Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Looks like they're getting rid of some of the computing degrees :(

EDIT: To be clear some are being merged into a new Information Technologies degree. Which I'm not too happy about as it all sounds a bit fluffy. I was hoping to get a Computing and Statistics degree. It's clear this degree will need changing as they're getting rid of M150 (which I'm doing) and merging it with another course not on the syllabus for that degree to make a 60 point course (seems to pointless).

I suppose it's all about saving money these days though.
    Replacement of M150 and T175 by one 60 point module TU100 from 2011J
    Replacement of M255 and M257 by one 30 point module M250 from 2012J
    Replacement of M450 and T455 by one 30 point module TM470 from 2012B
    Replacement of M226 by two 30-point modules, T121 and T226 from 2010K

Withdrawal of C47 Certificate in IT and Computing from 2012
    Withdrawal of C50 Certificate in Computing and Maths from 2013

They recently got rid of the certificate in web applications, too.

On the other hand, they've launched a small 10 week course called T155 Linux: An Introduction which looks like a bit of fun. Won't count towards anything. Might give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

Being an OU Student, can I get any Student Discount cards that can be used in the Rep of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

FinoBlad wrote: »
    Being an OU Student, can I get any Student Discount cards that can be used in the Rep of Ireland?

Yes you can apply for one at:

http://www.nus.org.uk/NUS-Extra

You'll need to send them a photo over the internet (there's a section where you can attach a photo) and you'll need a credit card. I think it's around 13 pounds (around 15 or 16 in Euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

Any one out there undertaking this course?
    Postgraduate Diploma in Management of Software Projects

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/qualification/e19.htm

Im hoping to start in May. And just would like to hear from others on their experience of the modules.

Thanks in advance. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 nobber10

IT Seems that the science degrees will also be all merged into one broad science degree in the not too distant future. The talk is that the merger will take effect from 2014?

QUOTE=aphex™;64503462]Looks like they're getting rid of some of the computing degrees :(

EDIT: To be clear some are being merged into a new Information Technologies degree. Which I'm not too happy about as it all sounds a bit fluffy. I was hoping to get a Computing and Statistics degree. It's clear this degree will need changing as they're getting rid of M150 (which I'm doing) and merging it with another course not on the syllabus for that degree to make a 60 point course (seems to pointless).

I suppose it's all about saving money these days though.

They recently got rid of the certificate in web applications, too.

On the other hand, they've launched a small 10 week course called T155 Linux: An Introduction which looks like a bit of fun. Won't count towards anything. Might give it a go.[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

nobber10 wrote: »
    IT Seems that the science degrees will also be all merged into one broad science degree in the not too distant future. The talk is that the merger will take effect from 2014?
    Not sure about that, the new IT one is BSc (Hons) Information Technologies. There are some IT degrees more geared towards business with similar names available in Ireland. Some of them aren't very technical.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Does anyone know about getting previous qualifications recognised by the OU?
    I have a year of Biology done in college here, couldn't keep it on til the end of my degree due to subject retrictions. I'm just wondering if I could bypass a few Level 1s as I have the course already done.

Also, anyone know anything about studying Science at the OU?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Can you be more specific? "Anything about studying science" is a bit broad.

You should read http://www3.open.ac.uk/credit-transfer/academic/index.shtm. You can also contact the Credit Transfer team. OU staff are pretty good about answering any questions you have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Can you be more specific? "Anything about studying science" is a bit broad.

Pardon me, I guess it is a little broad. Just things like how is it to study a science subject online? I know with a language type degree you'd have books to read and essays to write. How is the Science done? Are there online tests every now and then. How are the residential courses one must go to for the lab work. Did people find their course.
    I know it was a broad question but even a broad answer would be fine. If someone asked me about my undergrad I could give a fairly good general answer (Media and Irish if anyone's wondering) .

And thanks for the link, think it's answered all my queries on the credit transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 rockybird

Hey does anyone know anything about the BA Hons Early Years? I have been looking into it and having trouble finding anyone who is in the process of doing this degree or has it completed.
    I would be hoping to complete it in 3 years and just want to know what the work load is like as i will be working full time along with this?
    As its gonna cost quite a bit i just want to be sure its the right degree for me so any info or advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 AB1980!

Hi

I have sent off for my transcripts to apply for credit transfer so will have the answer to this question in due course but I thought maybe one of you could give me an idea quicker.

I've a joint honours BA from an irish university in maths and another subject. I want to get a BA just in Maths(glutten for punishment!). any idea what kind of credits I would get for that?

It's more for myself than for career prospects so if the exemptions aren't great i may not bother.

Has anyone here gotten credit transfer from a joint honours program to a single subject?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

rockybird wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know anything about the BA Hons Early Years? I have been looking into it and having trouble finding anyone who is in the process of doing this degree or has it completed.
    I would be hoping to complete it in 3 years and just want to know what the work load is like as i will be working full time along with this?
    As its gonna cost quite a bit i just want to be sure its the right degree for me so any info or advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

I'm currently doing two sixty point courses (a full years study in terms of a 3 years degree) for the BA in Business Studies. I'm doing one level 2 and one level 3 course, and it's tough, I work full time about 50 hours a week, then at least four nights a week I come home and study for 4-5 hours, and at the weekend I spend another min. of 8 hours studying, if not more. My courses both have a lot of reading so a lot of that time spent reading and taking notes.

When assignments are due, then the week before I do more. Three of my fellow students are all doing this and all agree it's worth it.

However, if you can cope with the workload, and choose your courses judiciously, then you can potentially do a three year degree in less time. I'm finishing my current two courses in Sept/Oct, and then hoping to start another two sixty pointers that will finish in June 2011, and will then have a business studies degree, it is very very hard work, but with the one years worth of credit I have from previous study that means it will take me 17 months to finish two years of a degree.

I've spoken to OU advisers about it, and they do allow that sort of course cramming depending on the schedule, their year runs Oct. - Sept, which is how I am doing it and getting around the max. 120 points a year rule. Now I have no children, no time consuming hobbies etc, so can devote the time to it, but if you don't have the time, then don't expect to achieve the degree in a 3 year timeframe.

Best of luck.
    AB1980! wrote: »
    Hi

I have sent off for my transcripts to apply for credit transfer so will have the answer to this question in due course but I thought maybe one of you could give me an idea quicker.

I've a joint honours BA from an irish university in maths and another subject. I want to get a BA just in Maths(glutten for punishment!). any idea what kind of credits I would get for that?

It's more for myself than for career prospects so if the exemptions aren't great i may not bother.

Has anyone here gotten credit transfer from a joint honours program to a single subject?

I don't believe credits apply if they have been used for a former OU degree, but in your case they may apply the maths portion of your current degree towards an OU degree in Maths.

From my experience, I'd expect that you could expect about 40% credit from your Maths degree that you currently have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭ronaldoshaky

dory wrote: »
    Pardon me, I guess it is a little broad. Just things like how is it to study a science subject online? I know with a language type degree you'd have books to read and essays to write. How is the Science done? Are there online tests every now and then. How are the residential courses one must go to for the lab work. Did people find their course.
    I know it was a broad question but even a broad answer would be fine. If someone asked me about my undergrad I could give a fairly good general answer (Media and Irish if anyone's wondering) .

And thanks for the link, think it's answered all my queries on the credit transfer.

I do Physics. You will have tutor marked assignments (TMAs) and interactive computer marked assignments (iCMAs) to complete. These are quite intensive for a 60 point course, and still a lot of work for a 30 point course.

Residential schools take about a week and are full-time hours 9am to 9pm every day. That's not all lab work (its compulsory to attend the labs, but not the evening classes), the evening time is usually devoted to lectures, but if you are comfortable with the lecture material in the course books, you can skip these and go off and explore the local area.

The O.U. has an Institute of Physics accredited degree, so its well worth it but in your final year the subjects are really limited (Electromagnetism and Quantum Physics), compared with a full time university degree like UCD or TCD. But you can add in subjects from other areas like maths and engineering.

All the Best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I do Physics.

How do you find the physics course?

I am looking into starting it soon but would be doing so completely from scratch. Have never studied it at any level but have done some reading in the area over the last year and throughly enjoy it and am fascinated by it!
    I have plenty of third level education behind me just in a completely different area.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bob1981

Hi Everyone
    Anyone do the above course through OU?? I am certainly doing this even if it means having to go to the UK to get a job in the long run. But also do the relevant authorities here recognise this? I have to say i have heard nothing but positive remarks about the OU, especially as compared to some of the distance/part time colleges running out of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Hi there,

I'm on my second last course of this degree with the OU and would definitely recommend it. Pretty tough going at times but very enjoyable too!! And yes the PSI recognise it as well as the BPS so no problems with trying to a Masters here afterward. Any specific questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 leesabunny

Hi Guys,

I was hoping for a bit of advice. i am thinking about transferring my results over to the OU to complete a bachelor of social science. i can get the max number of credits and i was wondering has anyone completed it in one year and is it possible.

second question would you be eligible for masters in any university once hetac level 8 completed !!

Thanks a mill,
    :)

SeaFields wrote: »
    How do you find the physics course?

I am looking into starting it soon but would be doing so completely from scratch. Have never studied it at any level but have done some reading in the area over the last year and throughly enjoy it and am fascinated by it!
    I have plenty of third level education behind me just in a completely different area.

The OU will start you from scratch. If you have done Maths at Leaving Cert, then you can jump straight in with Using Mathematics (MST121) and Exploring Mathematics (MS221). The Physical Word (S207) would be similar to Leaving Cert Physics, but with a few more advanced concepts.

I find the courses to be ok, because I love doing Physics. If your passionate about it, then its half the battle.

leesabunny wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I was hoping for a bit of advice. i am thinking about transferring my results over to the OU to complete a bachelor of social science. i can get the max number of credits and i was wondering has anyone completed it in one year and is it possible.

second question would you be eligible for masters in any university once hetac level 8 completed !!

Thanks a mill,
    :)

You should send your previous study records into the credit transfer office, but I dont think they will award you as much credit as you are hoping for, unless you have two years of social science education at university level already. 120 points (which is equivalent to full time study over 9 months) is a lot of work.

You should be eligible for a masters if your degree is accredited by the Institure of Psychology or whichever body is concerned with social science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Hi,
    Quick question-interested in doing a Masters in Education through the OU.3 modules cost £1800 each.However if you are resident in the north its only £1080.I've a mate living in Newry so could I get all course materials etc sent to his address?It would save me over £2100!!!Or would they refuse seeing as I'm resident here in the Republic?
    Also are OU masters recognised here?

toby2111 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Quick question-interested in doing a Masters in Education through the OU.3 modules cost £1800 each.However if you are resident in the north its only £1080.I've a mate living in Newry so could I get all course materials etc sent to his address?It would save me over £2100!!!Or would they refuse seeing as I'm resident here in the Republic?
    Also are OU masters recognised here?

I'm not sure about your 1st question but I do know OU masters are recognised here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I read that a first requires 85%. Is this an average across all the modules and weighted by the credits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The OU will start you from scratch. If you have done Maths at Leaving Cert, then you can jump straight in with Using Mathematics (MST121) and Exploring Mathematics (MS221). The Physical Word (S207) would be similar to Leaving Cert Physics, but with a few more advanced concepts.

I find the courses to be ok, because I love doing Physics. If your passionate about it, then its half the battle.

Only saw this reply now...thanks for that ronaldoshaky. :D

Does anyone know when someone completes all of the courses necessary for their OU degree, should they get in touch with the OU or will the OU get in touch to say they are now eligible to receive their degree? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

hayser wrote: »
    Does anyone know when someone completes all of the courses necessary for their OU degree, should they get in touch with the OU or will the OU get in touch to say they are now eligible to receive their degree? Thanks in advance.

From the OU FAQs:
    OU wrote:
    When should I expect to receive confirmation of my qualification?

Provided that you have completed the correct courses, and they are all linked to the qualification, you should expect to see either an award offer, or confirmation of the award, to appear on your Qualifications page on StudentHome within 5 working days of your final course result being released.

and if you want to receive your degree at a ceremony:
    OU wrote:
    When and how can I book a ceremony place?

You can be presented at a degree ceremony if you have completed a research degree, a taught Doctorate, a Masters degree, a Bachelors degree, a Foundation Degree, a PGCE or a Diploma of Higher Education.
    Provided that you have completed the correct courses, and they are all linked to the qualification, you should expect to see either an award offer, or confirmation of the award, to appear on StudentHome within five working days of your final course result being released. You will be then be given all the information you need to book a ceremony either online or via telephone. Further information is available at the ceremonies website.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

I'm starting the course Using Mathematics (MST121) in October, and hope to start Exploring Mathematics (MS221) in February 2011. I hope to go on to getting Maths to degree level. I'll be paying for both myself so I was wondering if anyone has information on if there is any tax relief available for both of these courses. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'm starting the course Using Mathematics (MST121) in October, and hope to start Exploring Mathematics (MS221) in February 2011. I hope to go on to getting Maths to degree level. I'll be paying for both myself so I was wondering if anyone has information on if there is any tax relief available for both of these courses. Thanks.

I don't think that you can get tax relief on individual courses, but I believe that you can get tax relief if you show that you're aiming for a degree.
    The Open University is listed with "Bachelor of Science" on the list approved colleges for undergraduate tax relief.

I assume Bachelor of Science is a generality and would entitle you to tax relief. You should be entitled to 20% of fees to a maximum of €1000 per annum. So if your fees are €8,000, you get €1000 back and if your fees are €4000, you get €800.

I think that open university degrees are also eligible for HEA grant, if you haven't applied before (dependent on income limits and other circumstances). Maybe it only applies if you're at the open university full time but you'd need to check that out fast as closing dates are soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I'm currently unemployed for a year. After job seeking, walking the dog, grocery shopping, cooking and running, I still have some free time. I have a leaving cert, but I've never finished a degree. Did a Diploma in Project Management in DBS two years ago and enjoyed it. Most employers are looking for a degree nowadays, so...

I'm been looking at the OU website and this looks interesting in terms of a degree - BSc (Honours) Information and Communication Technologies (B38)

There are eleven IT degrees listed if including the open one. The first two level one modules in about five of them are Data, computing and information (M150) and Networked living: exploring information and communication technologies (T175). Both are 30 point courses and are compulsory for my degree. Once these two are done, I should be able to claim a Certificate in Information Technology and Computing (C47).

There are two optional 30 point level one modules in the degree, of which I'll have to do one. They are Discovering Mathematics (MU123) and Using Mathematics (MST121). After this, I'll be able to claim a Certificate in Computing and Mathematics (C50).

1. I'm thinking that I should be able to manage two 30 point modules at any one time. Does that seem reasonable?
    2. For the C50 cert, it states "You must include at least 20 credits from OU or collaborative scheme modules that have not been counted in any other OU certificate, diploma or first degree you may have been awarded." M150 would have been counted towards the first cert, but either of the two mathematics modules would not have been linked to anything yet, although I do want to use them for the degree. Would I still be able to get the cert or would I have to do the second mathematics module?

One point to add regarding claiming tax relief on fees; the course has to be a minimum of two years in duration. So rather than claiming for modules, you'd have to claim for the degree as a whole maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

I'm starting the course Using Mathematics paying for both myself so I was wondering if anyone has information on if there is any tax relief available for both of these courses. Thanks.

The OU is approved by the Taxman.
    You fill out a one page sheet staple some sort of receipt to it.
    This can be anything that clearly demonstrates that you paid the fees.

A few months later...a nice cheque wll appear or you can nominate a bank account to have your refund paid to.
    Its very simple process.
    Remember, you can only go back 4 years in claiming these fees.

Oh and you can only claim for one college per year.
    e.g. if you are climing for the OU and then decide to do a 4 year diploma with NUI, you will only be allowed a tax-back on one lump not two.

Advertisement