Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

I cant manage to find an unblocked, working proxy for this. Any help anyone please?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

htmlblock.co.uk should work. you only need the proxy to sign up - you can download the client from http://www.spotify.com/en/download/windows/ without a proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I use spotify and have done so sucessfully since it was launched without having had to use a proxy UK server or get a premium account, however I am after receiving an email from Spotify to say the following!!!

Dear Spotify user,

We're writing to you in regards to your Spotify account which up
    until now you've been using free of charge. While we are really
    happy that you are enthusiastically using Spotify, we are
    unfortunately going to have to restrict access to your free
    account.

Spotify is currently available in six countries: Sweden, Norway,
    Finland, Spain, France and the UK. We never intended to allow
    use of our service outside of those countries and we do not run
    any adverts on your account like we do in the launch countries.
    For this reason we have to restrict your account, you will be
    able to log in to Spotify and view music and playlists but not
    listen to any music.

We are sorry that we have to take this step. We do hope to
    launch our free service in more countries in the future.

If you have any questions regarding this please feel free to
    contact our support team. (support@spotify.com)

any one else get this ?? :(

same here - I'm surprised they're not encouraging users to sign up to the Premium service though - that is available here afaik and now also gives access to the iPhone app.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Shame about that.

For info here in France we're getting an ad after every 4th song. I'm using www.deezer.com more often now.

• Advertisement

yup its already been deactivated! :(

some articles which I was email today about Spotify ..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/18/spotify/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/09/all_eyes_on_spotify.html

Ponster wrote: »
    Shame about that.

For info here in France we're getting an ad after every 4th song. I'm using www.deezer.com more often now.

yes when I am at my cuz's place in the UK, using it there there is ads about every hour for a good 5 mins as far as I remember, dont know if that has increased or not now.

loyatemu wrote: »
    same here - I'm surprised they're not encouraging users to sign up to the Premium service though - that is available here afaik and now also gives access to the iPhone app.

yes that seems to be available, the premium service still for Ireland, the day pass and premium ones, its not showing not available for your country anyways when you click it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Got the same email today, after using the product for the last 4 months. Feeling a bit lost now, escpecially after Last.fm shutdown their streaming radio service to Irish customers. And before that Pandora.

Any good alternatives, preferably with last.fm integration?? Hypem would do the trick if you could remove the remixes from the playlists. Awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

in the same boat. got the same email
    wonder has anyone figured a way around this
    presume using a UK proxy won't work

• Advertisement

I might try setting up a proxy to see if people could log in and use Spotify.

Does anyone know if Windows comes with a built-in http proxy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

jeez I set it up last night and played 16 songs went to bed and it was gone ffs

I gather they seen this thread or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

also can't use it anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

This app is great but does anyone else find the business model a bit flawed? Why would I want to pay £10 a month and not own any music at the end of it? I could buy 1 album a month for that, after a couple of years I'm going to have a very extensive collection which I physically own and can come back to years later.

It's great as a free app and for checking out albums before you buy them but I can't believe people are actually signing up for this! £10 a month to own nothing... come on people!

Edit:

1. Spotify checks your IP address matches your country sign up details every 14 days. Note it only does this once every 14 days.
    2. Login to spotify via the web site via a proxy server.
    4. Continue to use the Spotify app as usual (without a proxy) for another 13 days.

You're not doing anybody any favours by posting poxy servers on the web. They will be blocked and then nobody can use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭j0ey2069

Tried signing up for a Spotify account just there but it seems they're gone back to using invite only now. Could someone send me an invite?

The whole idea is that for £10 you own everything. If you have an iphone with a decent data package in a city with good speeds all you'll ever need to use is spotify so therefore after a few years you wont just have a decent collection you'll have everything!

Mmcd wrote: »
    The whole idea is that for £10 you own everything. If you have an iphone with a decent data package in a city with good speeds all you'll ever need to use is spotify so therefore after a few years you wont just have a decent collection you'll have everything!
    But you don't own anything. Why bother when you can download or buy a CD and actually own what you are paying for? Cancel your subscription and you lose your music collection! What if they remove your favourite album? you'll have to go out and buy it even though you've already paid for it.

This will do a good job of killing off p2p. People are less likely to upload albums knowing everyone has free access on a PC but this won't stop illegal copying. I mean who are they to tell people what they can and cannot do with the data which we have already paid for via our ISP subscription and which they are storing on our PC's? Let me put it this way, is it illegal to record TV programs? Nope. Is it illegal to record internet streams, nope. Is it illegal for me to do whatever I like with data I find on my pc, which is there by perfectly legal means? Nope.

The battle field has changed but there is still a battle to be faught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I've been using to for a month,Using a UK postcode,I got a popup saying i wasn't where i was so was in 14 day holiday mode,I edited my profile to Ireland and a few days later i got an email saying i could no longer use it..

Stupid,Why won't they release it here?

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Stupid,Why won't they release it here?

Because I imagine that legally they can't.

• Advertisement

20goto10 wrote: »
    But you don't own anything. Why bother when you can download or buy a CD and actually own what you are paying for? Cancel your subscription and you lose your music collection! What if they remove your favourite album? you'll have to go out and buy it even though you've already paid for it.

This will do a good job of killing off p2p. People are less likely to upload albums knowing everyone has free access on a PC but this won't stop illegal copying. I mean who are they to tell people what they can and cannot do with the data which we have already paid for via our ISP subscription and which they are storing on our PC's? Let me put it this way, is it illegal to record TV programs? Nope. Is it illegal to record internet streams, nope. Is it illegal for me to do whatever I like with data I find on my pc, which is there by perfectly legal means? Nope.

The battle field has changed but there is still a battle to be faught.
    1. I have more or less all the music I want now which is about 300 albums. There is no chance that I would pay €3000 for that. Its equivalent to about 20 years of a sub to spotify, I dont really get an extra buzz knowing I own them, I just want access to them. Even if spotify were to close down there will always be an alternative.

2. Very few real pirates will use this as with rapidshare and usenet theres no need to. Unless they reduce the price and it massively increases popularity it wont effect most pirates.

3. It is illegal to record tv shows

i have plenty of CDs but I virtually never listen to them after ripping them to mp3, so whats the point of having the actual discs and plastic boxes?

Similarly, if you buy mp3s, what exactly do you own? Some bits on a hard drive?

Spotify, and other streaming services are about having access to whatever music you want, whenever you want it - you're paying for a service, like Sky. Its a new model of music consumption, but as internet-connected music players become ubiquitous its likely to be the primary way people get their music in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭furryvision

you can't even get a premium account in ireland now.. or was this always the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Just use LAST.FM ....for only 3.00 euro a month you get Unlimited radio streaming.

you can't even get a premium account in ireland now.. or was this always the way?

I was able to get a day pass other nite on it

• Registered Users Posts: 35 leon45

loyatemu wrote: »
    i have plenty of CDs but I virtually never listen to them after ripping them to mp3, so whats the point of having the actual discs and plastic boxes?

Similarly, if you buy mp3s, what exactly do you own? Some bits on a hard drive?

What about when your computer crashes and wipes your hard drive - you'll be glad you have the CDs then

leon45 wrote: »
    What about when your computer crashes and wipes your hard drive - you'll be glad you have the CDs then
    Not if you had half a brain and had them backed up.
    Anyone that is storing them only on an internal HD deserves what coming to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

DominoDub wrote: »
    Just use LAST.FM ....for only 3.00 euro a month you get Unlimited radio streaming.

Spotify alternative, www.grooveshark.com.

Very good, fast, in your browser, legal AFAIK?

Check it out, it's good :D

grooveshark is cool, just not as user-friendly as Spotify. I also have serious doubts about its legality - they have stuff like the Beatles on there which are not available elsewhere (http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/Come_Together/15053).

Their original business model was to allow users to upload their own MP3s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grooveshark), which were then sold on with the original uploader getting a cut of the profit - a clearly illegal system which they now seem to have dropped, but I still expect them to get shutdown by the authorities eventually (see also Muxtape and Mixwit).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

This vid helps get it back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyLDPrSQkIc

Advertisement