Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Reganovski wrote: »
    Cheers hshortt.....I actually sorted it last night.
    If you have that error, just run blackrain and it will sort. Only thing was that then I didnt have cydia installed so i couldnt unlock my phone. I'm sure I'll sort it this evening when I give it another go....at least now its now on 3.1.2.

I'm in a similar boat as you. I upgraded to 4.0.1 but now I'm stuck on the activation screen and I dont have the files backed up on Cydia. Also, I'm in the US, with an Irish phone and currently have no way of getting the necessary sim card. Afraid I'm at a total loss and currently with no working phone over here. :(

If you guys have any possible advice that I could try please let me know. I'll pay you with cookies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

I'm in a similar boat as you. I upgraded to 4.0.1 but now I'm stuck on the activation screen and I dont have the files backed up on Cydia. Also, I'm in the US, with an Irish phone and currently have no way of getting the necessary sim card. Afraid I'm at a total loss and currently with no working phone over here. :(

If you guys have any possible advice that I could try please let me know. I'll pay you with cookies. :)
    If you had your blob backed up on Cydia, I'd be able to help you but outside of that unfortunately I can't....i'd love some cookies too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Hey Smashing Pilot. I am currently in the same boat. I have a US iPhone I am trying to unlock for a friend and need an american Sim to activate and then Jailbreak/Unlock the phone. As you can see from my post above, Redmond Pie reccomend a Phonebook Sim which apparantly lets you get past the activation screen to the point where you can jailbreak etc. I have placed my order for one and it's due to arrive on Monday. I will try it then and let you know how I get on.

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭applejunkie

Hi all
    I am currently using a 3GS 3.1.3 with the 5.12.01 firmware
    I had previously jail broken with spirit and unlocked with ultrasnow , if I want to go up to 4.0 software do I just update in iTunes and then jailbreak again
    When I open cydia it tells me it has ssh's on file for my iPhone but do I need to back them up to my pc and if so how? All help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

I've just Jailbroken & unlocked an iPhone 3Gs (32GB) on 4.0.1. But, when I insert any sim card the iTunes logo pops up.

I've jailbroken/unlocked 4/5 already using jailbreakme.com/ultrasn0w without any issue.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

I've just Jailbroken & unlocked an iPhone 3Gs (32GB) on 4.0.1. But, when I insert any sim card the iTunes logo pops up.

I've jailbroken/unlocked 4/5 already using jailbreakme.com/ultrasn0w without any issue.

Any ideas?

Here is the fix to this issue;
    easy way to solve diff sim detected (emergency mode ) after jailbreak

if phone after jailbreak and unlock go to emergency mode , u must :

download ifunbox software :
    http://www.pars-gsm.com/Downloads/ifunbox_en.zip

run software and sync with phone

go to /private/var/root/Library/ and delete orginal lockdown folder and put attached lockdown folder

restart phone

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Any ideas?

Any chance you could give me a quick run through of how you unlocked with ulrasnOw? I have the exact same iphone/version etc.

Also 4.0.1 isnt listed in iClarified's unlocking, I presume it wont unlock it?

Any chance you could give me a quick run through of how you unlocked with ulrasnOw? I have the exact same iphone/version etc.

Also 4.0.1 isnt listed in iClarified's unlocking, I presume it wont unlock it?
    4.0.1 (and lower) is supported for unlock.

Jailbreak then Unlock

Easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Hi I have a 3GS 4.0.1 factory unlocked.

Am I correct in saying if I jailbreak it will still work properly and what will happen if I update?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭guil

Headshot wrote: »
    I read today that you can unlock the new Iphone which atm doesnt really interest me but in the same article it mentions you can unlock the ipod touch

iv an ipod touch 3rd gen so can the latest jailbreak unlock that and if so any instructions please
    go to jailbreakme.com on the ipod and slide to jailbreak, thats it
    vinnycoyne wrote: »
    Updated the OP with latest info. Please let me know if I've left something out.
    yeah its the iphone 4 not 4g:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

This thread can be very confusing for people who aren't tech savvy. I'm completely lost :pac:

If I get a contract phone off 02 could I unlock it and use a Meteor sim? Or would I be better off just buying a factory unlocked phone off apple.com?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

SantryRed wrote: »
    This thread can be very confusing for people who aren't tech savvy. I'm completely lost :pac:

If I get a contract phone off 02 could I unlock it and use a Meteor sim? Or would I be better off just buying a factory unlocked phone off apple.com?

Thanks.

You can get a contract phone off 02 and unlock it alright and use it on meteor. But why would you do that? Have a contract with O2 and not use? You best better is buy one here completely factory unlocked and pop your sim and off you pop.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTAyNTQzMjI

But the price difference is madness is it not? From an 02 contract phone to a factory unlocked phone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

What are the best apps to get off Cydia? Ive only just jailbreaked my ipod touch OS4.0 for the first time ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭guil

But the price difference is madness is it not? From an 02 contract phone to a factory unlocked phone?
    yeah it is but ya still have the price of the contract every month

guil wrote: »
    yeah it is but ya still have the price of the contract every month

Oh right, so you couldn't get a bill phone which you just pay the amount at the end of each month that you've spent?

Sorry for all the questions lads :pac:

Here is the fix to this issue;

Hey Mushroom. Just want to ask you about i-Funbox. I have a 3G that after Jailbreaking and using Ultrasnow to unlock, is giving me theDifferent SIM Detected message.

I have tried your method once where i used i-Funbox to get as far as the Lockdown folder which contains 3 Folders: Activation_records, escrow_records and pair records along with the files you link to below: data_ark.plist, device_private_key.pem and device_public_key.pem .

At this point i deleted the data_ark.plist, device_private_key.pem and device_public_key.pem, and replaced them with the files you linked to. This did not fix the problem and when I connected the phone to itunes, it was giving an error message and could not connect to the phone.

Can you clarify if I delete all files in the Lockdown file, and replace them with only your 3 files, or do I only delete the 3 that I am replacing.

Any help or other suggestions welcome.

Thanks guys.

Hey Mushroom. Thanks for your help. Found a guide to what you suggested on Redmond Pie:
    http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-different-sim-detected-emergency-mode-problem-in-iphone-4-3gs-3g-after-jailbreaking-with-jailbreakme/

All sorted now. Also, the phonebook SIM card I ordered from the states did the job perfectly. Thanks to all who helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hi Guys,

Just need a small bit of advice please? I have a jailbroken 3.1.3 iphone. I want to upgrade to the 4, do I just go via itunes & then jailbreak it again or is there an alternative? Also where in Cydia do I store my settings? Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Well the news is good. I actually managed to find an irish person on O2 here in Berkeley. So was able to activate my phone. Jailbreaking/unlocking was a piece of cake. :)

Was wondering if anyone could give me some good sources for Cydia??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Oh right, so you couldn't get a bill phone which you just pay the amount at the end of each month that you've spent?

Sorry for all the questions lads :pac:

But why would you want to buy a bill phone and pay o2 a monthly amount on top of the initial couple of hundred for the phone and then unlock it and switch to meteor? You would essentially be paying two phone bills, your monthly contract with o2 AND whatever charges you make with meteor.

The reason factory unlocked phones are so expensive is just that, they are factory unlocked and allow you to use any network you want and avoid all the monthly charges associated with bill phones and just allow to use a pay as you go sim.

and of course you can just buy a bill pay phone and pay a monthly contract, that's what most people do, it's just stupidly expensive and compared to English prices is simply a joke. But to do this and then unlock it would just be nonsensical.

Headshot wrote: »
    I read today that you can unlock the new Iphone which atm doesnt really interest me but in the same article it mentions you can unlock the ipod touch

iv an ipod touch 3rd gen so can the latest jailbreak unlock that and if so any instructions please

You don't unlcock an ipod touch. You simply jailbreak it and the cydia app becomes available. Through cydia you then do whatever you want.

Unlock ONLY applies to phones.

But why would you want to buy a bill phone and pay o2 a monthly amount on top of the initial couple of hundred for the phone and then unlock it and switch to meteor? You would essentially be paying two phone bills, your monthly contract with o2 AND whatever charges you make with meteor.

Didn't realise it was a monthly contract! That's my point :pac: Thought it was pay what you used at the end of the month. Getting one from Apple now. Thanks for the help lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mr. Walker

I have an Iphone 3g on 3.1.3. It's jailbroken and unlocked using untrasnow. It was originally locked to a french network (not sure which). If I update to ios 4.0.1 will I need a french sim to activate it or can I jailbreak it from my computer using redsn0w or another jailbreaker and unlock it again using ultrasn0w from cydia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

I've got a 3gs factory unlocked running 4.0.2 . Any chance of jailbreaking it .? . ......................yet?

LakesKeane wrote: »
    I've got a 3gs factory unlocked running 4.0.2 . Any chance of jailbreaking it .? . ......................yet?

No. Why did you bother updating from 4.0.1?

No. Why did you bother updating from 4.0.1?

;)
    Bought it running 4.0.2.

LakesKeane wrote: »
    ;)
    Bought it running 4.0.2.

ah, I didn't even know they sold them running 4.0.2!

ah, I didn't even know they sold them running 4.0.2!

Bought it second hand and they had it upgraded for me :rolleyes: . Guess i'll have to wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I have jailbroken my iPhone 3GS, new-ish model (about 2 months old) using jailbreakme.com

Im selling it soon and I chose the option to erase all content and settings. Naturally, thought it would delete everything but it just froze on the start up screen for about half an hour.

I put the phone into DFU mode and plugged it into iTunes and did a recovery.

Now however, I'm on 4.0.2 and I'm selling my phone this week over ebay, the sale has already gone though.

I need to at least downgrade to 4.0.1 and then re-jailbreak as the buyer only wants the phone jailbroken and unlocked with ultrasnow.

Any help is massively appreciated!

Advertisement