Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you get your bankroll?

Options
  • 19-02-2009 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was just wondering where people typically get their poker bankroll from? I play a bit here and there. Online $20 sng's maybe some 50c/25c cash games. Live I play 30-50euro freezeouts. Nothing to break the bank but it's not like I can throw money away! I know some people play some medium-high stakes games. I was just wondering typically how do people finance this? I'd imagine your typical joe soap on 25-30k a year couldnt afford to invest too much in poker. Do you save up? Is it from one major win? Bank loan? Or are you just rich?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

JP gave me mine, I think he might want it back tho :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭aya14

sold my body to science all their tests came back negative, true story!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Play, porift, move up. Ez game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭SilentAssassin

Knew you jokers wouldn't give a serious answer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

manys of ways my friend. Some people grind they're way from the smallest blind levels, others deposit wages,grants or any sort of money they get, and others are stupidly rich.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

Play, porift, move up, more porift. Ez game.
    [x]porift

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Knew you jokers wouldn't give a serious answer :)
    The serious answer is people work their way up, they don't just start out with a BR of several thousand, some people do win money you know, as they win money at 50NL, then they move up to 100NL, then onto 200NL and on and on and on until they make 100,000NL, not many people here are saving up money to throw down the drain playing $25/$50 you know...

What did you honestly think happened?? People work for 2 or 3 years or 30k, save up 10k over this time and then immediately jump into huge on-line Poker games???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Donks gave it to me

Ste05 wrote: »
    The serious answer is people work their way up, they don't just start out with a BR of several thousand, some people do win money you know, as they win money at 50NL, then they move up to 100NL, then onto 200NL and on and on and on until they make 100,000NL, not many people here are saving up money to throw down the drain playing $25/$50 you know...

What did you honestly think happened?? People work for 2 or 3 years or 30k, save up 10k over this time and then immediately jump into huge on-line Poker games???

I know what I and my poker buddies do. I was just wondering overall what the majority of people do. You hear some people taking massive swings (downward) and I was just wondering how that works for them financially. I can't imagine that everyone who plays $5/$10 cash games now worked their way up from 1c/2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

Lots of people got rolled by me over the last year

• Advertisement

I know what I and my poker buddies do. I was just wondering overall what the majority of people do. You hear some people taking massive swings (downward) and I was just wondering how that works for them financially. I can't imagine that everyone who plays $5/$10 cash games now worked their way up from 1c/2c.
    Obviously not, but why not .25/.50?? or .50/1, etc.

There'll be the odd few people who jumped straight into 3/6 and ran well or some donk who luckboxed their way to a big tournament win, and then learned how to play and kept going, but the huge majority of people just grinded themselves up through the levels (this relates to the winning players, and even losing players at a certain level, could easily have won their money from a lower level, etc. etc.).

Apart from the fish and the gambling degenerates, this is where everyone that plays Poker gets their money from. Moving up and down levels...

Here's one for ya....

What do you think is a good starting bankroll and stakes for cash games and sit and go's. So if I were starting out in $10 sng's what bankroll? And for .25/.50 what bankroll?

Also what do you think is a good level to start at for someone who's not a complete beginner, i.e. knows the rules, has a year or so experience, no great success but not a fish either

Here's one for ya....

What do you think is a good starting bankroll and stakes for cash games and sit and go's. So if I were starting out in $10 sng's what bankroll? And for .25/.50 what bankroll?

Also what do you think is a good level to start at for someone who's not a complete beginner, i.e. knows the rules, has a year or so experience, no great success but not a fish either
    Not certain about SNG's but I'd imagine if you had 30 or 40 buy-ins you'd probably be grand, so around $300 - $500 for $10 SNG's, it would depend on how good you were though, just be willing to either top it up or drop down if you lose half or more.

For cash games, again it depends on your level, but generally again 30-50 Buy-Ins is recommended. so for 50NL, you'd need from $1,500 to $2,500 (for 6 max games).

But your thinking about it the wrong way, think about how much you're willing to risk and then find games to suit your BR. So if you have a job and are willing to invest money every week/month, you could tailor your levels to your money and start low and move up slightly quicker as you suppliment your BR with deposits, if you only have a certain sum to invest, divide it by 50 and that's the sort of games you should be playing. It matters more how much money you have in your BR than the skill level you are at. If Phil Ivey only had $1,000 to his name, he'd almost definitely lose it all at 1/2 (even though he's miles ahead of every single player at that level), but could easily build it up quickly by playing loads of lower levels and moving up as his BR allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

if you are a fish then you need an infinite roll end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

I was just wondering overall what the majority of people do.

Lose money. Or win, then back horses with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

grind.jpg

thedini wrote: »
    if you are a fish then you need an infinite roll end of.

fish is a very relative term

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

cooker3 wrote: »
    fish is a very relative term
    explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Many of us started when you could beat mistakes by simply not being retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

i won the lotto..been pretty much balla since then..i put it down to skill obv

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

there are unconfirmed rumours that some posters here got there bankrolls as rentboys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

nicnicnic wrote: »
    there are unconfirmed rumours that some posters here got theres bankrolls as rentboys

confirmed.. though it's prob best not to name or shame anyone
    rentboy.jpg

thedini wrote: »
    explain?

It doesn't matter how "good" or "bad" you are. It's about how everyone else in relation to you
    Just because someone can beat Fitz 1/2pl game. It doesn't mean they can beat 200nl online and on so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

cooker3 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how "good" or "bad" you are. It's about how everyone else in relation to you
    Just because someone can beat Fitz 1/2pl game. It doesn't mean they can beat 200nl online and on so.

Why not?? Very vague statement with very little substance!!

There is just as many donks at 200nl online if not more than the fitz.
    If you can beat the Fitz week in week out, no reason why that success can't be repeated online.

You trying to say that the poker player that beats 200nl online is of much higher quality of a player than a person that beats 1/2pl in the Fitz?

I think a good player can be defined by consistency and the levels in which the consistency exist, it's probably the only way of defining a "good" player. Irrelevant of the opposition, as every hour or so opposition changes and its up to the player to adjust accordingly.

In regards to the OP post, most bankrolls that I have seen come from low buyin tournaments winnings online/offline. I never saw a bankroll coming from grinding a cash game below 25c/50c (not to say it doesn't happen)

stevire wrote: »
    Why not?? Very vague statement with very little substance!!

There is just as many donks at 200nl online if not more than the fitz.
    If you can beat the Fitz week in week out, no reason why that success can't be repeated online.

You trying to say that the poker player that beats 200nl online is of much higher quality of a player than a person that beats 1/2pl in the Fitz?

I think a good player can be defined by consistency and the levels in which the consistency exist, it's probably the only way of defining a "good" player. Irrelevant of the opposition, as every hour or so opposition changes and its up to the player to adjust accordingly.

In regards to the OP post, most bankrolls that I have seen come from low buyin tournaments winnings online/offline. I never saw a bankroll coming from grinding a cash game below 25c/50c (not to say it doesn't happen)

I picked a random example of the top of my head.
    The point is poker is all relative and so are fishes. If you ask Durr then every single person on this forum is a fish. You ask me, the majority of people are bad. You ask Eddie the eagle......well you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

and its not close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭OilBeefHooked2

Hi guys,

I was just wondering where people typically get their poker bankroll from? I play a bit here and there. Online $20 sng's maybe some 50c/25c cash games. Live I play 30-50euro freezeouts. Nothing to break the bank but it's not like I can throw money away! I know some people play some medium-high stakes games. I was just wondering typically how do people finance this? I'd imagine your typical joe soap on 25-30k a year couldnt afford to invest too much in poker. Do you save up? Is it from one major win? Bank loan? Or are you just rich?

Cheers
    You can buy them in Penny's for 2.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

W

In the same way you'd say someone who won the world cup is probably of a higher standard than someone who's winning leagues in his local sunday league team, yes.

I'd rate someone beating 20nl higher than someone beating 200pl live tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Bankroll?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

start at 25 nl and work your way up
    25 nl can actually quiet profitable if you play tag and your deep!

iv just moved up to 100 nl after a badish few months playing 25 and 50 nl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement