Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cao 1st preference applications for ucd medicine up 46%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

This amuses me greatly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Harsh stuff, luckily for me I'm going for Computer Science in DIT and according to the Sunday Tribune a few weeks back there was a huge decrease last year in people doing science, engineer, etc... courses in DIT and ITT.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Why?
    Think about it.

Did all those people (a 46% increase on last year) want to do medicine more than anything else before the 'recession'? :pac:

Hmmm, a valid point.
    I know there are a lot of first years in college sitting the HPAT as well so that may have something to do with it. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

maybe it's because the cut off point points wise is 480 +HPAT so it seems a lot more attainable to students who would never have been able to get the 570 mark, so more people are giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Does it also tell us that for the past few years there have been a lot of leaving cert students who actually wanted to be doctors but didn't put it down as their first preference simply because they didn't believe that they would get near 570 points.

And isn't this what the CAO tell students every year not to do. Do not try to anticipate points. Every year we hear of students who don't want their first choice on their CAO when they get it because they actually got the points for their third or fourth choice (the course they really wanted!!!!)

Even if you think you are going to fail your leaving cert but medicine would be your favourite course you must put it down as number 1. If for nothing else at least it's something to brag about until august.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

well I think it's that there are a lot more people out there that would be great doctors but don't have the luck of being that talented

I know people would be more suited to being a doctor than some as they would be almost guarenteed A's in biology and the sciences but can't handle languages so have no chance at 500+ but with the HPAT they can and I think we would be much better off for it

Why?

Because a ridiculous amount of people seem to think if they get 480 and do decently in the HPAT they'll get in.

I doubt somehow, that there'll be many Med Students next year who got 480.

Dont think its much to do with the recession tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I had UCD Medicine as my number one last year!
    This year though, Trinners.

I'm just hoping the vast majority of applicants FAIL horribly. Like, really horribly.
    I'm lovely really.

• Advertisement

Ah I dont know to be honest.
    I'd say there's a fair scatter of students who take this recession lark into account when choosing their course.

And I think you are right about the 480 cut off mark. I really dont see the point/advantage to this HPAT at all.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me......

bythewoods wrote: »

I'm just hoping the vast majority of applicants FAIL horribly. Like, really horribly.
    I'm lovely really.

You're competing, its the right attitude:)

You made the right decision!:pac:

And I think you are right about the 480 cut off mark. I really dont see the point/advantage to this HPAT at all.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me......

'Fraid not!
    I took the damn exam, it was a load of rubbish tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

does it matter what college you put first or is it just the top points get all the places in the country assuming they have the colleges on the CAO in whatever order... if you get me

think i have UCD first at the moment and then RCSI and Trinners... might be making a few changes to this come May

In general, Trinity has the highest points. Then Cork/ UCD are around the same. Galway/ RCSI are too. Ish.
    Who knows how it'll go this year though?

Your order is your preference like...

ye i get that (uhh i dont even know how to explain this properly so sorry for this crappy attempt :rolleyes:), but is it just the people who get the top points in the country will get the 500 or so places available or does order of preference make a difference on whether or not youll get say your second or third choice if you dont get enough points for your first?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm lovely really.

I feel exactly the same >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Dubs wrote: »
    ye i get that (uhh i dont even know how to explain this properly so sorry for this crappy attempt :rolleyes:), but is it just the people who get the top points in the country will get the 500 or so places available or does order of preference make a difference on whether or not youll get say your second or third choice if you dont get enough points for your first?
    If you don't get the points for your first choice, you'll be considered for your second choice. If you don't get the points for that choice, you'll be considered for your third, and so on, and so forth. It moves down the list until you do qualify for a course you put down, and that's what's offered to you.
    When who gets in to what course is being chosen, it's about the points. If there are x places available, the x people with the highest points (and who have the course as their first choice,of course) will get them. (I think they do lottery draws, too, in case, say, x+1 people have the necessary points.) Having, say, Medicine for all your CAO choices (I think this is what you were trying to ask?) won't affect your chances of getting any of them in particular, the fact that your choices are consistent means nothing when courses are being allocated. It's just down to who got the points. (And metriculation etc., of course.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

A few people in my schoolgoing for medicine this year that dont have a hope!

People who'll get maybe 520 pushing hard, heard about this 480 thing and think theyll get med aswell.........! Chances :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

there's people in my year going for it that don't have a hope either
    It's probably just cos of the aptitude test that more people applied, if you're seriously going for it I wouldn't really worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Realistically I would think that the people who would've gotten into medicine before the HPAT was introduced will be the same people who get in this year.
    I would find very hard to imagine that the people who get in to medicine this year will be drastically different from previous years.

ye i think this is what i was trying to ask, thanks!: :D

and to be honest i think it will be more down to luck with the HPAT results. Everyone iv spoken to has said they feel the same way as me about the HPAT and they felt they performed the same way in each of the sections. Of course it doesnt mean the other 12,000 applicants feel the same way but i think its going to come down to the guesses and high enough leaving cert results

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There are at least 5 girls in my school who have never expressed even a vague interest in science or medicine before who have UCD Med as their number one, simply because of the HPAT, points reduction and the prestige of being a doctor. I was talking about med school with one of them and how hard it looks and she said "Ah sure I'd say I'll be out clubbing most nights."
    good luck love!

I hope this means the points for my course will go through the floor, I mean who wants a degree in media during a recession? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

I know a few people who have medicine down but don't care, and others who do care but haven't a hope.
    People seem to think that if they can get medicine they should go for it. A friend of mine has no interest in it whatsoever, but his mother is pressuring him into medicine just because he's capable. He's still going to change his first choice to Genetics anyway, which is what he wants. But I'm still baffled by this mindset of not going for what you want, or in that case trying to get the person to do something he doesn't want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Heggy wrote: »
    I know a few people who have medicine down but don't care, and others who do care but haven't a hope.
    People seem to think that if they can get medicine they should go for it. A friend of mine has no interest in it whatsoever, but his mother is pressuring him into medicine just because he's capable. He's still going to change his first choice to Genetics anyway, which is what he wants. But I'm still baffled by this mindset of not going for what you want, or in that case trying to get the person to do something he doesn't want to do.

To be honest, everybody grows to despise whatever choices they make in life so you might aswel do something like medicine, even if it makes you want to grab the nearest person and kick the faeces out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

To be honest, everybody grows to despise whatever choices they make in life so you might aswel do something like medicine, even if it makes you want to grab the nearest person and kick the faeces out of them.
    Wow, someone's a pessimist...

I remember the day of my results someone telling me I should do medicine 'cause I got the points for it... yeah, except I can't handle blood, or injections, and hate biology, and just about everything. : p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

Wow, someone's a pessimist...

I remember the day of my results someone telling me I should do medicine 'cause I got the points for it... yeah, except I can't handle blood, or injections, and hate biology, and just about everything. : p

Nah, I'd say realist!!

I think if somebody has a kind of nagging feeling in their mind about wanting to do something worthwhile with their life, it isn't a bad idea to set your sights on medicine. It might be a good idea however to fully inform yourself as to what you are getting into. This thread and article may provide some insight.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055506988

http://doctoryblog.wordpress.com/2008/12/18/its-a-doctors-life/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Heggy wrote: »

yeah people think they should do something with really high points if they can get it, I don't understand! :confused:
    phasers wrote: »

I hope this means the points for my course will go through the floor, I mean who wants a degree in media during a recession? ;)

I'm hoping that for me too, economics and finance anybody? hopefully nobody :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

I feel tv with shows like scrubs and greys anatomy has turned medicine into a fashion parade, with people just wanting the glamour.

Advertisement