Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only 1 doing better in the recession?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Ok, so this isn't a problem, or even an issue, but for me the celtic tiger sucked. they must have been the worst years of my life financially, personally, socially... in just about every way. the celtic tiger for me will be remembered as a time of hardship.

Since about a year ago though, things have just been on the up & up, including on the money side of things.

Don't get me wrong, many of my friends & family are feeling it badly now. quite a few have been made redundant or have had to absorb massive paycuts, so I'm not here with my tongue out going "naa na nana na", but is anyone else out there doing better in the recession than in the roaring tiger years?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭sardineta

Bully for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

A very thinly veiled "look at me doing so well" thread. I do agree with you though, this isn't a personal issue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Not a PI.
    Moving to AH.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

SJPRogue this as you point out is not a personal issue. I'd love to know at what point in your head you thought this was the appropriate forum for this. Please read the charter of this forum before posting again.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

SJPRogue wrote: »
    Since about a year ago though, things have just been on the up & up, including on the money side of things.

Don't get me wrong, many of my friends & family are feeling it badly now. quite a few have been made redundant or have had to absorb massive paycuts, so I'm not here with my tongue out going "naa na nana na", but is anyone else out there doing better in the recession than in the roaring tiger years?

Lets hope you share some of your luck with your family, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Thats nice for you....

Here, is there any chance of a loan of €50 til friday?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Well the cost of living is going down and those of us in a job with a demand for people i.e. IT are looking OK. Personally speaking I never profited majorly from the Celtic Tiger. I wasn't old enough to have enough experience to be on the big wages so for the moment things are looking reasonably good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I'm doing better, but that's because i'm fucking awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

so can we sponge money off the OP or wha? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

No. Get over yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Do you by any chance work as a repo-man to be doing so much better these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

People will always need hookers, I guess. Even more so, when they're feeling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Slightly - but only because I was lucky to have changed to a tracker mortgage last year - at just the right time - so the interest rates have dropped a bit for me.

The celtic tiger did nothing for me either, so now I'm able to cope where as the past few years it's been a financial struggle. So don't attack original poster for opening statement. If lucky enough to be in a job - if lucky enough to experience the interest rates dropping - and if sensible enough to shop wisely, so as to benefit from supermarket price wars - then life can be OK.

But I'm from an era where we all had to emigrate in the 80's and I worked over-seas for 11 years, so I've learned how to economise over the years/ decades. These cycles just repeat constantly. Having experienced unemployment several times over the years one of the best ways to keep your confidence up is get involved in a voluntary organisation. It may open other doors for you. Younger Boards members will have never experienced recession times before. It's tough but you've got to be positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Judes wrote: »
    Slightly - but only because I was lucky to have changed to a tracker mortgage last year

So eh..... you actually know what one is then, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

OPs spot on on this one,Im doing better now then I did when the so called Celtic Tiger was in full effect,they were brutal years for me,dole queue and sh*tty jobs,and in the general area as a whole was worse off as it was before the Celtic Tiger and still is,I think the only people to benefit from the Celtic tiger were the rich middle classes,working class people are in the same boat they were always in,poor

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

I'm only in my early 20s and its amazing to see the impact a recession has on people.Its terrible to see people lose their jobs and I am so grateful I still have mine and that im doing well. I switched jobs back in august and im so lucky I did because once January came my old employer would have found some way to let me go.
    I'm very competent at what I do now and the people I work with and my managers really respect me, which is something I never really experienced since I started working and I have been told that my job is 100% safe. I'm up for promotion, my rent is going down in a couple months, the cars nearly paid off and as a previous poster said, once you know how to shop properly you dont feel the pinch as much.
    I will hopefully have enough savings next year to buy a decent sized house at a fraction of the cost compared to a few years ago. So in a way this recession is helping me to set myself up for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

sadista wrote: »
    I'm only in my early 20s and its amazing to see the impact a recession has on people.Its terrible to see people lose their jobs and I am so grateful I still have mine and that im doing well. I switched jobs back in august and im so lucky I did because once January came my old employer would have found some way to let me go.
    I'm very competent at what I do now and the people I work with and my managers really respect me, which is something I never really experienced since I started working and I have been told that my job is 100% safe. I'm up for promotion, my rent is going down in a couple months, the cars nearly paid off and as a previous poster said, once you know how to shop properly you dont feel the pinch as much.
    I will hopefully have enough savings next year to buy a decent sized house at a fraction of the cost compared to a few years ago. So in a way this recession is helping me to set myself up for life.

I think that's brilliant.
    It's great to read some positive posts, so much better than all the doom and gloom.
    Hope it picks up for those not as fortunate soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

You weren't doing badly because of the celtic tiger, and you're not doing well because of the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

I know some people are gonna hate me for saying this but for me it really could not have come at a better time. A few years ago I would never have imagined Id be able to afford a nice house at such a cheap price but now its looking like a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I graduated from college and landed right into theeh thick of the R word (was also born into the last one), so I dont have any real experience of the 'good times'.
    Yeah, Im gonna be hard as nails when Im an old git and constantly remind my kids about how easy theyve got it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

I'm flying to. Just got a big wage increase.

Everything is going sweetly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

tbh the cost of living is coming down as well as petrol and energy costs. For those that are lucky enough to keep jobs during this recession, things will become financially easier

For those that can't keep their jobs then I realy do offer 100% sympathy. It's an extremly hard time and there are many posts on PI that would bring tears to anyones' eyes. It really is genuinely hard for some people. I'm not well off but I am a bit more secure these days, and can get through this recession but i'm not going to go on about it because I think that it's a bit much when others are not doing so well

Personally though I think most of the recession only exists in the eyes of the media and we're just seeing one side of things (mainly a negative one) but everyone knows that lol. Plus I also think that banks refusing loans and credit is mostly a good thing. They're saving us from ourselves in the long run. Most people will therefore emerge from the recession a little better because of it. I know if I was given credit i'd be about 5k worse off now and when things pick up i'll be really greatful that I don't have that over my head

So I think it's fairly give and take. Some people will find themselves better off. some people will be hit very hard.

Thankfully there are plently of forums and support here with some people in similar circuimstances here on boards. Its good to see that we're not all alone in this and theat we can always talk to someone. It's a nice thing to see

Sorry for the long post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Houses are going for nothing,there giving away mortgages and fianiaces for cars,all because I have a permanant full time job,everything is cheaper,all hail the recession

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ah but wait until the next budget - we've been treated far too softly so far (relative to our debt) and we're really going to be hit hard on taxes, etc. over the next few years. It's the beginning of the end (of the good times)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Houses are going for nothing,there giving away mortgages and fianiaces for cars,all because I have a permanant full time job,everything is cheaper,all hail the recession

From what Ive heard mortgages are harder to get now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

The recession is over for me thanks to paddypower.com! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rory123 wrote: »
    The recession is over for me thanks to paddypower.com! :cool:

Do they pay you that much for advertising them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

When on a low and fixed income a recession leading to a reduction in the cost of living is actually welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Financially, I'm doing pretty much the same now as I was a few years ago. Better in fact, had my last payrise in 2007 (pay freeze since then). I still live at home so pay feck all rent; my car repayments are still the same; petrol is cheaper; food is beginning to come down in price as are clothes in some places. I've started tightening my purse strings a lot more though, because I'm not 100% confident in my job security :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

stovelid wrote: »
    Do they pay you that much for advertising them?
    No. They don't pay me anything at all for advertising! :mad:

Coca-Cola. You want some.

Advertisement