Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crash Bandicoot

Options
  • 27-02-2009 3:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

It's retro now, it was released in the 20th Century :pac:
    I never played the first when it came out but I got into the second. I only recently played the third actually. I much prefer the third one.
    I never 100% completed any of them, just recently got up to 90% on 3:cool:

So anyone remember this guy ? It's great .

4a18c709e8c6f1fa240c6cef4d11254f.jpgcrashbandicoot2cortexstbc2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Quality game

had both for the playstation, really loved them.

Aku-Aku was class too, made a weird noise when u got him.

Really dislike the new ones now, too many characters - just like Sonic now :mad:

A class old school game though Crash!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Careful now, not sure that Crash qualifies as retro yet, not sure why, the game just doesn't feel old yet, score one then to Sony!
    That said, the Saturn, a peer of the PS, is often considered here and considered retro.
    I reckon it's because a lot of folk only stopped playing the PS in 2002 or even 2003 when the chucked in the PS in favour of the PS2,
    thats why the PS simply doesn't feel as retro as it's peers, the Saturn and N64.

Well done Sony there.

As for Crash itself, I liked the second one more, all the problems with the first ironed out, better graphics and all that, Crash 3 was even better with some really nice effects.
    Spyro, and associated product was arguably more impressive, with a proper 3d roaming world instead of Crashes on rails 3D enviroment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

anything Xbox down is counted as retro. Crash bandicoot is retro.

And to get back on subject, fantastic games really good still hold up today and graphically were beautifully done. crash 3 looks better then the Ps2 versions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Crash 3 is a bit of a technical marvel. It had bilinear texture filtering on a console that didn't have hardware support for it. I liked the Crash games, 3 in particular but I always felt they didn't have a patch on the platformers on the N64. I much preferred the free roaming of the N64 platformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

First one was absolute class !!

I especially enjoyed the real fast levels where he was running at the screen from the Boulders or ontop of a polar bear if i remember correctly, or was it a tiger ? :confused:

I've not slept since yesterday......maybe imagining things :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,914 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always much preferred the Klonoa and Tombi! games to Crash, pity they didn't get the exposure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

For true Playstation platforming genius get a copy of SkullMonkeys.
    I picked it up a year or so ago and it's pure gaming gold.
    Especially the humour therein, fantastic, you really gotta hear the lyrics to the bonus round, fantastic..

Listen hear and let me know what you think..
    http://www.excellentcontent.com/wos/LittleBonusRoom.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I always much preferred the Klonoa and Tombi! games to Crash, pity they didn't get the exposure.

I have klonoa here for ps because I bought it because someone said it was class... it was utter muck. Crash Bandicoot 2 or 3 (even 1 actually) are much better games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I loved the Crash Bandicoot franchise until i played Crash Bash..Jesus Christ that was pathetic

Klonoa is a really nice platformer, sadly under apreciated as it lacks an Italian plumber or a blue hyperactive hedgehog, ah well....

I believe the new Klonoa game on the Wii isn't bad either, nice..

Sadly a lot of Klonoas good ideas turned up in the frankly crap Pandemonium, and it's equally crap sequel, pity really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Played the 2nd game to death many moons ago... Classic stuff :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I've completed all bosses and I'm at about 80% - just need a few tips to get the last few Gems. I remember when the PS and Crash first came out - there were lads in my (6th) class at the time that stayed up all night playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Crash was awesome.
    My favourite game was the second one

I have klonoa here for ps because I bought it because someone said it was class... it was utter muck. Crash Bandicoot 2 or 3 (even 1 actually) are much better games.

Blasphemy! Burn the heretic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭appleidog

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Crash 3 is a bit of a technical marvel. It had bilinear texture filtering on a console that didn't have hardware support for it. I liked the Crash games, 3 in particular but I always felt they didn't have a patch on the platformers on the N64. I much preferred the free roaming of ofthe N64 platformers.

of course crash can't beat mario 64, i mean even now to me that game is just mind blowing:eek:. but the crash bandicoot games are one of those games that has stood the test of time and still looks fantastic really good even. crash 3 looked better then alot of early ps2 platformers,

Given the hardware the Crash and Spyro games both were outstanding technical achievements, the 3rd Crash is, as said, superior to the later editions, but didn't Naughty Dog pack in Crash development after the PS1, they handed Crash twinsanity over to Travellers Tales, that would explain the change in quality.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Given the hardware the Crash and Spyro games both were outstanding technical achievements, the 3rd Crash is, as said, superior to the later editions, but didn't Naughty Dog pack in Crash development after the PS1, they handed Crash twinsanity over to Travellers Tales, that would explain the change in quality.

Yep after Crash 3 the franchise got pimped out and ended up with AIDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

please dont make crash retro cos that makes me old. Only downloaded them a few months back and played them on me psp. Love them games

Interesting that folk have mentioned Sonic. I think there's similarities. Sonic represented the Mega Drive era of gaming and (like it or not:) Crash then represented a "new" era. Well, sort of and only of platform games.

Still though, fab game :)
    I keep saying he's a dog and should be able to swim and he's eating apples. I'd no idea what a bandicoot was/is

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Crash Bandocoot 1 was the first PS1 game I played actually.

Was a case of

'OMFG if that's what ps1 games look like now, imagine in a few years time!"

They never did get much better visually though. Crash is one game that still looks good when so many look god awful.

• Advertisement

You must be insane!
    PS games got better and better as the machines strengths got better exploited.
    Crash was nice looking but, as stated, Crash 3 was visually stunning.
    In every other field too the PS became better put to work, giving us Gran Turismo, Need for Speed 4, Rage Racer/Ridge Racer type 4, Metal Gear Solid, Wipeout 2097, G-Police, tons of great gorgeous games.

Some folk on this forum are very hard on 3D capable machines, reckoning that they age faster, I'm not of that ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

ha, was just talking about this with the resident 16 year old last weekend, after i scored a sega game gear, which included a sonic game. ive been delighting myself with the sonic game since i got it, and the 16 year old had a turn, only to get bored within minutes. i was shocked, and he said, yeah, sonic was a little bit before my time really... now, if you had a handheld crash bandicoot there...

crash was awesome. i can't remember which one i had... possibly first and second. im fairly sure i finished one of them, but can't remember almost anything about it at this stage.

Game Gear is a whole different thing :)
    I got a Game Gear for my Communion actually, loved that thing. But I was rubbish. It was fairly ahead of it's time I thought cause it had a connection for a Telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Interesting that you bring up Crash Bandicoot. I'm playing through it for the first time in the last few weeks. I had a demo of it back in the day and thought it seemed a bit easy. Not so! It's bloody hard. I've no memory card so I'm depending on the passwords. You have to collect 3 tokens before you can do a bonus round. Thing is alot of the later bonus rounds are bloody tricky, and if you **** up then you might as well go back 3 or 4 hard levels because you won't have another opportunity to get password for ages.

We play alot of Crash Team Racing in my house. The extent to which it rips off Mario Kart 64 is amazing. I'm surprised they didn't get sued. Most of the powerups are similar, and some of the tracks are uncannily similar. Same sort of turns, same theme. It's mad. It reminds me alot of the newer Mario Kart games (DD and Wii) in that the powerups are too powerful. The person in last gets all these invincibility speed boosts and missiles so he can go from 6th to 1st in a quarter of a lap which is pretty irritating. I always preferred older versions of MK and Wipeout where racing and cornering was the emphasis. It's a bit cheap if the weapons are overpowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

crash team racing is another one that never really got played in our family. im not sure what came out first, but we certainly owned speed freaks first, and infinitely preferred it to CTR.

Crash_100.jpg

If anyone's playing it , there's a good walkthrough here - http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/196987/48023

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Aw I miss the ole' Crash Bandicoot, I would sit there for hours on ended playing. I still have the first and second game, but it has been a long time since I've played, but you'll most definitely find me playing soon! My favourite "oldie" by far...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

if crash is considered retro, i suddenly feel ancient :(

I still say it's not retro, the PSone was still breathing back in 2000, to paraphrase Dr. Evil, "PSone, just one calorie, not retro enough"

• Advertisement

But it came out in 1994!!!
    Sony's done well getting lots of life out of their console, sure there's still PS2 games coming out there at Xmas

Advertisement