Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont feel sorry for yourselves

Options
  • 28-02-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

That is what the Finance Minister said at the Fianna Fail Ard Dheis.

Easy for him to say, he's not really feeling this recession. What a total plonker; talk about adding insult to injury!

link here
    Lenihan: 'Don't feel sorry for yourselves'
    28/02/2009 - 15:18:40

People must not feel sorry for themselves amidst the current recession but everybody must weather the storm together, Finance Minister Brian Lenihan said today.

The TD’s address to the Fianna Fáil party’s Ard Fheis received a standing ovation from delegates after he told him that hard decisions must be taken by the Government to build a better economy and society in the years ahead.

The senior Coalition partner is gathering in Dublin as it faces the worst poll ratings in its history and as the Taoiseach and his ministers grapple with unprecedented economic challenges.

Mr Lenihan told delegates in the Citywest Hotel: “This is not a time to feel sorry for ourselves. This is a time to realise that if we take these hard decisions, we will have a better Ireland in the future.

“We are inclined to beat ourselves up too much. We have to recognise the huge strengths we have as a nation and an economy.”

Earlier Taoiseach Brian Cowen didn’t rule out the possibility of holding a mini-Budget in coming months to increase taxes and other revenue-raising measures.

“We will do whatever is necessary to bring order to our public finances,” he said.

But Mr Lenihan said any tax rises must not impact on jobs or competitiveness.

“There can be no return to the bad old days of 64% tax rates,” he told the party.

“Any changes we introduce have to be carefully considered so that they do not impact on employment or our competitiveness.

“Any tax changes must also be just and fair so that all who benefit from state services pay according to their means. If the main opposition parties have ideas about how we should progress on the issue of tax, I am prepared to listen.”

As the 72nd Ard Fheis resumed, Foreign Affairs Minister Micheál Martin admitted that opinion poll ratings were causing concern in the party.

“From a party political point of view, it is very serious,” he told RTE Radio.

“But we have to transcend that because of the unprecedented nature of the financial and economic collapse around the world which is impacting very fundamentally on Ireland.”

He added: “I accept the statistics but we cannot be paralysed by opinion polls and by the volatility around popularity ratings.”

Transport Minister Noel Dempsey also acknowledged that the Government was failing to communicate with people about the challenges facing the country.

“There is a sense of bewilderment and fear out there. There is a sense of not knowing where we are going,” he said.

He added: “The big failure that we’ve had so far as a Government has been not communicating what we’re doing and why we’re doing it. It’s our fault as a Government, but the message is getting through to people now.”

Mr Lenihan also told delegates that people must discipline themselves so that the economy can weather the storm and emerge from it stronger than ever.

“Just as we were the first country to go into recession, we will be the first country to get out of it as well. That’s the ambition I have set myself,” he told delegates.

The TD said the same ingenuity, hard work and entrepreneurial spirit that built the economic miracle of the last twenty years can put the country back on the path to growth.

“This world recession will pass. We must all pull together to make sure Ireland can secure maximum benefit from the inevitable up turn,” he told delegates.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

“We are inclined to beat ourselves up too much."

i.e. The Public are inclined to beat us up when we make silly mistakes and cost the taxpayer billions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder how much the "Rent-a-crowd" got paid for being there and applauding. Things must be going well in cloud-cuckoo land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

People must not feel sorry for themselves amidst the current recession but everybody must weather the storm together, Finance Minister Brian Lenihan said today.

I think the above should actually read:

People must not feel sorry for themselves amidst the current recession but everybody must weather the storm together except me and my friends and people with invested interests in this party or people that could release nasty information about me or my friends into the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

“Just as we were the first country to go into recession, we will be the first country to get out of it as well. That’s the ambition I have set myself,” he told delegates.

I doubt it:cool:

It should prove very entertaining when those fuckwits arrive on voters' doorsteps before the local elections. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

thebman wrote: »
    I think the above should actually read:

People must not feel sorry for themselves amidst the current recession but everybody must weather the storm together except me and my friends and people with invested interests in this party or people that could release nasty information about me or my friends into the media.
    Or:

I like money.You like money.We have money.We are monkeys.
    Fcuk everyone else.Champagne, dodo eggs and caviar in the buffet.

happy09 wrote: »

I doubt it:cool:

Every other country will be out of it before Ireland - and the working population of the country will leave to take part in the economic upsurge. Those left behind will be able to corner the market in tumbleweed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

The big failure that we’ve had so far as a Government has been not communicating what we’re doing and why we’re doing it.
    It is too late now telling us about the lack of communication, what they were doing and why - the damage is done now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

he has a point though. and i know they helped fuck up the countries finances, and no i wont be voting for them. and i know that some people are going to feel it more than others, myself i'm on a three day week, and i've heard all the other bullshit arguments for and against, but when he says we shouldn't feel sorry for ourselves he is right. because it'll get us nowhere.
    personally i'm enjoying having a four day weekend every weekend, its just a pain in the scrotum not having much money to spend on these long weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

His national address should be interesting later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

We seriously need another 1916.

The Gov and senior management of the Banks, churches, Judicary, Developers, should be put against the wall and asked to justify their existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

longshanks wrote: »
    he has a point though. and i know they helped fuck up the countries finances, and no i wont be voting for them. and i know that some people are going to feel it more than others, myself i'm on a three day week, and i've heard all the other bullshit arguments for and against, but when he says we shouldn't feel sorry for ourselves he is right. because it'll get us nowhere.
    personally i'm enjoying having a four day weekend every weekend, its just a pain in the scrotum not having much money to spend on these long weekends.

What he means is people should stop protesting against his levies I'm guessing.

Maybe if he explained the true nature of the situation Ireland is in, he wouldn't have such protests. People will go to incredible lengths for their country but not to keep our politicians in extragent lifestyles they have become accustomed to.

People expect them to take a proper hit and then they can request the poorest in our society to take a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

His national address should be interesting later.

When is this? When is brian gonna face us too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

“This world recession will pass. We must all pull together to make sure Ireland can secure maximum benefit from the inevitable up turn,”

Shame its theres a good chance alot of us could will lose our lively hoods and or homes while the inevitable shows up.

They are a shower of ****. They will never have to suffer the hard times we have ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,309 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Gov and senior management of the Banks, churches, Judicary, Developers, should be put against the wall and asked to justify their existence.

we need another 1939, a world war to shake things up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ukraine_orange

What we need is a revolution. Or maybe Norway could politely invade us and we'd be part of the Kingdom of Norway. :eek: (*crosses fingers*)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I've been at Fianna Fail Ard Dheis's and they were and continue to be "Love fests" for one another.
    As long as they continue to keep going round in the RDS shaking hands, patting each other on the back - not seeing fcuking reality beyond the love fest doors, nothing will change.

They are a party that is dying on its feet, from inside - and they still can't see it!
    They are too busy and blind with every excuse like:

"O' well, the public understand its because of the recession"
    "Well, who else is the schmucks going to vote for? Sinn Fein!" (and they would then snigger at the population behind the rest of their backs...)
    "The population don't understand us..."
    "We are in power and we got the suits and seats!"
    and so on...

The "we are right" arrogance (and buckets of snobbery) of many at these Ard Dheis's is unreal and a far, far step away from reality (O' sure, they will quote to you "We understand and we are with you" - that is until it effects their wages/pensions/perks and junkets!).
    The PR people consistently play motivational and drummed up inspiring videos on the back screens to get the crowd going and invigorated before the next speaker appears to voice how right they all are and how they are right to be tasking a role in a party that will lead the rest on the road to success..."

...yet 10 minutes outside the doors beyond, down the road in Crumlins hospitals for example, people are actually dying for lack of medical care, emergency rooms are crammed and people are lying on stretchers along the hallway corridors like a cramped MASH unit in a war zone.

Fianna Fail Ard Dheis's are a sick joke and as far from reality as you will get. Expect more of the same spin and PR garbage from the head twats of the corrupt party for the next few days, thrown at you in soundbites!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nothing like that happen in 1916. What have the churches got to do with the recession , at the end of the day buck stop with the government . they did not force the regulator to do their duties, they allowed the building bubble to keep expanding long after everyone who wasn't making huge profits on it had warned about it , they didn't try to control value for money in the health service when they had the chance , they should have spent less on infrastructure saving for a rainy day so they could have spent it now and got better work for less, ( would also have made houses cheaper since less competition ) about the only idea they got right was the national pension fund , but no doubt they'll bugger that up too
    by handing it over to the *ankers [pick a consonant]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...and the good news is now they have announced yet another new banking organisation! :rolleyes:

Dear lord, ...when will the jobs for the boys end!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

He has a point. I really wish the same people who supported givaway budgets would stop complaining that it's all the governments fault. People are wallowing in an 'OMG teh recession OMG it's all the governments fault' kind of attitude.

• Advertisement

andrew wrote: »
    He has a point. I really wish the same people who supported givaway budgets would stop complaining that it's all the governments fault. People are wallowing in an 'OMG teh recession OMG it's all the governments fault' kind of attitude.

You're right, its the common folk who work in the public and private sectors faults.

If its not the Governments fault for not regulating banks and letting them take a massive **** on us then who's fault is it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

You're right, its the common folk who work in the public and private sectors faults.

If its not the Governments fault for not regulating banks and letting them take a massive **** on us then who's fault is it?

Who's at fault? Lots of people, including, but not limited to, the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well, Andrew is right in a way somehow. 42% of the electorate voted them in. They were both conned and looked after mé féin first when they voted FF.

That said, they were just stupid to heed the warnings that the housing bubble will need to tears that would fill a river.

andrew wrote: »

Perhaps people assumed that the government was putting something aside for a rainy day, as well as improving everybody's cashflow. There was enough to do both, but of course they blew it.

It's like a flourishing business employing an embezzling book-keeper.

Well they voted Bertie in, who then got caught with his pants down and resigned so we are stuck with Cowen by default who is teamed up with the biggest shower of spineless **** in government The Green Party.

The only reason they haven't called for a No Confidence vote is because they cant get the majority because the greens know they will never be in power again.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps people assumed that the government was putting something aside for a rainy day, as well as improving everybody's cashflow. There was enough to do both, but of course they blew it.

It's like a flourishing business employing an embezzling book-keeper.

Charlie McCreevy said 'when I have it I spend it,' yet noone marched on the streets in protest at his irresponsibility - everyone saw that they'd be getting more money and thats all anyone cared about.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

ejmaztec wrote: »

They did put money aside through the pension reserve fund which was attacked at the time by FG who wanted more infrastructure.

There wasn't enough to do both. We relied on stamp duty and property related taxes to boost revenues.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

K-9 wrote: »
    We relied on stamp duty and property related taxes to boost revenues.

You mean the govt did. Why were the govt not investing in infrastructure and education so we would be in a very good position to create high skilled jobs while they had the funds. Why was their such a surprise when Dell decided to move to Eastern Europe? The cost of doing business in Ireland has been going up for several years now, how could the govt not spot this, and it is not just a case that we can't compete with Eastern Europe, it is getting to the stage where we can't compete with the UK.

We had the funds but so much was wasted over the years. Surely the govt knew it could not rely on the property sector for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

" we need another 1916 to sort this out"

"we neeed another 1939.."

Fkk it lads. We need another comet strike....

or about 18 months of waiting until someone else does something and then it'll all be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

OPENROAD wrote: »
    You mean the govt did. Why were the govt not investing in infrastructure and education so we would be in a very good position to create high skilled jobs while they had the funds.

They did, but also had to look after Health etc.

OPENROAD wrote:
    Why was their such a surprise when Dell decided to move to Eastern Europe?

Don't think it was, any suggestions yourself?

OPENROAD wrote:
    The cost of doing business in Ireland has been going up for several years now, how could the govt not spot this, and it is not just a case that we can't compete with Eastern Europe, it is getting to the stage where we can't compete with the UK.

YEP, High wages being a massive cost. The Govt. should have ensured a lower minimum wage and given less in wage agreements and Benchmarking. Unfortunately even now, as we see everyday in the news, that is unpopular.
    OPENROAD wrote:
    We had the funds but so much was wasted over the years. Surely the govt knew it could not rely on the property sector for ever.

YEP, so should have everybody else!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement