Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watershed pool closure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Could of swore I saw another thread with this title:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

rory007 wrote: »
    is it true that the pool could be closed for another month and a half due to it failing a health and safety test during the week?..

Nothing would surprise me anymore. The whole situation is one big unintentional comedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rory007

yeah its stupid really not even a jacuzzi or sauna after the gym, nowadays ud think builders would jump at the chance to sort to out for the work theyd get.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭HHH

Woah, just to clear it up, the tiles were definitely not put in upside down:D One side of a tile is prepared to receive the grout so the installers could not have put them in upside down!!!
    Also the cleaning agent could not have taken the surface from the tiles.
    The tiles are designed to last 50+ years without being replaced. A simple clean couldn't take off the non-slip surface.
    The only logical explanations are that the wrong tiles were put in were wrong or that the tiles specified were the wrong tiles.
    I don't understand why the entire pool area is closed tho. A set of mats could have been purchased and used until repair works had begun and limit the numbers using the facility. It would avoid an expensive facility lying idle for so long....

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

will there be any refund/credit given to members who want to, but cannot access the swimming pool. at the end of the day, we are paying for something that's not being provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

What they said as regards refunds/etc was that they would extend the membership for the amount of days it took to deal with the tiling issue. remains to be seen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Threads merged.

Just heard on KCLR radio that the pool could be closed for up to 12 more weeks. This is beyond ridiculous now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Just heard on KCLR radio that the pool could be closed for up to 12 more weeks. This is beyond ridiculous now. :mad:

Heard that too. Does it suprise you though?
    I wonder if The Watershed was a private business from the word go, would this have happened? How many hotels in KK have swimming pools and/or sauna area's & managed to get the tiles put down correctly first time?

Al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Patcha

Seems like ownership was taken at a late stage long after the problem should have been picked up.Look on the bright side Easter is 2 weeks away and with a bit of nice weather the river will be swimable again.

• Advertisement

Alzar wrote: »
    Heard that too. Does it suprise you though?

I wonder if The Watershed was a private business from the word go, would this have happened? How many hotels in KK have swimming pools and/or sauna area's & managed to get the tiles put down correctly first time?

Al.

If the Watershed was privately owned this would not have happened. The hotels don't have the kind of money [ie our tax/vat dollars] like the inept Council does. How fitting its an election year and this is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Just been there and the girl originally said it could be weeks/months before opening again, a manager interupted and said it would be 2-3 weeks. But, looking at the other girls face she didn't believe her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

I was reading in the Kilkenny Advertiser today and there was an article about it being opened again?
    EDIT: nope, went and reread the article again, damn lack of punctuation in the newspaper!
    it reads "Update on swimming pool reopening date today" but i read it as Update on Swimming pool, reopening date (is) today, when i reality theres going to be a "media briefing" about the tiles! and theres no news on the reopening date :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 waterbaba

I heard that they thought they had fixed it, but after testing, it wasn't actually fixed. So now they need to decide if they're going to treat the current tiles again, or if they're going to lay new ones. The girl told me that they're "hopefully" going to have made this decision by the end of next week and so they'll have a better idea of a time-line by then.

Seriously considering stopping my direct debit payments now and telling them I'll resume them 6 weeks after the pool has re-opened (that's how long it's been closed). I need those direct debit payments so that I can pay for swimming sessions at another pool!! I don't care about time being added onto the end of my membership!

Starting to get really fed-up now. This is the only public pool in the whole of the city!! Yes, Carlow and New Ross pools are great, but their public times are restricted, and anyway, I don't want to have to drive for 35-60 minutes (and then fork out for the swim) when the watershed is about a 3 minute drive from my house on my way to work!! (or I could walk there in 10-15 minutes!!) And I'm already paying for it!!

<rant over - for the moment!>

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Can't believe after all this time they still have not decided a course of action (based on the article on the cover of the Kilkenny People). Are they mad to be considering recoating the tiles as a temporary measure - surely this is long term more time consuming and more expensive, especially as it took so long for the management to realise how trecherous the tiles were.
    I'd heard a rumour that a pregnant woman fell and hurt her shoulder and that was the incident that finally made the management shut the pool.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

whats happened to the old public pool? any chance of them reopening that for a couple of weeks so I don't have to go swimming in the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

You can swim in the River. Court.

At a tenner it's quite steep and always seems to be fully of gaybo kids and their swimming lessons or else mom, dad and "the gang" but it did me until the newpark reopened (today).

Heard recently that the pool was closed because the insurance company refused to carry on the cover if they did not close following two falls resulting in broken limbs within 24 hours of each other.
    Don't try and find out anything from your councillors as they, unbelievably, don't know what is going on.
    Out of curiosity, is there anyone from any clubs using the complex having problems with the management?

Regarding clubs and dificulties with the Watershed management.I doubt if they have time to give more than the bearest courtesy to clubs , because they are so over their heads in various forms of litigation, its solicitors who are doing the talking now, club secretarys im afraid probably dont get a look in, and to think this was built to be the awnser to all sports clubs needs, i mean it was partly funded by the sports council.I keep thinking of the swimming club, the life savers and the schools they have nothing now.Ill go along with Joe Reidy and open up the old pool ,indefinitely.€9.00 family swim and open untill 9 or 10 on Saturdays and Sundays.Happy days.

Not surprised they are up to their eyeballs in litigation, to have left the pool open for 6 weeks with the floor in the state it was was negligence - they put money through the tills above the safety of the staff and public. Penny wise and pound foolish.
    I would be surprised if any insurance company will insure the pool after this, even when they finally sort the floor out, even if they get the insurance it is going to be seriously expensive. The old pool could be the only answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Jaysus, talk about a comedy of errors :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Wow, what an unmitigated disaster. This cost a fortune to build and now it's closed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I read people are using the public pools in Athy, Ross and Carlow instead now.
    Athy pool was like the old pool in KK last time I was there (early 90s!), can't have improved much since.

The old pool is very close to the river which would be the ideal media to use for a heat pump and also the flat roofing would be ideal for a large bank of solar panels.I heard there was a meeting in the Kilkenny Inn last week where a fairly reliable source rekons the old pool could be got going indefinately for 25-30 k which would include a new linner for the pool to stop it leaking and a new safer chlorine system.

Fluffybums wrote: »
    I would be surprised if any insurance company will insure the pool after this, even when they finally sort the floor out, even if they get the insurance it is going to be seriously expensive. The old pool could be the only answer.

So basically even if they fix the situation the pool may never be able to re-open?

The ongoing Watershed closure is having a devasting effect on the people of Kilkenny, where a long culture of swimming and its related activities have flourished so succesfully. Is there any understanding of the loss all of us swimmers are suffering.My heart goes out to the heroic efforts of the chairprson, committee and kids in Kilkenny swimming club, to undrstand the frustration of these great people you should read the letter to the editor by the chairwoman of Kilkenny Swimming club, Mary McMurrough in this weeks Kilkenny People.And talk about frustration, how about the poor staff up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ECOLOGICAL

this is just another reason why all councillors should go in local elections surely theres a Che somewhere in Kilkenny and start a coup hehehe kick em all down city hall stairs and get the fire brigade to blast em with cold water on high street now that would be fun !!!!!!!!!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

ECOLOGICAL wrote: »
    this is just another reason why all councillors should go in local elections surely theres a Che somewhere in Kilkenny and start a coup hehehe kick em all down city hall stairs and get the fire brigade to blast em with cold water on high street now that would be fun !!!!!!!!!!1
    Yeah, but then the watershed would still be closed and lot of people would have been without a local pool.. and the city would be in ruins

theres an article in the Kk Advertiser about the closure

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Alzar

Got the balance refunded of the 80 yo-yo's that I paid for the young lads swimming lessons :D:D
    No point in farting around waiting for the lessons to resume in the 'Shed...that could be months away!

Going to send him to lessons in one of the hotels instead.

Whole situation is embarrassing......

<rant start

Come to Kilkenny & celebrate our 400th birthday...
    just don't look for a swim in our sooper-dooper new pool, 'cause it's closed & may be closed for another 400 hours/days/weeks/months/years*.....*delete as applicable

arrrgghhh :mad::mad::mad:

/rant end

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭hop2it

i was talking to an enginner who work for glenman construction what a complet asshole he was and he live,s in killkenny glenman sacked him and he is now back working for his daddy in new ross doing BER certs. SAD REALLY. on all the people of killkenny who were looking to useing the watershed

Advertisement