Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"should be glad to have a job"....

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭

Has anyones employer/boss said this to them recently when asking about company perks, days off, extra holidays, increase in wages/bonus/commission ect.... anything really.
    Has anyones boss layed it out to them that they should be glad that they have a job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Yes and I'd happened to me GF in her job as well.
    Fecking hate people using that as an excuse....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭3DataModem

whycliff wrote: »
    Has anyones employer/boss said this to them recently when asking about company perks, days off, extra holidays, increase in wages/bonus/commission ect.... anything really.
    Has anyones boss layed it out to them that they should be glad that they have a job?

In many cases it is true. Employers in a lot of industries are faced with having the real cost of employees increase (via negative inflation). Small employers of skilled staff will feel this the worst. If they are being pressured to increase salaries that will make things worse.

Especially as the average mortgage payer is c. 300 per month better off than a few months ago, many employers feel that increased wage demands are cheeky to say the least.

PS I'm not an employer (or - generally - a sympathizer)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Then reply with

'Your lucky to have me as an employee'

In my case thats not going to work, theyre still gunna turf me out in a few months..until then...Im fleecing the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

They have said it to me, but I'm leaving in June to go travel for a year. Have no responsibilites and have hated the place from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I hear it every second day or so :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

yeah, we were all brought in 2 hours early in my weekend job. Given a big spiel about how we need to provide a better service, and to be positive and upbeat and that if we weren't we would lose our jobs, and that there was loads of people ringing looking for work. Bull Crap!!!
    At the end of the night there was no extra money for the 2 hours....needless to say, I don't work there anymore :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

20% decrease in wages at the start of the year. I am glad to have a job.

I'm in the construction sector

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Heard it 12 YEARS ago from my last employer !!!!!!
    /Notin new TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Puddleduck wrote: »
    ..until then...Im fleecing the place

Oohhh, can you aquire one of those staple removers thingies for me? I broke my last one trying to show someone how you extract venom from a snake. Cheers!

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

employers who have been forced to let people go, and have left the remaining employees with a greater work load and responsibilities, what is the incentive to get out of the bed every morning for work for no greater incentive and more "weight" on you shoulders?
    yes i am glad to have a job, dont get me wrong. But at what price. at what level of committment should you have to give before enough is enough?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I was given a new job just after christmas. Twice as much responsibility and work, they charge me out to the client at a higher rate but I get no extra money. Something wrong with that picture.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Oohhh, can you aquire one of those staple removers thingies for me? I broke my last one trying to show someone how you extract venom from a snake. Cheers!

What coulor would you like? So far I have three, one red, and two black. I like to make them talk to each other..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Lucky I'm selling 8 hours of myself to you for much less than the true value of my output

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Then reply with

'Your lucky to have me as an employee'

In my case thats not going to work, theyre still gunna turf me out in a few months..until then...Im fleecing the place

Maybe that's why they're gonna turf you out

Mark200 wrote: »
    Maybe that's why they're gonna turf you out

No, Im pretty sure its coz there relocating...that or a lot of people rob stationary...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

maybe if yu came up with a cure for aids or cancer would they be lucky to have anyone as an employee, but generally at the moment everyone is depensable...
    How depressing is that? To come in everyday knowing how hard you work it wont be rewarded in any other way than keeping your job... sickening!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Ive been hearing it as long as Ive been working :confused:, never could understand why.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

'whycliff', this your boss here, I'd just like to say that because of your abuse of the workplace over the internet, that you are now fired ! Pls leave the building.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

'whycliff', this your boss here, I'd just like to say that because of your abuse of the workplace over the internet, that you are now fired ! Pls leave the building.
    :cool:
    GET OFF MY FACEBOOK!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i say it to myself all the time, im my own worst enemy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

the fact is that this recession is the perfect excuse for employers ( who over the past 10 years made huge profits and paid very little tax ) to screw us even further. 20% pay cuts here for same length of week.
    unfortunately most employers think the same. bottom line profits. if that same profit cannot be achieved screw the staff.

i wonder when things turn around how long employers will take to give back that 20% ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Hear it the whole time.

*yawn*
    pretty bored of it at this stage, they can say what they like. I'm still taking what I'm entitled to.
    Bullying tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

What coulor would you like? So far I have three, one red, and two black. I like to make them talk to each other..
    Any cance of getting one with a diamond-back motif so I can play at being a snake hunter again?
    On other stationary related issues I am creating a Dalek army outta those rubber thumb things...

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Any cance of getting one with a diamond-back motif so I can play at being a snake hunter again?
    On other stationary related issues I am creating a Dalek army outta those rubber thumb things...

Ha no! You want a fancy smancy venom extractor then youll have to blue peter a normal one. Im making paper clip people/animals..and getting hit on by the office perv..awesome..

Ha no! You want a fancy smancy venom extractor then youll have to blue peter a normal one. Im making paper clip people/animals..and getting hit on by the office perv..awesome..
    Why are you hitting on yourself?:confused:
    Desperate times I suppose :pac:

Why are you hitting on yourself?:confused:
    Desperate times I suppose :pac:

Staff cutbacks. Im also the person at the water fountain, the person that always stops you when your bursting for a pee and the kiss up.

Staff cutbacks. Im also the person at the water fountain, the person that always stops you when your bursting for a pee and the kiss up.
    So you stop people bursting for a pee and kiss up to them while perving on them?
    I like multitaskers :D

So you stop people bursting for a pee and kiss up to them while perving on them?
    I like multitaskers :D

Im here to help. Im thinking of going for a promotion and adding 'Person who looks busy while doing nothing' to my many skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

SheroN wrote: »
    I was given a new job just after christmas. Twice as much responsibility and work, they charge me out to the client at a higher rate but I get no extra money. Something wrong with that picture.

Now prostitution hardly has many responsibilities does it?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

"should be glad to have a job"....

Warning: if your boss ever says this to you, it invariably precedes a pay cut, extension of working hours or a blow-job request.

Advertisement