Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

booze for 90s prices!

Options
  • 19-02-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I just heard about this bar in Foxrock which has slashed it's price down to what they were ten years ago.

Pint of Guinness €4.50 €3.80
    Pint Heineken €5.05 €4.00
    Corona Extra €5.05 €3.50
    Vodka & Red Bull €8.65 €5.50

Actually I don't think 3.80 is that cheap for a pint - I think it's not much more in my local, Comiskeys on Dominic street. Anyone know of any cheaper booze bargains out there? I would have thought a lot of places are offering some sort of recession busting offers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What's the name?
    AFAIK there are no bars in Foxrock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

10 years ago? More like 10 months ago. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The bar i worked in Athlone which would be considered maybe one of the more expense bars in town have those kind of prices now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Liz Delaneys in Northside SC does all drinks Mon-Thurs €3 and Fri-Sun €4. Or something like that.

Its not foxrock, but after a few, who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I just heard about this bar in Foxrock which has slashed it's price down to what they were ten years ago.

Corona Extra €5.05 €3.50

It's mad how some people just don't get one of the most basic requirements of a "bargain alert". We'll let you know how we got on at said pub OP. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Vodka & Red Bull €8.65

€8.65??????? wtf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

consultech wrote: »
    It's mad how some people just don't get one of the most basic requirements of a "bargain alert". We'll let you know how we got on at said pub OP. :confused:
    Theres nothing wrong with his post

A sane person will just head to Foxrock, and walk the streets asking people where to find this magic bar

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Corona Extra €5.05 €3.50

they were the prices about 18 months ago :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

It wouldnt be Fillies would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

okidoki987 wrote: »
    What's the name?
    AFAIK there are no bars in Foxrock?
    I think there is one in foxrock village, near the entrance to the driving range, looks more like a restaurant. Though you have all sorts of places claiming to be foxrock when they are nowhere near.

Just hope offies do not start raising their prices to what they were 10 years ago! Everybody moans about pub prices in comparison to offies, but never mention how cheap offies have become in the last 15years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I think the OP needs to get whatever he swapped back for this "Magic Pub"

Karma at the end of Temple Bar beside Christchurch does €3 Bottles/Spirits/Shots all week Mon-Sun, Open to close...

Purdy Kitchen temple bar does Pints €3.50 Mon-Fri Untill 8pm

Turks Head does €4 pints untill half 7/8 (iirc) most of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

I'm a manager of a bar in Roscommon Town and we've been charging €3.80 for a Pt of Guinness for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

10 years ago? No way were prices like that 10 years ago.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

rubadub wrote: »
    I think there is one in foxrock village, near the entrance to the driving range, looks more like a restaurant. Though you have all sorts of places claiming to be foxrock when they are nowhere near.

Just hope offies do not start raising their prices to what they were 10 years ago! Everybody moans about pub prices in comparison to offies, but never mention how cheap offies have become in the last 15years.

the gables? that is a restaurant.

there is no bar in foxrock village. Maybe the OP means Fillies in the racecourse of the club there? They would count as foxrock I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

This offer was worth a mention for Foxrock locals. Anyone saying their local is cheaper, congratulations. You're not comparing like with like. Imagine Dawson Street rip off prices and then yes, these 10 year old prices sound accurate, albeit a rip off back in 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'm a manager of a bar in Roscommon Town and we've been charging €3.80 for a Pt of Guinness for months.

And in Riga they are even cheaper! So what?

Point is this is in a very expensive location I guess where rent/property price is very high and expectations in a premises probably match. So to compare the price of a pint in roscommon town to that in one of the most expensive locations in Europe is pointless. Its not comparing like with like and above all of course, its not in any possible competition!

In fact your prices are bloody shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

enda1 wrote: »
    And in Riga they are even cheaper! So what?

Point is this is in a very expensive location I guess where rent/property price is very high and expectations in a premises probably match. So to compare the price of a pint in roscommon town to that in one of the most expensive locations in Europe is pointless. Its not comparing like with like and above all of course, its not in any possible competition!

In fact your prices are bloody shocking!

How the hell is €3.80 a pint shocking? Get off yer high horse ffs! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

TGI fridays on newtown park ave., blackrock are advertising pints @€;3 and cocktails @ €4 all day

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

duffmagic wrote: »
    This offer was worth a mention for Foxrock locals. Anyone saying their local is cheaper, congratulations. You're not comparing like with like. Imagine Dawson Street rip off prices and then yes, these 10 year old prices sound accurate, albeit a rip off back in 99.
    The problem with the post is that Foxrock is the only village in Ireland (afaik) that does not have a bar. Think I remember that from a quiz one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

carbsy wrote: »
    How the hell is €3.80 a pint shocking? Get off yer high horse ffs! :rolleyes:

Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

spareman wrote: »
    The problem with the post is that Foxrock is the only village in Ireland (afaik) that does not have a bar. Think I remember that from a quiz one time.

Ballindangan between fermoy and mitchelstown in Cork is a dry village - always has been. KEEP AWAY :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

spareman wrote: »

There's loads on villages without a bar in Ireland.
    Guiness Pint price Index €

1997__________€2.52
    1998__________€2.65
    1999__________€2.74
    2000__________€2.88
    2001__________€3.01
    2002__________€3.24
    2003__________€3.41
    2004__________€3.54
    2005__________€3.63
    2006__________€3.74
    2007__________€4.03

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

my local is 3.45 for the black stuff and I live near Cork city. the pint is the best in the place

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

The point I’m making is that how do you justify charging between 70c and €1.75 more for those products in the first place? (And before anyone says a thing, I know my pub isn't the best value in the world.) Rent, rates, insurance, staff, yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know that. They’re probably charging €4/€4.50 for the Red Bull alone; does anyone know how much they’re buying it in at? That kind of margin is Crazy!

Surly being, possible the only pub in the village, they have a fairly large catchment area with a fair amount of passing trade and locals?

How long is the offer going to last? And how come they can afford to charge these new prices all of a sudden? It’s still in “one of the most expensive locations in Europe”.

If they are going to stick with these prices, even for just a few months, then fair play to them. I sincerely wish them nothing but luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

The bar in question is Fillies in the Leopardstown Racecourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Those are the prices at my local, though not sure about the Corona and i think Guinness is cheaper. Then again i live in Westmeath :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

villager wrote: »
    TGI fridays on newtown park ave., blackrock are advertising pints @€;3 and cocktails @ €4 all day

I've always wondered with them do you have to be buying food, or can you just walk in for the booze?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You can just walk in to the bar. You can also order food while at the bar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

good to know, because their food is 'orrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

any other cheap boozer around town?was in tgis last week thats a great deal, always shocked to find its hard to get a cheap drink in town even during the week

Advertisement