Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nurseskeff

hi there just reading a few of the posts on here.im a nurse for 13 years but would love to apply for the guards.its been on my mind for a while now.just wondering about the new criteria expected to be brought in for the next recruitment drive ie:first aid course etc.im wondering would i be expected to do a first aid course or can they make exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

nurseskeff wrote: »
    hi there just reading a few of the posts on here.im a nurse for 13 years but would love to apply for the guards.its been on my mind for a while now.just wondering about the new criteria expected to be brought in for the next recruitment drive ie:first aid course etc.im wondering would i be expected to do a first aid course or can they make exemptions

I would expect you have no PHECC accreditation. Most CPR courses in hospital are BLS healthcare provider......so on this I would try to have a PHECC accredited course done if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

there is NO new criteria, as HRM confirmed to me themselves. And don't let people tell you otherwise

this sounds a bit over the top .i have my acls course done .i want to be a guard not to do more healthcare stuff.and i dont want to be a paramedic.i actually think im more than qualified to provide first aid or even prehospital care.thanks for the advice though.it will be interesting to see what they introduce.

No I would strongly disagree with you. Pre hospital care is a little different than in hospital care....and last time I checked AGS dont cover you to use any skills as a nurse.....they will however cover up to PHECC EMT.

As the other poster said they havint changed anything yet......however if people think they are 100% of anything yet they are sadly mistaken. As I have said 1,000 times.....AGS can, have and still do change things over night......so dont be caught out for something small;)

No I would strongly disagree with you. Pre hospital care is a little different than in hospital care....and last time I checked AGS dont cover you to use any skills as a nurse.....they will however cover up to PHECC EMT.

As the other poster said they havint changed anything yet......however if people think they are 100% of anything yet they are sadly mistaken. As I have said 1,000 times.....AGS can, have and still do change things over night......so dont be caught out for something small;)

Well i would actually feel a little insulted to have to go off and do a first aid course to join the guards when im a very experienced nurse. I want to be a guard not train as a nurse or emt. Thats the whole point. Its ridiculous.

So my skills as a nurse are less important than that of an emt. Sorry i strongly disagree with you on that one. Both professions ie;nurse and emt are equally as important as each other in my opinion. If i wanted to be an emt id do the emt course.

I agree that having some basic knowledge of first aid is a must but expecting people to do over the top courses to apply for AGS is madness. I agree with also having a full licence and also being able to swim.

My dream is to be a guard not continue as a nurse. I ve done the whole nursing thing. Dont get me wrong i love nursing but my dream is to be a member of AGS.

• Advertisement

well i would actually feel a little insulted to have to go off and do a first aid course to join the guards when im a very experienced nurse.i want to be a guard not train as a nurse or emt.thats the whole point.its ridiculous.so my skills as a nurse are less important than that of an emt.sorry i strongly disagree with you on that one.both professions ie;nurse and emt are equally as important as each other in my opinion.if i wanted to be an emt id do the emt course.i agree that having some basic knowledge of first aid is a must but expecting people to do over the top courses to apply for AGS is madness .i agree with also having a full licence and also being able to swim.my dream is to be a guard not continue as a nurse.i ve done the whole nursing thing.dont get me wrong i love nursing but my dream is to be a member of AGS.

Slow down now...also please try to use paragraphys as its easier to read.

I never said Nurses were less important than EMTs, please dont put words in posts where they are not. EMTs are trained to a far less level than Nurses. The envoirnment that both practice in is different however. Practices are different. Nurses practices may not equate to out of hospital care.

No one is expecting anyone to go over the top....however if you have a simple one day PHECC CFR course wouldnt it be nice to go into an interview and say "Well im a qualified nurse but I did the CFR course so I would be PHECC compliant for the Gardaí....!";)

Slow down now...also please try to use paragraphys as its easier to read.

I never said Nurses were less important than EMTs, please dont put words in posts where they are not. EMTs are trained to a far less level than Nurses. The envoirnment that both practice in is different however. Practices are different. Nurses practices may not equate to out of hospital care.

No one is expecting anyone to go over the top....however if you have a simple one day PHECC CFR course wouldnt it be nice to go into an interview and say "Well im a qualified nurse but I did the CFR course so I would be PHECC compliant for the Gardaí....!";)
    please dont patronise me.if i wanted to use paragraphs i would have.we will just have to agree to disagree

please dont patronise me.if i wanted to use paragraphs i would have.we will just have to agree to disagree

Right...make no mistake if you dont use paragraphs the you will be infracted, simple.

It was not a request, it was a moderator instruction.

And yes we'll just have to agree to disagree......

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sitja

tempers flaring here guys, just remember this forum is for helping and since ive showed an interest in this, i have got nothing but help so thank you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

You have to remember they are still ONLY recommendations at this stage:D
    There has been nothing concrete to say we have to have a first aid course, will have to sit tight and see. No need to be getting stressed about it:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,748 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Thanks for the kind words sitja. We don't get them too often because it's our job to be helpful and police the forum at the same time. A task which is very difficult, because historically we've had to warn or infract users who we had previously helped.

We don't get paid for it, sometimes it can be quite stressful, and all boards.ie moderators have been abused at some point in this voluntary role.
    sitja wrote: »
    tempers flaring here guys, just remember this forum is for helping and since ive showed an interest in this, i have got nothing but help so thank you guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Barnia

Hi Guys

Wondering does anybody know, if you have a sibling with a criminal record
    would you be imediately disqualified from becoming a garda?

Thanks in advance

Barnia wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Thanks in advance

that is impossible for us to answer, because depends on severity etc.

Thanks for reply C, just so I have an slight idea... if the offense is not so severe (fighting and serving a 3month sentance in prison and been caught with small amount of drugs for personal use) then I might have a chance of getting in?
    Its just because I heard years ago that if a sibling has a c. record then I can't even apply...maybe that wasn't true or things have eased up a bit

Hi Guys

Thanks in advance

As claton said its impossible to say.....however remember it YOU thats applying for AGS.....not you brother;)

Thanks for reply C, just so I have an slight idea... if the offense is not so severe (fighting and serving a 3month sentance in prison and been caught with small amount of drugs for personal use) then I might have a chance of getting in?
    Its just because I heard years ago that if a sibling has a c. record then I can't even apply...maybe that wasn't true or things have eased up a bit

YOU were caught with drugs and sent to prison for 3 months?
    then you have no chance pal.. ha ha, jasus.

If it's your sibling, then you still have a good chance of getting into AGS, why should you pay for his / her mistakes..

No of course not me:o , my sibling was!
    do you know long the recruitment process is taking these with the recession? thanks:D

No of course not me:o , my sibling was!
    do you know long the recruitment process is taking these with the recession? thanks:D

There is no recruitment.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

public jobs just announced garda trainee 2010, details to follow in the coming weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

DK47 wrote: »
    public jobs just announced garda trainee 2010, details to follow in the coming weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

no way - deadly :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BlueBell32

Hi,
    Great to hear AGS will be recruiting soon. Am thinking of applying. In my early 30's and wondering how tough the training would be in templemore if I mananged to get that far. Would appreciate any info.

a friend of mine who is a detective, was down in a training course in templemore last week. he rang me and told me that they are introducing the swimming and first aid criteria.

i don't know the in's and out's of the swimming, but thats what he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭StreetAngel

clayton1 wrote: »
    a friend of mine who is a detective, was down in a training course in templemore last week. he rang me and told me that they are introducing the swimming and first aid criteria.

i don't know the in's and out's of the swimming, but thats what he said.

I presume that if there was going to be criteria introduced, that we would be given a chance to do courses in order to meet them :confused:

I presume that if there was going to be criteria introduced, that we would be given a chance to do courses in order to meet them :confused:

i hope so, because i only have 1 of the 3 thus far myself - and that is the full driving licence.

I am going to make a quick call and see what is the story relating to this.

clayton1 wrote: »
    i hope so, because i only have 1 of the 3 thus far myself - and that is the full driving licence.

I am going to make a quick call and see what is the story relating to this.

I'm the exact same!! let us know if you find out anything!!! :D I'd imagine they would give people time to get this all sorted out tho!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

I'm the exact same!! let us know if you find out anything!!! :D I'd imagine they would give people time to get this all sorted out tho!?

I was told the next drive will be the same as previous ones and no new recomendations have been implemented as of yet,
    However, if they do add anything, they will be achievable ones. (ie first aid course is a 2 day course) couldn't foresee any others unless the driving licence is brought in but he said its highly doubtful.

itsallgood wrote: »
    I was told the next drive will be the same as previous ones and no new recomendations have been implemented as of yet,
    However, if they do add anything, they will be achievable ones. (ie first aid course is a 2 day course) couldn't foresee any others unless the driving licence is brought in but he said its highly doubtful.

Oh right, that wouldn't be so bad, at least it would be do-able! hopefully they wont implement any big swimming criteria! :)

Would they really bring in swimming as one of the criteria?? I can swim but wouldn't do it regularly. Bit worried bout this now.

BlueBell32 wrote: »
    Would they really bring in swimming as one of the criteria?? I can swim but wouldn't do it regularly. Bit worried bout this now.

I'm in the same boat!! It's impossible to know what they're planning to do!! :eek:

• Advertisement

Good to know I'm not the only one! All this speculation is doing my head in, would just love to know where I stand as in what they will be looking for. Do you think it will be november before the aptitute will start?

Advertisement