Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G/HSPA Routers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Hi guys
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the help - got the TC Link router and works like a charm. Really appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

I bought a tp-link wr703n from China and after much frustration with trying to get my o2 broadband modem to work by battling with the Chinese language firmware, I decided to install open-wrt instead.

Thing is I'm equally confused by how I'm meant to configure open-wrt for 3g routing on this device:confused: When I go to the router homepage I can't find anywhere to enter my routers APN and access number. Is there something else I need to install with the open-wrt to get it to work with my 3g router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

How to set the time on an Edimax 6200n 3G router.

Sound like a really easy thing to do doesn't it? All you can do is set up a time server and that rarely if ever seems to work. There is no where to set the current time. Thats no big deal but a restart resets the time to 00:00:00 and you can't use the schedule for turning the wireless on and off if the time isn't set correctly :(

Anyway heres the answer :)

then in the System Command box type

date +%T -s "10:11:12"

Where,
    10: Hour (hh)
    11: Minute (mm)
    12: Second (ss)

and then apply.

Set time info from http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-set-date-time-from-linux-command-prompt/ .

And if you want to do a reboot of the router without loads of clicks on an annoying system then
    http://192.168.2.1/goform/formReboot

does it in one hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I have the new Huawei router with 3 but I can't get the wireless to work with it. I have the router upstairs and my laptop downstairs and it wont pick up the connection, when I move the laptop right next to the router it picks up the wireless connection but the strength is only 3 bars, when i try to connect it wont connect. I have tried the same with my ps3 and that wont connect either. The wired connection is working away alright. I'm back using the old Huawei B260a now and that is working away grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,457 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Hey guys, not sure if I'm posting in right place but I got a tp link 3g router for a vodafone dongle. I got it working but now I'm just wondering If it needs to stay plugged in to the laptop in order to work or do they work independently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The router powers the dongle and that's all really you can leave it all hooked up together

-=al=- wrote: »
    The router powers the dongle and that's all really you can leave it all hooked up together

Yep, I set one up for a mate and the router and dongle are plugged in up in the roof. He connects wirelessly to the router but because the router takes power from an extension lead plugged in near the main computer it gets switched on when the computer is powered up each day and goes off when the computer does. Been working like that for at least 18months with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Looking for a compatible router for Meteor's E3131 dongle. It would appear batesy is running a TP-Link with an E3131 and just wondering how that is working out. Just looking through forums the hilink modems seem to be a bit problematic.

Currently have the dongle on a Manhattan Hi-Speed usb cable out a window direct to the laptop which is not ideal.

Any suggestions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

Hi, I have the E122 on the TP Link MR3420 a few months now and now problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Thanks lighthouse, trying to get feedback on using with the E3131 as I know this dongle can be a bit more problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭halfback5

guys what is the cheapest option for a router that will take a 3g dongle. Just need something as a back up when I'm away from home. Know the Dovola's are good but a bit pricely. If anyone had a B260 floating around I'd grab it!

eirator wrote: »
    I'm certainly not convinced 10m is a good idea unless absolutely necessary. Cutting the cable and putting on a new connector is almost impossible unless you have the right crimping tools, but sometimes you can make any adjustment if the cable is soldered into the antenna and of course if you can open it up easily. You could look for an antenna that has a connector mounted directly on it so you buy your own cable.

In your location I'd say get a router and a suitable dongle that takes an antenna and try the whole thing out with the dongle on the side of the shed in a plastic bag on a USB extension cable. If thats not great then move onto an antenna. I did a quick look on ebay and came up with this cheapy http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230845887385 note the short cable and I'd try one like that with the router inside the shed, a 4m USB extension cable, a water proof cheap "Hansel" type box for the dongle mounted on the back of or near the antenna. btw I'm not saying that link is for a great antenna just an example and from checking the listing I don't think you get any mounting hardware.

Having any joy lads? any updates. Feel free to bang some question this way

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

halfback5 wrote: »
    Having any joy lads? any updates. Feel free to bang some question this way

Just an update on what I ended up doing.

I got the directional flat panel antenna with the 10 metre cable. it was possible to cut it but I decided not to do so to start off with. the dongle is plugged into a tp link router. and I have a cat 6 cable bringing the connection to the house.

Without the antenna I am not able to get any connection. with the antenna my signal strength goes to about 38% (per the router)

I am geting pings of 50 to 100ms and the download speed is between 1.5mbps and up to 8mbps

I have to say I am really happy with the outcome, I havent bothered to shorten the cable on the antenna, but I guess it would probably improve it a bit more if i did

cuculainn wrote: »
    Just an update on what I ended up doing.

I got the directional flat panel antenna with the 10 metre cable. it was possible to cut it but I decided not to do so to start off with. the dongle is plugged into a tp link router. and I have a cat 6 cable bringing the connection to the house.

Without the antenna I am not able to get any connection. with the antenna my signal strength goes to about 38% (per the router)

I am geting pings of 50 to 100ms and the download speed is between 1.5mbps and up to 8mbps

I have to say I am really happy with the outcome, I havent bothered to shorten the cable on the antenna, but I guess it would probably improve it a bit more if i did

Very good, yes I would strongly advise to keep cable run as short as possible it is amazing how much difference it can make especially as your boasting the signal at as stage.

Feel free to pm and I can give you more tips

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Huawei E355

e35502.jpg

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/productFeatures.do?pinfoId=3254&treeId=3619&directoryId=5009&tab=0

I was wondering how long it would be before the likes of this came out. Basically, a Mifi unit from Huawei with no power source of its own.

Exactly the same otherwise, but it needs power from a USB battery pack\Car USB port\USB wall plug etc, through its USB end.

It does not have to be plugged into a PC, self standing, like the powered units.

I can see this having a bit of a following for bodging, to be used in cars, boats.. etc. They're exactly the same size as a regular USB dongle and have an external antenna port. Currently, certain sellers on eBay will ship from Hong Kong for about €45. (smscaster)

I like this for some reason, maybe just the size, it's so dinky..

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

I have the TP-Link MR 3220 but it wouldnt recognize my usb modem, huawei E353, even though its on the compatibility list. I tried updating firmware, entering Apn manually etc.

I'm in the process of returning the 3220, and I was going to get a 3420, but I seen that hominngbird had the exact same problem with the 3420 aswell.
    homingbird wrote: »
    Hi i am looking for help setting up this router i bought TP-Link tl-mr3420 for my sister who is with 3mobile. The dongle she has is the E353 & the router does not recognize it nor does it give me the opition of selecting 3ireland as my internet provider. The Huawei E353 is in their list of dongles under a different make.

Has anyone with the 3420 or the 3220 come up for a solution for this?

Or will I just have to get a different USB modem, and if so which one as the one I have is on the compatibility list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

eirator wrote: »
    Stop wasting your time with that dongle the HiLink version of E353 3 IRL supply doesn't work with that or any router for that matter.Check first if the dongle is recognised if it isn't then give up.No need to select any country just put the APN 3internet and Dial String *99# in manually.

Like eirator says e353 modem does not show up on the tp link so I gave up and bought a o2 modfem that wojrks.

So will any o2 modem work or what model is your modem?

Is the 02 modem not locked to o2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Yes it is locked but you can get it unlocked at a phone unlock shop for 15 euro. I havent got it done yet but intend to do so & use for 48mobile internet or 3internet.

• Advertisement

Locked??? If you are trying a locked dongle from another provider in a 3G router then try it without unlocking it first. I've not tried any current dongles but many were many older ones were never locked and it was only the software on stored on the dongle that was locked to the operator and you don't use that software when you are plugging the dongle into a 3G router.

That crazy weather recently bashed up the old router on the roof had to make a new box things...

Really is an inexpensive way to get a decent 3g signal outside... would work find for a dongle in a smaller box and a long usb cable

0d237e9daa4d41679d28da8.png

f83f15a3997142aa8385042.png

Cost about a 5er to do

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

What sorta set up have you in that box??? Does it still cut out/be crap all the time or a real improvement?

I've used a fair few dongles and Hotshots, none of which were much addition (10th of a meg most of the time), could someone give me a real quick rundown on the Dovado and the stuff discussed in this Thread (they're gone very long) and whether it'd be worth me trying them??

@ Dr Silly Bollox MD, -=al=- and others that have posted unusual setups started out with the same issues as you have and the reason that lunch boxes etc have been used is because they are cheap ways of getting an installation up and running to TEST and see if their is an improvement. If it works then you can throw some more money at it or a more expansive piece of tupaware.

So all I'm saying is go and try it, it might be a big improvement or a waste of time but you'll have to try it to know.

Works fine really and it's as good as "always on" broadband to be quite honest. I never turn it off unless I'm going away for a few days at a time.

All there is in the box is the 3g router and a cat5 cable going into my main router...

Alternatively if you had an external antenna you could just put that outside but the length of cable for the antenna could affect how effective it is.. or even just stick the USB dongle outside in something like that

It's so cheap to do it's worth the shot really. I use the connection for 4-5 devices and works fine for xbox live too.. I get the odd drop out but it's aok

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

-=al=- wrote: »
    Works fine really and it's as good as "always on" broadband to be quite honest. I never turn it off unless I'm going away for a few days at a time.

All there is in the box is the 3g router and a cat5 cable going into my main router...
    Aww, it looked more magical on first glance:pac:, worth a shot, though I fear i'll have to head down the satellite route.

What's your main router or will any do?

Yeah very simple, just a router in a box there really is nothing to it.. Definitely try something similar to avoid the satelite... netflix, streaming, xbox live, youtube everything works fine and always on pretty much

1022652949.JPG

Tp-Link TL-WR1042ND Wireless Router

Any router should do really once you go into a lan port and disable the DHCP server on it...
    Just a few simple settings to edit really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

-=al=-, do you have any 'heat issues', moving towards Summer? Router resetting itself, or freezing (unresponsive), etc..

In this country!? :pac:

Never had issues but the old router crapped out after over a year of use outside but it wasn't in as good a box as the one there

There are also holes in the box to let some air in and out and if it's cold out sure it keeps itself warm

It might get knackered after some time but they're usually fine out there. The condensation would do more damage probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fran426ft

I bought a TPlink TL-MR3420 router and am using it with my O2 E3131 3G Dongle as wired broadband is not an option in my area.

Before I bought the TPlink router I was using an old Vodafone HG556a router that was lying around. With that I had to continually reset and reconnect with that router. Then the WiFi started playing up so I replaced it.

I'm happy with the TPlink and it seems to stay connected all the time but there has been a considerable drop in connection speed since I started using it. With the Vodafone router or directly connected to the computer I was getting up to 7Mbps download speeds and with the TPLink I'm now only getting between 1 and 2Mbps. Upload speeds are about the same as before.

Anyone any idea why this is the case and any suggestions to get my speed back through the TPLink router?

Advertisement