Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's talk about Carl Sagan!

Options
  • 22-02-2009 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I see Hitchens, Dawkins, and Darwin mentioned here a lot, and for good reason. Feck, even our imaginary friend God gets more mention around here than Sagan. So I was thinking maybe we could get a bit of a "Hail Sagan" thread going.:pac:

I know he is mostly remembered for physics and astronomy, but he was also a fervent atheist.

So, where do I start?... Has anyone here seen his Cosmos series?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I have vague but fond recollections of Cosmos. I read the book not long ago, and althought it has aged in parts it is a great read.

Would anyone agree that "Pale Blue Dot" is the closest thing Atheists have to a prayer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I'd prefer not to use the word prayer, but I know what you mean!

pbd.jpg
    The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.
    -- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Huge fan of Carl Sagan, his books, TV stuff, and corduroy and polo shirt combos!

I have the Cosmos box set on DVD, and never stop going on at people to read that book. :)
    Oh, and "Contact" for me is one of the best SF books ever.

They don't make atheists like they used too. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

'A demon haunted world' was a great book, really enjoyed reading it.

Overblood wrote: »
    I'd prefer not to use the word prayer, but I know what you mean!
    pbd.jpg

Prayer is totally the wrong word!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I haven't read any of Sagan's work (I will some day!), but there's a load of videos on YouTube and I love them :)

This video explained evolution particularly clearly to me:

And this is just a beautiful video that I watch from time to time to put things into perspective :):

If that video above isn't proof of evolution then I dunno what is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Pale Blue Dot is fantastic really. I havent read any of his work either. But I plan on doing so soon.

I hope I don't shatter any illusions by saying this, but did you know that he was an avid pot-smoker? Smoked the stuff till the day he died!

I hope I don't shatter any illusions by saying this, but did you know that he was an avid pot-smoker? Smoked the stuff till the day he died!

Cos that's a sin, right? :pac:

• Advertisement

I know a lot of people think drugs are bad mmkay. Mightn't be too happy if they find out he was a smoker!

I don't want to cheapen the threda, but this is kind of funny::pac:
    The Top 12 Theories Developed by Carl Sagan While Stoned

12. The period of rotation of Pulsar JC9270 totally synchs up with
    the drum solo in In A Gadda Da Vida, man!

11. "Twinkies, Twinkies, little stars; seem so close, yet are so far."

10. The Theory of Munchitivity: At times, peanut butter is more
    valuable than gold

9. The sensor casing from a mass spectrometer makes a handy roach
    clip

8. "Some day, with all of our advances in science and technology,
    we'll be able to land a man on the sun."

7. The Big Bong Theory

6. If you took a hit while travelling at the speed of light, you'd get one
    major rush, dude.

5. Betty Crocker brownies > Duncan Hines brownies

4. "Theory of Joint Relativity": A complex quantum physics equation
    that proves that the more pot you smoke, the slower your
    automobile travels with you at the wheel.

3. Floyd rocks!

2. A single "You Are Here" sign will work EVERYwhere.

and the Number 1 Theory Developed by Carl Sagan While Stoned...

1. Wow, man! There are, like, a LOT of stars. There must be
    *hundreds* of 'em. Maybe even *thousands*. No... millions and
    millions! Wait -- I'm onto something here...

saganuceb0.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

and?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

He was a cool mo'fo'.

redtom wrote: »
    and?

What do you mean "and"?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Indeed, that photo presents a shift in consciousness almost as profound as the observations of Copernicus. Not only does everything not revolve around earth, but even the sun is relatively peripheral in the universal scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Personally I always found this picture more mind expanding than the pale blue dot

thumb-hubble_galaxies.jpg

This is a picture taken by Hubble telescope of a tiny fraction of light in the corner of the night sky. The mind expanding bit comes when we realise that the tiny speck of light is actually a number of galaxy clusters, each with hundreds of galaxies, each with billions of stars, and trillions of planets.

And that is just a tiny speck of light in the night sky.

The pale blue dot I feel is some what misleading because if gives the impression that even far away the Earth is visible, and thus has some sort of relevance. But really when the picture was taken Voyager was not "far away" at all. In the scheme of things it was really really close to Earth.

I think it is important for people to grasp how big the universe really is. Even the observable universe may only be a tiny fraction of that actual size of the universe. The universe is big. It is bigger than we can really imagine.

This spills over into areas such as Creationism when people start talking about Earth and life on Earth as being special in the grand scheme of things, the idea that we must have been put here by something.

That makes sense when the universe extends to the glass sphere surrounding the Earth known as the "heavens", but it loses all plausibility when you look at how big the universe actually is. There are probably billions of planets very similar to Earth that probably have chemical life on them. That is even when one considers life arising as being very very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Wicknight wrote: »
    I think it is important for people to grasp how big the universe really is. Even the observable universe may only be a tiny fraction of that actual size of the universe. The universe is big. It is bigger than we can really imagine.

Space is big. Really big. It might seem a long way to the corner chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space. :D

From "Contact".
    Carl Sagan wrote:
    The universe is a pretty big place. It's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us... seems like an awful waste of space...

Personally I always found this picture more mind expanding than the pale blue dot

Ah that's nothing, the Ultra deep field is way more mind blowing!
    http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/56533main_MM_image_feature_142_jwfull.jpg

I think the subject of Earth in the Pale Blue Dot is far more poignant and physically meaningful than some monstrously huge image of 10,000 galaxies in an area the size of a pea in the night sky however.

Zoomy version here:
    http://www.wikisky.org/?img_source=IMG_all&zoom=13&ra=3.54417&de=-27.7914

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bocha

that looks just like my kitchen worktop! - what if....??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Expected really, since Carl knew better than most the direction this planet is heading in. The best way to understand the paradox that is the conditions for a lot of life in the universe yet the complete lack of any evidence of technologically advanced life is that as a species reaches technological advancement it quickly destroys itself. Earth would seem to be a case in point.

thumb-hubble_galaxies.jpg

Most of these images can be seen here:

http://www.google.com/sky/

Specifically if you look at the Aegis Survey, covering a minuscule part of the nights sky and reckoned to show at least 50,000 Galaxies.

I think the issue Carl had was how do you get people to understand something as large as the Universe. It's uncomprehendable. I think once you get past a certain scale you stop being able to visualize it. Most people would go through the majority of their life without spending a passing moment thinking about how they are on a tiny hunk of rock hurtling through a vast expansive void that could easily be destroyed in an instance. They are not aware that their position in the universe is constantly moving as the earth rotates and as it orbits the sun.

I think once you understand not only our own insignificance, but also the insignificance of our Sun, or our solar system or even our galaxy that you start to see how arrogant it is for humans to imagine that they are so important in the scheme of things that they can get on their knees and pray and that some God who created all this, spends all his times reworking the world to keep us happy, putting us through trials to test our faith and keeping a record of our sexual activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

In terms of perspective, I quite like this vid:

It helps you get the scale thing in your head, though of course the space between and the sheer number of stars is a whole other brain melter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

In terms of perspective, I quite like this vid:

I love that vid as well. My 6 year old won't let a day go by without having watched it at least once!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

5uspect wrote: »
    http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/56533main_MM_image_feature_142_jwfull.jpg
    It'll have to go.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

AH: Wow...:eek:

Douglas Adams told me we orbited a middle-sized star!

MrPudding wrote: »
    It'll have to go.
    Initially I though Mad Hatter had got that reference before me (above)! I thought that's just not Krikket. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Dades wrote: »
    that's just not Krikket. ;)

*groan*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I see Hitchens, Dawkins, and Darwin mentioned here a lot, and for good reason. Feck, even our imaginary friend God gets more mention around here than Sagan. So I was thinking maybe we could get a bit of a "Hail Sagan" thread going.:pac:

I know he is mostly remembered for physics and astronomy, but he was also a fervent atheist.

So, where do I start?... Has anyone here seen his Cosmos series?

I've read Billions and Billions and Daemon Haunted World. The former beats the later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

unreal.=)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Sagan I admire a lot but not for the reasons most people would think.

The man was clearly smart and intelligent, I grant him that, but he did not have a whole lot of original ideas of his own. He will never be an Einstein or a Newton.

What he achieved was much more important in my view however. Science progresses despite lack of interest and knowledge. Geniuses like Darwin for example reached their conclusions DESPITE the ignorance of the time.

We can respect Darwin for this and I really do, but the dynamic is all wrong. People should be reaching these conclusions because of the general knowledge of the time not despite of it.

What Sagan did was therefore more important than anything Einstein, Darwin or Newton ever did because in a world of Sagans what those scientists did would have been easier.

What did he do?

He interpreted science…. Read it…. Learned it….. understood it.... and then articulated it in a form that the general public could swallow. He provided something that the scientific community then AND now completely and depressingly lack…. A voice.

Science is NOTORIOUSLY bad at conveying its ideas to the public. Dawkins talks at length about this failing in many of his talks and Douglas Adams in his writings clearly despaired at this lack in the scientific community. What proof does one need of this but to look at the harm and ignorance perpetuated by the phrase "survival of the fittest"

Peer reviewed papers may be the be all and end all of science but they are boring as f**k to Joe Soap. Sagan made these things interesting, understandable and showed why they actually matter.

When people like Hitchens say things like “How can you look through the Hubble telescope at the vast majesty of the university and turn away from this and stare instead in awe at the burning bush” they may be saying wonderful well articulated things for which we desire to give them credit…. But I feel they are merely borrowing from the legacy Carl Sagan left us.

But proper order and long may they do it.

Advertisement