Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you get your bankroll?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭SilentAssassin

Bankroll management is very important too. In my first year I was probably equally good (or bad) at both online and live. I made about 2k profit live, but lost 1k online. I went about my online bankroll management completely the wrong way. Was waiting til I would hit X hundred euro profit before I would cash money out. Should have been cashing out smaller amounts here and there. 20's, 50's,etc. Wish I had known what I know now!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

I went about my online bankroll management completely the wrong way. Was waiting til I would hit X hundred euro profit before I would cash money out. Should have been cashing out smaller amounts here and there. 20's, 50's,etc. Wish I had known what I know now!! :(

You can cash outmoney online?! :eek:

Just my 2c on this - you're not likely to build up a BR if you're taking out 20s, 50s, etc here and there. Best to treat your online roll as completely separate and try build from there. Much easier, and faster, to go through hte levels that way, than if you were withdrawing on a regular basis.

dK1NG wrote: »
    You can cash outmoney online?! :eek:

Just my 2c on this - you're not likely to build up a BR if you're taking out 20s, 50s, etc here and there. Best to treat your online roll as completely separate and try build from there. Much easier, and faster, to go through hte levels that way, than if you were withdrawing on a regular basis.

Yeah I meant in regards to my own game. I kind of stick to the $10 or $20 SNGs and .25c/.50c cash.

But your point is correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

You seem to have the completly wrong idea of things.

Asking where do people get their bankrolls is a pretty silly question. Winning players win and thus increase their roll, Losing players lose so have to get their roll from other sources, eg. working or loans.

Most people on here DON'T have a poker bankroll in the purest form. Most are recreational or semi-serious players that just deposit money onto a site as the need it or want to play. They take out a 100 here or there from their account if the feel like they want to play a tourney in the fitz or SE. If they win then they might treat themselves, their girlfriends to something nice. If they lose then its no big deal.
    Most players on here work and have normal lives they dont concern themselves with grinding up a roll from .25c .50c. Basically, They play for fun. Simple.

Now, if you want to make money at poker on a regular basis and build your roll to the point where you are playing 50/100 plo online and playing all the EPT's, then the first thing you need to do is change the way you are thinking bout the game and bankroll.

You can't be thinking bout taking out 20's and 50's out of your online account! seriosly WTF?! you work through the levels, sign away your social life, break up with your girlfriend. Sit in front of your laptop 7 hours a day and grind, grind, grind.

You may never achieve a decent bankroll, you may hate poker, you may commit suicide.

You sound like you are a recreational player that would like to be able to have an extra 100 or so a month from your poker play. If thats the case, dont worry bout it too much, play as you want, if you are working and can invest 200 a month then play within that, but dont kill yourself with 30+ buyins, it just wont be fun. If you lose the 200 then its no big deal.

Might be a bit rambly but basically just chill out a bit and just play and have a laugh if your not on a rush to be playing Phil Ivey heads up at 1200/3600.

Asking where do people get their bankrolls is a pretty silly question. Winning players win and thus increase their roll, Losing players lose so have to get their roll from other sources, eg. working or loans.

Most people on here DON'T have a poker bankroll in the purest form. Most are recreational or semi-serious players that just deposit money onto a site as the need it or want to play. They take out a 100 here or there from their account if the feel like they want to play a tourney in the fitz or SE. If they win then they might treat themselves, their girlfriends to something nice. If they lose then its no big deal.
    Most players on here work and have normal lives they dont concern themselves with grinding up a roll from .25c .50c. Basically, They play for fun. Simple.

Now, if you want to make money at poker on a regular basis and build your roll to the point where you are playing 50/100 plo online and playing all the EPT's, then the first thing you need to do is change the way you are thinking bout the game and bankroll.

You can't be thinking bout taking out 20's and 50's out of your online account! seriosly WTF?! you work through the levels, sign away your social life, break up with your girlfriend. Sit in front of your laptop 7 hours a day and grind, grind, grind.

You may never achieve a decent bankroll, you may hate poker, you may commit suicide.

You sound like you are a recreational player that would like to be able to have an extra 100 or so a month from your poker play. If thats the case, dont worry bout it too much, play as you want, if you are working and can invest 200 a month then play within that, but dont kill yourself with 30+ buyins, it just wont be fun. If you lose the 200 then its no big deal.

Might be a bit rambly but basically just chill out a bit and just play and have a laugh if your not on a rush to be playing Phil Ivey heads up at 1200/3600.

I think YOU have completely the wrong idea of things. Read my original post:
    Hi guys,

I was just wondering where people typically get their poker bankroll from? I play a bit here and there. Online $20 sng's maybe some 50c/25c cash games. Live I play 30-50euro freezeouts. Nothing to break the bank but it's not like I can throw money away! I know some people play some medium-high stakes games. I was just wondering typically how do people finance this? I'd imagine your typical joe soap on 25-30k a year couldnt afford to invest too much in poker. Do you save up? Is it from one major win? Bank loan? Or are you just rich?

Cheers

I wasn't asking for YOUR pearls of wisdom on poker. I was asking members individually how do they finance their poker. e.g.
    User A might say: "I've been playing about 3 years. Started out with $100 in my account playing .10/.20 and grinded my way up from there".
    User B might say: "I won a big tourny in the fitz one time, about 2k, re-invested that as my poker bankroll".
    User C might say: "Don't really like going out and stuff so pour all the spare wages I have into poker".

As I said before, I don't play at the high levels and can't exactly throw away money so I cash out the odd 20 and 50 here and there incase I tilt it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I think YOU have completely the wrong idea of things. Read my original post:

I wasn't asking for YOUR pearls of wisdom on poker. I was asking members individually how do they finance their poker. e.g.
    User A might say: "I've been playing about 3 years. Started out with $100 in my account playing .10/.20 and grinded my way up from there".
    User B might say: "I won a big tourny in the fitz one time, about 2k, re-invested that as my poker bankroll".
    User C might say: "Don't really like going out and stuff so pour all the spare wages I have into poker".

As I said before, I don't play at the high levels and can't exactly throw away money so I cash out the odd 20 and 50 here and there incase I tilt it away.

Thats a nice way to reply to someone who was trying to be genuinely helpful and answer your question.

Earlier on you complain about jokers not giving you a serious answer, then you get one and throw it back in SpencerJames' face.

I dont know, I really dont know

KevIRL wrote: »
    Thats a nice way to reply to someone who was trying to be genuinely helpful and answer your question.

Earlier on you complain about jokers not giving you a serious answer, then you get one and throw it back in SpencerJames' face.

I dont know, I really dont know

He said:

I wasn't asking for 'how poker works'. I was looking for the individual stories of how people finance their bankroll. e.g.:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭SpencerJames

hey man, you sound like your are clueless here.

Asking how people finance there poker is the most random and open question you could ask. Its vagueness gives no answer any weight.

You answered it yourself, different people have different situations. Its like asking people how they finance there house, some work, some rob, some won the lotto!Thats life!

You start asking bout bankroll management"how many buy ins would I need etc"

I answered both your questions and you attacked me. I answered your opening post!

Basically you have asked nothing of any relevance and dont seem to take the advice you seek.

Maybe you could do a bullet style list of questions you want answered and let us answer them

If you a want to know where I get my bankroll its more than likely from people like you playing scared money with no roll management and warped ideas of the game and its management!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Now now..lets not tap the aquarium pls.

hey man, you sound like your are clueless here.

Asking how people finance there poker is the most random and open question you could ask. Its vagueness gives no answer any weight.

You answered it yourself, different people have different situations. Its like asking people how they finance there house, some work, some rob, some won the lotto!Thats life!

You start asking bout bankroll management"how many buy ins would I need etc"

I answered both your questions and you attacked me. I answered your opening post!

Basically you have asked nothing of any relevance and dont seem to take the advice you seek.

Maybe you could do a bullet style list of questions you want answered and let us answer them

If you a want to know where I get my bankroll its more than likely from people like you playing scared money with no roll management and warped ideas of the game and its management!

Apart from the couple of joke answers at the start, the thread was going fine until you got invloved. I think you'll find you attacked me:
    You can't be thinking bout taking out 20's and 50's out of your online account! seriosly WTF?!

'Where do you get your bankroll?' is not a vague question. It's probably one of the most straight forward questions you can get. It's not like asking: 'how should I play jacks?'. When there are so many factors to consider, e.g. position etc.

Question: 'Where do you get your bankroll?'
    Possible Answer: 'I won a big field freezeout in the Fitz for two grand and decided to keep that aside as my poker roll'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

He said:

I wasn't asking for 'how poker works'. I was looking for the individual stories of how people finance their bankroll. e.g.:

You asked "in general".

SpencerJames gave you an excellent round up of "general" play/players and you threw it back at him, by ditching the "general" question and asking for specifics.

I think you are looking for BALLLAAAA'S :D

zzzzzzzzz........i'd just close this thread mods. Some people just love moaning about threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

Not moaning here!

I think you ask a good question. But the answer is boring.

Most poker players are losers and have no bankrolls. A very, very small % are winning and they sacrifice a lot to win. Most notably their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

if you can't aford to lose the money playing poker then don't play the game - its simple play with money you can afford to lose otherwise don't play - poker should be played so that its enjoyable - regardless of weather your playin 10c/20c or 5/10.

I'd say the majority of winning players on this forum worked their way up from the lower limits - some may have had a big score - and didn't spend that much time on the lower limits - but they grind the levels that they are rolled for and then move up or down depending on how they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

nicnicnic wrote: »
    there are unconfirmed rumours that some posters here got there bankrolls as rentboys

no need to bring your past into this:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

go to redtube, click categories

choose ghey

watch every vid 3 times until you catch the ghey

go to phoenix park, sex old men for money

enjoy it

??

=profit

deposit 1k and go busto at 50nl and think about how good your life is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Mr.Plough wrote: »

choose ghey

enjoy it

??

=profit

Ah. I did it a different way though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Blip

Wowzers, except for the posts below this thread was totally derailed, nice question op.

aya14 wrote: »
    sold my body to science all their tests came back negative, true story!
    nicnicnic wrote: »
    there are unconfirmed rumours that some posters here got there bankrolls as rentboys
    Mr.Plough wrote: »

choose ghey

enjoy it

??

=profit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement