Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electro gone to ****

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah I have to agree with Entec to a degree. A lot of those tracks seem to follow a formula of just having vastly different sounding loud noises playing against each other. Its not nice to listen to and it actually pisses me off a good bit, its very irritating.

So if thats the cream of the crop then yes electro is shot to sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Anima wrote: »
    Yeah I have to agree with Entec to a degree. A lot of those tracks seem to follow a formula of just having vastly different sounding loud noises playing against each other. Its not nice to listen to and it actually pisses me off a good bit, its very irritating.

So if thats the cream of the crop then yes electro is shot to sh*t.
    Not the cream of the crop at all, it's just whenever people hear electro house they seem to just associate it with the likes of Justice, Soulwax, etc and dismiss it because it's somewhat commercial. I was just trying to show that there's a lot more out there other than the well known stuff.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not only into electrohouse, the above is just what I like within the genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ed_ed

xdeletiax wrote: »
    new MSTRKRFT album is pants. they put MCs rapping so ppl wont notice that nothing changes throughout the track. might be fun to jump around to if your hammered drunk, but... i hoped it would be good coz theres some moments of greatness on their first album. maybe the reason ppl say it doesnt sound "current" is coz a lot of tracks are over a year old, and have been doing the rounds on musicblogs. its sorta dance music for people who are not into dance music. thats why youl find a lot of electro remixes of indie songs- bloc party, etc.

i listened to some of shadow dancers new lp "golden traxes" today and it was the first time in ages electro house didnt annoy me. i want to like electro house coz its what got me into a lot of other electronic music, but maybe i should just move on. some justice stuff's okay but i hate their singles. i like the heavier side of edbanger like sebastiAn and the kavinski ep is cool. would recommend the shadow dancer lp though.

Fist of God, It Ain't Love, Breakaway are amazing songs in my opinion. Golden Traxe kicks ass! Maybe that glitch sound is the way forward!

Some of Paul Kalkbrenner's stuff is sort of like some kinda minimal electro house or techno type thing. I think. If this is important.

No?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

• Advertisement

I don't know Paul Kalkbrenner very well. I like "bingo bongo" and "Mundgucci" is a class song. "Since 77" is a bit dark for me. Never heard of Munk before, I'll check him out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Does anyone else find the categorizing of electronic music genres really ****ing annoying ? Any thread about electro/techno/house will be filled with people arguing "thats techhouse" "no its electrohouse" blah blah blah. Gets on my nerves.

I love Justice, Soulwax, MSTRKRFT etc but can understand people getting sick of them at this stage. Out of curiosity, what genre would yea label Vitalic as ?

Tusky wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what genre would yea label Vitalic as ?

Electro

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

drop the lime, anyone?

vitalic's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

More like he was class. Still playing the same set he played 5 years ago.........

• Advertisement

On that note, saw him in UCD a while back - perhaps the worst gig ever........full of first timers and the usual benders. He's completely sold out playing those gigs.......and I'd say the same for Digitalism - none of those guy have any new stuff which is another thing that pisses me off

Now Dusty Kid.....he has some great tunes under the "Duoteque" alias

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does anyone else find the categorizing of electronic music genres really ****ing annoying ? Any thread about electro/techno/house will be filled with people arguing "thats techhouse" "no its electrohouse" blah blah blah. Gets on my nerves.

Does my head in when people are really Anal about saying "Electro House". No one I know listens to 'Real Electro' and I have yet to encounter a situation where an actual confusion arises.

Anyway, I remember when "Electrohouse" came on to the scene with a bang... Before that I did not like it but I soon warmed to it. There was some really good stuff coming out for a good while but it soon became far too commercial and then came the onslaught of really badly produced stuff which just ruined it. I've never really been into the Krafwerk, Dr Lekrtoluv, Justice etc etc

It's like fashion, these things come and go, some stay longer and some are just fads.

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    On that note, saw him in UCD a while back - perhaps the worst gig ever........full of first timers and the usual benders. He's completely sold out playing those gigs.......and I'd say the same for Digitalism - none of those guy have any new stuff which is another thing that pisses me off

Now Dusty Kid.....he has some great tunes under the "Duoteque" alias

Haha I remember that. I'd say about 90% of that crowd only knew "La Rock 01". He even played twice.

Thought of another good electrohouse one I really liked about 3 years back, the more I think about it now the more I realise that there was some good tracks there, just got sick of it really.

Hoxton Whores - Friday Saturday Love
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_1bO75KLU

ed_ed wrote: »
    Haha I remember that. I'd say about 90% of that crowd only knew "La Rock 01". He even played twice.

Yeah u know its a **** crowd when that happens......he should at least try and incorporate other peoples tunes to his sets....his "sound of citizen cd" is worth a listen though, some classic tunes on taht

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

What genre is this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56x347Y3thY

??

Seems more agressive then your common or garden electrohouse.
    I really like that glitchy erratic frenetic groove it's got goin on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

fabbydabby wrote: »
    What genre is this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56x347Y3thY

??

Seems more agressive then your common or garden electrohouse.
    I really like that glitchy erratic frenetic groove it's got goin on.
    It's just Electrohouse, you could give it a silly sub genre tag if you like but it'd just add to the usual confusing nonsense that goes with putting labels on music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Jello wrote: »
    Must say I'm into a lot of electrohouse stuff. Really like Justice, Soulwax, MSTRKRFT etc. Agreed the new MSTRKRFT album doesn't live up to expectations, but it does have its moments, Fist of God is an amazing song.

Some of the less commercial electrohousey stuff I'd listen to:

IMO, they're all amazing tracks, so I certainly don't think it's gone to ****.

Brilliant tune man...totally agree with you there! Love the video too, reminds me of the Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" :-D Both them and the Crookers are doing Italy proud!

I love Justice, Soulwax, MSTRKRFT etc but can understand people getting sick of them at this stage. Out of curiosity, what genre would yea label Vitalic as ?

I second that motion...nothing worse than listening to people bitch and whine about what category, sub-category or super-snob-sub-category a tune falls under.

On another note, lets not all turn our backs on electro house, its done its justice (no pun intended) over the years. Yes, the large majority of electro house releases of late are utter turd, however there are a few gems out there that keep it interesting, you just have to look harder nowadays.

To summarise, I believe that your generic electro house sound has been milked to the last drop, even your "bling bling" rnb track are using electro house samples! Finding innovative electro house is a rare occasion these days but when it does happen, its exciting :-D

I'm not completely slating it either. I was completely thrown off dance music as a whole from abou 2001-2004 - dj's like erol alkan definitely reignited my love/obsession for the music.

With all due respect though, i presume you're not talking about Crookers when you say @finding innovative EH is rare but when it happens they're exciting". I wouldn't say their tunes are hard to stumble across for any electro house fan. If you know any good, recent, electrohouse tunes by any of the artists not already mentioned in this thread feel free to post them. I'd be keen to give them a listen.......

but please no deadmau5!

To summarise, I believe that your generic electro house sound has been milked to the last drop, even your "bling bling" rnb track are using electro house samples! Finding innovative electro house is a rare occasion these days but when it does happen, its exciting :-D[/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Entec

look, its not hard to FIND OUT that "electrohouse" is s***e. use your EARS

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gerry99

people puttin 2 many labels & genre's on things , relax & enjoy it for what it is !!!! electronic music ive been lovin for years >> stephan bodzin , the subs , anthony rother , hacker , m.a.n.d.y , trentemoller ~~~ loves it :D

gerry99 wrote: »
    people puttin 2 many labels & genre's on things , relax & enjoy it for what it is !!!! electronic music ive been lovin for years >> stephan bodzin , the subs , anthony rother , hacker , m.a.n.d.y , trentemoller ~~~ loves it :D

the lables are CLEAR

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    I'm not completely slating it either. I was completely thrown off dance music as a whole from abou 2001-2004 - dj's like erol alkan definitely reignited my love/obsession for the music.

With all due respect though, i presume you're not talking about Crookers when you say @finding innovative EH is rare but when it happens they're exciting". I wouldn't say their tunes are hard to stumble across for any electro house fan. If you know any good, recent, electrohouse tunes by any of the artists not already mentioned in this thread feel free to post them. I'd be keen to give them a listen.......

but please no deadmau5!

To summarise, I believe that your generic electro house sound has been milked to the last drop, even your "bling bling" rnb track are using electro house samples! Finding innovative electro house is a rare occasion these days but when it does happen, its exciting :-D
    [/QUOTE]

for anyone to like electrohouse AKA "disorted noise bollix no brainer music" hasent a clue about the orginins about electronic music.

for anyone to like electrohouse AKA "disorted noise bollix no brainer music" hasent a clue about the orginins about electronic music.

I do actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Entec wrote: »
    I do actually.

As do I.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

I do actually.
    Jello wrote: »
    As do I.

Same as.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

that shadowdancer guy i was on about did a mix recently for xlr8r, yall can download it here:

http://feeds.xlr8r.com/~r/xlr8rmp3/~5/wqZtAwtMc38/Podcast_Mix_2009_02_19.mp3

01 The Parallax Corporation - "Whore of the Floor"
    02 Franz Ferdinand - "Ulysses (Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve Remix)"
    03 Grace Jones - "Williams' Blood (Aeroplane Remix)"
    04 John Carpenter - "The End (Part 1: Disco Version)"
    05 LFO - "You Have to Understand"
    06 Joe Smooth - "Promised Land"
    07 Prince - "Controversy"
    08 Elecktroids - "Future Tone"
    09 Rainer Werner Bassfinder - "Minimal Scarf ****ers Drown!"
    10 Zapp - "More Bounce to the Ounce"
    11 Telex - "Moskow Diskow"
    12 Nightmares on Wax - "Sal Batardes"
    13 Pet Shop Boys - "Being Boring (Extended Mix)"
    14 The Paradise - "I'm in Love with You"
    15 The Cars - "Candy-O"
    16 Herbie Hancock - "Rockit"
    17 Luke Vibert - "Propertronics"
    18 Shadow Dancer - "Together"
    19 Fantom - "Faithfull"
    20 The Bucketheads - "Whew!"
    21 Zoot Woman - "Living in a Magazine (Paper Faces Remix)"
    22 Octave One - "Black Water"
    23 Friendly Fires - "On Board"
    24 Jedi Knights - "Public Funk"
    25 Hashim - "Al-Naafyish"
    26 Chromeo - "Needy Girl (Shadow Dancer Remix)"
    27 Alan Braxe & Fred Falke - "Intro"
    28 Infiniti - "Game One"
    29 The Plan - "Escapism"
    30 Clark - "New Year Storm"
    31 Carl Craig - "A Wonderful Life"
    32 Giorgio Moroder - "From Here to Eternity"
    33 New Order - "Perfect Kiss"
    34 Mr. De' - "Superugly"
    35 Silicone Soul - "Right on 4 Tha Darkness"
    36 Ric Ocasek - "Jimmy Jimmy"
    37 Superdiscount - "Fast Track"
    38 Bandulu - "Weak Heart"
    39 Clor - "Good Stuff"
    40 Underworld - "Born Slippy"
    40 Visage - "Frequency 7"
    42 Daft Punk - "Superheroes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

If you guys dont already go there, i seriously recommend the newgrounds audio portal. Some of the best music ive heard in yeas is on that site.

Advertisement