Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Very nice. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Wasn't really interested in watches (but had a few glances at this forum over the last few years, when I wasn't a member also). I was looking into getting a Vostok Amphibia/Komandirskie when my dad showed me some of his collection, which he knows very little about.

Sorry for the crappy pictures........ and really long post.

Here's my own Sekonda (no idea of value) that I got for my communion.
    6065118925_8fa423472b_b.jpg

Then there's my dad's "Swisspulse", that he got for his 50th, which has never been worn. None of the links have been removed and there's plastic wrapping on the back of the watch.

6065121985_2306446073_b.jpg

Then there's dad's old 1970's (he says anyway) Seiko.

6065673726_7782e275b2_b.jpg

Here's a watch given to my dad by Shannon Aerospace, a swiss company :rolleyes:
    6065704568_aaa5481008_b.jpg

Now it getts a little more interesting, one is a Hamilton Watch Co pocket watch and the other is from 1887.

I'll start with the Hamilton. My dad said he payed £70 30 years ago to get it fixed, and it's still going!

6065678954_e2a38d3f8d_b.jpg
    6065127457_25472c2552_b.jpg

On the back:
    "AN5740
    MFR's PART NO.4992 B
    SERIAL NO.AF 42- 40422
    CONTRACT NO.
    W535 ac 28072
    HAMILTON WATCH CO."

Okay, next is the 14k gold watch from 1887.

6065682440_ac4bc95f86_b.jpg
    6065137271_bd96033b35_b.jpg
    6065139379_9970fbc8a8_b.jpg

This part is pretty cool I think, since my name has been passed down since at least this time. Me, my dad, his dad, and his dad at least were all called Daniel James Stapleton on their birth certificates, but alternating Daniel with Donal to tell each other apart. I'm Daniel, dad's Donal, and his dad was Daniel for example. Anyway, here's what's written on it:
    "Presented By
    James Cahill
    to
    his beloved grandson
    D.J.Stapleton
    1887"

6065142377_fbd62b5f96_b.jpg
    6065696752_cbf1a8a0b4_b.jpg
    6065150813_f06b0b7c95_b.jpg
    6065701740_fc64cc412b_b.jpg

There they are! I don't know if any of them are worth anything, but I think they're pretty cool anyway. Got to go get me that Vostok now :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The Hamilton pocket watch is a niiiice one. True military issued piece for navigators in WW2 and shortly after(the markings on the back Mil procurement details). True 24 hour movement/dial. The GCT part on the dial stands for Greenwich Civil Time. Very high quality movement. You'll notice that when you pull out the crown to set the time the second hand stops to better set the watch to a master clock. Serious piece of kit. the Hamilton being a rare one to see on this side of the world. Can be made very accurate. Not surprised its still running. :) Hang on to that one. It's the most objectively interesting(and valuable) of your collection, with your family pocket watch coming close behind. The latter being another American watch,

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    The Hamilton pocket watch is a niiiice one. True military issued piece for navigators in WW2 and shortly after(the markings on the back Mil procurement details). True 24 hour movement/dial. The GCT part on the dial stands for Greenwich Civil Time. Very high quality movement. You'll notice that when you pull out the crown to set the time the second hand stops to better set the watch to a master clock. Serious piece of kit. the Hamilton being a rare one to see on this side of the world. Can be made very accurate. Not surprised its still running. :) Hang on to that one. It's the most objectively interesting(and valuable) of your collection, with your family pocket watch coming close behind. The latter being another American watch,

Supposedly my granddad had it during the civil war? Is it definatly WWII?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Now I know nothing whatsoever about pocket watches, but I would hazard a guess and say that you're looking at a fair bit of value with those two.

Mr. Cahill must have been in funds to make such a gift ...a 14k gold watch with engraved movement and all ...that must have cost a few guineas when new.

And a 24h pocket watch with a presumably military history? No idea what the market is for those ...just don't sell it for 20 quid to buy the Vostok :D

EDIT ..bah ...beaten to the post by Wibbs ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Supposedly my granddad had it during the civil war? Is it definatly WWII?
    Yep, or at least it can't be older than 1941. Very unlikely it's Irish Civil war. 20 years too late. Heres a history of Hamilton in WW2 http://www.jckonline.com/article/287225-How_Hamilton_Watch_Co_Won_World_War_II.php If you can unscrew the back you can tell to the year its date of manufacture.

Here's a page with the production dates(and numbers). Yours is a 4992b and you'll see it's from 1941 to as late as 1969.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Never ventured in here before but this is great thread!

Nothing Special,

tissot-t-touch.jpg

Dad managed to open the back but there's no date. Just says it's 22 Jewels and the model no again.

It does say 4055490 in there though. Can't see it in the picture. What sort of money is it worth? Won't be selling it, but I'd like to know. I won't tell dad if its worth very little for obvious reasons ;).

Turns out the gold watch is an Elgin National Watch Company, if that means anything to you?

100_0686.jpg

100_0683.jpg

Appears as though it is a 1940, but that could be inaccurate. So Wibbs suggestion of a 1941-1969 could still be on the money. Some of these are going for $1200 on eBay.com :eek: This one isn't going anywhere anytime soon :)

mtb_kng wrote: »
    It does say 4055490 in there though. Can't see it in the picture. / Appears as though it is a 1940, but that could be inaccurate.
    http://oldwatch.com/Hamiltondate.html On this record it's 1941/42. Which is good. Its an early WW2 one.

Turns out the gold watch is an Elgin National Watch Company, if that means anything to you?
    Yep an old and respected American watch company. They made some very nice pocket watches. Few enough outstanding wristwatches by comparison. A good make.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

IMAG0074.jpg

It arrived today. Got stung for near 20notes by customs:mad: But it's still a lovely watch for the money and a nice addition to my meagre collection

• Advertisement

Very nice. Bloody customs are hitting everything now. Wonder how much they will hit my one coming from Peru.

Bedlam, look away :D

The Raketa "big zero" has arrived.

This is another one of these "new old stock" watches, where the "old stock" bit most likely applies to components only, not the assembled watch ...but I don't care ...whoever cleaned the parts bin and cobbled this together did a nice job.

172234.jpg
    172235.jpg

The nicest part of the watch is hidden though ...the movement:
    172236.jpg

Raketa 2609A.1 ...twenty one jewels, screwed balance wheel and triple shock protection

PS: ...customs didn't want to know

That looks like a wall clock on your wrist.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    That looks like a wall clock on your wrist.

YEPP :)

(that was the general intention :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It arrived today. Got stung for near 20notes by customs:mad: But it's still a lovely watch for the money and a nice addition to my meagre collection

Nice - is that the sottomarino pilots watch? It's much bigger than I imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Eoin wrote: »
    Nice - is that the sottomarino pilots watch? It's much bigger than I imagined.

It is the pilots watch alright.
    It's definately a big watch, a damn site bigger than any I have had before but after a bit of wear it feels alright on the wrist.
    The only slight gripe I could have is the crown is a biggie and tends to stick into the back of my hand at times but it's a wee sacrifice to make for wearing a cool piece of machinery :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It looks really great. I was hoping to get one as a smart watch, but now I look at it, it's not what I imagined. So I'll just have to get one for other occasions, and a smart style watch as well. Damn you peasant, I'm hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Got this today

7C7ABEDB24E64C7CBCDE2C081FC7E535-0000324846-0002511035-00640L-9E33276428E24DA697BCDC642E2D47C4.jpg

7CE1F4B89D9C4F9C9E2B328BD53AEE22-0000324846-0002511038-00800L-9A5A445317524D68ACB1E8702E0B98A3.jpg

Looks interesting. Explain! LOL

The blue things are the hands aren't they? And the circles are the hours yea? Cool watch though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,033 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Yes blue hands. The small screws around the edge are the hour markers. Automatic with the rotor having lots of little fake diamonds on it :o (not too visable thankfully)

Bought off ebay, wanted something a bit different, also available in gold, bronze and black
    More info here

This one arrived all the way from Lima, Peru. Like the design.
    b7453e38.jpg

This Tag just arrived today, but unfortunately I've immediate buyer's remorse. It's just a little too small for my wrist at 38mm (plus the strap needs an extra link), so I might just see if I can move it on or swap it on adverts.

$(KGrHqV,!jUE4oIs406fBOTkC7HvCQ~~48_3.JPG

Sorry to read that Eoin. Did the buyer supply all the links?

Not sure if he did or not, it's a few years old. I tend to need extra links even on brand new watches though.

I don't even mind getting another link (or even a different bracelet) , but 38mm is just that little too small for me - that extra 2mm on a 40mm watch seems to make all the difference.

It's not a huge deal; I'll hold on to it and wear it, it's just not what I was hoping for. The Tissot PRC200 I got recently (for just a little less) feels a hell of a lot nicer, and looks much smarter on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Got this today

looks like something missing....its working isn't it ?? ;)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

This Tag just arrived today, but unfortunately I've immediate buyer's remorse. It's just a little too small for my wrist at 38mm (plus the strap needs an extra link), so I might just see if I can move it on or swap it on adverts.

$(KGrHqV,!jUE4oIs406fBOTkC7HvCQ~~48_3.JPG

What did it set you back

Carpenter wrote: »
    What did it set you back

just over 380 delivered. Impulse purchase!

Not a bad price for a Chrono. I assume it's a quartz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

just over 380 delivered. Impulse purchase![/QUOT

If you put 400 with it I will give you a tag indi 500

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement