Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Medical/first aid training

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

metman wrote: »
    DrEvil.jpg

I shall call him.....Mini-Nog....muahahaha!

:D

LOL +1
    He he he he :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

ERU recently completed EMT training, again with NASC.

Would be funny if the ERU showed up to a RTC.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Would be funny if the ERU showed up to a RTC.
    Na they have to do it now. Just in case they use force at an incident. (fingers crossed they dont)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Para1

Dont take me the wrong way buzzman, as i said dont wana step on yer toes, but 90% of the time were first on scene for serious RTCs. And there is nothing worse than turning up and seeing members standing there doing nothing because there arent trained.
    My idea is that members should be trained only for what they will encounter and i would be totally against AGS being turned out to calls to provide medical assistance or care, as Buzzman said we dont have the resources nor the manpower to do so.

Realistically what would a member of AGS or even a first aider be able to do at the scene of a serious rtc?? stablises the persons neck to prevent further damage and reassure the patient, you wouldnt have the necessary equiptment to preform a safe extraction, and again someone not trained properly could do seirous harm . Its a little off the point as heart conditions are much more common than rtc and in that situation EVERYBODY should be able to provide CPR. im amazed that every member of AGS is not a CFR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Just for the sake of it,

garda.jpg

defib4_large.jpg

A dash of colour for the thread there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Para1 wrote: »
    Realistically what would a member of AGS or even a first aider be able to do at the scene of a serious rtc??

Hmm perhaps I'm going out on a limb here but maybe they could administer some kind of aid in the first instance....if only there was a term for that kind of initial medical assistance.....:rolleyes:

Who knows, they might even park their vehicles in such a way, using lights and sirens, so as to prevent further collisions and warn other road users...summon help from the control room....oh I'm just shooting in the dark here! :p

As regards extractions etc....erm that's what Trumpton are for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 buzzboy

Hi Last week the rsu in limerick were first on scene to a cardiac arrest and used there aed to deliver one shock to the patient prior to ambo service arrival so well done to the rsu!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Does Buzzman have a son!!!!!!!!! BUZZBOY!!!!

I had a son & no one told me!!!!!!!!!!!

buzzman wrote: »
    I had a son & no one told me!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets face it....it could happen to the best of us:D:D
    Wonder is he a para 2222222222222!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Para1

metman wrote: »
    Hmm perhaps I'm going out on a limb here but maybe they could administer some kind of aid in the first instance....if only there was a term for that kind of initial medical assistance.....:rolleyes:

Who knows, they might even park their vehicles in such a way, using lights and sirens, so as to prevent further collisions and warn other road users...summon help from the control room....oh I'm just shooting in the dark here! :p

point taken metman:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Steviewonder

gdamedic wrote: »
    I'd have to agree with you there on that one, when I was down the country i had to use my first aid a lot.. Also trained to Emergency Medical First Responder outside of job. Even if members were trained to Cardiac First Responder level it would make a difference.

Hi gdamedic

Im hopefully training to join AGS

I have recently trained to Emergency First Responder Level

Will this benefit me in an interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Hi gdamedic

Im hopefully training to join AGS

I have recently trained to Emergency First Responder Level

Will this benefit me in an interview?

well stevie as tesco say, every little helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Steviewonder

dats what im getting at. Out in the sticks we could be waiting up to 40 mins and more for an ambulance and if your really really lucky you might get the response car once a year. Please dont take it the wrong way i have great time for ambulance service but like us they cant be everywhere at once.
    Im trainined as an emergency first responder, pre hospital trauma life support and training as an EMT at present with NASC but if i was to put figures on it i would say less than 200 members are trained past Occupational first aid (which is very very basic for our needs). Think the job needs to get overhaul the training on this

Hi niceguyalways

Would in your opinion having done the Emergency first responder course stand me in good stead for a garda interview?

I have just completed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Im doing a first aid course at the minute, now once i do it i wont be practising regularly with any of the vols, so if i need it in a years time who knows how frsh in the mind it will be, but it would be better than nothing.

With regards what a first aider can do at the scene of a RTC, from what ive been told so far, not a whole lot with regards head injuries, but i could probably treat any walking wounded, treat for shock any cuts, maybe just calm the situation a small bit.

We were told that keeping a head still was only to be undertaken if we knew what to do i.e. i dont think its in the remit of a first aider, because you will have to stay in an awkward position for an unknown period of time, and we cant put on neck-braces either....open to correction on this i havent finished course yet.

I definitely think gardai should have basic first aid and defib/cpr and access to at least 2 defib in every district, in case one is tied up. But i dont think gardai need much more, what i would suggest is that retained firefighters be trained to emt or suitable level,whether this exists or not im not sure, afaik my home town is rural enough and the retained firemen are ua=sually out way before any gardai or ambulance and would be the ones best placed for primary treatment in that instance.

Just my two cents:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Hi niceguyalways

Would in your opinion having done the Emergency first responder course stand me in good stead for a garda interview?

I have just completed it

i know you asked nga but i would think not, a first aid should be an advantage and probably a requirement in the future, besides to do emt is a tad expensive methinks! just re-reading your post, seeing as you have it done, it cannot have a negative affect on your application, best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

holy resurrected thread batman!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tango November.

If they got the money I think the should train all members up to ERF, it has a bit in and enough to save someones life.

I no some fire trucks around the county are carrying AED's

Advertisement