Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spotify.com

Options
  • 10-03-2009 7:22pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from the likes of Deezer.com, this is a music-streaming program that's well worth a look.

You may need a proxy to sign up as mentioned in this thread.

edit :

I like the way you can create playlists and easily share them with others via facebook/www

http://www.sharemyplaylists.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I have been using this for a while (even before it was made public through a friend who was beta testing it) and have to say its brilliant .. no buffering at all, nearly every song u can think of available on it (altho at times some are blocked for Ireland) ... and best of all no adverts either .. def gets the thumbs up from me!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Anyone else have trouble with this now? I downloaded it through a proxy and it worked great, but now every time I log in it says my country doesn't match the address in my profile (UK)

So it looks like Spotify checks IP locations everytime you log on to stop people like us using it any more, which is a major bummer. Any way around this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

yeah I can't use it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Daysha wrote: »
    So it looks like Spotify checks IP locations everytime you log on to stop people like us using it any more, which is a major bummer. Any way around this?

It allows you to use it for 14 days outside of the UK or France or Norway.

Can you try using the same proxy for Spotify to play 1 song and see if that resets the 14 days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Ponster wrote: »
    Can you try using the same proxy for Spotify to play 1 song and see if that resets the 14 days ?

I'd try, but I wouldn't know how to set up a proxy for an actual program. I only know how to do it for websites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

I dont know if this is still the case with Spotify, I have been using it since it was made public,( I had been using another persons account first on beta) but when launched initally was not able to use it as free version not available in Ireland, so I did a search on some of the forums for it.. anyways what I did was sign up for premium, left it an hour and cancelled the sub, so only paid for a month, it seemed to be a loophole that they had and I know ppl in other countries that couldnt use it were doing same thing if premium was available to them .. I have not had any problems since with using it or that, and I dont get any adverts like I know other ppl get like when in the UK.. I dont know tho as I say if this little trick is still available!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,777 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I got the location login error - went into my profile and changed my location back to Ireland and its working fine again. No ads either (as they obviously don't have any localised ads for Ireland).

Daysha wrote: »
    I'd try, but I wouldn't know how to set up a proxy for an actual program. I only know how to do it for websites.

Run spotify - edit - preferences - proxy

prob won't work but worth a try...

what's anybody doing after the 14 days are up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

what's anybody doing after the 14 days are up?

getting my friends in Finland and France to log in for me!

:( I downloaded it again but I don't want to fecking download it every 14 days

:( I downloaded it again but I don't want to fecking download it every 14 days

as mentioned above - I just changed my location to "ireland" in my profile and can log in fine, no warning messages. been using it for over a month now, and I haven't had any ads either.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just signed up there, made an account via a UK proxy, downloaded the program, turned off the proxy and its working fine:)

Only for 14 days though. Read up to find out what to do when your time runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

This program looks savage! Just started using it there, had heard about it from a friend o mine who's in college in the UK. I set up an account using a UK-based web proxy (http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/) and was able to download spotify and login with no problems. I turned of auro-detect proxy just in case but it's been working fine so far. Hope it lasts :)

I have tons of music but its not organised properly and most of it is store on an external hard drive so this program is perfect. :D

Where does it say anywhere that it will stop working after 14 days? Oh and i changed my country in my profile to Ireland, will that sort it?

The program is available in only certain European countries but not Ireland I'm afraid. It has a 'holiday' mode where you can use it for 14 days outside of Sweden, Norway, Finland, the UK, France, Spain or The Netherlands. Once the 14 days are up it stops working unless you follow the tips posted earlier in the thread :)

I have 10 invites available if anyone is interested. Just end me a PM with your e-mail address.....

So if i change my country in my profile to Ireland, it will still work after the 14 days?

loyatemu says so, yes.

7 invites left.

Remember I just need an e-mail address....

4 invites left.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 kallstrom86

i cant get it to scrobble to my last.fm. any ideas?? I have the box checked in preferences but its not working

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭subtle_as

just registered there with no problems! used http://www.daveproxy.co.uk/ and then copied this: https://www.spotify.com/en/get-started/ as stated in the first post and when asked for postal code when registering, used: http://www.postcodesearch.org.uk/

program that you download doesnt seem to ask or check your IP so you'll be grand. dont no about the ads yet. havent been using it long enough yet!

1 invite left if anyone is interested....

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Spotify is fantastic, especially the playlist function which is like listening to someone's mixtape. the Quietus have done some great ones and there is also one of 423 of the songs featured in Garry Mulholland's book This is Uncool: The 500 Greatest Singles since Punk and Disco.

I thought some may be interested in the news concerning the Spotify Iphone app :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8169971.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Heffo

Has anyone an invite for me? :confused:

I would appreciate it immensely...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Heffo

Pleaz ne 1...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Heffo wrote: »
    Pleaz ne 1...

It ain't available in Ireland yet mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Download the software using a uk proxy and sign up

It works no problems...For 2 weeks anyway (i think)

I dont think invites are needed anymore!
    I didnt need one

• Advertisement

ciano1 wrote: »
    Download the software using a uk proxy and sign up

It works no problems...For 2 weeks anyway

change your location to "Ireland" after signing up and it will work indefinitely (you won't hear any ads either).

Advertisement