Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general IQ of FIFA'09 players - not so high

Options
  • 20-02-2009 2:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or are the vast majority of FIFA players on Xbox live complete twats?

I beat some guy 3-0, he was Barcelona and I was Schalke.... didn't have any fouls, get any cards, and skipped my 3 celebrations, and I didn't do any tricks using the stick. He sent me a message saying, "Way 2 b f@ggot" (which I presume means, "Way to be a f@ggot" :rolleyes:). So winning games as a rubbish team against the best team in the game (arguably), is being a f@ggot? Hmmm...not so smart.

I had a lad quit on me the other day, 5th in a row. So I sent him a message asking why he quit. He sent back "Coz u cheatin" (which I presume means "Because you were cheating"). How exactly was I cheating? Did I have a custom team with Messi, Ronaldo and friends? No, I was bloody useless Schalke against Inter Milan. I hadn't any fouls, or any cards, and wasn't doing tricks. Hmmm...not so smart.

Just the amount of quitting is unbelievable. Why dont EA make it harder to quit a game? Like forcing the guy to turn off his xbox to quit, rather than just choosing the quit option and going back to the arena where he's free to start a new game, no questions asked. Load of crap. If you quit a game, you should have a 10-0 loss, and you should be forced to turn off your 360 and wait for the game to load from the dashboard as a penalty, if you insist on being a twat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

That would actually be brilliant if they had to turn off their Xbox as a punishment for quitting early. Wishful thinking but would be great nonetheless!

P.S. That Schalke have a pretty pacy front line, they're not that bad! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

While I agree with everything you say you have to remember that there's an awful lot of players playing FIFA online that are probably under the age of 16. They don't know how to lose gracefully.

Spoiled little brats!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

My experience of Fifa 09 is that EVERYONE choses Man Yoo! :(
    Would they ever just get an imagination and try something different!

Yep, there's a lot of Utd fans out there. I find the best games are played against people on your friends list. We tend to play one game where you pick a strong team then play with someone you would'nt usually use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There are a lot of complete twats on the internet full stop. Look at a lot of message boards and YouTube comments for example.

On the subject of everyone picking one team - all players want to win...or it is less fun! If you are different, fair play to you! And you are getting better all the time because you know exactly what these Man U players will be doing and you can prevent them from succeeding - they won't have a plan B. The only way to get games with random teams / different teams / a mix of teams is to play players you know really or have added as friends...

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

All I have to say is "God damn French!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Playing with United all the time isn't good either. You know, I dont like the guys who think they are great because they beat you with United when you are a pretty sh!te team. I've played at very, very least 60 games as Schalke, it gives you an appreciation of how to defend better, and how to put attacks together, because if you dont you are basically screwed. Now tonight I went back to playing ranked games as United and I'm 200% better than I was before. Now I've got decent defending, can put move together, don't take positioning for granted, and now with strong players who pace too, its a really good mix.

I def recommend taking a four and a half, or four star side like Bremen, Porto, and even just playing a load of unranked games. Your forced to get better when your playing better sides, or you'll constant get hammered. Then go back and play as the big teams and you should have a higher win %.

I do agree that there are loads of twats online fullstop though. Just look at the unintelligable YouTube comments, or the comments on setantasports news stories online, which is full of "Man Yoo Sux, worst team in the world, Liverpool for the title, Torres and Keane to score 50 goals each this season" blah, blah. Maybe its the average football......

I asked one lad there earlier why he quit and he sent back "FCK OFF AND DIE YOU FCKING DIRTY MANC ****". Its like, ah now, relax there, I only asked you why you quit.....should have sent him back a link to some anger management course online or something....

I really enjoy the games where you know, you pick like Celtic and the other guy picks Rangers, or I pick Porto and he picks Portsmouth, or Atletico vs Roma even.... or something like that. United - Inter, United - Barca can get boring after the 50th game in a row.

I picked Sheffield Wednesday once, and some twat went ahead and picked Barce-f'n-lona. I mean, come ffs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Wow, you really have issues dude!!

Yeah there're a lot of twats out there, but how many years have you been playing football games online? You should well be used to it by now, it's just the way things are and it's not going to change, just think of it as you're too good for them, and let them be baby's in their prams!!

But it's always good to get a game against two 4/4.5 star teams and getting a few good games against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I had Sligo Rovers set as my main team for a while and now and again you would get a player who would head for the lower divisions. It always makes for a great game if someone goes for the -3 star team. But more often than not people would take UTD or Barca. I had a mate over one night and someone picked Brazil over our joint effort with Rovers, we were up 1-0 got a peno in the second half and he quit. Of course I hit the back button to fast and ended up with loosing stats.

I usually pick UD Almeria as they are my Spanish team because a home of mine is situated in the Costa de Almeria, and I pick them because I see them as a departure and a fair pick for anybody else. But when I resort to picking my beloved United and end up beating my opponents (mostly playing as good strong teams) they always go saying "stop picking Man Yoo"... Whinge Whinge Whinge! And I'm like, why? And they say I only pick them because they're a great team! This really annoys me so I say I support United, then they claim you're only making excuses!!! Like seriously, I'm sure this bother plenty of other supporters, Y2J, did that happen to you?

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    I usually pick UD Almeria as they are my Spanish team because a home of mine is situated in the Costa de Almeria, and I pick them because I see them as a departure and a fair pick for anybody else. But when I resort to picking my beloved United and end up beating my opponents (mostly playing as good strong teams) they always go saying "stop picking Man Yoo"... Whinge Whinge Whinge! And I'm like, why? And they say I only pick them because they're a great team! This really annoys me so I say I support United, then they claim you're only making excuses!!! Like seriously, I'm sure this bother plenty of other supporters, Y2J, did that happen to you?

Hasn't happened me very often, but instead...you see most times they see my fav team is United in the game, and that my gamertag has MUFC in it, and they quit straight away thinking I'm going to pick them. Without even giving me a chance to scroll to Schalke...

Another annoyance I find, is that if you pick a team, and then the person scrolls to the same team. They are another 200 teams in the game, why do you have to pick the same bloody one as I do. Bah

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

some people say it is cheating when....
    The other person runs down the wing and cuts it back from the byline just outside the box.............for the whole match.

i am inclined to agree the above ruins the game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Although Fifa09 has converted a lot of pro evo fans, its fan base in the past (I would guess) would consist of a lot of younger/casual gamers. I think this is why a lot of them seem to be a bit thick. I definitely agree about the quitting though. It should be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

I was reading on eafootballworld . com that these guys who quit all the time ARE being punsihed now, which is great. About time something was done, for example, I was beat by Utd 6-0 last night and I took it, watched every celebration etc, did the right thing. The very next game Im playin some other guy, go 2-0 up and he quits. Sick.

Anyways, to elaborate on the punishment.... Each player on FIFA live has a profile, within this profile you have a DNF% (Did Not Finish). So everytime someone quits, this percentage will rise, which I think means that they cant enter certain online tourneys and stuff.

Also, on the whole picking lesser teams business. I'll always go for a lower ranked team if the other player is doing the same, cos it does make for a great game most of the time. You have to work that little bit harder for your breaks. But then again, my team are Spurs, so I have to work hard anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    "Torres and Keane to score 50 goals each this season"

Whats wrong with that comment???? Oh wait......:eek:

The other person runs down the wing and cuts it back from the byline just outside the box.............for the whole match.

I dont see a problem with this..if you know what he's going to do its easy to counteract it.

My biggest peeve, (excluding quitting), is people using custom teams. A spasticated donkey could win a game with Messi, Ronaldo, Torres, etc. You may have a great record, but your playing ability is zero. Nothing. (as Scolari might say!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I really don't see the big deal about people quitting. It's not like you're going to get some great amount of satisfaction from the final whistle in a video game, particularly when your holding a commanding lead and it counts as a win anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Please please please tell me you're joking

The cutback thing was more of a problem with Pro Evo. You could do it and score I'd say about 90% of the time. It's not a problem in FIFA. I've rarely conceded from one.

I never had a problem with either doing it or others doing it in Pro Evo. Don't play it anymore anyways cos it's gone down hill big style!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Please please please tell me you're joking

I have to agree, in PES6 it was a big deal, somehow I dont think you would get away with that v Richie or any of the other top players here for very long no matter what team you are using.

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Although Fifa09 has converted a lot of pro evo fans, its fan base in the past (I would guess) would consist of a lot of younger/casual gamers. I think this is why a lot of them seem to be a bit thick. I definitely agree about the quitting though. It should be punished.
    Well running down the wing & cutting back is only effective in PES...

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I really don't see the big deal about people quitting. It's not like you're going to get some great amount of satisfaction from the final whistle in a video game, particularly when your holding a commanding lead and it counts as a win anyway

With all due respect, thats the biggest load of c0ck I've read in quite a while...Sure, lets all quit whenever we lose a goal, and we'll never have any online play ever so. :rolleyes:

ie: Finish the game, instead of quitting like a b!tch (not you specifically - in general - before you take offense) just because you happen to be losing. Sure lets all run away like little girls because we are losing. Wheeey. Wouldn't that be fantastically fun for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Is it just me, or are the vast majority of FIFA players on Xbox live complete twats?

I beat some guy 3-0, he was Barcelona and I was Schalke.... didn't have any fouls, get any cards, and skipped my 3 celebrations, and I didn't do any tricks using the stick. He sent me a message saying, "Way 2 b f@ggot" (which I presume means, "Way to be a f@ggot" :rolleyes:). So winning games as a rubbish team against the best team in the game (arguably), is being a f@ggot? Hmmm...not so smart.

I had a lad quit on me the other day, 5th in a row. So I sent him a message asking why he quit. He sent back "Coz u cheatin" (which I presume means "Because you were cheating"). How exactly was I cheating? Did I have a custom team with Messi, Ronaldo and friends? No, I was bloody useless Schalke against Inter Milan. I hadn't any fouls, or any cards, and wasn't doing tricks. Hmmm...not so smart.

Just the amount of quitting is unbelievable. Why dont EA make it harder to quit a game? Like forcing the guy to turn off his xbox to quit, rather than just choosing the quit option and going back to the arena where he's free to start a new game, no questions asked. Load of crap. If you quit a game, you should have a 10-0 loss, and you should be forced to turn off your 360 and wait for the game to load from the dashboard as a penalty, if you insist on being a twat.

I agree whoever's fault for game finishing (even if it turns out to be a bad connection) should pay the price - the games ending due to bad connection should balance itself out reasonably although obviously it would mean you would need an excellent connection to get a high ranking - then again most people who play the game need an excellent connection anyway.

Alternatively, how about they can't start another game till they finish the original one, assuming you are still online, so the game is stored temporarily in its current state until the game resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

With all due respect, thats the biggest load of c0ck I've read in quite a while...Sure, lets all quit whenever we lose a goal, and we'll never have any online play ever so. :rolleyes:

ie: Finish the game, instead of quitting like a b!tch (not you specifically - in general - before you take offense) just because you happen to be losing. Sure lets all run away like little girls because we are losing. Wheeey. Wouldn't that be fantastically fun for everyone.

here here. If someone quits with 20 game minutes to go, the game doesnt feel finished, regardless of the score. Who knows...you might even score a couple of goals and nick a win ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You get the win when someone quits so I don't really care if they quit or not.

SantryRed wrote: »
    You get the win when someone quits so I don't really care if they quit or not.

You do get the win, but when I'm playing online, I like to play online. I don't want to spent as much time looking for games/the "the connection with your opponent has been lost" screen, as I do playing the game.

If you aren't prepared to lose, then you shouldn't play the game, IMO. Winning and losing is part and parcel of any game.

People quitting unranked matches especially annoys me. You don't get the win, but the person is too much of a b!tch to see out his loss. Bad form if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Well ive consistently picked Liverpool out of over 200 games ive played id say ive picked 4 other teams. To be honest I dont think its as bad as someone constantly picking United or Barca but Im going to start playing with lesser teams....some day :P

As for quitting yep its really annoying and somehow submitting the avoid player doesnt do it justice. And for some reason its more often than not people who pick United that end up quitting. :cool:

Thats why I think the boards league is a great idea so people join the new qualifying one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

How do you create this custom team thing? I don't even know how. I heard you can only do it in an unranked match or something, so effectivley you dont get any skill points or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

The reason people quit is because they dont care.

Ive been playing FIFA for long enough to know that most people play to win, if they dont they dont want to waste their time. And honestly, i would rather they quit, and **** off.

First FIFA game i played was Champions League 05/06 online, i got absolutley whooped. I bought FIFA 06, i got raped again but one game i lost 6-0 and added the guy to my friends list, played him, learned from him, and never looked back.

I relish competitive FIFA because its people who know the game inside out, going all out to outdo each other, no bull**** or accusations of cheating.

Honestly ranked games kind of make me sick, i think my FIFA 09 record is 6 wins 0 losses because i dont find them fun. But ive played over 200 games online against some of the best players in the world on my friends list and dont want to go back to going 2-0 and thinking "Ahh **** i better take it easy."

• Advertisement

Play me Mikey in a ranked match and you'll lose that streak! ;)

Advertisement