Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash Bandicoot

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know that the console came out in 94, but the definition of "retro" is surely undefined by a simple date of manufacture and more a subjective assesment, combining the consoles age, the softwares age, the level the game is still played, the type of game, the innovation in the game, the date the console died, all these things are important.
    I'm sorry, but the PS just doesn't feel retro.
    This may also be due to the fact that I remember awaiting it's release, having seen and played an NTSC console in Gamesworld on Liffey street.
    Given I played the machine, boxfresh and brand new to the gaming market as an adult with a few years under the belt already, it's hard to consider the console, and hence the software on it, as retro.
    I mean, the N64 and the great Mario64 and Zelda OoT don't feel retro either, yet, doubtless, there are quite a number here on boards.ie who weren't even born when those games were released.
    Wow!
    That's amazing!
    I simply can't imagine that at all!
    The only games machine that came out before my birth, away back in '72, was SpaceWar as far as I know!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I played crash to death when i was younger. I loved that game! I recently picked it up on the cube for 2.99, haven't played much of it, but hoping to get into it again soon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well you see, there you're in trouble, the Cube game is, unfortunately, one of the versions made for the GC, PS2 and Xbox that had no input from Naughty Dog at all and, consequently, sucked.
    Best thing for a Crash fan to do is seek out the 1st three titles of the series along with Crash Team Racing and play them on either your PSone/PS2 or PS3, great fun and infinitely better than the awful "next-gen" sequels.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I played only about 2 mins of it, and its not that bad so far, although i'll see how it turns out when i play it more

But hasn't the edgy down with the kids marsupial/mammal thingy been done to death?
    I mean, Rare surely cornered the market on the N64 with Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie and Conker.
    It's all a little too "street", like your dad wearing a baseball cap backwards, *shudder*

• Advertisement
Advertisement