Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"should be glad to have a job"....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

must say have'nt heard those words yet from management,,,my fellow collegues are annoying in saying it at least a few times a day..in my office there is bout 8 managers to keep beedy eye on us:( not one of them says anything thankfully though they are probably under the same shadow...:)am fortunate to work for financial institution(note not for a bank)so hopefully hammer will not fall on us little people...or at least not too hard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Mhmm...weetabix

Now prostitution hardly has many responsibilities does it?:pac:

There's not even a money back guarantee for faulty goods or services :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've heard this one used a few times - especially here lately - and I'd have to disagree.

It's not a charity. You are being paid to do a job that requires a certain skill level. Obviously the higher the skill level, the higher the financial reward.
    In return for this, the employer gets the benefit of this experience and the time you put in to your education.

Expecting someone to take on additional workload, extra/reduced hours, reduced salary/benefits or other changes in conditons is one thing in the current climate (within reason), but expecting them to be HAPPY about it too is a stretch too far.

"should be glad to have a job" - how about "should be glad to have someone who'll take on this extra workload/reduced wage etc".. not that I'd advise actually saying this of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

davgtrek wrote: »
    the fact is that this recession is the perfect excuse for employers ( who over the past 10 years made huge profits and paid very little tax ) to screw us even further. 20% pay cuts here for same length of week.
    unfortunately most employers think the same. bottom line profits. if that same profit cannot be achieved screw the staff.

i wonder when things turn around how long employers will take to give back that 20% ????[/quote

True all employers are millionaires who spend most of their time sorting out their tax evasion plans.

its a simple supply and demand situation, when we had full employment , staff had us over a barrell and some employers were royally screwed, all of a sudden staff (in some cases not all) were demanding pay increases and perks that werent deserved and taking holidays and sick days whenever it suited them and messed work around in the process.

now the shoe is on the other foot and the slackers will be made to pay, businesses will use this to streamline their operations again.

its a simple swings and roundabout situation and for many businesses , staff is their biggest cost and many businesses are worried.

im not gone on the saying and would never say it to my staff , but the suddeness of the downturn has a lot of employers on the back foot.

Advertisement