Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing comp, Ricardo Cordoba vs. Bernard Dunne-mar 21st

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

Dunne is obviously a gentleman by the way he reacted there, he was genuinely concerned. Hope the other lad is ok.
    fantastic quote abut his mam and dad not getin sexual lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Amazing. To come back like that after the 5th, brilliant.

Best day for Irish sport ever, I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Wow. Not a boxing fan but jesus that fight would convert me. Great heart from both fighters. Well done Bernard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Rugby was better! :p

Nah, great all round day for Irish sport, never forget this day, two of the greatest boxing and rugby matches ive ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I agree with the comment above about Bernard's reaction at the end of the fight. He showed a maturity I didnt think he had.

Not to take anything away from what was a great performance by Bernard, but I dont think Cordoba travels well. I think his record proves that. Wonder will they offer him a rematch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Wonder will they offer him a rematch?

I'm sure it was in the contract that they have to have a rematch if Cordoba lost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Well done Bernard. Top Class.

That's the 'proverbial' Cherry on the cake for Irish sport.

". . . an' shure wouldn't be a lovely little country if we could only roof it?" :D

Olé, Olé Olé Olé !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Good performance by Dunne, he is a lot stronger now than he has ever been. The strength and conditioning coach he has has certainly earned his corn.

I must admit I never thought Bernard could do it. Fair play:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Rizzla King

Brilliant fight, never seen Dunne box like that ever. Brilliant day for Irish sport.

The ref took a huge risk tonight. Cordoba was literally stumbling like he just drank a tray of Budweiser. Dunne was totally on top and the fat lady was already through her first verse by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

Wow what a fight!!

I didn't think Dunne had it in him to be honest,v glad to be proved wrong though.
    Could the ref not have given a standing count after the second knockdown?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Most recent news report on RTE says Cordoba got the all clear on the way to the hospital so thank god for that.
    Both men were warriors tonight. I knew Dunne had lovely boxing skills but I never thought he had that warrior spirit in him. Down twice in R5 he looked goosed but like a top class pro he kept his distant in 6 to get his head back together.
    I think the clash of heads in R4 shook him to bits. He said after the fight he lost his vision in R3 but I reckon he must have meant R4.
    I'd say there was nothing between them going into r11, maybe bernard by a round but I'd say any panamian could have had his boy ahead.
    Round 11 was unreal. Ref could have stopped after second knockdown but as was said before it's easy say that with hindsight.
    Best defence I've seen from Dunne ever aswell. Hands were always up high, great footwork and bobbing and weaving.
    Great day for irish sport, great day to be irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭glenjamin

as i said in the poker forum. dunne is an absoulute disgrace. he was acting cocky through the whole fight even when he was nearly on the felt himself. this title is really not a big deal and the fact that he is a total scumbag makes me not want to be happy he won

Are you ripping the piss? they touched gloves at the end of most rounds. Dunne took a couple of head butts and an elbow at one stage but just left the ref handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,882 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lads don't let glenjamin ruin the thread.

I don't see a mod around right now but I'm sure Walshb will be on shortly to sort that post out.;)

Are you ripping the piss? they touched gloves at the end of most rounds. Dunne took a couple of head butts and an elbow at one stage but just left the ref handle it.

i meant his whole attiude. if you go back to the martinez fight he acted like a total twat giving him no respect and he got totaly destroyed. im finished with this argument but i hope it wont be long before we see him lying on the felt again

Of course he was over cocky in the Martinez fight. Hawkins actually thanked Martinez in the ring. Looking at it now, it was probably one of the best that has happened to Dunne. His attitude has totally changed since then.

there are at least 4 different world titltes at his level. thats why it is not a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

glenjamin wrote: »
    there are at least 4 different world titltes at his level. thats why it is not a big deal

Not a big deal!!!!! What a load of rubbish, Bernard Dunne is World Champion, why are you putting him down so much?

Darragh Maloney said he was "the best boxer on the planet".
    I love when presenters get totally carried away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

beller2000 wrote: »
    now thats a prediction!
    Whos your daddy bitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Stiv

Darragh Maloney said he was "the best boxer on the planet".
    I love when presenters get totally carried away!
    haha I had a good laugh at just the same thing. In his defence, I think he meant in the context of his division, but even then he was way over the top.

Delighted for Bernard, though. I didn't think he had it in him, but he beat an opponent who was far better than anyone he's faced before. One of the best fights I've seen in a long time (after a slow start).

Also, it was nice to see how concerned he was about Cordoba afterwards. You could accuse Bernard of being a bit too cocky, but he's always seemed like a decent bloke beneath it all.

Advertisement