Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardly Normal NAME YOUR PRICE sale

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

I went in for the fun of it. You can haggle 10% off. So its a 10% below marked price sale. Unless you are an idio and and they get you to agree to only 5% off.
    I also noticed that a couple of things we were looking at a few weeks ago had actually increased more than 10% since then.

Its just a gimmick to attract idiots. Steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

bobbbb wrote: »
    I also noticed that a couple of things we were looking at a few weeks ago had actually increased more than 10% since then.

Its just a gimmick to attract idiots. Steer clear.

Typical of Harvey Normans! I genuinely do hope they pull out. They contribute nothing to the Irish consumer electronics and homeware shops, except annoying advertising of course. With prices like theirs(Their beaten by power city or DID for more or less everything), i'm amazed they've survived this long here anyway. My only guess is that the "idiots" have fell for the constant bombardment of their advertising. I think a better strategy is to skimp on advertising and offer good prices. You never hear DID or Power city advertising except for around Chrimbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Typical of Harvey Normans! I genuinely do hope they pull out. They contribute nothing to the Irish consumer electronics and homeware shops, except annoying advertising of course. With prices like theirs(Their beaten by power city or DID for more or less everything), i'm amazed they've survived this long here anyway. My only guess is that the "idiots" have fell for the constant bombardment of their advertising. I think a better strategy is to skimp on advertising and offer good prices. You never hear DID or Power city advertising except for around Chrimbo

You're bang on.
    In Swords there is a DID 2 doors down from Harvey Norman. Anything at all you see in HN you walk up to DID and its always cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

zuroph wrote: »
    If a compnay has to ask/beg customers to haggle with them, its not the company are idiots.

I have tried to haggle with them before about 2 years ago. They wouldnt have it. Fine I hope they go under as they sell overpriced crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,879 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was going to buy a samsung series 6 tv from Harvey Normans.
    Everything was going grand paid a deposit and was told ill have it with-in 3 days

rang them on the 3rd day,no tv instock

this sort of thing went on for a while, around 2 weeks later still no tv

in the end,I took my deposit back and walked away
    how can they fog of their customers like that,ill never know

good riddens id say

went into expert electrical a while back and the customer care was brilliant,got a lovely stand for only 250 euro,they wanted 300,got them down to 250

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

20% off total of €1,500 in DID
    (20% back is in vouchers for DID so might be worth while holding something back to use the vouchers on).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

rom wrote: »
    I have tried to haggle with them before about 2 years ago. They wouldnt have it. Fine I hope they go under as they sell overpriced crap.
    I've always haggled there, most recently, got a €800 fridge freezer for €710, cheaper than anywhere else could do it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Darthrodney

I went in today, very nice lady served me and my wife ... couch set was 2300Euro ... straight off the bat she says "I can give it to you for 2000Euro, haggling to irish people is just not in our make up" then she did us a deal on the delivery too ... worth the trip to me anyway ... can't argue with a 300Euro discount ... no muss, no fuss

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cmdrRiker

Harvey Norman are a bunch of marketing idiots - spotted today a Kenwood red steel standing mixer plus free red steel blender for 499 EUR. Nice bargain...unless you have been to HN a week before and you have seen the same mixer for 300 EUR and blender priced 150 EUR. Indeed a bargain..

What's even more shocking is a Samsung 50" plasma priced at 900 EUR whereas in the almost next door DID the same TV was priced at 700 EUR.... Bargain of a century, no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i though this my self but when I took model no. I clouldn't find any other ROI suppliers or even prices on the net.

I was helping a friend fut out her new house and we were sure prices were put up before sales but we could never prove it.

Anyway we ended playing 3 suppliers off each other and getting a discount of €1000 off on €6000 worth of stock!

It was more like a business deal than haggling for a tenner off a sweater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Zonda999 wrote: »

Harvey Normans main selling point is the finance. Hence why people without cash or credit cards go to them instead of DID or Powercity and don't mind being over-charged as they're getting it on credit. It's basically the hole in the market that the ESB shops used to serve where you could put a purchase on your esb bill !

I go to Harvey Normans to browse for stuff as their shop layouts are much better than Powercity and DID (powercity always reminds me of a jumble sale). If I see something I want in Harveys I go to Powercity for a written quote and then buy the item in DID and if they're not cheaper they'll always price-match (had too much hassle in the past with powercitys non exsitent after sales).

Advertisement