Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trade Unions shut the hell up!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Em, no. Trade unions are the reason why people keep thier jobs when employers try to sack them unfairly etc. Trade unions are why we have such favourable working conditions in most sectors. Trade unions are the reason we have so many days holidays, sick days etc.

Don't understand all this union bashing.

They are also the reason why schools cant get rid of ****e teachers, or crappy council workers etc etc... it swings both ways

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

twinytwo wrote: »
    They are also the reason why schools cant get rid of ****e teachers, or crappy council workers etc etc... it swings both ways

A bit of class snobbery showing there perhaps?
    The single most inept group of workers are politicians and they are paying thier wages out of everybody else's pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Degsy wrote: »
    The single most inept group of workers are politicians and they are paying thier wages out of everybody else's pockets.

How is wanting shít teachers gone class snobbery?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

I have a friend who works in the Civil Service.
    He pulls in €700 a week. His job takes him an hour to do.
    The rest of the day is spent reading books, surfing the net and other time wasting activities.
    He is paid to do a full days work. He is always home by 2 every day.
    Everyone in there is doing the same thing. They are protected by the unions and so they can't be fired. He won't do anything other than his specified job, which I've already said takes him an hour to do. The unions have made sure that he can just say no, even though he is sitting on his arse all day. He tells me that half of them in there go to the pub for the day.

The unions have their place, and have done some great work, but they have also put in place some really negative practices that have bred lazy, ineffectual, overpaid people in jobs that can't be fired and are allowed to continue to get away with doing swwet f all at the tax payers expense.

At the moment, what they are proposing, is going toalso cost the tax payer, that's you and me, and at what other cost? Less money for health and infastructure etc. And for what? To keep people that should be fired in jobs, when there are plenty of hard working people out there who could easily to the job of three of them.

Now I'm not saying all civil servants are like this, but there are a considerable amount of them, and the unions while they maybe protecting them, are bleeding the taxpayer.

Huh? How'd you make that out?
    Wanting to get rid of ****ty teachers etc has nothing to do with class snobbery. It's about bleedin' time we could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

beth-lou wrote: »
    He pulls in €700 a week. His job takes him an hour to do.
    The rest of the day is spent reading books, surfing the net and other time wasting activities.
    He is paid to do a full days work. He is always home by 2 every day.
    Everyone in there is doing the same thing. They are protected by the unions and so they can't be fired. He won't do anything other than his specified job, which I've already said takes him an hour to do. The unions have made sure that he can just say no, even though he is sitting on his arse all day. He tells me that half of them in there go to the pub for the day.

The unions have their place, and have done some great work, but they have also put in place some really negative practices that have bred lazy, ineffectual, overpaid people in jobs that can't be fired and are allowed to continue to get away with doing swwet f all at the tax payers expense.

At the moment, what they are proposing, is going toalso cost the tax payer, that's you and me, and at what other cost? Less money for health and infastructure etc. And for what? To keep people that should be fired in jobs, when there are plenty of hard working people out there who could easily to the job of three of them.

Now I'm not saying all civil servants are like this, but there are a considerable amount of them, and the unions while they maybe protecting them, are bleeding the taxpayer.

Sorry, but this does smell of bull. Grade & Department please.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Mark200 wrote: »
    Yeah trade unions are really just making things worse. Yes it's unfortunate that people have to lose their jobs but if Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann can't afford to pay them, what are they supposed to do?!?

And ****ing civil servants too.
    They can afford to bail out Banks to the tune of billions of euros, but to help with a 30 million euro lose incurred by Dublin buses is way too much.
    You must realise that with the recession more people can't afford to drive & the public transport is the only way to travel.

I'm afraid it's true.
    Hard to believe I know, but there you go.
    That's all thanks to the unions.

And I'm not giving you his grade and dept. He's my friend for ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

swingking wrote: »
    I was reading through this mornings Irish times and the amound of trade union propaganda was unreal. Those huge spreads in the paper ; taking up half the page, just looks bad!

I'm sick of reading about pure moaners complaining about getting pay cuts. Shut the hell up, you have your job, other people are happy to take a pay cut just to keep their jobs.

/rant

Actually you're RIGHT! I am glad someone has posted this same issue AGAIN, we didn't get it in all those other threads, but it finally makes sense!

but listen, me and everyone else agrees - we're all gonna shut up now, stop complaining, bend over, grab our ankles & take it in the a$$, because you are sick of reading about it in the paper.

All I needed was perspective from someone who CLEARLY understands the issues.

I'm afraid it's true.
    Hard to believe I know, but there you go.
    That's all thanks to the unions.

And I'm not giving you his grade and dept. He's my friend for ffs.

You're telling lies.

Or he's telling you lies and you believe him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

They also have commitments to bail out the construction industry and the banking sector and THAT is why they need the money,NOT because the bus services are uneconomical.

Hang on, it is estimated that Dublin Bus will make an estimated loss of 100m this year if cuts are not made. What company would accept a loss of 100m?

Making a 100 million loss IS uneconomical. They have commitments to bail out the banks because they have **** all choice, if they don't things would get much worse. We are not the only country bailing out banks and were not doing it just cause Cowen happens to like people who work for banks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

wasper wrote: »
    They can afford to bail out Banks to the tune of billions of euros, but to help with a 30 million euro lose incurred by Dublin buses is way too much.
    Isn't that part of our problem though: we keep chucking money at things instead of trying to make them more effecient. Rather than ask "Can we save 30m by making some reasonable changes", we're told to cough up.

Huh? How'd you make that out?
    Wanting to get rid of ****ty teachers etc has nothing to do with class snobbery. It's about bleedin' time we could.

What "****ty teachers"?
    What are they doing wrong,apart from getting sued because some cretin wants to look like a girl?

What "****ty teachers"?
    What are they doing wrong,apart from getting sued because some cretin wants to look like a girl?

You're absolutely deluded.
    Bless.

You're telling lies.

Yeah I'm telling lies.:rolleyes:
    And what is my motivation?

It's the truth, as nasty as it is. I don't lie or make stuff up just to prove a point.

colly10 wrote: »
    Hang on, it is estimated that Dublin Bus will make an estimated loss of 100m this year if cuts are not made. What company would accept a loss of 100m?

Making a 100 million loss IS uneconomical. They have commitments to bail out the banks because they have **** all choice, if they don't things would get much worse. We are not the only country bailing out banks and were not doing it just cause Cowen happens to like people who work for banks

Its not a company,its a stae body designed to provide transport for people who cant afford cars.Its always operated at a loss..always.
    now,with regard to the 100 million its losing per year,the country could easily shave that off its foreign aid package or the state-sponsored appeals process for unsuccesful asylum seekers.
    Taking buses from people and sacking bus workers is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oreilly21

You're telling lies.

i have to agree, there is no department i have ever worked in that would stand that sort of conduct.
    only the past 10 years the civil service in this country has modernised significantly and its work ethics have also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Everyone in there is doing the same thing.

Now I'm not saying all civil servants are like this, but .............................

Im not racist but........................

You're absolutely deluded.
    Bless.

This from a person who posts a story, not only with no evidence whatsoever, but so far fetched it REALLY is a stretch to believe; to back up their own ideas about what's going on?

aw, bless.

Its not a company,its a stae body designed to provide transport for people who cant afford cars.Its always operated at a loss..always.
    now,with regard to the 100 million its losing per year,the country could easily shave that off its foreign aid package or the state-sponsored appeals process for unsuccesful asylum seekers.
    Taking buses from people and sacking bus workers is a disgrace.

They can do that too.
    The point is, every industry is effected. Every industry.
    Tell me, why should public sector workers be immune.
    Give me a good a valid reason, because everyone else is taking paycuts or losing their jobs.

Why should the public sector be immune to cutting its cloth according to its measure?

And this is the last time I am going to say this about the story and my friend, it is true, and his father has worked there all his life and he does the same thing day in day out.

• Advertisement

oreilly21 wrote: »
    i have to agree, there is no department i have ever worked in that would stand that sort of conduct.
    only the past 10 years the civil service in this country has modernised significantly and its work ethics have also.

Its a pack of lies designed to bolster the idea that "civil servants" routinely get paid 700 euro a week for an hour's work and cant be fired.
    Complete knob ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

What "****ty teachers"?

Are you telling me that in 14 years of education you didn't have a single bad teacher?

jim o doom wrote: »
    This from a person who posts a story, not only with no evidence whatsoever, but so far fetched it REALLY is a stretch to believe; to back up their own ideas about what's going on?

aw, bless.

And what function would my story have as a work of fiction, please inform me. I find it hard to believe that he can get away with that too, I find it disgusting, but it's happening.

They can do that too.
    The point is, every industry is effected. Every industry.
    Tell me, why should public sector workers be immune.
    Give me a good a valid reason, because everyone else is taking paycuts or losing their jobs.

Why should the public sector be immune to cutting its cloth according to its measure?

And this is the last time I am going to say this about the story and my friend, it is true, and his father has worked there all his life and he does the same thing day in day out.

How are Public Servants immune?
    They already pay the 1% levy!
    Its this extra 8 to 10% wage cut they have a problem with!
    None of the Public sector unions have said no wage cut but its the severity and especially to the public sector workers at the low end of the pay scale worst affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭LaMer

Dublin Bus are a pack of scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Yep those starving kids, or people fleeing persecution, their situations pale in comparison with 120 jobs lost in a state company :eek:

Rob_l wrote: »
    How are Public Servants immune?
    They already pay the 1% levy!
    Its this extra 8 to 10% wage cut they have a problem with!

Welcome to the recession.
    The 8 to 10% cut is pretty standard accross the private sector too, and we pay for our own pensions! That is those of us who can afford pensions and who still have a job. Every worker in the state has the 1% levy adn a lot are down to a 3 day week.

I just don't have any more sympathy for the public sector worker than I do for the private sector worker. we are all in the same boat, but the private sector are way more vunerable.

And what function would my story have as a work of fiction, please inform me. I find it hard to believe that he can get away with that too, I find it disgusting, but it's happening.

hmm what function would your lies have.

It would support your notions/words against the CS and it also supports your preconceived view of how you think people work in the Civil service.

Like the other poster said "I'm not racist BUT.." that's EXACTLY the reason you would put that up.

Welcome to the recession.
    The 8 to 10% cut is pretty standard accross the private sector too, and we pay for our own pensions! That is those of us who can afford pensions and who still have a job.

I think you will find any public sector worker employed post 1995 already pay for their pension.
    And then they give 30 years service to the state functions might be worth it really.

• Advertisement

Its a pack of lies designed to bolster the idea that "civil servants" routinely get paid 700 euro a week for an hour's work and cant be fired.
    Complete knob ****.

It's the truth about this particular person and some of his co workers.
    Whether you like it or not, that's what is happening in his place and they protect one another. That's what allows it to happen.

Advertisement