Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G/HSPA Routers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Have you tried directly connecting with an ethernet cable to the router just to check if its a wireless issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

I find I get much better performance when I disabled wifi altogether on the TP Link.
    I use another old router connected over ethernet to give wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

eirator wrote: »
    Have you tried directly connecting with an ethernet cable to the router just to check if its a wireless issue?

I've my main PC connected to it via an ethernet cable and that's what I'm using to measure the speed. The WiFi is just being used for laptops and phones around the house.

I tried disabling the WiFi radio as long_b suggested just in case the WiFi was interfering in some way but unfortunately there was no difference in speed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

OK I'm an idiot......forget I even asked this question, I've got it sorted.

The problem was nothing to do with the router but with the connection of my external antenna to the CRC9 connector on the dongle :o

I had checked this before but when I was moving things about just there it came loose. I reconnected it and voila speed test of 6.81Mbps.

Thanks for the help guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

hi,
    i am thinking of using tesco mobile for internet (using 25 euro topup every month on pre pay - to get 15gb data) in a remote part of the country - i want to use a router to be able to use multiple devices on wireless at the same time.

cost is a concern as well as reliablility and ease of setup
    whats the best router dongle combination i can get for this

thanks
    ft

• Advertisement

hi,
    i am thinking of using tesco mobile for internet (using 25 euro topup every month on pre pay - to get 15gb data) in a remote part of the country - i want to use a router to be able to use multiple devices on wireless at the same time.

cost is a concern as well as reliablility and ease of setup
    whats the best router dongle combination i can get for this

thanks
    ft

Depends :D Best option is to get the dongle first and get that working then post back what dongle you have and we can check which router should work. The newer v2 version of the TP-Link routers mentioned many times in this thread work with most dongles and if you get an older say 3 yo dongle second hand its almost bound to work with that router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Where can I buy the v2 version of the TP-Link TL-MR3420?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

I bought the version 1 last year and it works fine.:D

Where can I buy the v2 version of the TP-Link TL-MR3420?

Some amazon.co.uk sellers have them just check the txt and the pictures and be prepared to send it back if its not the v2 which is the current model. Its been a while since I read the stories but at one time one seller was showing the picture for the v2 and sending out the v1 boxes but I suspect that was long enough ago for it to be safer now. If you get a v2 you might still need to flash the ROM to the latest version (info on TP-Links website) to get some of the newest dongles to work with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-MR3420-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B003WK62OS/ is what I'd be buying if I needed one - free delivery.

Another thing to check on the description is 3G/4G the older versions were 3G/3.5G.

lighthouse wrote: »
    I bought the version 1 last year and it works fine.:D

Works fine for me too with an older dongle but I couldn't get some of the newer dongles to work with the v1 even with the latest firmware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

eirator wrote: »
    Some amazon.co.uk sellers have them just check the txt and the pictures and be prepared to send it back if its not the v2 which is the current model. Its been a while since I read the stories but at one time one seller was showing the picture for the v2 and sending out the v1 boxes but I suspect that was long enough ago for it to be safer now. If you get a v2 you might still need to flash the ROM to the latest version (info on TP-Links website) to get some of the newest dongles to work with it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-MR3420-300Mbps-Wireless-Router/dp/B003WK62OS/ is what I'd be buying if I needed one - free delivery.

Another thing to check on the description is 3G/4G the older versions were 3G/3.5G.

Cheers I have that sitting in my basket for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

fran426ft wrote: »
    The problem was nothing to do with the router but with the connection of my external antenna to the CRC9 connector on the dongle

Hi, what kind of external antenna & lead/connector/pigtail are you using? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Medceltic

Bought a Router TD-W8968 from Argos to boost my 3G Metero connection.....
    I asked the Meteor tech before to bought it... she said it boost..
    Now is really useless,, l have Wifi in my room for TV and Laptop... but very slow...
    It is much better when the 3G stick is plugged to the laptop.
    any suggestion guys ? please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What wifi does the laptop have and what else is using the wifi?

well.. ordinary WiFi... using the Macbook pro.. wifi,,, collecting it form the Router plus the 3G.
    and dont use the same time TV and laptop.. l new is slow..
    I rang Meteor they said,, we can do anything about it...

I meant what speed is it. I assume Macbook pro has N.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/38628/how-to-see-your-current-wi-fi-connection-speed-in-mac-os-x/
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4204386?start=15&tstart=0

Of course if you are getting interference from other devices, perhaps something like a cooker or perhaps even a neighbours WiFi it would cause a problem. So first I'd see what speeds your getting through the router vs the stick directly. Then change the router setting like channel see if that improves it, and make sure everything else is off. Or simply try it in a different location entirely.

I dont know how to add a screen print in the forum my friend...

Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 16.46.06.png

INFO

Link speed: 144Mbits/s
    Link Statues: Active

Speed test .ie

Download :1,74 Mbps
    Upload : 0.27 Mbps

When I used to plug the Meteor 3G stick direct to the Mac,, it used to give me up to 7.00 Mbps....sometime....

You're not connecting to your WiFi right. Or something else is connecting to it and dragging the speeds down. If you connect to the router with a ethernet cable what speeds do you get.

• Advertisement

Transfer statistics

Sent Packets: 382.826
    Send Errors: 0
    Recv Packets : 463,322 going up over and over and over..
    Recv : 0
    Collisions :0

No without cable.. should l try the cable ?
    let see,

l tried it,, same speed..when l plugged it in LAN1

Or should I try on LAN / WAN4 ???

now it has 2 second delay.. to open ordinary window... it used to be 4/1 of second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Hey Guys,

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thinking of getting the o2 student deal, €10 a month for 15gb.

Will get a HUAWEI E3131 and want to buy a TP-Link TL-MR3420.

Is it pretty much plug and play?

Does the BB stick have to be network unlocked?

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

jenno86 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thinking of getting the o2 student deal, €10 a month for 15gb.

Will get a HUAWEI E3131 and want to buy a TP-Link TL-MR3420.

Is it pretty much plug and play?

Does the BB stick have to be network unlocked?

Thanks in advance!

Dongle (stick) doesn't need to be unlocked. Just check the dongle itself is compatible with the router and when you set it up you'll need to put in the Dial string, APN and any other required detials that you ISP needs for you to connect. Often easier to set it up on a cable connection before you use the wireless connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

jenno86 - I am running a E3131(Meteor) through a TL-MR3420 and after inputting the correct APN etc. it picked up the dongle without any problems and has run hassle free since.

Some people have had issues with this combination with the router not connecting to the dongle. If going with the TL-MR3420 makes sure it is V2 and the firmware is up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

THE ALM wrote: »
    jenno86 - I am running a E3131(Meteor) through a TL-MR3420 and after inputting the correct APN etc. it picked up the dongle without any problems and has run hassle free since.

Some people have had issues with this combination with the router not connecting to the dongle. If going with the TL-MR3420 makes sure it is V2 and the firmware is up to date.

Thanks for the advice man!

What settings do you need? APN etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

jenno86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice man!

What settings do you need? APN etc.

Depends?

I've set them up for most ISP's three is the easiest as there are no usernames or passwords just Dial String and APN, the others also need username and password just check on your ISP's site for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

O2 should be able to provide these with you dongle although I think the APN is open.internet (I stand to be corrected) and the dial no. is *99#

When you have the router connected and have the settings page open you will see on the left hand side a quick setup tab. In here you should be able to choose your location 'Ireland' and select you mobile ISP 'O2' and under advanced settings you can check the APN and dial number.

If you look back at this thread I have a screenshot attached:- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056864625

Advertisement