Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watershed pool closure

Options
  • 19-02-2009 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

The pool in the Watershed is closed for the next week or two for essential works on the tiles. I went in this morning ready to go for a mega swim and I was told they had closed at about 4pm yesterday:(

Really annoyed actually as I was just getting really into my swimming.

Anyone know where else is good for swimming (I'm fairly new to Kilkenny)? not mad about the thought of having to shell out for another pool when I'm already paying for the Watershed. Although, I get the impression that they're going to add the time missed onto the end of the membership???

I suppose I could go to the gym for the next couple of weeks, but that feels like a chore whereas swimming is enjoyable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

waterbaba wrote: »
    The pool in the Watershed is closed for the next week or two for essential works on the tiles. I went in this morning ready to go for a mega swim and I was told they had closed at about 4pm yesterday:(

Anyone know where else is good for swimming (I'm fairly new to Kilkenny)? not mad about the thought of having to shell out for another pool when I'm already paying for the Watershed. Although, I get the impression that they're going to add the time missed onto the end of the membership???

I suppose I could go to the gym for the next couple of weeks, but that feels like a chore whereas swimming is enjoyable.
    Swimming is more work than the gym!!! I presume the sauna and steam rooms are closed too??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Essential maintenance already? That doesn't sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 waterbaba

It's to sort out the slippery tiles, which is definitely a good thing!! But it should really have been thought about before they opened... They should have had a dry (hahaha) run!!

Pretty sure the steam room and sauna are closed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I've just looked at the web site and it said there're clsing the pool for two to three weeks! But knowing Ireland it will be more than that, glad I didn't join now as I swim a few times a week. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Patcha

Its not looking good for the councils.The arcitects and all the sub contractors i believe are blaming the watershed for stripping of the non slip surface on the tiles before opening up.They will end up having to go for a short term fix or taking designers and builders to court.Could be a long term closure me thinks.18m phew.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I don't swim there myself but a friend of mine does and has seen a few kids fall there. Crazy stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I hope they use the closure time to put a water drinking fountain/ tap into the place.

Ye i got caught looking for water myself.I was very keen to join but kids finished at 7 and early closing on week ends is very restrictive.Hopefully when they reopen they might revisit these restrictions and a water fount would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 miece

there is a water fountain in the gym if that helps ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

miece wrote: »
    there is a water fountain in the gym if that helps ha

Doesn't really work that well. I usually bring my own bottle of water.

Not to hijack the thread but just wanted to give people a heads up that the upstairs changing rooms are closed today due to construction. They must be finally putting a drain in the shower areas. The locker room was turning into a pool with all the water on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 sandy09

i heard someone saying that new regulations mean can't put water fountain in pool area?? hopefully the pool will get sorted soon cos it is really good facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Tazpm

Heard a kid broke her arm when she slipped on the tiles. I think it was on the snag list so it falls back on the company that put the floor down. They say 3wks closure so it'll be 3 months before it opens. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

I heard that someone broke their leg, whether it was an arm or a leg, a breakage is serious enough to close it down!
    to the OP i read on a KK newspaper(cant remember which one) that for everyday it is closed, you get those extra days at the end of your membership, but i guess you could go to a Hotel leisure centre maybe..?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭manus30

i heard it was the cleaning agent they used for cleaning the tiles..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

That's what I heard as well. Presumably in the background, they're looking for an ass to kick. Why the hell couldn't they get the sort of tiles that have served swimming pools properly the length and breadth of the country for years? Any sort of tiles that can be made slippery just by using a cleaning agent (or, presumably, wear and tear down the line) sound seriously dodgy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

You could try the Sean Kelly Sports centre in Carrick-on-Suir, they have a nice 20m pool and it is cheaper than the Watershed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I was in the Watershed yestersday and they said they didn't when it was re-opening. but, apparantely you can use the pool in the Springhill (for €5).

Haven't been on here for ages!!

When it first closed I rang around all the hotels I could find in Kilkenny that had pools to see if I could use them as a casual swimmer, they all said no, their facilities were only for members and residents (apart from the Ormonde who were charging some astronomical fee - but it was for the use of all facilities rather than just the pool). This might have changed, I'll try the springhill again. Thanks for the advice!

I also heard that a pool in Cork had the same tiles put down and the same thing happened, so it seems the tiles aren't all they're cracked (;)) up to be.

I was in the Watershed the other day and they said that as soon as the work starts, it'll only take 48 hours till the pool is open again, they just don't know when the work is going to start!!!

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The locker room was turning into a pool with all the water on the floor.

Maybe they should have just sent us up there while the pool is closed!!:D

sandy09 wrote: »
    i heard someone saying that new regulations mean can't put water fountain in pool area?? hopefully the pool will get sorted soon cos it is really good facility.

They said that they don't even have a tap near the pool for cleaning and the like, so they were hoping to fit a water fountain at the same time as fitting that tap. The girls on the desk said that to me so I don't know about regulations etc.

I seem to have a lot of information, maybe I spend a lot of time pestering the Watershed staff?? I don't mean to!! Oops!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭HHH

Apparently the pool is to re-open on Monday 16th.
    The tiles have been treated and the non-slip surface has been restored.

Brilliant! Thanks for letting us know!!

I'll be in there first thing Monday morning (I say that now...)

Just found out, it's defo NOT opening on Monday, could even be another two weeks...

Also the Springhill hotel is 9 euros to use the pool, not 5 unfortunately, and I think that's only if you are already a member of the watershed. But for that 9 you get to stay for as long as you like and you can use the gym too - although I could use the gym in the watershed for free.....

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

If they are just going to replace the previous coating, one has to wonder if another major clean will produce the same result. Of course, they may decide not to do a deep clean ever again.

Still wondering why it took so long for the powers that be to spot the problem. Most leathal pool flooring I have ever been on and it only took about 3 steps to spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I heard the non slip tiles were fitted incorrectly ie non slip side facing down so they have to refit em

Hopefully it'll open again soon it looks like a gorgeous pool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

I heard the non slip tiles were fitted incorrectly ie non slip side facing down so they have to refit em

Hopefully it'll open again soon it looks like a gorgeous pool

are these guys for real?? how f*cking stupid can they be........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Doffaldinho

I heard this too.
    /facepalm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Maybe they should have just sent us up there while the pool is closed!!:D

LOL. They should have at this rate.

Are they even working on fixing the tiles? I'm in there nearly everyday and I never see anybody working in the pool area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rory007

is it true that the pool could be closed for another month and a half due to it failing a health and safety test during the week?..

• Advertisement

The watershed pool closure was blamed firstly on the cleaners and now the tilers, where will it end.Any way New Ross pool is nice and Clonmell is too.

Advertisement