Before anyone pointed out that goal difference was counted in this league I had assumed it did not count as it is generally assumed that goal difference is only applied in serious competitions that are run in a very organised way....and don't have teams turning up with only 10,9,7 players which really does distort things like you highlighted above. The amount of times our games have run to a total of 55 minutes is another indication that this league isn't managed to the standards required to apply goal difference in a consistent manner.

No harm suggesting it just with the simple example you point out above - as long as it's clearly called out at the start of the next league I would be surprised if any team took issue with it. A play-off for teams finishing level on points at the top would seem a more satisfactory way of deciding who wins it. I know I would be a little reluctant to collect a winners medal if it was based on goal difference, particularly if the margin of goal difference we won by was based on a 10-1 against a side with reduced numbers when against another team they may have given a walkover and that team only gets a 3-0 instead of the chance to pummel them more than 10-1.

Don't think either of us are saying it will have any effect on how this season pans out so it's not sour grapes, it's just asking for it to be sorted for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I agree with the goal difference point definitely. Sure look at Oak Tree losing 4-1 to Bar Real on Monday. We lost 5-1 to Oak Tree and beat Bar Real easily twice. Oak Tree obviously knew they couldn't win the league and didn't bother bringing a full team or whatever. But, on the other hand, we didn't deserve to win the league I believe so if we end level with Glenwood they are worthy winners in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    , we didn't deserve to win the league I believe so if we end level with Glenwood they are worthy winners in that case.

:eek::confused::confused::confused:

eh?how do you work that out? youve only see them play twice, how do you know they havent made the same mistakes we have? how do you know that they didnt win games with last minute goals or get dodgy decisions? its all hear say, if we win the league, we will deserve it as we will have gotten 39 points. if they win it, they will deserve it.

we played them off the park for the majority of that game that we drew with them 2-2. i missed the first game, but we had a very depleted squad out that nite, missing 7 lads that played the week before. i remember it as i made the point that we would struggle in that game.

we have had a fantasitc season, no need for the negativity ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

We didn't deserve to win it because we only got a draw off them maybe? Not being negative Ed. They'll win Tuesday and we'll finish second, at least 3 points behind them. Best team wins the league. You can talk about dodgy decisions all you want.

• Advertisement
Advertisement