Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have the original lizard strap for it, which is nice(if too big for me like 90% of straps).

That's lovely but I'm not sure that the NATO does it justice (though the blue is a good choice). Surely you can find a shorter lizard and then just swap the buckles round? As a matter of interest what size are the lugs?

L1000123.jpg

I appear to be on fire at the moment. Picked up in a junk shop in Bologna for, wait for it...

€10. Couldn't get out of the shop quick enough even though the shop owner wanted to root through his collection of batteries so that he could find the right one. I'm obviously not actually wearing it - it goes between not working and gaining 10 minutes every 30 (and, yes, I realise that I shouldn't have wound it). Some of the scratches on the back look rather fresh so I suspect that the shop probably made an attempt at opening it but gave up. Fixed bars still intact and all of the numbers on the back add up to the magic 5000 and include the P that is correct for Cyma. I feel that there's no doubting my WIS credentials given that I had a copy of the Adrian van der Meijden WWW articles cached in Dropbox on my phone and accessible within a couple of minutes.
    L1000118.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's lovely but I'm not sure that the NATO does it justice (though the blue is a good choice). Surely you can find a shorter lizard and then just swap the buckles round? As a matter of interest what size are the lugs?
    The lugs on this type are 18mm(going down to 14mm buckle). Actually AFAIR CB any of the GP's 35x's I've had/seen were 18mm at the lugs. That balances with this design that curves to the lugs, but with the other shapes 18mm is a bit narrow. Your Revue being 22mm makes it a lot more "modern" looking IMHO.

I know what you mean about the nato, though it looks better in the flesh. Less dressy, more spacey. I actually have a short(110mm/70mm) leather in 18mm but it's still uncomfortable and the watch head sits arseways on the wrist(falls off towards the little finger side of my wrist if you know what I mean). It's not just small, I've just got a really awkward gammy wrist shape. I reckon I'd need a custom strap, though in what length I don't know. The original G strap was for a giant of a man going by the length.
    I appear to be on fire at the moment.
    Ohhh that is a nice one.
    Picked up in a junk shop in Bologna for, wait for it...
    No way.
    €10.
    Banned. For life. :D
    Couldn't get out of the shop quick enough even though the shop owner wanted to root through his collection of batteries so that he could find the right one. I'm obviously not actually wearing it - it goes between not working and gaining 10 minutes every 30 (and, yes, I realise that I shouldn't have wound it). Some of the scratches on the back look rather fresh so I suspect that the shop probably made an attempt at opening it but gave up. Fixed bars still intact and all of the numbers on the back add up to the magic 5000 and include the P that is correct for Cyma. I feel that there's no doubting my WIS credentials given that I had a copy of the Adrian van der Meijden WWW articles cached in Dropbox on my phone and accessible within a couple of minutes.
    No doubting them at all. Really nice catch. :) Given the location god knows the history behind that dial.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thanks CB. I've just read a little about those watches. Amazing history and a great find for yourself.
    If that watch could talk just imagine the story it could tell.

With a love of old watches comes a love of history.
    Thanks for sharing. (Now for more research)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Picked up a gold ladies "trench" watch on ebay for €12.
    The gold in the case is probably worth more than that.

308203.jpg

Cosmetic condition is really good, but unfortunately it doesn't run. Half way through tearing it down I found that the balance staff was broken. Don't have the tools to fix that sort of thing :(

308204.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Not a great photo, but a nice NOS Raketa 2906.HA.
    I wanted to get a nice brown strap with white stitching but I settled for a fairly cheap dark brown leather one.

308438.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I had a spare €82 laying around so I bought this. It has a japanese movement and nice red stitching in the leather strap. I think it's a lovely looking watch with an unusual disc chronograph. I'm very pleased with it aestethicaly and it' keeping good time so far.
    [IMG][/img]IMG_20140527_144946.jpg
    [IMG][/img]IMG_20140527_150802.jpg
    [IMG][/img]IMG_20140527_144807.jpg
    [IMG][/img]IMG_20140527_150851.jpg
    Little update: I removed that paper factory sticker at the back to reveal the movement identification marks. Eventually it would peel of anyways.
    [IMG][/img]IMG_20140527_200917.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Though I have another Lip Quartz example this is my new and long wanted addition. :)

308743.JPG

A 1975 Lip Mach 2000 "Moon", designed by Roger Tallon, in anodised aluminium, running Lip's in house quartz the R33 calibre. Pretty rare. Only in production for a year, if that. Not easily found, never mind in working order. This one is the only one I've ever seen that has indices on the inner chrome bezel.

It looks HUGE on my wrist in that shot, but in reality it wears really well. Slightly better shot:
    308745.jpg
    Yep it's on a G10(ye can all feck off :D), but in this case I truly think it works and works well. TBH I actually had the strap in preparation long before I got the watch... :o

Better yet, I lost out on a not so great condition one a few months ago and thought "ah well" I had lusted after this particular watch on a properly fantastic early quartz/electronic/you gotta check out his stuff guru's website for ages. I'm not kidding. I had him saved as an ebay seller from a good way back and what do I see one day? Only the very bloody watch I've lusted after. It had been up for a while(no accounting for taste), so I made the chap an offer(which I thought was a bit cheeky TBH) and the man from the interwebs said YES! :D As it turns out he was a really lovely bloke to deal with which adds to it.

Even if in a month it runs two days slow and leaks battery acid on my wrist and tries to throttle me as I sleep, I'd still be a happy bunny. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Though I have another Lip Quartz example this is my new and long wanted addition. :)

Nice one. I think I had this watch on my watch list as well, is the seller from Poland?
    If yes, I thought of submitting an offer but was afraid of getting ridiculed :mad:

If you ever feel the need to flip it, I call first dibs!

Yep the very man and the very watch on the site. And if I ever feel the need to flip you've got first refusal. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Here's my latest watch that most of you will hate! It's a SevenFriday P2-2.

It has a whopping 47mm case, but as the 28mm strap attaches directly to the case without lugs, it wears a little bit smaller. Photos also make it look a little bigger too.

The build quality is very good across the board, and it's surprisingly readable. The exposed balance wheel and rotating seconds dial are a nice touch.

The crown (not screw-down unfortunately) doesn't stick out that much, so it doesn't dig into my hand and it's quite comfortable to wear. The strap is leather but has a slight rubber look and feel to it.

Build quality and innovation/originality aside, it's hard not to feel like it looks like a fashion watch you'd pick up in a clothes shop.

14110676128_8a7f4dc295_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I was thinking about that very watch this morning! If I was to buy one it would be that colour combo, but I think I would need a 78 trans am in black with gold decals (the smokey and the bandit car)to set it off properly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I was thinking about that very watch this morning! If I was to buy one it would be that colour combo, but I think I would need a 78 trans am in black with gold decals (the smokey and the bandit car)to set it off properly:D

If you're in Dublin you're welcome to try it on. The watch that is, can't help with the car. You can print off a lifesize cut out of their watches on their site which might help you get an idea of how it'll wear on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Don't think it would be me but fair play for trying something different

Seven Worlds will Collide

Yep it's on a G10

That's absolutely excellent and the strap is a really, really good match. I'm glad I'm not the only one who buys straps, bracelets and buckles in the expectation that some future use will come up, some day.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who buys straps, bracelets and buckles in the expectation that some future use will come up, some day.
    Well we'll be in adjoining rubber rooms anyway. :DI actually have the same design only in red and black in the event I could only source one of the 80's reissues and in black and white in case the 70's electronic one came up. :o:o

It's a very light watch with its aluminium case. Swatch light, even though it's big. Not nearly as well built feeling as an earlier Lip Nautic for example and no way would you mistake it for a GP. I've held the chrono version and it was heavier, steel case IIRC, but again didn't feel like an expensive watch, though all the pressings and joints are very tight. The original rubber straps and metal bracelets were rubbish too. If I was to compare it to a non watch ethos I'd describe it as an IKEA watch. It's designed, works and works well, but it ain't Chippendale.

When it was being made there were interesting times on the labour relations front. Very 1970's and French. It represents both Lip's brave move in hiring outside designers and the financial knife edge they were on at the time. The fact they could come up with an inhouse quartz at that stage is very impressive too. The reissues and the current brand new examples are definitely more substantial. Though to be fair when the original quartz (and electric)models of the time do show up, as rare as that may be, they're nearly always runners which says a lot. Time keeping is pretty good. Loses two seconds a day and no doubt work with the trimmer would fettle that. The hack function is haphazard and vague though.

By god does it get noticed by civilians. I've never had a watch come close on that score. It's been commented on half a dozen times already.

I'm soooo glad I got it :).

PS I'm thinking one of those cork straps like yours made to measure would look damn good on my GP.

Better pic of the LIP after I dug out my tripod and took my time. :o
    9zng3l.jpg
    Better view of the dial and indices on the chrome bezel bit(which so far from my long searches are unique on all the versions, electrique, mechanical or quartz of this model). You can see the day wheel doesn't quite line up(neither does the indices) and the printing on both day and date isn't "luxury". Like I said IKEA watch. :) TBH I still love it because of these details and the history it represents.

Got a better pic of my GP too. The diff in qualitaaay to the eye and hand is very evident. It's got more quality heft than my Omega Quartz of the era too. Though at the time the price gulf between the LIP and the GP(or Omega) was wide.
    2rdxbg1.jpg
    I had noticed regular patches of condensation concentrated above the GP logo and the tritium markers under the crystal if off my wrist for a few days. :eek: I've had this before with trit. Depending on the bonding agent it can be very hygroscopic. Attracts moisture like salt. It's why with some colour dial finishes you get degradation around the tritium markers, like the blue of this dial. So caseback off, stuck in a bag of that moisture gel stuff and left in the hot press for a few days. Didn't solve it. So next step was strip the whole thing down into the main component parts and dry them out that way. Info on the interwebs is scant enough for this movement, especially around the stem removal procedure. I have read the keyless works in these can be tricky, but in the end found it easy enough. The trick I found was to hold the crown in while undoing the release screw as otherwise it pops the crown into its different positions as you loosen it. Stupidly didn't take pics of the procedure. Still, after it was all done and I had a stiff drink, before, during and after it worked. Clear crystal, no condensation, now dry as a witches tit as they say. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi

Got my Helvetia back from Mr Swift.

He fixed the broken Minute Hand, replaced the seconds sub dial hand and relumed the Hour and Minute hand and did a service.....

All for £57.......Amazing

I have it on a Brown German Leather Flieger strap, but its a bit thick and I am not sure about it.

I was thinking of a NATO, maybe olive green? any suggestions

IMG_0890_zpsaeffd71d.jpg

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

Hi

Got my Helvetia back from Mr Swift.

He fixed the broken Minute Hand, replaced the seconds sub dial hand and relumed the Hour and Minute hand and did a service.....

All for £57.......Amazing

I have it on a Brown German Leather Flieger strap, but its a bit thick and I am not sure about it.

I was thinking of a NATO, maybe olive green? any suggestions

Looks lovely. Strap looks nice from this angle too imho.

Wow DT. Just wow. :eek: Your watch looks bloody fantastic. I know it's me and NATOs but they do look good on those type of watches. A leather one works really well. This 'Bay dude does some very nice full custom jobs for around 30 quid.

As for Mr Swift, he is a true gentleman, a real expert, craftsman and unbelievably reasonable with it. He couldn't have a better recommendation than your watch. I dunno how he does it TBH, but we should be all glad a guy like him is around.

• Advertisement

Boccia Bund arrived after a WTB on TZ-UK and while I was initially disappointed by the dial and the lack of luminescence on the hands (well I was comparing to my Speedy) I have now grown rather attached to it. It's just so comfortable to wear, the size is perfect, it's quartz accurate (6 seconds in 8 days) and I know that I can just replace the movement with an other Miyota if anything ever goes wrong.

It came on a Eulit Bund but I felt it made the watch too high. Doesn't work very well on Nato because the (drilled) lugs are recessed but I think it looks great on an old Hirsch Liberty. I also have a Maratac composite on order from ebay.

Initially this was meant to be a weekend watch, but I like it so much that I'll probably end up wearing it much more often than that.

bund-boards9.jpg

bund-boards8.jpg

bund-boards7.jpg

bund-boards6.jpg

bund-boards5.jpg

bund-boards4.jpg

bund-boards3.jpg

bund-boards2.jpg

bund-boards1.jpg

Nice catch sir. :) +1 on Hirsch strap M. I think it looks much better than on the BUND strap. I find the BUND strap awkward myself. I've tried them on a couple of watches, but like you say the watch sits too high. I think it depends on your wrist and I have a weird one so figured it was just me. A more beefy bloke could work the BUND strap well I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Bund strap was never designed/chosen to be stylish and/or comfortable ...but to keep stinky soldier's sweat away from expensive issued equipment ...so that the next poor sod could wear it as well :D

(the watch that is ...you could keep the smelly strap)

peasant wrote: »
    The Bund strap was never designed/chosen to be stylish and/or comfortable ...but to keep stinky soldier's sweat away from expensive issued equipment ...so that the next poor sod could wear it as well :D

(the watch that is ...you could keep the smelly strap)

It looks to me like the Bund strap would also keep a watch from flying away in the case of a springbar malfunction - just like with a Nato strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Having highlighted the Bonhams auction on the "Looking for inspiration" thread, I guess I should post pictures of what I bought. They won't be to everyone's taste - they are both a bit of a departure for me. I have no other precious metal watches and I would not have thought I would wear rose gold. Plus the complications do make the dials a bit busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i can only see the GP but me likey

I really should not have tried to do this in iOS; here's the JLC.

:eek: Very nice M. I love the GP in particular. Well wear. *Edit* Just spotted the JC has an alarm as well. GTFO! How feckin cool is that. The design is growing on me too. It's not traditional, but it kinda is all at the same time.

Cyrus wrote: »
    i can only see the GP but me likey

You should have used it for inspiration; including buyer's premium etc, I got it for less than what you were looking to spend.
    :eek: Very nice M. I love the GP in particular. Well wear.

Thanks for the good wishes; given the auction was 2-4:30, I think I must be happy to have collected, brought them home and photo'd them by 5:30. They'll be in Dublin by lunchtime tomorrow (or at least the GP). I think I'll use it to time my drive to Holyhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Marcusm wrote: »
    You should have used it for inspiration; including buyer's premium etc, I got it for less than what you were looking to spend.

bargain ...........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement