Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV Work thread - What Industries Are Still Booming Down Here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Doc wrote: »
    There would be very different regulations here pertaining to fire safety with a lot of it to do with bush fire regulations.

What I study only concerns the building fabric and means of escape from them. Regulations will differ from country to country but the basics are much the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭ObviouslyJesus

I will be arriving Paddys weekend in Perth. im a part qualified accountant and will be looking for work upon arrival. what are the best recruitment consultants in the area? i will be looking to take on a role where sponsorship is a possibility. i have my updated cv and cover letter prepared,just need to find out who to target

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Hi all.

Just wondering - how's the IT industry doing? Which areas are best to look for a job?

I have a few years experience in software testing.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Just wondering - how's the IT industry doing? Which areas are best to look for a job?

I have a few years experience in software testing.

Thanks in advance.

Still booming as far as I can see, I work in IT-finance and there is still plenty of work, though I am a developer rather than tester.

If you get to sydney pm me and I can send on your CV to our testing team

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Check out seek.com.au

IT seams good at the moment but it all really comes doen to experience and visa status, im a sys admin on a 457 but im stuck in this company now.
    A skilled migration visa would have been a much better option if i had known about it before i came over. But they take a good while to some through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

Is a skilled migration VISA not about 7K in cost, fair outlay without a secured job

hussey wrote: »
    Still booming as far as I can see, I work in IT-finance and there is still plenty of work, though I am a developer rather than tester.

If you get to sydney pm me and I can send on your CV to our testing team

Sound, I'll keep that in mind.

ncit9933 wrote: »
    Is a skilled migration VISA not about 7K in cost, fair outlay without a secured job

Really? 7K?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ncit9933 wrote: »

costs about €2500 for the visa itself but add another €1000 for sundries (Skills assessment, medicals X-ray etc) if you do it yourself.

if you not confident in doing it yourself the an agent is going charge you the same again in fees.

id imagine its between 3-5 grand

here are your options

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-outside.htm

It really depends on whats inportant, you get here with a 457 and stuck there for a min of 2 years or you get here with options and have the freedom to move around and change jobs.
    5 grand will be made up pretty quick with different job prospects, plus companies here know you are tied to them on a 457 and I find you can be a second class employee

• Advertisement

here are your options

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/visa-options-outside.htm

It really depends on whats inportant, you get here with a 457 and stuck there for a min of 2 years or you get here with options and have the freedom to move around and change jobs.
    5 grand will be made up pretty quick with different job prospects, plus companies here know you are tied to them on a 457 and I find you can be a second class employee

Sounds like a 175 is the way to go.
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Really? 7K?
    As far as I remember when I enquired with visafirst it was between 5 and 7k depending on which one

Man visafirst and all them are jokers, playing on peoples unfamiliarity with stuff.
    It can all be done yourself, just like a dole.
    Its like paying your doctor to fill out your medical card form

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Anyone working in IT support have about 4 years exp and a degree no Certs but plaining on doing itil foundation as I hear a lot of company down there are looking for it, is that right?

Coming over on WHV but should be on defacto after a year

Will I have much trouble in my first year and any ideas what kind of salary I could expect?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 IlCapitano

Hi,
    I'm headin to Oz at the end of June.Booking my flight this week hopefully.I'm just wondering about the work situation there at the minute.I've heard conflicting reports from people I know who are already there.Some seem to be having no trouble getting work whilst others are quite the opposite.I have heard that alot of the construction work is drying up.I can't wait to go but as I'm a bit of a worrier,I am concerned that I won't be able to find work.I am willing to work at anything really.And I don't mind the thought of doing plenty of seasonal/regional work if I can't find anything in the cities..Should I be concerned?How are people finding it down there at the minute work wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

here are your options

How long are you tied to the employer for? I was under the impression (from my limited knowledge) that you could move on to another employer who is willing to sponsor you as long as you did it within a certain time frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'll just leave this here:
    Bricklayer wanted :rolleyes:
    http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/joondalup-area/tradesmen-labour/bricklayer-/1000009864

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Obviously the Irish have made an impression on him. :D
    Just looking at the wages...$250 a day. Oz economy is fairly heated, especially with the dollar so strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The add states from Perth

Bricklayer needed start ASAP $250 a day no part time workers and NO IRISH This ad was posted with Gumtree mobile app.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

The_B_Man wrote: »

Pretty sure that is against the law. Sounds like a charming guy to work for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Sorry guys for being a killjoy - although it is amusing, don't think it's really appropriate post up his personal details (despite being extremely easy to find), and plot 4chan style to bring him down

anyway ... I'll have a chat with other mods, if all okay I'll undelete the posts ...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hussey wrote: »
    Mod Sorry guys for being a killjoy - although it is amusing, don't think it's really appropriate post up his personal details (despite being extremely easy to find), and plot 4chan style to bring him down

anyway ... I'll have a chat with other mods, if all okay I'll undelete the posts ...

Just FYI, nothing I posted was private information.
    It was all made public somewhere. I just joined the dots

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

The_B_Man wrote: »

Wow thats shocking. Do you reckon Gumtree would allow someone to post an ad saying 'No Blacks'?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Not a nice thing to do but people have a right to post up whatever ad they want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well looks this has caught the attention of the mejda back in Ireland.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/advert-that-says-no-irish-need-apply-for-bricklayer-job-in-australia-sparks-outrage-3047010.html

I wonder where they found it first? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jank wrote: »
    Well looks this has caught the attention of the mejda back in Ireland.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/advert-that-says-no-irish-need-apply-for-bricklayer-job-in-australia-sparks-outrage-3047010.html

I wonder where they found it first? ;)
    LOL Indeed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aislingfff

hey guys,

pretty sure i'm posting this in the wrong place in the wrong way but its worth a shot :)

just wondering if anybody could give me any advice whatsoever on the whv topic,,myself and a friend have just decided to get our money together and go for it, only problem is i'm totally lost!"!"! where do I start booking and planning our trip?? is there a broker or agency i can go through?? we are both 19 and neither of us have degrees,, just planning on fruitpicking, bar work,etc, and travelling? ANY info/advice would be great guys,,

Thank you,,:):):)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

aislingfff wrote: »
    hey guys,

pretty sure i'm posting this in the wrong place in the wrong way but its worth a shot :)

just wondering if anybody could give me any advice whatsoever on the whv topic,,myself and a friend have just decided to get our money together and go for it, only problem is i'm totally lost!"!"! where do I start booking and planning our trip?? is there a broker or agency i can go through?? we are both 19 and neither of us have degrees,, just planning on fruitpicking, bar work,etc, and travelling? ANY info/advice would be great guys,,

Thank you,,:):):)

One of the stickied threads on this page has a good bit of good info on the Oz WHV.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056170937

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aislingfff

Thank you cat, that's great, didnt expect to get such a helpful response so quickly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I have been talking to a guy in an engineering company in oz and he asked could i get a 12 month working visa. I am 37 and just graduated. What are my options regarding this?

Advertisement