Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardly Normal NAME YOUR PRICE sale

Options
  • 06-03-2009 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

lol

what will they have next :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Customer: I'll take that for minus €1000.
    Sales rep: minus €1000?
    Customer: Yes, I'll take it and you'll give me a €1000.

Seriously though, what actually happens at this? How does it actually work? I assume you can't just go in and take a 50" tv for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Harvey Norman in Bargain Alerts :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I'm curious, I might pop in over the weekend and expect to see not one tv for less that 1000e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

You could walk in with 500 euro. Walk up to a tv for 630 and wave the cash around:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Jaytee and I went in a few months back and they had a table of name your price items (such as plasticy dvd shelf things/old ds accessory sets and other such silly things that I cannot recall) I think we offered 2 euro (each mind you) for the dvd thingys and the ds yoke.....we went off thinking we were great but it didn't take long for us to realise we'd been had!!!

During the Jan sales, I bought a dvd player....54.95...I asked your man could he do it for 50.....jaysus you'd think I'd asked him to cut off his legs, the look he gave me. Felt really embarrassed.I bought it anywayat the 54.95....I knew I'd been had as I walked out the door:pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Customer: I'll take that for minus €1000.
    Sales rep: minus €1000?
    Customer: Yes, I'll take it and you'll give me a €1000.

Seriously though, what actually happens at this? How does it actually work? I assume you can't just go in and take a 50" tv for a fiver.

I'm still laughing at this...:pac::pac: Had me in stitches! (Just back on thread to laugh at it again)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

lindtee wrote: »
    Jaytee and I went in a few months back and they had a table of name your price items (such as plasticy dvd shelf things/old ds accessory sets and other such silly things that I cannot recall) I think we offered 2 euro (each mind you) for the dvd thingys and the ds yoke.....we went off thinking we were great but it didn't take long for us to realise we'd been had!!!

How exactly had you been 'had'?

How does this even work? Is it like an auction where the 'winners' are called back at the end of the day or what?

:confused:

I was only having a laugh! No, what I meant is what the time we went they only had a couple of tables of various rubbishy items included in the name your price promo many of which could be got in the pound shop. I don't think that you could name your price for anything that wasn't on these tables. But maybe this current "sale" is different and you can in fact name your price on decent stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Was there yesterday, looking at a fridge. They seem to be prepared to drop about 10% off the asking price on all items because I could not haggle any lower then 10% on either of the items I was looking at.

Maybe look for 15% discount and settle for 12% if you can get that high??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Name Your Price Sale. So I didn't mishear the advert. Cowboys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Name Your Price Sale. So I didn't mishear the advert. Cowboys

Should read -

Name your price sale*

*providing your price is within the set discount structure we've worked out prior to the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭veryangryman

connundrum wrote: »
    Should read -

Name your price sale*

*providing your price is within the set discount structure we've worked out prior to the sale.

How would they make money out of the dopes then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How would they make money out of the dopes then?

Sell them ultra gold plated zero oxygen HDMI cables for €1k a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Sell them ultra gold plated zero oxygen HDMI cables for €1k a pop.

Dont forget to buy the extended warranty :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

If a compnay has to ask/beg customers to haggle with them, its not the company are idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Got some stuff in there cheaper than online before ,someone made a balls of a sales list:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

i take it the 0% interest deal is over now?
    I was wanting to get a tv but was out of the country last week..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If the 0% interest offer is over and you can now get a discount of about 10%, then you were paying 10% interest anyway.

(OK so the interest won't be compound)

Best advice go to the credit union!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If the 0% interest offer is over and you can now get a discount of about 10%, then you were paying 10% interest anyway.

wasnt that 100% interest free?????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Tiesto wrote: »
    i take it the 0% interest deal is over now?
    I was wanting to get a tv but was out of the country last week..

Yup...there was absolutely zero interest in it. :pac:

Was walking around their Dundalk branch during that promotion...they had all the prices taken off the big ticket items and replaced with a monthly payment price. Talk about just confusing people further...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I mean if you bought your item last week at price 10% higher than you could have this week then it cost you 10% of the price of the item for the interest free offer.

Not a very important point but makes you think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sue97 wrote: »
    Was there yesterday, looking at a fridge. They seem to be prepared to drop about 10% off the asking price on all items because I could not haggle any lower then 10% on either of the items I was looking at.

Maybe look for 15% discount and settle for 12% if you can get that high??

You should have gone to DID- they actively welcome people haggling with them. I got 25 quid off an undershelf fridge (half the size of an undercounter fridge- its marked price was 135- I got it for 110).

Shop around for christs sake......

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thecons

Was in HN today looking for a suite of furniture. Put my eye one two, the first was €1619, haggled to €1500 and free delivery (€45). Then spotted the suite of my dreams at €1799 and thought great! If I can get at least 10% off this I'll be made up! Turns out, if the item has been reduced already, even though that's not mentioned anywhere on the shop floor, you can't haggle. The guy told me it was reduced already from €2850 to €1799. Fair enough, a grand cheaper, but what's with the haggle add??? He was having none of it. We were there for about 1.5 hours and I didn't see one person buy anything! Will say, the assistant was very helpful, but wouldn't haggle with me at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Haggling eh... Wonder if they have any free gourds...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That's my gourd! And my juniper berries!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

smccarrick wrote: »
    You should have gone to DID- they actively welcome people haggling with them. I got 25 quid off an undershelf fridge (half the size of an undercounter fridge- its marked price was 135- I got it for 110).

Shop around for christs sake......

Agree with you there - whats even better is you can bounce the Power City prices off DID prices and get more money off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

do DID have any payment plan options?
    I was in harvey normans yesterday and they have none at the moment for tvs.

Harvey Norman's did actually give me money off before....last year I was buying a multi-region dvd player, the price was up at 49.99 but your man gave it to me for 29.99.....(I think he fancied me:pac::pac:) I didn't even have to haggle or anything, he just said to the woman on the til it was 29.99!! Its still around 44.99. I think its the young fella's who won't give you anything off, so try for the more mature gent.;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

has anyone noticed if they have put there prices up 1st?just curious?dont want to haggle for 10% off and get it at the price it was 2 weeks ago, ive to do a whole house head to toe so i need to save as much as possible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Tiesto wrote: »
    do DID have any payment plan options?
    I was in harvey normans yesterday and they have none at the moment for tvs.
    I was in did last week..
    they have 6 months intrest free payment plan..
    I was also in harvey normans aswell the same day looking at the same tv, 1,500e I am going to buyt it.. said it was a little to dear.. he aggreed with me and that was that!

Advertisement