Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Love the GP, that was good value, and the gold works well on your wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Cyrus wrote: »
    bargain ...........
    Zagato wrote: »
    Love the GP, that was good value, and the gold works well on your wrist.

£5,600 all in; no box or papers (and an ill fitting strap) but some provenance from auction house so I think a good deal compared to maybe £10k or so from a dealer. I'm a keeper so the papers mean less t me than a physical inspection. It'll probably go for a full service which will be costly but so far it seems to be keeping very good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Marcusm wrote: »
    I really should not have tried to do this in iOS; here's the JLC.

Stunning watches, and a great deal. Well Done

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Never posted here before. Nothing special, my wedding pressie from the missus

After some discussion and pointers, I got a new Leather NATO for my Helvetia

I got a 20mm instead of the previous 22mm one and seems not to clog the watch. It was hand made and a great deal for €30

I thinks this is a nice combo

IMG_0907_zpsd3915aec.jpg

• Advertisement

After some discussion and pointers, I got a new Leather NATO for my Helvetia

I got a 20mm instead of the previous 22mm one and seems not to clog the watch. It was hand made and a great deal for €30

I thinks this is a nice combo

Like that, where'd you get it?

Zagato wrote: »
    Like that, where'd you get it?

This bloke...

this ebay bloke

PS...Can any one tell me how to embed a url into a word ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Like this:

[noparse]this bloke[/noparse]

This bloke...

Thanks,

First copy the link to your clipboard, then highlight the word in your post and click the button with the 'earth and the chain link' image and paste the link into the box that pops up.

You can embed a URL into a photo too, you just highlight the image url and then click that button

Eoin wrote: »
    Like this:

[noparse]this bloke[/noparse]

cool...thanks i used to do it with Href...long time ago

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This bloke...

this ebay bloke
    Yep yer man makes some nice straps and for really reasonable prices with it. Well worth supporting IMH.

I agree with you going down to 20mm. As you say the 22 overpowers and crowds in on the lugs too much. I found similar with my Zenith version.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And now for something completely different...

2rxjtdi.jpg

1920/30's Longines pocket watch made for and issued to the Serbian railway. Stainless steel, 58MM across and a right hefty bugger in the hand. No hairlines, even the bluing on the hands is like new. I love the dial design. Like a miniature station clock. :)

350uhpk.jpg

Caseback with a proper steam choo choo, none of this deisel electric nonsense :) and the monogram of the railway company. Most of these I've see coming up over the years the engraving is very rubbed, this one is nicely crisp. Not a great pic of mine though

14qovp.jpg

21.54 Longines movement. 15 jewel job, Breguet overcoil, ticks like Big Ben, very solid performer with very little wear. The gilding looks like new and the regulator is smack bang in the middle, which is always a good sign. Only loses a couple of seconds a day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Newest purchase...

PGeJDbY.jpg

A Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44 Premium. Only 3 months old, no hairlines, and I got it for a steal on eBay. My first Swiss movement and handwind :D.

My poor-quality pictures can't do it justice; the sandwich dial and blued hands are gorgeous.

And the nicest part of all...

bviX5Oq.jpg

The inhouse decorated Unitas movement; the Steinhart ST1.

And a wrist shot to finish things off...

w3mluKc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

My Rolex Deepsea,going where it's designed to go,inside a saturation diving chamber for 28 days :D

265d1abc-9fd5-4153-8c8d-eab15f5d2b53.jpg

My god Gavkm. :eek: You're a non desk diver wearing a divers watch? Take a picture folks this is a rarity. :D Hell I've a couple of divers watches and I can't even swim. Nice watch there. Looking good in it's natural habitat. Like seeing an Omega Speedy on the moon. :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    My god Gavkm. :eek: You're a non desk diver wearing a divers watch? Take a picture folks this is a rarity. :D Hell I've a couple of divers watches and I can't even swim. Nice watch there. Looking good in it's natural habitat. Like seeing an Omega Speedy on the moon. :)

lol and you know what the irony is,that half the divers of the north sea don't even bother with Helium escape valve watches and go with good old G-shocks:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

gavkm27 wrote: »
    My Rolex Deepsea,going where it's designed to go,inside a saturation diving chamber for 28 days :D

What on earth are you doing in there for 28 days???
    Nice watch btw

What on earth are you doing in there for 28 days???
    Nice watch btw

Thats our living environment,from there we transfer into a diving bell daily to the bottom to work,the chamber complex is housed inside a big ship called a diving support vessel,we are pressurised inside these chambers to simulate the same pressure we work at,typically 150m ,after 3 weeks of working we then decompress for upto 1 week depending on the storage depth,thats when the Helium escape valve comes into it's own,Helium as a gas is much finer than nitrogen so when it's expands it gets stuck in small spaces,a lot of watches blow up on decompression without these valves:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Thats our living environment,from there we transfer into a diving bell daily to the bottom to work,the chamber complex is housed inside a big ship called a diving support vessel,we are pressurised inside these chambers to simulate the same pressure we work at,typically 150m ,after 3 weeks of working we then decompress for upto 1 week depending on the storage depth,thats when the Helium escape valve comes into it's own,Helium as a gas is much finer than nitrogen so when it's expands it gets stuck in small spaces,a lot of watches blow up on decompression without these valves:p

Nice to see the watch is getting used properly, my divers are lucky to see a swimming pool...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,769 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

And the final piece of the jigsaw arrives, another panerai, i just cant seem to get away from them,

A new 183, its loverly, of the 'full' size panerai the 45mm radiomir is by far the most comfortable, much more so than the luminor or 1950s case

photo2_zps80b13b11.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

bought a few Russians on adverts the other day, need to buy a few nato's, where do ye buy yours?

Ebay pretty much D. I've bought a lot of Natos over the years and there can be some variability in quality, but IMH I buy on price and consider them as a somewhat "disposable" item. Indeed some I've bought for a fiver where as nice as others I paid three times that. Where you can get caught out is on thickness and clearance issues with some watches. EG the Hadley Roma Nato is very nicely made, but is thicker than most and can be a struggle to fit to watches with tight lug/strapbar clearance.

cheers, any particular seller you'd recommend?

The cheapest. :D Not a joke TBH. Look for the size and colour(s) you want and set the Bay preferences to list lowest price first. That's what I do anyway.

cheers.

Holey moley...

Some parts arrived today.

311838.JPG

To be continued... ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Wibbs wrote: »
    Some parts arrived today.

To be continued... ;):)

Anyone else tried Googling seiko part numbers or just me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

wasn't it obvious just from the bags ;-)

• Advertisement

Ok... well it ain't a Patek, but it was my first digital watch when I was a kid. Well... not quite, but that's another story...

A Seiko C359 - 5000 made in August 1979. I wore it for most of my early teens as my "daily" and it really showed the wear. The bracelet was completely fubar and I'm keeping an eye out for a replacement. The case and watch looked like it had been dug out of a tank track and the internals seemed dead. :( So I thought feck it I'll try and restore it. first things first is take it apart. Numero uno always stick parts in a cigar tin. If you don't smoke and you shouldn't, find someone who does and nick one. :D

2j662bm.jpg

It was the devil to get apart and was internally encrusted with residue that I'd not like to analyse... The above pic was after the degunging and basic polishing. The movement is strippable funny enough. It's not a sealed unit. So out with screwdrivers, plastic tweezers and alcohol to get rid of the gunge.

Next up was polishing the case. It being a Seiko it was stainless steel not plastic like Casios etc of the time. Polishing a case is a hard one anyway as it's too easy to remove the sharp edges. This was worse as the edges weren't sharp from the factory. Thus followed a fair while with various fine grades of sandpaper. I only went mechanical with a dremel for the buffing.

30ua446.jpg

Not a great shot, but trust me there was a helluva difference from before.

Some parts of the case had a brushed finish and all of it was worn down. The top and bottom of the case at the lugs and the high part of the caseback. So time to break out 800 grit sandpaper and a straight edge... Can't really see the result from the above case, but the case back shows it better.

3506sgm.jpg

That was nigh on polished away before. Three passes of the sandpaper and that was the result. Practice this on spare steel first. There's a bit of a knack to it and you also find stainless steel isn't always the same.

Next it was stick it all back together, with new seals, gaskets and greased pushers and a new glass. That last part was cheek clenching. Very tight interference fit and I have no crystal press thingie. So I improvised with one of those upright orange juicer things and two blocks of wood. Heath Robinson, but it worked.

End result
    2m4r76q.jpg

All now working(inc the light) and looking a lot fresher after 35 years :) Smart watches? Well ahead of ye. :D Now to find the right bracelet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement