Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open University Questions and Answers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭decies

Any body know whether you can use tesco clubcard towards paying irish OU fee.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Yeah you can use clubcard points in Ireland. If you go to the Tesco.ie site there is all the info you will need there. As far as I remember it is only available for new OU registrations doing undergraduate courses only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Highway

Hi,
    Am planning on starting this course in Feb at Level 2 course Object-oriented programming with Java (M255).

I will be applying for credits from previous education and was advised to start with a compulsory L2 course, as credits are unlikely to be processed before the deadline to apply (16/12/09). I was told they typically take 6 weeks, although posts in this thread contradict this if you can drop the original papers into their Dublin office.

Has anyone already done this course, or intend to start this course in Feb 2010?
    If so, pm me, as it might be helpful to share experiences, etc along the way, or get advice from past students.

Thanks.
    Highway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hazel O

Hi-has anyone done the Open University Psychology Degree?Any information on it??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have you done a search on this forum? The OU's psychology degree has been discussed quite a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hazel O

Sorry,kind of new to this so just getting used to it!thanks I'll do a bit of research!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

I'm due to finish my last course in June and if I pass I'll be eligible for my undergrad degree. I want to go straight into doing my Masters degree in October and I will have the results of my final course from my BA by this stage. Does anyone know (or think) there's any chance the OU would let me begin a 30 points module for my Masters although I wouldn't have my BA parchment til the following April? I don't think they will but I'm going to email them anyway on the off chance and was wondering had anyone ever done anything similar?

If you have the results of your last course, the actual degree results will be pretty much set in stone from there - so I'd imagine you shouldn't have a problem going on to the Masters.

Posession of the parchment isn't the big issues - the results are :)

Thanks BufffyBot.

One last question, has anyone gotten a student card with the OU? I'm thinking of getting one and just wondering has anyone ever had trouble using it in shops for student discounts? I just ask because the OU is still seen as an English college by a lot of people. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

hayser wrote: »
    Thanks BufffyBot.

One last question, has anyone gotten a student card with the OU? I'm thinking of getting one and just wondering has anyone ever had trouble using it in shops for student discounts? I just ask because the OU is still seen as an English college by a lot of people. Thanks in advance.

If you're an OU student you can get a NUS Extra card (including an ISIC stamp) from www.nus.org.uk/NUS-Extra

You don't need to post them any proof you're a student at the OU, as NUS can check to see if you're a registered student.

I've never had the NUS card refused when asking for a student discount in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Thanks Etho. Do they deliver the card to home addresses in Ireland by any chance or would I have to collect it from the local OU office?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

Hey all
    I have a question about fees, in the example given on the site a 360 point psychology degree rounds off to 4.5k
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/explained/expect-to-pay.shtml

Im thinking from looking around that it will cost me two or three times that number being from the rebuplic?

On a different topic, does the distance learner need to travel for exams and such or is all done online?

Thanks

Im thinking from looking around that it will cost me two or three times that number being from the rebuplic?

Fees for UK students are subsidised by the UK Government. Obviously, the same doesn't apply to students based outside the UK, so yes it costs quite a bit more if you aren't UK based.
    On a different topic, does the distance learner need to travel for exams and such or is all done online?

Most stuff is done online/over the phone/by post - but if your course has an exam at the end, you will have to travel to a local exam centre to sit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

hayser wrote: »
    Thanks Etho. Do they deliver the card to home addresses in Ireland by any chance or would I have to collect it from the local OU office?

They post it to your home address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Wilko121 wrote: »
    Hey all
    I have a question about fees, in the example given on the site a 360 point psychology degree rounds off to 4.5k
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/explained/expect-to-pay.shtml

Thanks

You can get a tax credit from the revenue to help with the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nobber10

Hi
    I am considering doing the OU BA in Business studies with Economics (Hons). Does this degree qualify me to teach leaving cert business and economics. I am aware that I will also need the higher diploma in education or equilavent teaching qualifiction.

Regards

Nobber 10

It should do once you get accepted to and graduate from a H.Dip course :)

Is there some specific issue that makes you think it won't be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Check on the list of recognized degrees here

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/home/default.asp?NCID=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

You'll probably have to send the course/module descriptors into the teaching council so they can assess it to see whether or not its acceptable. Maybe though you should consider a course other than business? over the last few years there is a surplus of business teachers and as such they had to limit business tachers to 10% of the Dip entry. If you did get in it'd be tough then to find a job in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nobber10

Agent J wrote: »
    Check on the list of recognized degrees here

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/home/default.asp?NCID=1

Hi

Checked teaching website OU BA business is on not recognised list. Two OU courses listed, BA/BSc maths and statistics and BSc molecular science.

• Advertisement

As said above, you'll have to get the degree individually assessed, if it hasn't been done by the time you graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Hey everyone.

I currently have a 2.2 BBs honours degree in HR, but i'm looking to boost this up to a 2.1 level if possible. Are there any courses offered by the OU I can do that would help me achieve this. or is this possible at all?

I don't believe they offer any undergraduate HR degrees - so you couldn't "convert" your current one into an OU HR qualification. You could probably count your studies towards an OU business studies degree - but they wouldn't nessecarily accept all of it, or just say "do one course and get your degree). I think the maximum they will award for previous study is 240 points (you need 360 for an honours degree with the OU).

So it is possible, but if you want a specific HR degree, probably not. If you want a more general degree, then yes - but the 2.1 is entirely dependent on the results of the courses you take.

I'd imagine you would get more credit transfer if you studied for a degree in a business related field as it would be more relevant. Take a look at the level 3 courses listed here to see what courses are offered in that field.

If you want a 2.1 in any area, that's very possible - but you'll get less credit for your previous studies if you pursure a BA in Literature for example, meaning you'll have to study more OU courses to get your degree

Thanks Buffybot. Cleared a lot up for me there. If i did transfer my current degree over and get a 2.1 through the OU, is it possible to use that degree to do a hdip in a university here?

Another option that might be worth considering is to do a Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma. To upgrade from a 2.2 to a 2.1 would probably require around 120 points of credit, but a Postgrad Cert would require 60 and a Postgrad Diploma would require 120.
    I am not sure if this would be acceptable for entry to a HDip but it might be worth checking out.

kagni wrote: »
    Another option that might be worth considering is to do a Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma. To upgrade from a 2.2 to a 2.1 would probably require around 120 points of credit, but a Postgrad Cert would require 60 and a Postgrad Diploma would require 120.
    I am not sure if this would be acceptable for entry to a HDip but it might be worth checking out.

I've never heard of these before. That sounds very interesting. Do most colleges offer these?

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. Keep it coming!

Thanks Buffybot. Cleared a lot up for me there. If i did transfer my current degree over and get a 2.1 through the OU, is it possible to use that degree to do a hdip in a university here?

It should be - same as a 2.1 from any UK university should (subject to the rules of the institution you're applying to for the postgraduate qualification).

I've never heard of these before. That sounds very interesting. Do most colleges offer these?

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. Keep it coming!

Many colleges offer postgrad diplomas as part of their masters programs, but entry requirements are usually the same as for the masters (normally 2.1 Hons or higher). The OU offer postgrad certificates which normally make up one third of a Masters or can be taken as an individual qualification on their own, entry requirements are often more flexible than for other colleges.

When you say a HDip I presume you mean teaching, if that's the case there are plenty of courses on offer at the OU that would be suitable. Have a look here...http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/index.htm

You would need to check if the Postgrad Cert would be acceptable for entry into a HDip though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Just saw this on my StudentHome webpage. Had been saving these up with a view to using them next year. Grrrr!

Changes to Tesco Clubcard Rewards Tokens scheme
    The terms and conditions relating to the use of Tesco Clubcard Rewards Tokens for University courses will be changing at the end of May (2010).

From 1st June 2010 Tesco Clubcard Rewards Tokens can only be used for Level 1 courses (not level 2 or 3).

This change was brought about from a review of the scheme, in the light of the current economic situation that all universities are facing.

Until 31st May 2010, you can continue to use Tesco Clubcard Rewards Tokens as full or part payment for any undergraduate level course that is open for registration, which includes courses with October 2010 and February 2011 start dates. Registration must be complete before 1st June 2010.

After that date, Tokens may only be used in registrations for Level One courses.

Advertisement