Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Seomra Dorcha

Options
  • 11-03-2009 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Tá fhios agam faoi (thread) trí na meán gaeilge agus faoi gaeilge

...and mods i know of Tna nG but I was wondering out of all the irish you learn in the first 18-ish years of your life how many could/would use it recreationally
    (níl fhios agam chun an ráiteas seo í nGaeilge)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ní thuigim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Oooh, go hiontach ar fad!

Is aoibheann liom a bheith in ann cumarsáid a dhéanamh trí mheáin ár dteanga dúchas!

Aon scéal aon duine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

phasers wrote: »
    Ní thuigim
    Tá tri focal(agus litir amháin) duit :
    Sinn é
    Cac

agus Táim tinneas le an Brú faoi an Árdteist go háiríthe an Béaltriaill í Bhraincís

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ní thuigim an ceist. An bhfuil tú i ndarire?

An bhfuil cead agam dul amach go dtí an leithreas?
    Agus madra rua.
    Is maith liom caca milis.
    Agus Sharon Ní Bheoláin!
    Tá geansaí orm.
    Tá scamall sa spéir.
    Tabhair dom an caca milis!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Ní thuigim an ceist. An bhfuil tú i ndarire?

An bhfuil cead agam dul amach go dtí an leithreas?
    Agus madra rua.
    Is maith liom caca milis.
    Agus Sharon Ní Bheoláin!
    Tá geansaí orm.
    Tá scamall sa spéir.
    Tabhair dom an caca milis!

:pac:
    Cad a Deirfá an scrúditheor deáirfamís é sa scrúdú beal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Sorry guys my german is woeful :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tá díomá an domhain orm faoin gcaighdeán teanga sa thread seo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Pisses me off that I spent fourteen years of my life learning Irish and yet two years after leaving school can barely understand the little "believe it or not" things on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Lock it now before it's too late!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

creggy wrote: »
    Lock it now before it's too late!!

This is the kind of attitude that has left most people in this country with little or no grasp of the Irish language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lastmi

we are forced to learn Irish for so long that i for one hate it!!!!
    i can understand one word

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Is gné fíor tábhachtach den oideachas in Éirinn é staidéar ar an Gaeilge. Ach, chun an fhírinne, níl an béim ceart uirthi mar ábhar scoile. Caithfear níos mó béim a chur ar an teanga labhartha, ionas go mbéadh méid níos mó duine in ann í a labhairt.

Más'é an scéal é nach bhfuil ach cúpla focail bunúsacha ar eolas a'at tar éis ceithre bhliain déag a chaiteamh ag iarracht í a fhoghlaim, taispeánann sé sin nach bhfuil an suim ceart agat nó nach bhfuil an stíl múinteorachta ann nó an dá rud.

'Sé adhaim an Ghaeilge mar ábhar scoile ná an teanga í féin a chur chun cinn. Tá sé rísholéir domsa nach bhfuil sé ag obair, cé nach dtuigim an fuath atá ag a lán daoine.

Ó. Ba í an Ghaeilge an ábhar ab fhearr liom (agus ba fhear a bhí agam) nuair a d'fhreastalas ar meanscoil. D'fhoghlaim mé mo chuid Gaeilge ar scoil, agus ní scoil lán-Gaelach í, ach oiread. Is féidir leat í a fhoghlaim más maith. Gaeilge abú!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

lastmi wrote: »
    we are forced to learn Irish for so long that i for one hate it!!!!
    i can understand one word

Than How did you know what this thread was about?

What is the one word?

Is aoibhean liom Gaeilge, ceapaim go bhfuil sé teanga níos fear, ach tá mó gramádach an shíte:pac:

Fádas for me is like playing darts (Im bad at darts too) so the end up in random places :D

An File wrote: »
    This is the kind of attitude that has left most people in this country with little or no grasp of the Irish language.

No, I'm saying lock it because this topic comes up all the time, particularly in the LC forum.

I assume the future of the thread will be consisting two sides. One group whining over learning Irish for 14 years blah blah blah and other group, the fluent folk defending it. It's more common that muff diving site appearing in AH...

That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lastmi

Fad wrote: »
    Than How did you know what this thread was about?

What is the one word?
    that would be telling!!
    and my dog told me wat the thread was about !!

No, it's not. Being force fed useless tripe about scéals, filíocht agus úrscéal is what the first problem is. In all my years of "learning" the language, the only time I've actually spoken it has been the last two weeks, preparing for Orals. Know what? That was when I actually learned something.

It's not spoken. That's another problem. It's not spoken in classes, in day to day life, you wouldn't hear cupla focal gaeilge until you're preparing for your orals. And after that, it's the same again. You'd almost swear that the country is still under brittish rule, and Irish was forbidden.

You're a smart lad, and you know the language. Fair play to you. But you don't know a thing about why it's failing to be taught properly. If you plan on being a good teacher, and ever an Irish teacher... I think if anything, you should take heed of this. You don't learn a language from a book.

You learned English from hearing it, from the day you were born. You always hear the language spoken as a baby. You couldn't read or write when you were 1, could you? But I'm fairly sure you learned to speak. Listening and repeating. And by age 4-5 you could hold up a conversation in english, play with other children, function in society as a child does. The most advanced reading you probably did was the Lion king, or other disney stories. You didn't even know what a poem was. But you could use the language. Gaelscoileanna are talking in Irish all the time...and guess what, they can use the Irish language. Surprise surprise.

Apply the same logic (and it is logic) to the Irish language, and it will blossom. Yes I know this requires a total reform of the way the language is taught and examined in schools, but, it's what needs to happen if it's ever to be taught properly.

My Taekwondo instructor once said to the class as we were preparing for a grading; If you fail, It doesn't reflect badly on you.I'm the one who's failed as a teacher. (paraphrased) - I think the same attitude should be taken with the language. You're quick to blame the students. "That attitude ....". I think the gaelgeoiri are the ones failing as teachers of the language.

I may be right or wrong, ach sin é i mo thuraim féin.

I don't think the teachers are to blame. It's the entire country's attitude to the language as well the Irish syllabus been taught in schools. The only way I could see Irish been proper revived is to have Irish EVERYWHERE!..Not just road signs but, food packages etc etc.

We should have the same attitude as our neighbours in Wales with their Welsh language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ta me punca fada briste :( Seachtain na Gaeilge a bhuachailli, ta seanfhocal agam anois, Cad ata Dubh agus Ban........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Nios tábhachtaí, cad é an Gaeilga atá ar 'muff diving', le bhúr dtoil?

• Advertisement

No, it's not. Being force fed useless tripe about scéals, filíocht agus úrscéal is what the first problem is. In all my years of "learning" the language, the only time I've actually spoken it has been the last two weeks, preparing for Orals. Know what? That was when I actually learned something...

Is mór an trua nach bhfuil martial art éigin Ghaelach ;)

Is fuath liom peil ghaelach. Is é spórt amaideach, dar liomsa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

ta an t-adh liom anocht chun a bheith ag leamh an "thread" sin, mar beidh mo thrialscrudu beil ar siul ar maidin amarach.

Aontaimse go mba choir duinn go leir a bheith ag caint as Ghaeilge, ach faraor, ni tharloidh se sin aris mar ta tionchar ro-mhor ag na Stait Aontaithe, mar shampla sna clair teilifise a fheachann an aos og gach uile la. Ach, cinnte, caithfidh an teanga a bheith riachtanach sna mheanscoileanna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Cen fath? Cad ata amaideach faoi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

creggy wrote: »
    I don't think the teachers are to blame. It's the entire country's attitude to the language as well the Irish syllabus been taught in schools. The only way I could see Irish been proper revived is to have Irish EVERYWHERE!..Not just road signs but, food packages etc etc.

We should have the same attitude as our neighbours in Wales with their Welsh language.

But in Wales, not only is it everywhere, it's seen as cool. Lots of famous Welsh speakers are very proud of it. Also, in Wales, the standard of education in Ysgol Gymraeg is a lot higher.

Tóg é sin ar ais! :eek:

Is spórt den scoth é. Dar liomsa :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

gaeilge mar martial art? bheadh sé sin gach sort awesome :D

ok, it's been 4 years since ive done written irish, (holy **** im getting old), so please go easy on me... but here's an effort at any rate.

mé féin, is aoibheann liom gaeilge, agus nuair a bhí mé ag fásadh anuas, d'úsáid (i know that's not quite the right tense, ach it's been a few years since ive written/spoken a lot of gaeilge), mo mham cúpla focail gaeilge an t-am ar fad. ní raibh sí liofa, ar choir ar bith (ní chead agam fada a chuir ar an 'o'. stupid foreign computer.), ach rudaí mar 'lámha suas', 'suigh síos', 'tá dinnéar reidh'. nuair a bhíomar níos sinne, rug mé greim maith go leor ar an dteanga, agus céanna le mo dhearthair, agus thosamar (that doesnt look right at all... ) ag caint as gaeilge le chéile sa theach.

ceapaim go bhfuil an fadbh is mo' leis an siollabas, ná an chaoi ina bhfuil sé déanta sa bhunscoil. ag an am go bhfuilimid sa mheánscoil, ba choir go bhfuilimid in ann filíocht a léamh, chéanna leis and chaoi go dhéanaimid béarla. ba choir aistí agus díospoireacht agus comhrá a scriobh. níl aon fadbh agam leis an siollabais mar atá sé faoi láthair sa mheanscoil, tá an fadhb sa bhunscoil.

actually, sin é an fadhb le theangacha eile freisin. cén fath go bhfanaimid go dtí go bhfuilimid 12 no 13 chun francis/gearmáinis a fhoglam?

Tóg é sin ar ais! :eek:

Is spórt den scoth é. Dar liomsa :P

Ní thógfaidh me rud ar bith ar ais. :p

Rithimid thart i bpáirc arís agus arís eile. Amaideach!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i can speak irish and i do so quite regularly with my friends but my grammer and spellings are ufasach so im not going to inflict it on you all.

though i do think it strange that a subject that we learn since were kids hasnt got a higher standard.and in my year out 0f 128 of us only 9 are doing higer.mainly due to the crap course and our teacher dosent speak english in the class really so it intimidates a lot of people.

ta bron orm ach cad a cuireann tu an fada ar na focailacha?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

cepaim go bhfuil gaeilge go hiontach ! :)
    however, i think that we're thought it COMPLETELY wrong in shcools, with a lack of focus on grammar, which I've discovered is kinda important

a show of hands here =p who knew that there was male and female nouns in irish ?!

Anyway I'm gonna do that free irish course they have in UCD come september :)

Advertisement