Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get my ranking up in google

Options
  • 20-02-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

My website is no 4 when one types in "wedding video cork"
    Would love to get it uo to no 1 position.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Web link below

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Is that keyword driving you any traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭notnem

If you give us the site address I'm sure we could give you some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

notnem wrote: »
    If you give us the site address I'm sure we could give you some help.

I assume its this one ? http://www.ashmoreproductions.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

yes that is my site.Wedding video cork is bringing in traffic.

Your site is stuffed with keywords which is a no no. You also have hidden text which is a massive problem. Do you actually offer wedding videos in all of these counties?

Your site needs to be cleaned up - plenty of advice on this forum - but right now you are lucky to be still indexed by Google. First things are to remove the hidden text, and put in proper meta tags that are not stuffed with keywords.

If I was you I'd be looking at adding information sections related to the counties you cover. A page about the areas in Cork you cover, sample videos of wedding videos in Cork etc. Same could work for other counties and all of a sudden you could be ranking much better for lots of areas while also providing useful info to your visitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

i think it's based on internet traffic

Your site is stuffed with keywords which is a no no. You also have hidden text which is a massive problem. Do you actually offer wedding videos in all of these counties?

Your site needs to be cleaned up - plenty of advice on this forum - but right now you are lucky to be still indexed by Google. First things are to remove the hidden text, and put in proper meta tags that are not stuffed with keywords.

If I was you I'd be looking at adding information sections related to the counties you cover. A page about the areas in Cork you cover, sample videos of wedding videos in Cork etc. Same could work for other counties and all of a sudden you could be ranking much better for lots of areas while also providing useful info to your visitors.
    Well spotted on the hidden text.
    I Cover Cork ,which I live in and from Laois/Offaly area,so I work up there also.In reality I will travel for work.
    If you could look at my competitors in "wedding video cork" and see how they got up ahead of me,I'd appreciate it.

Kenno90 is correct,based on internet traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

you'll get blacklisted by google due to the hidden text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭TechieEddy

Don't try and trick Google. It won't work. Believe me I tried :)

I couldn't visit your site today to give you some analysis. Have a look at your site and see what is going on becaue if I'm having this issue so are lots of other people.

Rankings in Google is down to relevance and authority. You become relevent by adding useful content to your site related to a particular topic, and you gain authority through links.

This explains it much better than I ever could:
    Relevance at its most basic level, involves the quality of your content for the topic you are looking to target, and how well-optimized (or search engine friendly) it is. This is also referred to as content optimization or "on-page optimization". There are a lot of techniques for creating quality content and for on-page optimization, but for now you just need know that Relevance is based on content.

Authority involves how many sites are linking to your content. Search engines see links as editorial votes for a site, and to them, when one site links to another site, it's essentially saying "Yeah, I vouch for that site. It's cool." (Other factors can include the quality of the sites linking to yours and whether those sites are on the same or similar topics, but all you need to remember is that Authority is based on inbound links.)
    Last time I looked at your site you had red flags all over it and you were not particularity related to Cork wedding videos due to the amount of additional text you had clouding your subject, lists of counties etc. Any SEO with even begininers knowledge wouldn't link to your site in its current format because it has a high chance of being banned by Google, so you can't build authority.

I think this is your best bet for an approach, or talk to a SEO and see if they can help:

The competitor you mentioned in 1st place for your term is on the other hand giving his readers something to get excited over:
    The Big Brother style "Video Couch" has proved a major hit at weddings since it's introduction and a late finishing time of 11pm means generous coverage of your evenings entertainment.
    Meanwhile your homepage talks about a mission statement and broadcast quality equipment and mentions numerous events and a video that moves you. I hope you take this as constructive criticism (as it is meant), but I really don't think somebody visiting your site would actually know what it is about or would read it.

You have Google Analytics installed, so a high bounce rate could be an indicator I'm right.

• Advertisement

Hidden text removed.Different text on the front page.
    Feedback would be appreciated.

Next up for editing is the meta tags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Plenty…!

You are still stuffing the keywords - stop

Begin with the 'sale'

Have an actual look at the search engine results for that keyword phrase (JPEG attached) – the sites above you are ‘selling’ or enticing the searcher to click through – your are not. You site description is a jumble of phrases – not a structured sentence or sales pitch.

The person is looking (intent) for ‘wedding videos cork’ - that person wants to find a description that says (effectively) – here it is - just what you are looking for – we are the answer to ‘wedding videos cork’.

Page titles –I appreciate that you have built the business – but Ashmore

Productions is not what they are looking for. Make the prominent titles – Wedding Videos Cork (of DVD – or whatever), but utilise that space better.

Do yourself on favour (or us really) have the punters opt in to the video, as opposed to it auto play – that just a personal opinion.

Cleaned up the meta content this morning.
    Should do better in google.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gypsy777

If you want to improve your ranking then you need to get some one way back links to your site that anchor the term you want to rank for ie. in this case wedding video cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

texanman wrote: »
    Web link below

I see it's number 2 now. Well done. Changing your homepage title to 'Wedding Videos Cork' (or else having that phrase somewhere - preferably first - in your page title complete) and removing that list of counties would help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭fergal_d

Web link below

dude who the hell designed that site for you ???

You need to fix the on page SEO. Your <h1> - <h4> tags should contain your keywords

Your keyword should be on your site 2-4% .

Any pictures you have on it should be named as your keyword...

you should have your keyword in <b> tags at least twice on your site

Then you need to build backlinks to it... You can do that free at "free traffic system" or paid at linkVana

here is a tutorial of "free traffic system" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyztWgBd7Wc

- If you do these simply changes you will be number 1 with in 1-2 weeks...

Thanks Cornee. Got a good few back links up now.Google pagerank now 2.Looking to get it up to 3.

Hi Fergal
    You can check the number of backlinks I have .I have it on a lot of hotel sites which have a high pagerank.
    With the term "wedding video" Im no 6. And looking to get to no 1 for "wedding video cork".
    I'll make those changes and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think you may still have too many words in your page titles? I've read that it's recommended to keep it under 70 characters, and the page description 150 charaters. It means google wont have the ... cut off in your title/description and will rank the first 70/150 charaters higher as far as I'm aware. It takes A LOT of thought to squeeze the best 70/150 words in for each page though!

Ah Fergal, I've been trying for the last 10 mins to post this comment on your vid but it never worked, I'll post it here as it may be of use to others too, if you could lettuce know that'd be great :)

Thanks for the video. Just on the blog thingy, where you said it needs to be wordpress and a dot com, my site is dot ie, however I also have mysite dot com redirecting to the dot ie, what way should I set up a blog through wordpress could you tell me?

Could you also explain what the spin tags do?

I'm not even sure what backlinks are. Are they different from normal links to my site? What way do they help?

Would appreciate any feedback :)

• Advertisement

Fergal_d and Corrie ,did a bit of work on my site.If You could have a look,would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Hi I do a lot of SEO work and there is a very handy free site to check your metatags against what is considered best practice

http://www.seocentro.com/tools/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html

Here is the report for your site.

Keywords:Keywords meta tag is too long.
    This tag contains 827 characters. This is too many for what we would consider a 'robot friendly' keywords tag. The maximum number of characters we recommend for this tag is 500.
    Keywords meta tag contains too many keywords.
    This tag contains 34 keywords. This is too many for what we would consider a 'robot friendly' keywords tag. The maximum number of keywords we recommend for this tag is 20.
    Keywords meta tag relevancy to page content is fair.
    The keywords meta tag relevancy to page content is 56%.

If you specify a keyword then that word must be on that page - get your relevency to 100% by removing keywords and adding content to the page with those remaining keywords in it.

Another handy tip is to look at googles cached version of your page in the search results and it will hilight where you match the search phrase.

Coyote1 from Coyote Consultancy lots of free info on seo on my site :)

Fergal_d and Corrie ,did a bit of work on my site.If You could have a look,would be appreciated.

PM'd

Does anyone know why the IEDR don't list the domain expiry on the whois? Apparently Google and the likes look for this and the longer your domain is registered, the better it is for your ranking as it sees it as a more "stable" site.

Could someone also explain the Google Page Rank system briefly to me aswell please? Is 6 the maximum you can get? How good is a ranking of 3 and how far would one have to go to get from 3 to 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

LOL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭jmcc

cormie wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the IEDR don't list the domain expiry on the whois? Apparently Google and the likes look for this and the longer your domain is registered, the better it is for your ranking as it sees it as a more "stable" site.
    That may apply to com/net/org websites but Google still has problems with ccTLD sites and domains. Much of this dates back to the publication of Google's patent on using the age of a domain. Given the way that PR was transferred seamlessly on some high profile .ie drops and reregistrations, I think Google may still have problems. If you need to check the history of .ie domains, you can use HosterStats as it has the hosting history (new/deleted/transferred) for the domains in the major TLDs (including .ie) back to 2000.

Regards...jmcc

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    LOL :)

excellent addition to the topic... :rolleyes:

And I think you will find I am right... Maybe you should read the thread in full before you post childish replys...

OP is at #4 now... Those simple changes would have him at 1 in a few weeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

fergal_d wrote: »
    Your keyword should be on your site 2-4% .

Any pictures you have on it should be named as your keyword...

I disagree with these 3 comments. Firstly, there is no 'magic' number for keyword density - the important point is that it reads naturally.

Secondly, the file name and ALT text should describe, and be relevant to, the image content - it should not be a replicated keyword across numerous images.

Thirdly, you cannot just say "you will be number 1 with in 1-2 weeks", it's simply untrue. If you'd said "you might be number 1 with in 1-2 weeks" then that's another story. There are so many other factors to be taken into consideration, such as trust, saturation, link popularity and reputation etc (momentsvideo is 4 years older)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

Could someone also explain the Google Page Rank system briefly to me aswell please? Is 6 the maximum you can get? How good is a ranking of 3 and how far would one have to go to get from 3 to 6?

Depending on how deep you want to get into it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank

It's a scale from 1 to 10 based on the over 200 factors Google's uses to determine a site's "worth". Google itself has a PR of 9.

From experience, I think it's probably fair to say it gets more difficult for your site's PR to move up the higher you get up the scale (eg. easier to get from PR2 to PR3 than it is to get from PR5 to PR6).

• Advertisement

Don't bother with Page Rank. The number we see is way out of date. You don't need a particular PR to rank for a term. Focus on adding good content and getting links.

Advertisement