Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

booze for 90s prices!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I just heard about this bar in Foxrock which has slashed it's price down to what they were ten years ago.

Pint of Guinness €4.50 €3.80
    Pint Heineken €5.05 €4.00
    Corona Extra €5.05 €3.50
    Vodka & Red Bull €8.65 €5.50

Actually I don't think 3.80 is that cheap for a pint - I think it's not much more in my local, Comiskeys on Dominic street. Anyone know of any cheaper booze bargains out there? I would have thought a lot of places are offering some sort of recession busting offers.

Those prices are good but certainly not 90's prices. I remember just before the Euro changeover it was around £2.20 for a pint of Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    There's loads on villages without a bar in Ireland.
    Guiness Pint price Index €

1997__________€2.52
    1998__________€2.65
    1999__________€2.74
    2000__________€2.88
    2001__________€3.01
    2002__________€3.24
    2003__________€3.41
    2004__________€3.54
    2005__________€3.63
    2006__________€3.74
    2007__________€4.03
    Where did you get this? Guinness have recommended prices for pints, then the pricks go and charge more in the brewry's bar, and it is muck in there!
    grahamo wrote: »
    Those prices are good but certainly not 90's prices. I remember just before the Euro changeover it was around £2.20 for a pint of Guinness
    I don't remember that. I thought the prices are correct. €3.80 would be £3, which sounds right to me for fillies.

I started drinking in pubs about 16 years ago. At the time I remember the cheapest cans were £1 royal dutch, and that pints were usually £1.80 to £2.20, and I remember them being £2.50 in places fairly soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

My parents bought a pub in Meath in June 1999, I remember the price of a pint was just after going up to £2. It was that price for a while. It was one of the cheaper places around so that price index looks accurate enough, £2=€2.54.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

good to know, because their food is 'orrible
    Can not agree with that, although it is overpriced and not as nice as it was a few years back. It is still tasty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

kc66 wrote: »
    My parents bought a pub in Meath in June 1999, I remember the price of a pint was just after going up to £2. It was that price for a while. It was one of the cheaper places around so that price index looks accurate enough, £2=€2.54.

I remember working in a pub in Dublin in about 1993 or 1994. Back then the price of a pint of lager went over £2.
    I got some disgusted looks from the regulars :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I was in Leeds at the w/end Double Vodka and Red bull £2 - pints £2 - god i feel so ripped off her going out!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

The Old Reliable in Shandon St Cork serves pints of Beamish and Fosters for €2.50, thats the way it should be!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Luckycharm wrote: »
    I was in Leeds at the w/end Double Vodka and Red bull £2 - pints £2 - god i feel so ripped off her going out!
    That can't be right. Double Vodka & Red Bull for £2? You sure it wasn't vodkova and some boost/redbull/shark knock off?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Sean Templar

Tescos are offering 25% off a lot of their beers,althought their wine prices have gone through the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fro66

POKERKING wrote: »
    any other cheap boozer around town?was in tgis last week thats a great deal, always shocked to find its hard to get a cheap drink in town even during the week

Kennedys on Tara St. have Guinness at €3.60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Saw Guinness for 98p a pint in the UK recently..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

10 years ago? More like 10 months ago. :rolleyes:
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pphheerroonn

As far as I know Sister Sarah's, The Wolf Tone, McCarry's, Gallaghers Hotel and Milan night club in Letterkenny have dropped the price of all drinks to €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

snappieT wrote: »
    That can't be right. Double Vodka & Red Bull for £2? You sure it wasn't vodkova and some boost/redbull/shark knock off?

That can be right, Wetherspoons were offering Smirnoff and Redbull for £2.49 in Southampton recently, double was £2.99. UK measures are not same as ours. Single is 25ml, obviously double is .... :-)

Latest deals....bottles of San Miguel...99p
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/promotions/2009-new-deal/

There are a 5 or 6 wetherspoons pubs in NI

I do love the 'long neck' culture in pubs....what a load of b*llsh*t....yes please I will have a long neck famous cider for same price as pint bottle of famous cider, 330ml=564ml

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Mylow wrote: »
    That can be right, Wetherspoons were offering Smirnoff and Redbull for £2.49 in Southampton recently, double was £2.99. UK measures are not same as ours. Single is 25ml, obviously double is .... :-)

Latest deals....bottles of San Miguel...99p
    http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/promotions/2009-new-deal/

There are a 5 or 6 wetherspoons pubs in NI

I do love the 'long neck' culture in pubs....what a load of b*llsh*t....yes please I will have a long neck famous cider for same price as pint bottle of famous cider, 330ml=564ml

Pub in galway was offering a double vodka and redbull for €5, they had smirnoff on the wall but smirnoff did not get put into these! Redbull on its own was €4.40

I guess the long necks might be something to do with buying rounds, like if your getting rounds with a group of people all night you'll feel much better in the morning after 8-10 bottles than you would 8-10 pint bottles :)

Also the pub i worked in PB were at least 50c dearer than long necks i think it could have been 70c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I remember getting back from Oz in late 99, going into Coppers shortly afterwards and being shocked that it was over £3 for a pint. So it would have been about €3.90 there then.

Ended up in Q bar for a late pint on Tuesday night. Thinks it's €4 a pint Mon/Tues, and possibly €5 for cocktails.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I guess the long necks might be something to do with buying rounds, like if your getting rounds with a group of people all night you'll feel much better in the morning after 8-10 bottles than you would 8-10 pint bottles :)
    10x330ml bottles is 5.8 pints. I would feel a whole lot better in the morning buying the 6 pint bottles and having €20 extra in my pocket. More about the stupid prices of spirits & longnecks here

Just bow out of rounds early on, esp. if it is costing you €20 per night to stay in them, that is just pure madness.

Closing hours and restricting offie sales to 10pm is bullsh!t, if they really wanted to do something to curb drinking related problems they should outlaw the rounds system, if only there was a way to implement such a thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

fjon wrote: »
    The bar in question is Fillies in the Leopardstown Racecourse.

Hey, yeah that is it alright. Sorry I didn't remember at the time of the OP. And apologies for not following up to this post and the confusion until now. I was on me holiers in Uganda. Where booze is not actually that much cheaper. Fair enough it's not that cheap either really when you compare it down the country. Seems like a lot of other places around the country and pushing the boat out in terms of marketing gimmicks to get punters back into the pub. All good. :D

Advertisement