Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finglas - a history

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Degsy wrote: »
    Spanish sister's Convent
    finglaspanish.jpg

thanks, i moved from finglas west into the houses in the convent in 1997!

nice pic, cant wait to show my ma and da :D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Great Thread lads, I was born and reared on Wellmount Road. My parents still live there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

The pubs like the royal oak were known as coach houses ,so I was told anyways.

Great photos and posts ,
    Cheers:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

joewicklow wrote: »
    Great Thread lads, I was born and reared on Wellmount Road. My parents still live there!

A good road..
    It used to be called Springmount road after Springmount HOuse that was in the area.
    I've been trying to get a pic or more info on it so ask your folks do they know anything.
    I'll drop them in some cake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

cool thread im from finglas my parents moved there in the late forties still have lots of family there. Any more photos?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Jackeenboy

Isnt this place the Essex of Dublin??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭merrionsq

Good post. Looking at those quaint old photos, those country village folk must have been in for some shock when they were surrounded by one of the largest block of social housing in Dublin! Mostly inner city residents if my info is correct. I reckon there was no "public consultation process" back then!

De Velera unveils the Dick Mckee memorial 1951
    2400577019_6147e417b3.jpg?v=0

Glebe House2337764581_948836bd00.jpg?v=0

Old village scene2367788347_15a8fab60c.jpg?v=0

Church St before the dual carraigeway
    2370800610_49c4f0187d.jpg?v=0

Gofton Hall,formerly Eagle Lodge where the bank of ireland is now

2371322657_f879521b42.jpg?v=0

Mary Feegans shope,now the main centre car park

2371368517_c3c2b21f98.jpg?v=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

It's quite nice looking at photo's of how Finglas was, compared to what it has become.

It was a lovely place to be raised in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ebairead

You know the School on St Helena's Rd, there seems to be some kind of Old House attached to it.

Any idea what it is?

It's around the area I've marked with an X in this picture.

• Advertisement

ebairead wrote: »
    You know the School on St Helena's Rd, there seems to be some kind of Old House attached to it.

Any idea what it is?

Its now st helena's family resource centre and some scumbags burnt down the gatelodge last week.
    Dirty little pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

ebairead wrote: »

Any idea what it is?

I didn't see a picture. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Rashers wrote: »
    I didn't see a picture. :confused:

That's because that poster copied and pasted a post of mine form earlier in the thread, word for word, and didn't include the picture, for some reason.

Degsy.

That river/stream behind the house I live in.

What's the name of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

Some great pic's there, I'll have to show them to the grandfather.. He'll probably be able to name the people in the pictures..

Can't wait til I move back to Finglas in the next couple of weeks, catch up with all the old gang. Pity the Drake isn't open anymore. Never really drank in the Bottom of the Hill, & have bad memories of the Jolly. What's the best pub around now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I've heard Riordans (Drogehda Lodge...) or the Shamrock... (I know my OH's mam goes to the Shamrock...)... there's also the bar in the Ardmore Hotel... I've been a few times, very quiet... Which part are you moving to?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

A house share on McKee Avenue, so pretty much in the heart of the village. Heard good things about the Deputy Mayor once you avoid the samurai swords ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

sorry to dig up an old thread, it actually popped up in a google search. I was wondering if anyone had any links relating to pre-christian Finglas. I see the OP mentions a bit about it and I remember reading about it before but not having much luck online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DTRL

Hi, I'm looking to find out if anyone can remember a programme/documentary about Finglas that was shown on RTE1 back in late 1980s (I am guessing around 1987/1988). I really havent much to go on and have even tried RTE but they cant find it in their library but I am positive about it and definitely remember it. It was only on for about 25 minutes and all I can remember is that it was shown after the 6pm news and showed all different areas of Finglas with commentary. There is a book that I have called Finglas, Through The Ages and I'm nearly sure the programme was called something like this aswell. Its a long shot but if anyone can help or direct me in the right direction, it would be really appreciated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there is an archaeology dig starting in the next few weeks at the river road side of tolka valley. i wonder will it throw anything interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ohh interesting, where did you find that out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ebairead

Hi - do you know where, and who's doing it?

Eoin

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my aunt works in the office doing it (and ex-lodger is working on it)

IAC are going the dig

its the area around the tolka river in between scribblestown and the river road. the area is being developed as a recreational area, it has been marked as of being of important archaeology interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

irishbird wrote: »
    my aunt works in the office doing it (and ex-lodger is working on it)

IAC are going the dig

its the area around the tolka river in between scribblestown and the river road. the area is being developed as a recreational area, it has been marked as of being of important archaeology interest

Am curious, which part? Is that the area nearest the Ratoath Road or at the Garden Centre further in or the part just past the Garden Centre all the way up to that pitch & putt course?

Yes, i've roamed that area in my youth so know it well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Just wondering if the CoI national school is still there - and exactly where it is? I went there for a couple of years, but having been up around Finglas recently couldn't see where it might be with all the changes. We used to cross a stream to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 karengray

[the x on your map is a school called St Malacys primary schoolQUOTE=Des;59388823]Can you give some context to that picture?

What is where on it now.

Also.

Any idea what it is?

fing.jpg[/QUOTE]

the x on the map of Finglas, is a school called St Malacys primary school

o I know the house your talking about now, I grew up in Dunsink, I think it was like a gate lodge for St Helenas House

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

karengray wrote: »
    o I know the house your talking about now, I grew up in Dunsink, I think it was like a gate lodge for St Helenas House

There use to be a lane way from that house at st helenas directly to finglas wood house which is the corpo compound now in tolka valley park marked in blue on this map. https://maps.google.ie/maps/ms?msid=213841870191430604505.0004bf4cb707ba5fc78cc&msa=0&ll=53.378004,-6.30229&spn=0.014669,0.042272

you can use the historical maps here to compare to modern google street maps http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,712917,738141,6,7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Any idea what it is?

From memory, its owned by the HSE. Used for community services, they used to do counselling for example in there in the late 90's.

Advertisement