Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only 1 doing better in the recession?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

SJPRogue wrote: »
    Ok, so this isn't a problem, or even an issue, but for me the celtic tiger sucked. they must have been the worst years of my life financially, personally, socially... in just about every way. the celtic tiger for me will be remembered as a time of hardship.

Since about a year ago though, things have just been on the up & up, including on the money side of things.

Don't get me wrong, many of my friends & family are feeling it badly now. quite a few have been made redundant or have had to absorb massive paycuts, so I'm not here with my tongue out going "naa na nana na", but is anyone else out there doing better in the recession than in the roaring tiger years?

My Celtic Tiger memories are scarily similar to your own OP. This recession is a walk in the park for me as I've been struggling all through the Celtic Tiger years. My own circumstances have dramatically improved in the last 12 months, I feel sorry for anyone losing their job or struggling at the moment, but I had a well paid and extremely secure job in a multinational a few years ago and I threw it all in because ultmately I hated the job, the people and the culture and I went out and started up my own business. The first attempt didn't work out for me, but I learned quick and cheap and now things are working out very well for me. I can't understand why Irish people need employers to come over here with big swinging d*cks and create jobs for them, why are they not creating jobs for themselves???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Houses are going for nothing,there giving away mortgages and fianiaces for cars,all because I have a permanant full time job,everything is cheaper,all hail the recession

I wouldnt say houses are going for nothing at the minute gve it another 2 or 3yrs and see what prices will be like. No demand = less price.

The recession hasnt really affected me so far anyway. I wouldnt have experienced the whole celtic tiger as Im out of college and working for only 3 years. That said nearly every single businessis is affected by the recession and thats no different from my employers. Have my car paid and in no debt so safe enough in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buynow

This is not just media hype, there were property bubbles, the banks did make up new ways of counting money that turned out to be be not so good, so there is hell of a lot of wealth that has suddenly disappeared.

The correction in the cost of living for so many items is of course welcome.

However from anyones personal point of view, employment is a big one now. There are businesses all over the world failing from a lack of cash flow. All are now turtling to some extent. I pretty sure Microsoft didn't need to lay off people, but a recession is always a good excuse.

And not just if your job is secure or not, now everyone's opportunities have shrank. Try moving somewhere now. Not as easy.

I do think it will be over in a year though. Once the banks are sorted everything will slowly start moving again (apart from the property market - that is ****ed for a decade).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

tech2 wrote: »
    I wouldnt say houses are going for nothing at the minute gve it another 2 or 3yrs and see what prices will be like. No demand = less price.

The recession hasnt really affected me so far anyway. I wouldnt have experienced the whole celtic tiger as Im out of college and working for only 3 years. That said nearly every single businessis is affected by the recession and thats no different from my employers. Have my car paid and in no debt so safe enough in that respect.

2 bedroom Houses in Finglas two years ago were priced at 400k now the same houses are priced at 250k,and I dont think its all businesses,my place is all about making money,and latley their doing better then ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭kpbdublin

Do you, by any chance, work for the ESB, or are you a liquidator, a pawnbroker or a repo man?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

kpbdublin wrote: »
    Do you, by any chance, work for the ESB, or are you a liquidator, a pawnbroker or a repo man?

my guess is hired goon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    2 bedroom Houses in Finglas two years ago were priced at 400k now the same houses are priced at 250k

I see the price drop but I wouldnt pay that kind of money for a 2 bedroom house. The prices are still sky high. I dont see anyone in a right state of mind buying a house when house prices are going to drop even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 reallyo'reilly

SJPRogue wrote: »
    Ok, so this isn't a problem, or even an issue, but for me the celtic tiger sucked. they must have been the worst years of my life financially, personally, socially... in just about every way. the celtic tiger for me will be remembered as a time of hardship.

Since about a year ago though, things have just been on the up & up, including on the money side of things.

Don't get me wrong, many of my friends & family are feeling it badly now. quite a few have been made redundant or have had to absorb massive paycuts, so I'm not here with my tongue out going "naa na nana na", but is anyone else out there doing better in the recession than in the roaring tiger years?

i'm doing your wife.

hows that for recession busting.

Advertisement