Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creation science ministries?? who are they??

Options
  • 24-02-2009 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

heya,

Nearly crashed the car the other day heading into Bray, decided to try and get a photo when I was driving back past the sign. Posted below

Anyone fancy going along??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm am so up for crashing that party. Let's get drunk first and wear T-Shirts that say things like "Darwin > Jesus" and "No Modern Anti-Biotics For Creationists".

I am absolutely serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I think it is a methodist organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

These jokers perhaps?

Great for a laugh. Try the quiz. I've torn out an eyeball and stuck my head in the oven in frustration already, but hey, it's good fun.

Oh, and did you guys know that Evolution has been downgraded to an hypothesis now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Mena wrote: »
    These jokers perhaps?

Great for a laugh. Try the quiz. I've torn out an eyeball and stuck my head in the oven in frustration already, but hey, it's good fun.

Oh, and did you guys know that Evolution has been downgraded to an hypothesis now?

The shoddiness of their web design mirrors the shoddiness of their beliefs.

sink wrote: »
    The shoddiness of their web design mirrors the shoddiness of their beliefs.

I guess they had to use MS Frontpage or the like, can't very well use something that's evolved to suit modern times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

we want to seriously challenge non-believers to reconsider their beliefs.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I might go...
    I'd rather not see people go and be jerks though...
    Just sensible and somber head shaking and calm dismantling of their misconceptions...
    Nasty/silly witty t-shirts damage your arguements in the eyes of the audience, you'll never change the mind of the speakers but the audience ... You can "save". Especially after the talk cause then you can rebut stuff sensibly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Am sorely tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

kiffer wrote: »

Well that's no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I can't imagine there'd be many 'regular' people at it, my guess would be a crowd of both die hard creationists and atheists looking for some entertainment. Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm am so up for crashing that party. Let's get drunk first and wear T-Shirts that say things like "Darwin > Jesus" and "No Modern Anti-Biotics For Creationists".

I am absolutely serious.

And I am so there!

I can only go after the rugby though! Some things ARE sacred.

kiffer wrote: »
    I might go...
    Just sensible and somber head shaking and calm dismantling of their misconceptions...
    Nasty/silly witty t-shirts damage your arguements in the eyes of the audience, you'll never change the mind of the speakers but the audience ... You can "save". Especially after the talk cause then you can rebut stuff sensibly.

Damn you are right of course. Ok I am so there for this idea instead!

But cant we... you know..... get a LITTLE drunk first?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Damn you are right of course. Ok I am so there for this idea instead!

But cant we... you know..... get a LITTLE drunk first?

depends on your definition :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Saw that sign the other day too. Also nearly made the brother crash with my yelp of indignation :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Vokes wrote: »
    Saw that sign the other day too. Also nearly made the brother crash with my yelp of indignation :pac:

P'raps we could take them to court for causing a hazard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Hey I guess its keeping the hotels in business. In other news:

Creationist Food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I think that creationists make such a big deal out of evolution because they think that by making a foolhardy attempt to approach the science "table", they are engaging in innovative evangelising.

I think that atheists pay so much attention to creationists because they so conveniently fit in with the narrative (which has been revived by Dawkins) that religious people are generally foolish and blind, and that atheists are intelligent, rational beings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Húrin wrote: »
    I think that creationists make such a big deal out of evolution because they think that by making a foolhardy attempt to approach the science "table", they are engaging in innovative evangelising.

I think that atheists pay so much attention to creationists because they so conveniently fit in with the narrative (which has been revived by Dawkins) that religious people are generally foolish and blind, and that atheists are intelligent, rational beings.
    Yeah that's probably why.

CobbDisclaimer_864x437.preview.jpg

....uhhh.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I live a few hundred yards from the Esplanade Hotel so I might pop down too. How will I recognise my atheist brethren though. Should we all were upside down cruxifixes on neck chains, or maybe flying teapot cosy's as wooly hats or how about we all head to a formal attire rental shop and arrive down in our Monkey suits :D

Dave! wrote: »
    Yeah that's probably why.

....uhhh.....

1. argument
    2. ???
    3. profit!

• Advertisement

What symbology do you need? Good ideas are hard to miss.

I am actually semi serious about attending this. I will be in the area, I will be free and myself and a drinking buddy were thinking of something to do that night. For me it is all down to asking what he wants to do that night :)

Why arrange to meet or anything before hand? We should just agree who is actually going to be there. Just go along, stick up your hand politely during Q+A and politely ask your question and make your point and POLITELY sit down and shut up regardless of what the answer is in the common decorum for any event of this nature...... and I am sure by the end of the session we will be wearing our identification on our lips as clear as any upside down cross.

1. argument
    2. ???
    3. profit!

I'm certain the Cobb County Board stickers speak for themselves. Carry on trolling though.
    Why arrange to meet or anything before hand? We should just agree who is actually going to be there. Just go along, stick up your hand politely during Q+A and politely ask your question and make your point and POLITELY sit down and shut up regardless of what the answer is in the common decorum for any event of this nature...... and I am sure by the end of the session we will be wearing our identification on our lips as clear as any upside down cross.

*puts up hand*
    Dave: "So em... this is satire, right? Like you don't really believe this crap do you?"
    Nut: "Of course we do"
    Dave: "Oh... oh... right..."
    *sits down*

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Calibos wrote: »
    How will I recognise my atheist brethren though.

You should have received a mark on your forehead or your right hand when you signed up. Dades might have some left.
    eoin5 wrote: »
    In other news: Creationist Food

Picnic food:
    Take two loaves and five fishes. Multiply. Feeds 5,000.

Wine:
    Take four pints of water. Bless.

Coat!

stick up your hand politely during Q+A and politely ask your question and make your point and POLITELY sit down

That's simple enough
    and shut up regardless of what the answer is

But here lieth the problem. I'd never be able to control myself once they deliver the stock responses we all know they will.

eoin5 wrote: »
    Hey I guess its keeping the hotels in business. In other news:

Creationist Food

The review :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Meticulous science, February 19, 2003
    By A Customer
    It's good to see a book on nutrition that has applied the principles of science so vigorously. I'm sure that everyone who reads this book will start to feel better immediately.

:D

Mena wrote: »
    TBut here lieth the problem. I'd never be able to control myself once they deliver the stock responses we all know they will.

I know I know!

But watch the debates on you tube! Look at, for example the end of the hitchens V hitchens debate.

Is there anything worse than an audience member who asks his question and either a) goes off on a COMPLETE rant instead of asking a question or b) stands there and protests at length about the answer he was given?

If I turned into one of those people, I would hand my head in shame.... using a noose. I really would.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

darjeeling wrote: »
    Picnic food:
    Take two loaves and five fishes. Multiply. Feeds 5,000.

A reader writes: "I tried your loaves and fishes recipe and it didn't work. We had to make do with the smallest sandwiches ever."

My fault entirely - I got the quantities wrong. Five loaves, two fishes, and away you go.

Dave! wrote: »
    I'm certain the Cobb County Board stickers speak for themselves. Carry on trolling though.

Was your post supposed to be a counter argument?

It is hard to counter an argument that was never presented Hurin.

What were you actually saying with the above? It was not exactly the clearest fourish syllable comment in the world. It was more llike, as was said above, trolling..... the posting of a couple of meaningless words in the hope of causing angry reaction.... troll 101 to me.

• Advertisement

Was your post supposed to be a counter argument?
    Yes, the argument, rather concisely captured in my original post, was that there is evidentally a very obvious alternative reason for "paying so much attention to Creationists" than because it fits in with the narrative of religious people being stupid...

...I may as well anticipate your feigned naivity and spell it out further...

...and that is that creationists make alot of noise and can have a very real effect. The Cobb County Education board having stickers that undermine evolution added to biology textbooks is an example of this.

...I'll anticipate you disingenuously acting as though it doesn't undermine evolution at all and is in fact encouraging skeptical thought...

If the board were really interested in encouraging skeptical thought with relation to science then they would add such stickers to all science books and urge caution with relation to atomic and gravitational theory among others. They do not. They single out evolution, which undermines it.

Advertisement