Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling caps??

Options
  • 19-02-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what the general opinion is of them? Any1 know if there's someone in ireland making them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I wear one possibly 90% of the time, on or off the bike...

Don't know offhand of anyone in Ireland making 'em, but I get mine from walzcaps.com -cheap as chips and fast delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

I love em, they keep the sweat out of your eyes and stop glasses fogging up.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They aren't used as much since helmets became popular. Still, nice to have under the helmet on wet days. I also wear mine on the rollers, as it soaks up the sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭thesunwashot

It's good to have a cap of some description when on the bike.

You are entering into dangerous hipster territory when moving it into the pub though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I use to think they looked silly on me, but, I soon realised they just look silly on everyone, so what the hell, i wear them all the time now, on or off the bike.

• Advertisement

I saw a guy in Hogans a few months back rocking the whole hipster cyclist thing. He had a bright white cycling cap on and the tightest, perfectly clean white jeans I'd ever seen. There is no way those clothes had ever been near a bike but there he was anyway with his short sleeve jersey and lovely clean chrome bag.

The fixed gear fashion thing has been a sort of blessing in that you can now get some pretty nice looking bike clothing but most of the time it is taken too far.

The fixed gear fashion thing has been a sort of blessing in that you can now get some pretty nice looking bike clothing but most of the time it is taken too far.

If your talking about rolled up jeans a bag and cap ... well .. I am not sure that's 'too far' if you cycled to the pub, which I tend to do quite a lot ... So yeah, i get to the shop/restaurant/pub looking like a p*nis, but, so do i when I go on a Roadie saturday spin :)

( i am not hipster by the way - wrong side of my 20's for that )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Honestly i'm very new to the whole Cycling scene. I have a very clean chrome bag, the excuse at the moment is i've only had since christmas. I've heard some1 else talk about hipsters, does it just mean some1 that follows trends or am i way off base? was thinking i might try making caps to sell but wasnt sure if there was any market in ireland.

If your talking about rolled up jeans a bag and cap ... well .. I am not sure that's 'too far' if you cycled to the pub

No that's not really what I mean. I suppose I'd say it was too far when it goes from what it makes sense to wear to just trying to make a statement. I guess it just gets to me when the cycling (or sometimes just wearing cycling gear) is more about fashion than cycling.

That said, it is good that cycling is getting more popular and the fixie thing has a lot to do with that I think.
    abcdggs wrote: »
    I have a very clean chrome bag, the excuse at the moment is i've only had since christmas.

I'm not judging. I was just saying the guy I saw was obviously not a cyclist or those jeans would not have been anywhere near as white as they were. :pac:

Chrome bags are great, clean or otherwise.
    was thinking i might try making caps to sell but wasnt sure if there was any market in ireland.

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe it'd expand to a whole range of local cycling gear which would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

for hipsters see here...... http://www.dublinstreets.blogspot.com/ the key to the look is to stand with your toes pointing inwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I use to think they looked silly on me, but, I soon realised they just look silly on everyone, so what the hell, i wear them all the time now, on or off the bike.

Do you mind me asking how you sort your hair out under it? I tried on Myth's boards cap for fit there the other day and my hair was pushing it off my head.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you sort your hair out under it? I tried on Myth's boards cap for fit there the other day and my hair was pushing it off my head.
    LOL ... Are you growing your hair?
    My hair is long and straight so I just it's just a case of tidying what you can behind your ears ... and on a Roadie spin ... well ... just tie it up and keep the cap on ALL the time ... ( sweat = bad helmet + cap hair)

Dirk ... if you worry about your hair:
    - Don't wear a cao
    or
    -Keep the cap on at all time ...
    or
    - Just shave it off

or
    - Just shave it off

That's what I did!

Hogans seems to be a bit of a hipster magnet, but I think that's because a lot of the couriers drink there -you can usually tell the difference though with the amount of grime present :)

Hogans seems to be a bit of a hipster magnet, but I think that's because a lot of the couriers drink there -you can usually tell the difference though with the amount of grime present :)

Plus it's the hipsters buying most of the drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I like Hogans and I like cycling. I've yet to turn up in my bibshorts though :P

Raam wrote: »
    I like Hogans and I like cycling. I've yet to turn up in my bibshorts though :P

It would certainly be amusing trying. Especially if you turned up on your Cervelo...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have toyed with the idea of tying it up, but I think I am just going to cut it, its way too long.

It would certainly be amusing trying. Especially if you turned up on your Cervelo...

I wonder how long the Cervelo would last locked outside.
    Anyway, cycling caps... I have two team ones which are very handy to have in the rain. Glasses can get filthy, but the cap peak is perfect for keeping the rain out of your eyes. I know you can get helmets with peaks, but that's just not stylish no matter what Lance does.

HAMILTON-LANDIS-LANCE.jpg

I wonder how long the Cervelo would last locked outside.

It'd be fine, just use a big ass lock!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I wonder if anyone has sent the really bad dublinstreets photos to the Bike Snob for some serious mockery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

ah yes, bike snob. abcdggs, for a complete decontruction of the fixie hipster phenomenon here's the site for you http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭The_Claw

I had a look at that walzcaps site. Doesn't your head get hot under a cap though? Though cotton might be cooler, right?

As for Hogan's: my non-cyclist friends are obsessed with my bib shorts. Anyone who goes into the boozer wearing only his bib shorts gets a drink from me. Profuse body hair accentuates the look very well.

The_Claw wrote: »
    I had a look at that walzcaps site. Doesn't your head get hot under a cap though? Though cotton might be cooler, right?

As for Hogan's: my non-cyclist friends are obsessed with my bib shorts. Anyone who goes into the boozer wearing only his bib shorts gets a drink from me. Profuse body hair accentuates the look very well.

You can get cotton ones from the site, and I've had no problems with overheating yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

If any1 is looking for cycling caps i will be making them to order, just pm me. i'd say the first few will be free just to get some out there. but if you hear of any1 looking for one get them in touch with me. thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

If any1 is looking for cycling caps i will be making them to order, just pm me. i'd say the first few will be free just to get some out there. but if you hear of any1 looking for one get them in touch with me. thanks :)

stick some photos of your stuff up here - i might buy one or two if they're nice.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well if you're handing out freebies, Tiny and Tom should be your first port of call. I don't think I've seen either of them, on or off the bike, without one.

el tonto wrote: »
    Well if you're handing out freebies, Tiny and Tom should be your first port of call. I don't think I've seen either of them, on or off the bike, without one.

It's true, I'm always wearing 'em... one in front of me now, on my desk in work in fact :)

I'd be glad to take a freebie, or pay for one if they is nice!

I'd defo like to take a look at what you're making. I'd spring a few lids if it's good stuff.

I wouldn't mind giving a few quid for a nice cap :)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't mind giving a few quid for a nice cap :)

Me too ...

Advertisement