Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guardian angel

Options
  • 20-02-2009 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi there,

I just wanted to see if anyone else out there is interested in or believes in guardian angels?

I do genuinely believe I have one who looks over me for a number of reasons.

The first is that I have had a couple of near death experiences in the last few weeks (at least 3), most recently I was in hospital with a clot in my lung, and I just feel very fortunate and that I have someone who watches over me. Also the other week with the ice my car skidded completely into the lane of oncomming traffic and something spared me from being hit by an oncomming car.

There are also other reasons why I feel I have a guardian angel which I wont go in to, but I have only really noticed this in the last couple of months. It gives me a really happy feeling that I feel someone is looking out for me and I am interested in hearing what others think, do they believe? Do they have any of their own experiences? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bufflefrog

Hi there,

I just wanted to see if anyone else out there is interested in or believes in guardian angels?

The first is that I have had a couple of near death experiences in the last few weeks (at least 3), most recently I was in hospital with a clot in my lung, and I just feel very fortunate and that I have someone who watches over me. Also the other week with the ice my car skidded completely into the lane of oncomming traffic and something spared me from being hit by an oncomming car.

There are also other reasons why I feel I have a guardian angel which I wont go in to, but I have only really noticed this in the last couple of months. It gives me a really happy feeling that I feel someone is looking out for me and I am interested in hearing what others think, do they believe? Do they have any of their own experiences? :)

Wow sounds like your guardian angel is working overtime, haha :)

In my own personal opinion I think I may also have a guardian angel. Like yourself I have had a few near death experiences which I seemed to just glide through, and I was almost at peace when they were happening because I felt someone was waiting there with me.

I actually think I know who my guardian angel is too! My best friend died from leucemia when I was a young teenager but before she died she told me that she would always look out for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No I don't believe that I have or anybody else has a guardian angel. I can see the appeal though.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

happypartygirl, you could try your question in spirituality also.

I would have a belief system which would follow a kind of 'minder' vibe too.:) I dont use the words guardian angel, just cos I never felt it was angels, and the whole angel thing seems to me to be a fashion at the moment. But if an angel works for you, take comfort from that. It is an entirely personal thing, my experience differs, Dave! above has no experience or interest in it at all. So its all subjective. You may never get it validated, but if its comforting for you, then I think thats enough. It is important not to hand your welfare over to some other power completely though. While it is nice to feel cared for, we are still in charge here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 T3h-Slayer

i do believe i have one since i almost died 5-6 times and well... always managed to somehow get out alive. so, if they don't exist, then i wonder what saved me, especially the 2 times i almost drowned, where those who took me out of the water were people who weren't supposed to be around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

While I dont know if I have a guardian angel as such i dont believe in a spirtual guardian that can fiddle with destiny as it pleases.

The idea of a guardian angel is a very romantic idea, which has been helped by hollywood. but you only have to look at those less fortunate in third world countries with little hope for a healthy or happy existence. Do they have guardian angels? It would seem not, from a romantic vision of guardian angels anyway.

I do believe we are watched though, and as Rufus once said, "Your exploits - no matter how inane - are well- known in Heaven. Probably in Hell, too."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭The-Star

We all have a Guardian Angel no matter what religion, belief system or a non believer as I have always seen these beings. Along with your Angels you also have Spirit Guides which have been human or are prepairing to become human in the future. Angels will, nor have ever been human. They appear as very bright beings while the Spirit guides are darker and show themselves as being male or female. I find it so sad that we have these great being with us and so many people do not ask them for help and protection. It a great life when you know how to work the system!:)

The-Star wrote: »
    We all have a Guardian Angel no matter what religion, belief system or a non believer as I have always seen these beings. Along with your Angels you also have Spirit Guides which have been human or are preparing to become human in the future.

I don't.

Sorry but you can't make unsubstantiated factual claims like this and expect it to go unchallenged!

Dave! wrote: »
    I don't.

Sorry but you can't make unsubstantiated factual claims like this and expect it to go unchallenged!
    Im gonna pull up a chair and get some popcorn on this one.

Dave, can you really describe this as a factual claim and ask for substantiation with a straight face? Angels are about belief. The star believes you have one, you believe you dont. I doubt either of you can prove catagorically either way. But it will make for an interesting thread if either of you try. :)

Hi Dave, If you dont believe anything about Angels why are you reading this post? The fact that you are reading and questioning is a good thing. I posted only what I see in my every day work. Wishing you all the best.:)

Oryx wrote: »
    Im gonna pull up a chair and get some popcorn on this one.

Dave, can you really describe this as a factual claim and ask for substantiation with a straight face? Angels are about belief. The star believes you have one, you believe you dont. I doubt either of you can prove catagorically either way. But it will make for an interesting thread if either of you try. :)

I'm just presenting an alternative viewpoint my dear!

The Star is making a binary claim that I have a guardian angel and also a spirit guide, and like you I am drawing attention to the fact that it is an unsubstantiated subjective personal belief... Everyone else acknowledged that it's their belief and that's fine, conversation over, but when you present it as though it is an objective truth I think it should be pointed out.

Just like if someone says "evolution is nonsense", you might take issue with that and show them the error of their ways. If however they say "I believe evolution is nonsense" then it's more benign and you might simply say "okay that's up to you to believe".
    The-Star wrote: »
    Hi Dave, If you dont believe anything about Angels why are you reading this post? The fact that you are reading and questioning is a good thing. I posted only what I see in my every day work. Wishing you all the best.:)

Don't take that tone with me!

That err... pleasant tone :) Thanks for the best wishes!

• Advertisement

I actually agree with the Star, that we do get 'help'. My jury is still out on who or what that is, (and also I have a problem with people who take such beliefs too far and expect angels or such to hand them happiness on a plate) and Ive been around boards long enough to know theres no point stating a belief as a fact in paranormal unless I have time on my hands and the bloody will to knock heads with the more sceptical posters. Which is fun sometimes. :)

@Dave! You called me dear. I shall be happy for the rest of the day. And in the spirit of goodwill felt throughout this thread, I also wish you well.

Your guardian angel says hi, btw.

There's waaayyy too much benevolence in this thread, I am outa here! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭glitter-bug

If you can't take the heat Dave, get off the angel cloud! Whether you call them Angels, guides or voices in your head I believe that there is something or someone there looking out for everyone. Some people just choose to ignore them *cough:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

Hi there,

Wow you were very fortunate i dont know if they are real but if you believe that you have one then good for you.Not that i would close my mind off to the possibilitie that they may be real maybe we all have one i just dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

not to bring down the mood but do people in Chernobyl, the Congo, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Brazilian Flavelas and so have Gaurdian Angels. I can't see how the guardian angels of people starving out in an arid wasteland are doing much good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

i always wondered about Guardian angels and dead relatives watching over people.

Do they close their eyes when you're whacking off or get the dildo out? Or do they just leave the room?

What if you were shagging and the angel didnt want to see a hairy arse thrusting and farting, so left the room. Then the person you were shagging pulled out a knife and killed you with it and no angel around to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

I thought Guardian angles where to help you cope with emotions you are feeling but without making actual decisions for you.

I read that people living in these parts of the world choose these areas to live in, written into the contracts before they were born. My understanding is, that a harder life here gets you more 'brownie' points on the other side. I think some of us were stone drunk when writing out contracts!!!:)

not to bring down the mood but do people in Chernobyl, the Congo, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Brazilian Flavelas and so have Gaurdian Angels. I can't see how the guardian angels of people starving out in an arid wasteland are doing much good.

bobbbb wrote: »
    i always wondered about Guardian angels and dead relatives watching over people.

Do they close their eyes when you're whacking off or get the dildo out? Or do they just leave the room?

What if you were shagging and the angel didnt want to see a hairy arse thrusting and farting, so left the room. Then the person you were shagging pulled out a knife and killed you with it and no angel around to help.

While put rather facetiously, that is a legitimate query IMO.

It raises the question of to what extent do people actually believe there's someone watching over them? I mean, if a 'real' person, even your very best friend, was watching you have sex, then you would no doubt be reluctant to continue. So why is it not the case with whatever other nebulous 'guardian' is watching over you?

Is it a guardian in a metaphorical, almost poetic, sense that most people really believe in, in the same way that perhaps they believe in karma (i.e. not that there is a real force in the universe, but rather that if you treat people well then they will reciprocate) ?

Just some thoughts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Also the other week with the ice my car skidded completely into the lane of oncomming traffic and something spared me from being hit by an oncomming car.

Would the angels time not have been better spent making you drive safely instead of waiting til you skidded. And what about all the cars that do crash. Are the angels on a day off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

T3h-Slayer wrote: »
    i do believe i have one since i almost died 5-6 times and well... always managed to somehow get out alive. so, if they don't exist, then i wonder what saved me, especially the 2 times i almost drowned, where those who took me out of the water were people who weren't supposed to be around.

Could you explain this a bit more please?

What you said there makes it sounds like you believe your guardian angel teleported people to where you were so they could rescue you from drowning, almost as if those people were devices that an angel manipulated and controlled just for you, without a mind of their own.

I think it's a bit disheartening that you would rather thank an imaginary guardian angel instead of the real people that were responsible for saving your life.

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

On the topic of Guardian Angels, has anyone read Lorna Byrne's book ' Angels in my Hair'??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Yes read Lorna Byrne's book...I quite liked it, it's 1 woman's story, not purporting to be anyone else

RE the angels, I, like Oryx,choose to believe that there is a 'minder' type entity around,not necessarily an angel but a benevolent entity that can assist but not make decisions for me

LB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

I would believe we have a helper with us, I believe wheather we call them angels, helpers, guides etc etc its just our preception of what this assistance is. I dont believe they do tell us what to do but can try and influence us within situations, as in give us a better understanding. But at the end of the day we are in control of our own lives and make all the decisions.

I read that book "angels in my hair" and I really like it. It was this womans story and I thought it was like looking through a childs eyes at the world at times.

For those who worry that angels or spirit people watch as they have sex or go to the loo. If they are spirit, and if they know us intimately, they know a lot more about you, inside and out, than what your butt looks like naked. And it doesnt matter to em, them being non corporeal beings and all. Modesty and shame are human inventions.
    Dave! wrote:
    Is it a guardian in a metaphorical, almost poetic, sense that most people really believe in, in the same way that perhaps they believe in karma (i.e. not that there is a real force in the universe, but rather that if you treat people well then they will reciprocate) ?
    A guardian angel thing could be our wish or need for something beyond ourselves, as with religion. You could also believe it to be karmic reward for the good we give out, or an aspect of our higher self that we feel. Who knows? Like all spiritual things, its belief based, youll never create an angelic horde in a lab. So therefore you can only ever philosophise about it, not analyse it.

I dont believe that people who have horrible things happen to them, earn or deserve it. I go with the belief that they choose it (mentioned as contracts above). If this earth is a place to learn lessons, why only ever learn the easy ones?

Ive read that book by Lorna Byrne. It was a gentle read, I thought it was very childlike too. There are references to her learning difficulties in it. Her beliefs are very pure and her faith is solid, which is lovely to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭KieranKennedy

Do all the soldiers who die in wars have guardian angles who look over them as they are killed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Pamela111

Hi there,

Yes we all have at least one guardian angel.

Here is a prayer to invoke your guardian angel:

Angle of God, My Guardian Dear, To Whom God's Love Commits me here, ever this day be at my side, to light and to guard, to love and to guide.

Invoking Saint Michael the archangel is also very powerful:

Saint Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
    and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
    by the Divine Power of God -
    cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
    who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Oryx wrote: »
    For those who worry that angels or spirit people watch as they have sex or go to the loo. If they are spirit, and if they know us intimately, they know a lot more about you, inside and out, than what your butt looks like naked. And it doesnt matter to em, them being non corporeal beings and all. Modesty and shame are human inventions.

A guardian angel thing could be our wish or need for something beyond ourselves, as with religion. You could also believe it to be karmic reward for the good we give out, or an aspect of our higher self that we feel. Who knows? Like all spiritual things, its belief based, youll never create an angelic horde in a lab. So therefore you can only ever philosophise about it, not analyse it.

I dont believe that people who have horrible things happen to them, earn or deserve it. I go with the belief that they choose it (mentioned as contracts above). If this earth is a place to learn lessons, why only ever learn the easy ones?

Ive read that book by Lorna Byrne. It was a gentle read, I thought it was very childlike too. There are references to her learning difficulties in it. Her beliefs are very pure and her faith is solid, which is lovely to read.

Well Said...

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I have enough imaginary friends thank you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

What a load of shít. What about the poster aboves questions about the soldiers? Was it their time to die? Where were their angels?

I almost died a few days ago thanks to an idiot on the motorway. 120kph and he tries to move into my lane with me there! No angel saved me. My quick thinking did. Maybe some luck too.

Advertisement